What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (10 Viewers)

CHICAGO (Jan. 8, 2016) - U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has made four additions to roster for the January training camp in Carson, California.

Goalkeeper David Bingham, defenders Steve Birnbaum and Brandon Vincent, and midfielder Perry Kitchen will report to U.S. Soccers National Training Center for the start of training Monday.

San Jose Earthquakes duo of midfielder Fatai Alashe and defender Marc Pelosi have withdrawn from camp due to injury.
If Vincent gets capped:

Stanford - 2

Union - 0

:(

(Unless the Union draft Vincent :excited: ... but they'll screw it up somehow :kicksrock: )

U.S. Abroad: Gonzalez impresses in Liga MX debut

by Paul Kennedy, January 10th, 2016 6:28PM

Omar Gonzalez assisted on the tying goal as Pachuca tied Tijuana, 1-1, on the road in his Liga MX debut. Jorge Villafana made his Mexican league debut in Santos' 2-0 loss at Leon.

Gonzalez showed his prowess in the air, flicking a header to teammate Franco Jara for the equalizer and stabilizing the backline for Pachuca, which finished with 10 men after a red card to Hugo Rodriguez in the 78th minute.

Among the eight Americans on the Tijuana roster, only Paul Arriola dressed, and he came on and impressed in the second half of the match, which marked Miguel Herrera's debut as Xolos coach.

Jorge Villafana made his Mexican league debut, starting at left back in Santos' 2-0 loss at Leon. Santos won last year's Torneo Clausura but is coming off a disastrous Torneo Apertura during which it didn't win a game at home.

It named 34-year-old Luis Francisco Zubeldia to coach the team in the Torneo Clausura. He is the youngest coach in Liga MX but has plenty of experience. He was the youngest head coach ever in his native Argentine when he debuted at Lanus at the age of 27.

Among the nine Americans to play on the Liga MX opening weekend were Joe Corona and Sonny Guadarrama, who both debuted at Dorados. For Corona, it is his third club in a year after Tijuana and Veracruz. Guadarrama, who hails from Austin, Texas, returned to Liga MX after a three-year absence. He has spent most of his career at Atlante and Merida.

-- In England, U-23 keeper Cody Cropper made his FA Cup debut in MK Dons' 2-2 tie at Northampton Town.

U.S. Abroad, Weekend:

England, FA Cup

Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), did not dress, 2-1 at Doncaster Rovers

Cody Cropper (MK Dons), 90 minutes, 2-2 vs. Northampton Town

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), on bench, 1-1 at Wycombe Wanderers

Duane Holmes (Huddersfield Town), on bench, 2-2 vs. Reading

Tim Howard (Everton), on bench, 2-0 vs. Dagenham & Redbridge

Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), did not dress, 1-2 at Sheffield Wednesday

Eric Lichaj (Nott. Forest), sub-20 minutes, 1-0 vs. Queens Park Rangers

Tim Ream (Fulham), sub-20 minutes, 1-2 at Sheffield Wednesday

Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City), 90 minutes, 1-2 vs. Bournemouth

Danny Williams (Reading), 90 minutes, 2-2 at Huddersfield Town

DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), 90 minutes, 1-3 at Arsenal

France, Ligue 1

Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), sub-27 minutes, 2-1 vs. St. Etienne

Mexico, Liga MX

Ventura Alvarado (Club America), 90 minutes, 0-0 vs. Puebla

Paul Arriola (Tijuana), sub-25 minutes, 1-1 vs. Pachuca

Jonathan Bornstein (Queretaro), 90 minutes, 1-3 vs. Atlas

Edgar Castillo (Monterrey), 90 minutes, 1-0 vs. UNAM

Joe Corona (Dorados), 66 minutes, 0-1 at Chiapas

Gabriel Farfan (Chiapas), did not dress, 1-0 vs. Dorados

Greg Garza (Tijuana), did not dress, 1-1 vs. Pachuca

Luis Gil (Queretaro), did not dress, 1-3 vs. Atlas

Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), 90 minutes, 1-1 at Tijuana

Sonny Guadarrama (Dorados), 90 minutes, 0-1 at Chiapas

Alejandro Guido (Tijuana), did not dress, 1-1 vs. Pachuca

Miguel Ibarra (Leon), on bench, 2-0 vs. Santos

Michael Orozco (Tijuana), did not dress, 1-1 vs. Pachuca

Luis Silva (Tigres), did not dress, 0-1 at Toluca

Jose Torres (Tigres), on bench, 0-1 at Toluca

Jorge Villafana (Santos), 90 minutes, 0-2 at Leon

William Yarbrough (Leon), 90 minutes, 2-0 vs. Santos

Scotland, FA Cup

Gedion Zelalem (Rangers), 61 minutes, 5-1 vs. Cowdenbeath

Sounds like Morris is impressing people:

The Bremen CEO added that he was particularly impressed with his direct movements to the goal.

