Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

casual fan take:  holy #### soccer players complain to the ref more than NBA players. between the flopping and the complaining about fouls it's hard to tell which is worse but it's pretty bad. everyone seems to agree that both sets of officials are just horrible at their job.

it's gotten increasingly terrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The following US players are carrying a yellow into the quarter finals.  Any of these who pick up a yellow against Ecuador will have to sit out the semis should the US advance:

 

Fab, Orozco, Bradley, Wood, Jones, Brooks, Bedoya

 

 

Sure felt like we got more yellows than that last game.  Didn't Dempsey get one?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

what i want to know is does Dempsey get punched in the face every couple months so as to maintain the permanent black eye? or is that some kind of makeup that he applies pre-game?

He always has at least one black eye.  

Is Dempsey married?  If a chick had a black eye as often as him then the husband/partner would be thought of as an abuser.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

He always has at least one black eye.  

Is Dempsey married?  If a chick had a black eye as often as him then the husband/partner would be thought of as an abuser.  

I think it's a tattoo to give him more cred for his rapping career.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

I think it's a tattoo to give him more cred for his rapping career.

5 year olds are required to remove jewelry before games. does he have to take his grill out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From ESPN via Kicker

========================

United States international Aron Johannsson's return to the Werder Bremen team will not be rushed and there are no plans to have him take part in the preseason, according to the club's sporting director, Frank Baumann.

Johannsson, 25, last featured for Werder Bremen in September 2015, and has since been sidelined with a nerve irritation in the hip and groin region.

Speaking to local paper Kreiszeitung, Baumann ruled out an early return for Johannsson.

"He will get all the time he needs, but he won't be able to take part in the preseason," Baumann said, adding that they have not written the forward off. "He naturally plays a role in our squad planning, although we know that he won't be there for the start of the season."

Johannsson joined Bremen from AZ Alkmaar last summer, and the Bundesliga club still have hope that he can add to the two league goals he scored in six outings before the injury.

"We have a lot of patience. He will certainly help us long-term. But an exact prognosis [when he will return] is really difficult. It's not a fracture or a tear," Baumann said. "It's not an easy situation for Aron."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Oh the life of the artists doing that...

Kids used to make fun of them...oh, you little sissy boy going to art school....

Now he paints on the jubblies of hot women.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Oh the life of the artists doing that...

Kids used to make fun of them...oh, you little sissy boy going to art school....

Now he paints on the jubblies of hot women.

Never thought of it that way. My son is still young...I will not deter him from making a living as an artist given the obvious myriad of possibilities it offers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

9:30 game tomorrow is a bit of a nut punch.  Gonna have to lug my 2nd tv into the living room so I can watch the basketball game at the same time.  

The NBA game is going to take a huge chunk of the English audience.  It will be interesting to compare these numbers on Thursday to the previous English numbers which did not go up against the finals.

On a more positive note, if the US does advance, they get a semi final on Tuesday night against likely Argentina and Messi against almost no national sports competition.  If this comes to pass it will easily set a new record for FS1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The shock Brazil elimination has left me adrift in my expectations.

I was so convinced that the US would be playing Brazil in NY that I kind of set my general expectations at a quarter final loss.  

Now the US is not only avoiding Brazil, the US also gets a significantly more US friendly location in Seattle compared to NY, and I think I am going to be disappointed if they don't advance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went into this thing just hoping that they played well and showed progress- ideally with their team shape- as they head into WCQ in the fall.

so for me, the cup has already been a success. 

getting out of group was a hope, following the first part. check.

now- especially not having to play Brazil... why not... one game at a time, but let's win this thing (even though I think the US is the weakest of the remaining teams, they're tactically as good as the remaining teams and capable of holding up against the superior offenses and sneaking some goals against any of those defenses)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I went into this thing just hoping that they played well and showed progress- ideally with their team shape- as they head into WCQ in the fall.

so for me, the cup has already been a success. 

getting out of group was a hope, following the first part. check.

now- especially not having to play Brazil... why not... one game at a time, but let's win this thing (even though I think the US is the weakest of the remaining teams, they're tactically as good as the remaining teams and capable of holding up against the superior offenses and sneaking some goals against any of those defenses)

I'm not so sure on the tactics going forward especially since we'll be missing the regulars (Yedlin tomorrow and whoever picks up a yellow in a potential SF match).  

I'm sure JK will just insert Orozco for Yedlin so the shape should be the same, but Orozco doesn't provide the same offensive outlet as Yedlin, so I wouldn't be shocked if became even more left sided.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't consider avoiding this Brazil team any kind of lucky break.  This Brazil team kind of sucked.  I get that they would have had significant support in NJ.  I think Ecuador is a 50/50 game.  It would be nice to win, but I just want to see the US play well.  If it's like the Belgium game in the World Cup, a narrow loss won't be a moral victory for me.  I'd rather they go for it and come up short. 

