Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

Brazil has earned like 3 penalty shots and have been awarded zero of them.  I'd be throwing things at the tv if this happened to the US.

And Peru should have been awarded a penalty for that trip in the box. The officiating in this tournament has been extremely poor. 

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Everyone from our group wanted to avoid them in the quarters too and now they may not even advance :)

Our history against Ecuador is anything but great.  

Wish this matchup was later as I cheer for Ecuador pretty hard.

30 minutes ago, Sand said:

Didn't we just beat them less than 3 weeks ago? I know we've lost most of the meaningful games against them historically, but we're talking 25-30 years ago. I don't see that those results hold any bearing on the present. 

16 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

I'm still OK with it.  The US should get far better fan support in Seattle than they would have vs anyone in NY, including Peru.

I was more talking about Colombia getting rewarded by throwing the game.  They not only miss Brazil, they get huge home field advantage in NY.

Edited by NewlyRetired

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I was more talking about Colombia getting rewarded by throwing the game.  They not only miss Brazil, they get huge home field advantage in NY.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Per Ives:

BTW, anyone expecting a Colombian-dominated crowd on Friday at MetLife better think again. More Peruvians in NJ than anywhere outside Peru.

edit - of course to your point, Colombia had a 24-hour head start on tix

Edited by Ted Lange as your Bartender
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Per Ives:

BTW, anyone expecting a Colombian-dominated crowd on Friday at MetLife better think again. More Peruvians in NJ than anywhere outside Peru.

I was impressed by the Peru fans at Gillette.  I think they out numbered (at least in noise) the Brazilian fans which have a huge community here.

Should be good prices at the game in New Jersey since you gotta think Brazil fans will be selling em off now.

There's a lot of everyone in this area.  I saw Morocco play Saudi Arabia here ar the World Cup and there was plenty of supporters for both.

-QG

8 hours ago, Evilgrin 72 said:
8 hours ago, Sand said:

Didn't we just beat them less than 3 weeks ago? I know we've lost most of the meaningful games against them historically, but we're talking 25-30 years ago. I don't see that those results hold any bearing on the present. 

We did, but you could tell Ecuador didn't give a #### about the game.

So I did end up buying tickets last week in anticipation of USMNT vs. Brazil in the QF at MetLife stadium.  I went from elated that the US won and we were a near lock to seeing them play Brazil to holding tickets for Peru v Colombia. :lol:  What a forking mess....  2 losses that were so unlikely to happen went down in the same weekend.  WTF?  When I realized I was disappointed but the US won the group, it was a really confusing moment :loco: 

Reselling on ticketmaster was super easy, thankfully.  

• Like 3

Saturday's USA-Paraguay game averaged 2,061,000 viewers on FS1, making it the most-watched men’s soccer match in the network’s history for the second straight game.

U.S. Men on FSI (2016 Viewership):
AVG. GAME (EVENT)
2,061,000 USA-Paraguay (Copa Centenario, June 2016)
1,600,000 USA-Costa Rica (Copa Centenario, June 2016)
1,536,000 USA-Colombia (Copa Centenario, June 2016)
454,000 USA-Bolivia (Friendly, May 2016)
304,000 Puerto Rico-USA (Friendly, May 2016)
294,000 USA-Canada (Friendly, February 2016

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ned said:

We did, but you could tell Ecuador didn't give a #### about the game.

and were missing a few starters... and still controlled things until the end when they REALLY didn't give a crap and were just trying to finish without getting hurt.

12 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Saturday's USA-Paraguay game averaged 2,061,000 viewers on FS1, making it the most-watched men’s soccer match in the network’s history for the second straight game.

AVG. GAME (EVENT)

will US v Ecuador continue that trend? Thursday night game might make it a tougher sell- although Stanley Cup and maybe NBA will both be done, potentially drawing more "sports" fans in.

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

will US v Ecuador continue that trend? Thursday night game might make it a tougher sell- although Stanley Cup and maybe NBA will both be done, potentially drawing more "sports" fans in.

Typically the later west coast starts draw less.  This is a 9:30 ET start time I think so it is not too late but being a work and school night does not help.  

If Golden State does not win tonight, their game is Thursday so it will be in direct competition which will affect the English numbers.

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

AVG. GAME (EVENT)

2.4 million more on Univision giving the US Paraguay game over 4.4 million viewers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

every touch video for John Brooks amazing game against Paraguay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHP853EHoU

Probably no one will believe me, but Jeff Agoos had a game like that for DCU in the 1998 CONCACAF Cup.  I can't remember if it was the semis (Leon) or the final (Toluca) but he played CB and was absolutely everywhere.  Every ball found him.  I can't find the quote now, but the coach of the Mexican team said as much after the match.

Edited by wdcrob

20 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I'll add a few more observations from being in the stands yesterday in the Outlaws section.

The base of support for US soccer is young, like early 20s through 40 years old. In the AO section the amount of Spanish spoken, yelled, cursed was astounding to me, easily 30%. The more emotional the outburst, the more likely it was delivered in Spanish. These people (men and women) are fully bilingual, probably first generation who saw their parents cheer for their home county in Latin America and now they cheer for their home country.

Both bode well for the USMNT.

Really odd as I've sat with in AO section for 3 matches and have not noticed anyone speaking/yelling in Spanish. Not discounting what you're saying at all simply offering observation from my experiences. Might it have something to do with the location of the match? The three I've been to are twice in Columbus and once in Chicago.