"He's a typical American lad, always positive," Eichin said.

Morris' MLS rights are held by the Seattle Sounders, but he could still sign for Bremen on a free transfer.

"We have to check a few things first, it's about compensation," Eichin said. "This could be a creative transfer."
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2785293/jordan-morris-does-things-you-rarely-see-werder-bremen-ceo

Sammy3469 said:

The Bremen CEO added that he was particularly impressed with his direct movements to the goal.

Morris' MLS rights are held by the Seattle Sounders, but he could still sign for Bremen on a free transfer.

"We have to check a few things first, it's about compensation," Eichin said. "This could be a creative transfer."
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2785293/jordan-morris-does-things-you-rarely-see-werder-bremen-ceo
I wonder why the CEO thinks it needs to be creative? It is a simple free transfer I think, so all they really need to show Morris better money and/or better opportunity to play than Seattle.

Sammy3469 said:

I wonder why the CEO thinks it needs to be creative? It is a simple free transfer I think, so all they really need to show Morris better money and/or better opportunity to play than Seattle.
I took creative to mean that the CEO thought it was fairly nuts that a 22 year old that wasn't in a pro environment was this good.

Sammy3469 said:

I took creative to mean that the CEO thought it was fairly nuts that a 22 year old that wasn't in a pro environment was this good.
That warms the heart a bit....

Bill Hamid has been sent home from camp with a knee injury (he had it before camp but JK wanted the US trainers to evaluate him).

Sean Johnson has been called up as a replacement.

I am not sure I see anything wrong if JK convinced Morris to take the trial. It can't hurt to see one's total options.

===================================

From ESPN

If Morris ultimately is tempted to sign overseas, it will no doubt increase the rift between Klinsmann and MLS. Multiple sources indicated that Morris' mind was essentially made up to sign with Seattle weeks ago but Klinsmann convinced Morris to accept Bremen's offer to go on trial. U.S. assistant and former Werder Bremen player Andi Herzog help set up the training stint and was later quoted as saying that it was the goal of he and Klinsmann to "get as many players to Europe as possible" -- he later told FoxSports.com that he was misquoted.

I am not sure I see anything wrong if JK convinced Morris to take the trial. It can't hurt to see one's total options.

From ESPN

If Morris ultimately is tempted to sign overseas, it will no doubt increase the rift between Klinsmann and MLS. Multiple sources indicated that Morris' mind was essentially made up to sign with Seattle weeks ago but Klinsmann convinced Morris to accept Bremen's offer to go on trial. U.S. assistant and former Werder Bremen player Andi Herzog help set up the training stint and was later quoted as saying that it was the goal of he and Klinsmann to "get as many players to Europe as possible" -- he later told FoxSports.com that he was misquoted.
MLS is on vacation. They should all be on trials if they can get them.

Strong statement considering how much Paulson hates Seattle

=================

"I don't think you're going to find a single MLS owner who's going to be an advocate of Jurgen Klinsmann. This is a guy who's got a clear agenda that's an anti-MLS agenda."

-- Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson when asked about the conflict of interests between MLS and the national team program that surfaced with remarks by U.S. U-23 national team coach Andi Herzog in the German media around Jordan Morris' stay at Werder Bremen.

=================

"I don't think you're going to find a single MLS owner who's going to be an advocate of Jurgen Klinsmann. This is a guy who's got a clear agenda that's an anti-MLS agenda."

-- Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson when asked about the conflict of interests between MLS and the national team program that surfaced with remarks by U.S. U-23 national team coach Andi Herzog in the German media around Jordan Morris' stay at Werder Bremen.
and this assist from today's friendly is why I'll be more than a little surprised if he ends up with the Sounders

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/687983498595069953

=================

and this assist from today's friendly is why I'll be more than a little surprised if he ends up with the Sounders

Paulson had more strong words that I missed from the one quote I saw. Here is the full context. I think/hope JK won't hold a grudge here and punish Nagbe for these comments.