I mostly agree with Floppo.  At the very least, this tournament has answered a few questions.  We can now quit wondering what our default back four should be and who our number six should be (Bradley's stinker against Colombia aside).  We can probably put aside any talk about whether we need to replace Jones or Deuce right away.  Deuce is still our best finisher and Jones has shown that he has it for big games.  We know that Wood probably needs to play somewhere in the XI, even if he isn't a natural fit on the wing. 

So that gives us a far more limited set of questions.  There isn't a feeling that this is a team where JK is still tinkering to find the best combinations or style of play. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

9:30 game tomorrow is a bit of a nut punch.  Gonna have to lug my 2nd tv into the living room so I can watch the basketball game at the same time.  

 

Blame David Stern. Stupid Green suspension. Actually, it's probably somehow Roger Goodell's fault. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I don't consider avoiding this Brazil team any kind of lucky break.  This Brazil team kind of sucked.  I get that they would have had significant support in NJ.  I think Ecuador is a 50/50 game.  It would be nice to win, but I just want to see the US play well.  If it's like the Belgium game in the World Cup, a narrow loss won't be a moral victory for me.  I'd rather they go for it and come up short. 

I mostly agree with Floppo.  At the very least, this tournament has answered a few questions.  We can now quit wondering what our default back four should be and who our number six should be (Bradley's stinker against Colombia aside).  We can probably put aside any talk about whether we need to replace Jones or Deuce right away.  Deuce is still our best finisher and Jones has shown that he has it for big games.  We know that Wood probably needs to play somewhere in the XI, even if he isn't a natural fit on the wing. 

So that gives us a far more limited set of questions.  There isn't a feeling that this is a team where JK is still tinkering to find the best combinations or style of play. 

Nagbe and Pulisic need to push their way into the lineup soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

one game at a time, but let's win this thing (even though I think the US is the weakest of the remaining teams, they're tactically as good as the remaining teams and capable of holding up against the superior offenses and sneaking some goals against any of those defenses)

That's where I started.  The history of teams overachieving at home is so long and so pronounced... why not?

The teams remaining are all good enough that you can't expect to win, but outside Argentina none of them are so great you can't expect the US to put up a good fight either.  Having said, I don't see how they get past Argentina without a fluke or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see any way we beat Argentina unless everyone plays a level or two above their natural ability.  Argentina is probably the most talented team in the world right now and we're not even close to their level.

 

That said, I'd love to see us win this next one.  It'll be tough.  Ecuador is also probably better than us, but I don't think it's by much.  I know we can compete with them.  Would love to see a wide open attacking game even if we end up losing.  Enough of the park the bus BS against the better teams.  

 

I also think we have to consider this a successful result already.  We were in what was likely the toughest group and we not only advanced, but played very well against all three teams.  We have a back 4 set in place for the foreseeable future(back 5 with Bradley), Guzan has proven he'll be the guy for at least the next WC, and answered a few questions in the front.  Before the WC we need to see Nagbe and Pulisic break into regular minutes and we will have perhaps the strongest team we've ever fielded.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Gator said:

What else should Pulisic do to get into a 4-0 game ahead of Zusi?

 

 

Get some incriminating pictures of JK?  I don't know.  I was really disappointed by that.  I can see not bringing him on in a 1-0 game where we're sitting at 10 men, but that Costa Rica game was ripe for getting the kid some experience.

 

Hopefully he continues to get minutes in the first team at Dortmund and forces Jurgen's hand.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I don't see any way we beat Argentina unless everyone plays a level or two above their natural ability.  Argentina is probably the most talented team in the world right now and we're not even close to their level.

 

That said, I'd love to see us win this next one.  It'll be tough.  Ecuador is also probably better than us, but I don't think it's by much.  I know we can compete with them.  Would love to see a wide open attacking game even if we end up losing.  Enough of the park the bus BS against the better teams.  

 

I also think we have to consider this a successful result already.  We were in what was likely the toughest group and we not only advanced, but played very well against all three teams.  We have a back 4 set in place for the foreseeable future(back 5 with Bradley), Guzan has proven he'll be the guy for at least the next WC, and answered a few questions in the front.  Before the WC we need to see Nagbe and Pulisic break into regular minutes and we will have perhaps the strongest team we've ever fielded.  

 

I dont' think any of the players needs to be any better than they've already played to beat Argentina- but they'll need to keep things super-tight in the defensive third and do their best- through team shape more than individual effort IMO- to limit the Argie's MF.

 

ecuador's front 4 scare the crap out of me, especially without yedlin's wheels to help chase things down. if the US can contain them and beat the high pressure, they should be able to break the ECU defense down- that part doesn't scare me much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, El Floppo said:

 

I dont' think any of the players needs to be any better than they've already played to beat Argentina- but they'll need to keep things super-tight in the defensive third and do their best- through team shape more than individual effort IMO- to limit the Argie's MF.

 

ecuador's front 4 scare the crap out of me, especially without yedlin's wheels to help chase things down. if the US can contain them and beat the high pressure, they should be able to break the ECU defense down- that part doesn't scare me much.

How do we maintain team shape and mark Messi?  If we don't mark him he'll destroy us, but marking him will mess up team shape for sure.  Anyway... discussion that doesn't need to happen unless we win tomorrow.

 

Wood and Zardes will be key tomorrow.  If they can play like they did last game and keep that line pushed towards Ecuador's end it'll be key.  I too am worried about Ecuador's pace on the outside.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Bedoya(or even Zusi if Jurgen wants more defensive presence) play back to help Orozco out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, encaitar said:
47 minutes ago, The Gator said:

What else should Pulisic do to get into a 4-0 game ahead of Zusi?

 

 

Get some incriminating pictures of JK?  I don't know.  I was really disappointed by that.  I can see not bringing him on in a 1-0 game where we're sitting at 10 men, but that Costa Rica game was ripe for getting the kid some experience.

 

Hopefully he continues to get minutes in the first team at Dortmund and forces Jurgen's hand.

:goodposting:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ned said:

 

48 minutes ago, encaitar said:
52 minutes ago, The Gator said:

What else should Pulisic do to get into a 4-0 game ahead of Zusi?

 

 

Get some incriminating pictures of JK?  I don't know.  I was really disappointed by that.  I can see not bringing him on in a 1-0 game where we're sitting at 10 men, but that Costa Rica game was ripe for getting the kid some experience.

 

Hopefully he continues to get minutes in the first team at Dortmund and forces Jurgen's hand.

:goodposting:

 

I figured that it was one of those "not showing enough of what I'm asking for on D in practice and in your game-minutes" thing from JK about Nagbe and Pusilic. even worse subbing vs CR for me was him keeping Jones in when he looked gassed and wasn't needed. looked even more exhausted vs PAR and with yedlin's red didn't get any chance to rest.

 

Pusilic certainly has time- loving what I've seen so far, but haven't seen him live so no idea what he's really doing off the ball (ohai, tactical cam). regardless of time, he's shown enough going forward at least to be included and excite.

 

Nagbe needs to break in soon and definitely prior to Russia (*cough* if we qualify) where he'll be 28 and at his so-called physical/soccer prime. he can't rate as a project any longer- get him his minutes and let him sink or swim. hopefully more minutes at the game-pace and expectations of the international level will raise his game even higher.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, encaitar said:

How do we maintain team shape and mark Messi?  If we don't mark him he'll destroy us, but marking him will mess up team shape for sure.  Anyway... discussion that doesn't need to happen unless we win tomorrow.

 

Wood and Zardes will be key tomorrow.  If they can play like they did last game and keep that line pushed towards Ecuador's end it'll be key.  I too am worried about Ecuador's pace on the outside.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Bedoya(or even Zusi if Jurgen wants more defensive presence) play back to help Orozco out.

I think your second paragraph answers your first. I don't think you man-mark Messi... but I do think you have two guys who are in position to get him on pronto- I think Bedoya fits that role well, and Jones if the wheels haven't fallen off for him. Zardoz is a bit too naive (getting beat too many times by runs behind or past his shoulder) to play that role, but he'd be a good 3rd option to help run things down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I figured that it was one of those "not showing enough of what I'm asking for on D in practice and in your game-minutes" thing from JK about Nagbe and Pusilic. even worse subbing vs CR for me was him keeping Jones in when he looked gassed and wasn't needed. looked even more exhausted vs PAR and with yedlin's red didn't get any chance to rest.

 

Pusilic certainly has time- loving what I've seen so far, but haven't seen him live so no idea what he's really doing off the ball (ohai, tactical cam). regardless of time, he's shown enough going forward at least to be included and excite.

 

Nagbe needs to break in soon and definitely prior to Russia (*cough* if we qualify) where he'll be 28 and at his so-called physical/soccer prime. he can't rate as a project any longer- get him his minutes and let him sink or swim. hopefully more minutes at the game-pace and expectations of the international level will raise his game even higher.

I get that to a certain point, but do you hold that over a kid's head in a  4-0 win? 

"Messi looks like he's waking around most of the game, haul him off!"

Pulisic has great work rate imo and he'll get better with what Klinny asks of him off the ball if he, you know, plays...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I think your second paragraph answers your first. I don't think you man-mark Messi... but I do think you have two guys who are in position to get him on pronto- I think Bedoya fits that role well, and Jones if the wheels haven't fallen off for him. Zardoz is a bit too naive (getting beat too many times by runs behind or past his shoulder) to play that role, but he'd be a good 3rd option to help run things down.

Thinking of Zardes marking Messi even for just a few seconds.... :X

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zardes defensive effort is the reason why he still starts.  He's not supposed to mark, however.  He's supposed to track back and help.  Which he does well.  In any case, Messi generally plays on the right for Argentina, so Zardes is unlikely to have that responsibility in the event that the US beats Ecuador. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...