So what's the best option for replacing Yedlin? As I understand it one of Ecuador's best/fastest players is Jefferson Montero who loves to tear down the left wing and create havoc. Yedlin would have been perfect given his speed to keep him in check. Options look like simply putting in Orozco/Castillo and leave the rest of the back line alone. Option 2 is to move Fabian Johnson from left back to right back to cover Montero and then put Orozco/Castillo at left back.

Option 1 obviously is the least disruption to a back line that's played well but puts a lot of pressure on a new starter to cover one of Ecuador's best players. Option 2 probably puts the best available defender on Montero but switches up 1/2 the back line.

1 minute ago, Buzzbait said:

So what's the best option for replacing Yedlin? As I understand it one of Ecuador's best/fastest players is Jefferson Montero who loves to tear down the left wing and create havoc. Yedlin would have been perfect given his speed to keep him in check. Options look like simply putting in Orozco/Castillo and leave the rest of the back line alone. Option 2 is to move Fabian Johnson from left back to right back to cover Montero and then put Orozco/Castillo at left back.

Option 1 obviously is the least disruption to a back line that's played well but puts a lot of pressure on a new starter to cover one of Ecuador's best players. Option 2 probably puts the best available defender on Montero but switches up 1/2 the back line.

Castillo won't play rb imo.

so it either (rb/lb): Fab/Castillo, Fab/Besler or Orozco/Fab

I think JK prefers Orozco as evidenced by his sub against Paraguay but you point about Montero could likely force him to change his mind.

20 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

I've wondered about this too and think the Fab swap makes the most sense to me.  Can't afford to let Montero blitz by Orozco for 90 minutes. 

Who's their right winger?  Can Besler survive?

14 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Castillo won't play rb imo.

so it either (rb/lb): Fab/Castillo, Fab/Besler or Orozco/Fab

I think JK prefers Orozco as evidenced by his sub against Paraguay but you point about Montero could likely force him to change his mind.

Agree that under normal conditions that JK would prefer to play Orozco at RB. I'm sure his first inclination would be to put him in that slot and leave the rest of the back line alone. I just don't know how much he trusts him to keep Montero in check. If he doesn't then he's going to be forced to make two changes at the LB/RB positions by moving Fab over.

2 minutes ago, Ned said:

I've wondered about this too and think the Fab swap makes the most sense to me.  Can't afford to let Montero blitz by Orozco for 90 minutes. 

Who's their right winger?  Can Besler survive?

Antonio Valencia from Man United. :no:  So pick your poison.

Both Montero and Valencia are going to pose issues but from what I gather Montero is the more dangerous.

3 minutes ago, wdcrob said:

US bookmakers have the US as a very small favorite, British oddsmakers have it the other way around.  Overall, it's basically a pick em.

seems generally fair.  Although at home in front of what should be a pretty solid US based crowd in Seattle, I would have expected the US to be slightly favored all around.

14 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I really don't see why we'd change our system much.  The backline has been our strength all tournament.  I'd imagine we'll see Orozco simply because it would be the move that would change the chemistry on the backline the least. 

I agree, but I don't want Zardes starting at LM in front of Orozco.  Someone that's a little more solid defensively to help that side would be advised.  ETA, I mean RM.

Edited by Poke_4_Life
brain fart

1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

16 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I really don't see why we'd change our system much.  The backline has been our strength all tournament.  I'd imagine we'll see Orozco simply because it would be the move that would change the chemistry on the backline the least. 

I agree, but I don't want Zardes starting at LM in front of Orozco.  Someone that's a little more solid defensively to help that side would be advised.  ETA, I mean RM.

Edited just now by Poke_4_Life
brain fart

I could see Bedoya playing a big part of hanging back and adding support following runs. he's got the motor and the wheels. plus, more car analogy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

If JK does what El Floppo suggests (i.e. putting Orozco in at RB where Yedlin was previously) then he'd have Bedoya in front of him. I might be misinterpreting your OP and edit but you seem to be concerned that Zardes would be in front of Orozco and that wouldn't happen unless JK displaced two on the back line.

JK was so concerned about Cuadrado that he had Jones track back a lot to help Fab.

One could say that Montero and Valencia both present a similar skill set and danger that Cuadrado did for Colombia but there is no way JK could sacrifice both Bedoya and Jones to help Orozco and Fab unless he just wants to play for a counter and if that does not show, go for pks after 90.

11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

JK can do whatever he wants because we'll be fine no matter what.  Want to know why?

John ####### Brooks!

I have always liked Brooks but I was also concerned that he was always going to lean towards the "elegant" side of the game instead of leaning towards the more "physical" side of the game.

I really love that he seems to be asserting himself physically.  Strong mentioned it during the first game and I thought it was an interesting character building moment when he stood over the Colombia player threateningly and started jabbing.  It reminded me of the toughness Gooch used to provide for the team in his prime.

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

JK can do whatever he wants because we'll be fine no matter what.  Want to know why?

John ####### Brooks!

:pickle:

I read in an ESPN article this morning his nickname is "Berlin Wall"...oh hell yeah.  Great nickname.

Edited by TripItUp

2 minutes ago, TripItUp said:
47 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

John ####### Brooks!

:pickle:

I read in an ESPN article this morning his nickname is "Berlin Wall"...oh hell yeah.  Great nickname.

:thumbup: Every time he was on screen clearing the ball or making a big stop, I'd yell at the TV......"BRICK ####### WALL!" :towelwave: 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

and pusilic up front by himself, 9 other guys standing around haranguing the ref 

casual fan take:  holy #### soccer players complain to the ref more than NBA players. between the flopping and the complaining about fouls it's hard to tell which is worse but it's pretty bad. everyone seems to agree that both sets of officials are just horrible at their job.