==============================

Paulson went on the Soccer Made in Portland podcast, published Thursday, and addressed a quote from U.S. assistant Andi Herzog in a German publication that said the team’s goal was to bring as many American players to Europe as possible. Herzog said later he was misquoted, but Paulson reacted strongly to the comments and expressed his frustration with the national team staff and Klinsmann in particular as MLS attempts to grow its league and presence in the national sports landscape.

“There's no doubt that Herzog was quoted correctly, because that's an accurate sentiment among the coaches for the U.S. National Team right now. That stems from the top and that stems from Jurgen,” Paulson said.

“I don't think you're going to find a single MLS owner who's going to be an advocate for Jurgen Klinsmann. This is a guy who's got a clear agenda that's an anti-MLS agenda. He makes emotional decisions. Landon Donovan would be a case in point. There's very much an agenda to get people playing abroad and probably rewarding some people playing abroad who don't deserve to be playing. That's one opinion, that's my opinion.”

Paulson also discussed Timbers midfielder Darlington Nagbe, a member of the men’s national team, as he continued.

“Obviously, Darlington Nagbe is on the team and I hope me expressing any sort of candid answer to you on that question doesn't have any impact there. We support Nagbe and we're thrilled that Jurgen rates him, but he's crapped all over MLS in many ways subtle and not subtle. For this sport to be successful in this country, for the national team to be successful, the national team and our domestic league need to be pointing in the same direction more often than not and that just hasn't been the case under Jurgen Klinsmann.”

Last edited by a moderator:

=================

#52 in your program, #1 in your hearts

Twellman reported yesterday that Bedoya was close to signing with Colorado but then Bedoya followed that report up with unclear tweet.

Alejandro Bedoya

@AleBedoya17

One thing made evident to me recently is can't ever trust the 'smiling nice guy handshake deal.' #BusinessAsUsual #NobodyWins

=================

#52 in your program, #1 in your hearts
Kills me that he puts it right on the guy's foot and the comments are all about how he doesn't have a left foot. I love American fans.

"that guy's really fit"

high praise.
You'll have to trust me that it didn't sound like the typical American player back-handed compliment. If anything, it might have been a subtle jab at Bacon. If it helps, Anthony Ujah (another striker) said the team needed a player with Morris' speed.

We know what kind of player Morris is. If they praised his technical ability, we'd know that was BS. We know he's not super technical. But he's a guy who combines high athleticism with the type of opportunism that guys with "high soccer IQs" like Wondo have. Those types of players tend to do well in the Bundesliga.

Is it so far off base to compare Jordan to a pre injury davies? Davies was probably more developed with his back to goal, but in terms of movement and speed I see some similarities

From ESPN

MLS is on vacation. They should all be on trials if they can get them.
I did not put 2 and 2 together until I saw Paulson's comments today.

I guess the whole "I was misquoted" statement from Andi was likely him trying to respect what ever muzzle order was placed on them from US Soccer and also trying to protect his future coaching chances in MLS.

This whole MLS/JK fued continues to amuse me.

1) JK clearly hates MLS. Many things he says are right and many things he says are wrong about the league, but the way he has handled it has been a complete cluster #### for a guy charged with trying to improve our academies of which most of the best players in the country are in MLS academies.

2) MLS brass clearly hates JK. Similarly, many things they say about him are right and wrong. I think their responses to JK's comments have been over the top at times but I can understand their frustration.

3) JK has, on average, used more MLS players on his roster than either Bradley or Arena did. I realize there are some extenuating circumstances that cause this but this statement still stands in direct contrast to the two points above.

As many things as I don't like about JK, I have never felt he was unfair in his player choices (outside of Landon, which had to have been personal). Sure one can always question a choice here or there but for the most part I think it is fair to say that there are hardly MLS players who are significantly better than the players he calls from Europe and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't really get it. Mix is still getting called into camp after not only leaving Europe for MLS, but playing so indifferently in MLS that NYCFC is bringing in "competition." Zardes was given 14 caps in his first year with the team. Sacha barely got a sniff while playing Champions League games with Anderlecht. Yedlin was getting capped at RB as a 20 year old MLS player while Lichaj and Ream were playing well in the Championship. Cameron barely featured while starting every game at Stoke.

Maybe Brooks and Chandler have been given more rope than other guys have. I can see that.

Pulisic got a goal in BVB's friendly today. Vine.

Nothing too special, but I kind of like how he sold that he was opening up his body to pick the far post and then hit it low and hard near post. If I were a typical English color guy, I'd say he gave the goalkeeper the eyes.

We'll see if Timmy is ready to come back. He was really coming under a lot of heat from the Everton fans, but just had his best game of the season by far against City. Wouldn't shock me to see Guzan come back somewhere to. I think he's done at Villa.

At least Cletius was asking a genuine question. I have no idea. I do think it probably caught the defender a bit off guard and helped him get the cross in. But I'm a powerful rationalization machine.
apparently it's known as a "trivela"

At least Cletius was asking a genuine question. I have no idea. I do think it probably caught the defender a bit off guard and helped him get the cross in. But I'm a powerful rationalization machine.
That's what I figured too. Not much of a chance for the defender to react to that. Much shorter wind up than if he had done that lefty.

Sammy3469 said:
NewlyRetired said:

=================

because they don't like guys who can kick with their left?

NewlyRetired said:
TLEF316 said:
Is it so far off base to compare Jordan to a pre injury davies? Davies was probably more developed with his back to goal, but in terms of movement and speed I see some similarities
Interesting comparison! And they were both college products as well.
yeah- good one.

feel like they both have/had a clear mindset of direct play, pace and ideas in terms of runs and passes.

Davies was crazily strong on the ball (IIRC, he wrestled?) and had a great ability to position his body, whether on the run through pace/knowledge or on the ball with strength/skills. Haven't seen enough of Morris to know if he has that or not- but I seem to recall him holding the ball a few times... more than just running at goal. I almost want to say Morris is faster than Davies was too.

also haven't seen enough of combo play from Morris, but Davies and Jozy just got each other- complimented each others' play sooo well. hopefully Morris can find that guy or has the ability to find it with anybody. Jozy obviously hasn't.

NewlyRetired said:
TLEF316 said:
Interesting comparison! And they were both college products as well.
yeah- good one.

feel like they both have/had a clear mindset of direct play, pace and ideas in terms of runs and passes.

Davies was crazily strong on the ball (IIRC, he wrestled?) and had a great ability to position his body, whether on the run through pace/knowledge or on the ball with strength/skills. Haven't seen enough of Morris to know if he has that or not- but I seem to recall him holding the ball a few times... more than just running at goal. I almost want to say Morris is faster than Davies was too.

also haven't seen enough of combo play from Morris, but Davies and Jozy just got each other- complimented each others' play sooo well. hopefully Morris can find that guy or has the ability to find it with anybody. Jozy obviously hasn't.
I am really bad at predicting which players work well with others but I want to see Morris and Rubin play together at the international level in the coming years.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Yeah, I don't really get it. Mix is still getting called into camp after not only leaving Europe for MLS, but playing so indifferently in MLS that NYCFC is bringing in "competition." Zardes was given 14 caps in his first year with the team. Sacha barely got a sniff while playing Champions League games with Anderlecht. Yedlin was getting capped at RB as a 20 year old MLS player while Lichaj and Ream were playing well in the Championship. Cameron barely featured while starting every game at Stoke.

Maybe Brooks and Chandler have been given more rope than other guys have. I can see that.
This whole thing is just who knows who.

and then over here you got favoritism.

"that guy's really fit"

high praise.
You'll have to trust me that it didn't sound like the typical American player back-handed compliment. If anything, it might have been a subtle jab at Bacon. If it helps, Anthony Ujah (another striker) said the team needed a player with Morris' speed.

We know what kind of player Morris is. If they praised his technical ability, we'd know that was BS. We know he's not super technical. But he's a guy who combines high athleticism with the type of opportunism that guys with "high soccer IQs" like Wondo have. Those types of players tend to do well in the Bundesliga.
ok- good.

I'm just too used that back-handed non-compliment for all these years.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but Morris seems to have some decent skills- clearly not all-world type skills, but a good base with which to complement his physical skills (fitness, speed, etc). and he's definitely not looked out of place playing for the Nats- even in limited minutes gets himself involved and creates chances... can't ask for more from a forward- youngster or vet.

I'd love to see Bacon stay healthy- those two actually might complement each other well.

NewlyRetired said:
CletiusMaximus said:
Is this some fancy technique, or does it just mean Morris really hates using his left foot?

assist
lol

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/708312-us-mens-national-team-january-camp/?p=18782266
I used to do this all the time... both the rationalization and using the outside of my right.

in my case- and I think it was the case in the video- it would be a matter of where the ball was at my feet, where my feet were in stride, and the timing of when I needed to hit the ball to the guy making a run.

that said... watching again... it looks like he's setting up with the previous couple of touches to hit it with his right.

no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread