Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

27 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I figured that it was one of those "not showing enough of what I'm asking for on D in practice and in your game-minutes" thing from JK about Nagbe and Pusilic. even worse subbing vs CR for me was him keeping Jones in when he looked gassed and wasn't needed. looked even more exhausted vs PAR and with yedlin's red didn't get any chance to rest.

I'd rather argue the inverse/converse that the two guys they'd likely replace (Zardes and Jones) have done just enough to keep their places defensively (for the time being).  At some point in the next 2 years (maybe even when this Copa is over) that won't be the case and Nagbe and Pusilic will take over, but unlike 6 months ago, we at least know now that those options are there and are at least pretty good.

I'd also just echo that Yedlin's, Wood's and Brooks' improved play the past 6 months has really solidified the team.  Those positions have gone from huge questions to spots where our players are holding their own in Euro leagues.  For our team, that's a huge jump in both quality and consistency.  

The US team has improved a ton in the past six months and while they still may get obliterated by one of the SA teams, it's nice to know the quality is there for the future.  

Edited by Sammy3469
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Zardes defensive effort is the reason why he still starts.  He's not supposed to mark, however.  He's supposed to track back and help.  Which he does well.  In any case, Messi generally plays on the right for Argentina, so Zardes is unlikely to have that responsibility in the event that the US beats Ecuador. 

totally agree with all of that.

14 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

I'd rather argue the inverse/converse that the two guys they'd likely replace (Zardes and Jones) have done just enough to keep their places defensively (for the time being).  At some point in the next 2 years (maybe even when this Copa is over) that won't be the case and Nagbe and Pusilic will take over, but unlike 6 months ago, we at least know now that those options are there and are at least pretty good.

I'd also just echo that Yedlin's, Wood's and Brooks' improved play the past 6 months has really solidified the team.  Those positions have gone from huge questions to spots where our players are holding their own in Euro leagues.  For our team, that's a huge jump in both quality and consistency.  

The US team has improved a ton in the past six months and while they still may get obliterated by one of the SA teams, it's nice to know the quality is there for the future.  

Lots of good here

Brooks is the biggest bump in play imo. He's playing really well

Wood is on the cusp of being Nagbe or a bonafide starter next cycle. The "26yo prospect" or our number 9.  He really needs to take the next step soon. 

Yedlin, great athlete and the youngest out of the three but not sure how often 22 year olds develop "soccer smarts" going forward. He does so many basic things wrong that his speed covers up I'm not sure he'll be more than a pacey back who has make up speed.

27 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Zardes defensive effort is the reason why he still starts.  He's not supposed to mark, however.  He's supposed to track back and help.  Which he does well.  In any case, Messi generally plays on the right for Argentina, so Zardes is unlikely to have that responsibility in the event that the US beats Ecuador. 

Speaks volumes about Yedlin, too, that we need an attacking mid who's reason for starting is his tracking back.

Just now, The Gator said:

Speaks volumes about Yedlin, too, that we need an attacking mid who's reason for starting is his tracking back.

JK has always demanded that in his flank players.  That's a component of the system.  It's a fair criticism of JK that he perhaps demands too much of that.  Particularly because he demands it on both flanks.  Wynalda, for instance, thinks that Gyasi is "too honest" meaning he gives too much defensive effort and doesn't stay high often enough. 

34 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Lots of good here

Brooks is the biggest bump in play imo. He's playing really well

Wood is on the cusp of being Nagbe or a bonafide starter next cycle. The "26yo prospect" or our number 9.  He really needs to take the next step soon. 

Yedlin, great athlete and the youngest out of the three but not sure how often 22 year olds develop "soccer smarts" going forward. He does so many basic things wrong that his speed covers up I'm not sure he'll be more than a pacey back who has make up speed.

Is that really fair of Yedlin, though?  He's definitely cleaned his game up defensively compared to last year.  Who's to say he can't keep that going?

Just now, Ned said:

Is that really fair of Yedlin, though?  He's definitely cleaned his game up defensively compared to last year.  Who's to say he can't keep that going?

Might not be fair, I'm not always correct, but that's what I see.

Can he still improve? Sure, I hope so. 

It just feels like he, as a national team player, should already do some of the things he needs to improve on.

3 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I don't consider avoiding this Brazil team any kind of lucky break.  This Brazil team kind of sucked.  I get that they would have had significant support in NJ.  I think Ecuador is a 50/50 game.  It would be nice to win, but I just want to see the US play well.  If it's like the Belgium game in the World Cup, a narrow loss won't be a moral victory for me.  I'd rather they go for it and come up short. 

I mostly agree with Floppo.  At the very least, this tournament has answered a few questions.  We can now quit wondering what our default back four should be and who our number six should be (Bradley's stinker against Colombia aside).  We can probably put aside any talk about whether we need to replace Jones or Deuce right away.  Deuce is still our best finisher and Jones has shown that he has it for big games.  We know that Wood probably needs to play somewhere in the XI, even if he isn't a natural fit on the wing. 

So that gives us a far more limited set of questions.  There isn't a feeling that this is a team where JK is still tinkering to find the best combinations or style of play. 

These are precisely the reasons this tournament has been a disappointment to me.  We need to get younger and we need to do it soon.  Experimenting in these games is much less dangerous than finding new players in the next set of qualifiers or the hex.  

24 minutes ago, Ned said:

I see no reason he can't continue to improve defensively.  

I am more concerned whether it is realistic to expect him to improve much offensively.   His touch and simple ball striking for crosses are a hard thing to improve at even his relatively young age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gator said:

He's still making dumb mistakes. 

but the growth he's shown- especially since getting all those games in the second half of the EPL season- is pretty fantastic. yeah, part of the growth is because of just how bad he was at so many things early on, but the trajectory growth/curve is pretty great for the last year and implies better things to come IMO. I really enjoyed watching him play with a head on a swivel by the end of the season with Sunderland- watching his line as well as following the opposition's runs- real, pro stuff- and stuff he wasn't doing previously.

eta: he seems to be really learning on the job, but his speed and athleticism can't be learned. he's given me high hopes for his potential.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

42k tickets sold as of yesterday afternoon for tomorrow nights game.

I'm going to say this one's going to be 50/50. 5% Ecuadorians or their direct fans, and 45% #### the USMNT people.

6 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

I fell asleep well before halftime last night, but how did the pitch hold up in Seattle?  It's grass on top of turf, right?

it looked terrible, IMO- if I"m thinking of the right game.

:oldunsure:

which game was in seattle last night?

15 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I haven't watched as many games this week as I wanted to.  The one surface that stood out for being horrible was in Houston for Mexico/Venezuela.

Houston was horrendous.

12 minutes ago, Ned said:

29 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I haven't watched as many games this week as I wanted to.  The one surface that stood out for being horrible was in Houston for Mexico/Venezuela.

Houston was horrendous.

who played there? that could be the one I"m thinking of- lots of slipping? eta: and ball bouncing like it was on concrete

Edited by El Floppo

2 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The pitch in Philly seemed ok to me, although you could easily see the seams in the sod.  Houston was turrible and the Rose Bowl looked good.

If we host another major tournament, we as a country must do better than the current state.

We've got a few years before FIFA succumbs on 2022.

Edited by dparker713
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The pitch in Philly seemed ok to me, although you could easily see the seams in the sod.  Houston was turrible and the Rose Bowl looked good.

If we host another major tournament, we as a country must do better than the current state.

The Linc had just hosted the college lacrosse final four Memorial Day weekend, so the areas around the lacrosse goals were a little chewed up.

i could see or would hope to see a requirement to hosting World Cup matches being a moratorium on field usage for a set period of time before the tournament.

10 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

hmm, the Linc in Philly is a grass stadium already.  I guess the seams you saw must have been related to the lacrosse Ted mentioned above.

The Rose Bowl has always been grass so that is never an issue.

It still seems that laying grass over field turf rarely produces a quality surface.

We are at a bit of a quandary right now concerning stadiums for soccer in America

1) Our gorgeous grass soccer stadiums in MLS are too small for the really big events

2) There are very few decent 40kish sized stadiums in the bigger cities that have grass

3) So many of the big college and pro football stadiums are using field turf.

I don't see any way around these issues except to hope the the grass overlay technology improves significantly if we want to host in 2026 and have full use of any stadium across the country.

ESPN takes  shot at a top 11 from the group stage of the Copa

============================================================================================

The Copa America group stage is in the books, with many standout performances of note. However, there were 11 players in particular who were excellent in their teams' first three matches. With that, we give you the Copa America group stage best XI.

GK Dani Hernandez, Venezuela -- Hernandez was 10 minutes away from pulling off the remarkable feat of recording clean sheets in all three games, only for a golazo from Mexico's Jesus Corona to spoil things. Nevertheless, Hernandez was superb in the group stage in leading the Vinotinto to the quarterfinals. His double-save in the second half against Mexico on Monday night was the highlight.

DF Miguel Trauco, Peru -- Peru surprised everyone by taking top honors in Group B and left back Trauco was a big part of that. He helped stem many a Brazilian foray forward in Sunday's critical win over the five-time World Cup champions and was a thorn in the side of opponents when pushing forward. A very composed Copa thus far for Trauco.

DF John Brooks, United States -- It wasn't even a year ago when somehow Jamaica's 5-foot- 10-inch Darren Mattocks outjumped the 6-foot, 4-inch Brooks to head home a goal in a Gold Cup semifinal win over the U.S. The criticism of Brooks was fierce, but this summer the Hertha Berlin man has responded with aplomb and is one of the main reasons why the U.S. is in the quarterfinals. Arguably, his performance for the 10-man U.S. against Paraguay was the best for a U.S. center back since Oguchi Onyewu versus Spain in the 2009 Confederations Cup semifinals.

DF Arturo Mina, Ecuador -- Mina has proven to be an anchor in midfield for the Ecuadorians, who went unbeaten in the group stage and next face the U.S. Mina, who has also helped club side Independiente del Valle reach the Copa Libertadores semifinals, has the complete confidence of Ecuador head coach Gustavo Quinteros. The U.S. will have to be at its best to get past Mina in Seattle on Thursday.

DF Gabriel Mercado, Argentina -- Even though he only played in Argentina's first two matches, Mercado helped bring tranquility to a position that has routinely troubled La Albiceleste. The River Plate man has been a lucky charm for Gerardo Martino, as Argentina have won every official match in which Mercado has featured during the Martino era. His presence on the right side of the Argentine back line does not get much attention, but he has been quite good both in defending and pushing forward.

MF Hector Herrera, Mexico -- Like CONCACAF rival Brooks, Herrera suffered through a dismal 2015 Gold Cup, but a renaissance during the 2015-16 club season at Porto has carried into the Copa America. Herrera has been vital for Mexico in midfield, helping link the defense with the attack and providing leadership when Andres Guardado was red-carded in the first match against Uruguay.

MF Arturo Vidal, Chile -- A win in their second match against Bolivia was imperative for the reigning Copa America champions, so leave it to King Arturo to come through in the clutch. The Bayern man scored both Chile goals, including a nervy last-second penalty to lead his team to victory. Also helped set the table for the Chilean attack in Tuesday's triumph over Panama.

MF James Rodriguez, Colombia -- It looked as if a shoulder injury sustained against the U.S. was going to prevent James from making an impact in Group A, but instead he went out in the following match against Paraguay and scored the winning goal for Los Cafeteros, who clinched a spot in the quarterfinals with the win. Initially rested for the finale against Costa Rica, James was summoned off the bench and nearly brought Colombia back from a 3-1 deficit against the Ticos.

FW Clint Dempsey, United States -- With the U.S. reeling following their opening 2-0 defeat to Colombia, they needed a leader like Dempsey to step forward, and he did just that in the 4-0 win versus Costa Rica. The Texan converted the game's first goal via penalty and then provided two assists in the rout. Dempsey then followed that up with a well-taken strike against Paraguay to send the Yanks to the quarterfinals.

FW Eduardo Vargas, Chile -- Like Vidal before him, Vargas came up big for his country in a decisive match, scoring Chile's first two goals against Panama after the South Americans had fallen behind early. While he remains an enigma at club level with inconsistent form, Vargas always shows up when wearing La Roja and the Copa has been no different.

FW Jesus Corona, Mexico -- Chicharito Hernandez might still draw the biggest cheers from Mexico fans, but it is Corona who is providing the fireworks. His sensational goal against Venezuela ensured El Tri won Group C, and his importance for Mexico grows with every game. Brimming with confidence and swagger when charging down the left flank, Corona is an absolute nightmare to defend. He's fast becoming a player who is capable of the spectacular any time he touches the ball.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dparker713 said:

Don't see how you leave Messi off the XI.  I know he hasn't played much, but he's as dominant as ever.

It's based on performance in just these games, right?  Not who's best or who you would actually fill out a roster with if you had your pick.

Tonight, I'm at my son's soccer school session and talking with another one of the dads there.  He's a guy that used to play soccer, helps as an assistant coach on the team occasionally, overall nice guy but not someone that watches soccer on TV very much or follows along at all.  He was aware of the Euros going on and has watched a couple games but was unaware of the Copa.......that kind of guy.

Anyway, as we were talking about the Copa and the fact that there's the game tomorrow shortly after our practice, I asked him if he had heard anything about Pulisic.  He said he hadn't.  So I casually explained how he's only 17 years old, is oozing talent, and has already cracked the 1st team at Dortmund.  He goes "The #2 team in Germany?"  I nodded yes.  So he asks how he's looked so far for the US in the group stage.  I told him he hasn't really played.

His reply:  "1st team for Dortmund but not good enough to start for the US?  How can that be?"

I had no answer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Tonight, I'm at my son's soccer school session and talking with another one of the dads there.  He's a guy that used to play soccer, helps as an assistant coach on the team occasionally, overall nice guy but not someone that watches soccer on TV very much or follows along at all.  He was aware of the Euros going on and has watched a couple games but was unaware of the Copa.......that kind of guy.

Anyway, as we were talking about the Copa and the fact that there's the game tomorrow shortly after our practice, I asked him if he had heard anything about Pulisic.  He said he hadn't.  So I casually explained how he's only 17 years old, is oozing talent, and has already cracked the 1st team at Dortmund.  He goes "The #2 team in Germany?"  I nodded yes.  So he asks how he's looked so far for the US in the group stage.  I told him he hasn't really played.

His reply:  "1st team for Dortmund but not good enough to start for the US?  How can that be?"

I had no answer.

exactly, although Jurgen's out could be that he doesn't know the system or doesn't have chemistry yet, bla, bla, bla. 

JK needed to show well after the Gold Cup debacle and likely has been overly cautious by sticking with players he trusted, right or wrong.  He can further integrate Pulisic and Nagbe in upcoming friendlies...if he doesn't, I'll personally hunt him down.

Edited by TripItUp

I had no answer.

This guy's knowledge is all over the place :lmao: 

Not in a bad way, just that how does a soccer guy not know the Copa is going on this far into it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

It's based on performance in just these games, right?  Not who's best or who you would actually fill out a roster with if you had your pick.

He had a hat trick 29 minutes against Panama and nearly scored again in a meaningless half against Bolivia.

15 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I had no answer.

Well, he's not a starter at Dortmund and the US does generally play a style where fitness is centrally important, but yeah, he should generally be the first option off the bench atleast.

Edited by dparker713

22 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Not in a bad way, just that how does a soccer guy not know the Copa is going on this far into it?

:lmao:

I know.

And I thought he finished the year starting for Dortmund or am I not remembering correctly?  Either way, if you're good enough to start, especially come season end, for the 2nd best team in one of the top leagues in the world, then he's arguably already the USMNT best player even with incredibly little experience. 

26 minutes ago, The Gator said:

How does a guy who doesn't know the Copa is happening here have an opinion on who should be starting for the US? The kid is 17. I don't think many supporters have much of an issue with him not starting this tournament. 

27 minutes ago, dparker713 said:

He had a hat trick 29 minutes against Panama and nearly scored again in a meaningless half against Bolivia.

No kidding.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/copa-america/top-scorers

He's only tied for the lead in goals scored in the tournament with one other player so far.  And he's only played 74 minutes.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

:lmao:

I know.

And I thought he finished the year starting for Dortmund or am I not remembering correctly?  Either way, if you're good enough to start, especially come season end, for the 2nd best team in one of the top leagues in the world, then he's arguably already the USMNT best player even with incredibly little experience. 

His play for Dortmund was all over the place.  He started 4 games, subbed in 8 others and in between also played for the U19's.   He was in a fantastic situation where his team was stuck too far from 1st and no threat of coming in 3rd and had a few injuries that allowed him to get plenty of chances.

Pulisic started a bit around March when Reus was hurt.  He was back to the bench for the end of the season.

Different teams and different systems have different requirements.  And you don't have 50 games in a season to get Pulisic playing time.  He came off the bench with the US was chasing the game against Colombia.  He probably will again the next time the US is down after 70 minutes.  But is it really a surprise that JK wants to play guys he's more familiar with in tight spots?  Tuchel wasn't going to throw Pulisic out there in a Champions League quarterfinal either.

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

How does a guy who doesn't know the Copa is happening here have an opinion on who should be starting for the US? The kid is 17. I don't think many supporters have much of an issue with him not starting this tournament. 

I definitely have an issue with him not starting.  Even at 17, he is more skilled than anyone else we have at this point.  Dortmund is one of the top clubs in the world.  It makes no sense for a player to be good enough to start for that club and not good enough to crack the starting XI for the USMNT.

And that was the point of my story.  People that follow and support the team may try to come up with reasons, but when you just take it on face value, it makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I definitely have an issue with him not starting.  Even at 17, he is more skilled than anyone else we have at this point.  Dortmund is one of the top clubs in the world.  It makes no sense for a player to be good enough to start for that club and not good enough to crack the starting XI for the USMNT.

And that was the point of my story.  People that follow and support the team may try to come up with reasons, but when you just take it on face value, it makes no sense.

Except, he's small and this is an Americas tournament.  Its rough out there at times and he may not be ready for a full 90 of that type of game.

Edited by dparker713

Nagbe and Pulisic are two completely different cases because of their age.  I put aside Pulisic because even if he does not break in this cycle, he is only going to be 19 at the start of the next cycle.

My worries for Nagbe go beyond what he does defensively or does at practice.

I have read and listened to a lot of comments made about and by Nagbe himself.  If I was to compare his personality to other US players, it would be on the more demure side like Benny or Landon.

JK has made it quite clear that he prefers his players to live and die soccer (Jones, Beckerman, Wondo etc).  I am not at all certain Nagbe is going to tickle JK's fancy with his VERY laid back attitude (which sometimes comes across in his play at Portland where he is more than happy to take a back seat to others).

I don't know how this is going to play out.

1 minute ago, dparker713 said:

Except, he's small and this is an Americas tournament.  Its rough out there at times and he may not be ready for a full 90 of that type of game.

It's rough out there?  Bundesliga is soft?  And I'm not saying he has to play a full 90.  You're right, he may not be ready for that.  But put him in and take him out as needed if he can't hack it, is getting destroyed, or simply doesn't seem to be good enough.

Look, most of you really know your stuff when it comes to this.  But this simply feels like classic overthinking it.  I understand he doesn't necessarily fit the system.  I understand he's young, inexperienced, and isn't used to the type or style of play of these teams.  I understand that he's only 17.  But the kid is so much better talent wise already than guys that are playing over him. 

Do you honestly think playing in this tournament would hurt his development?  That he would hurt the team by being out there?  Really?  I look at him as the kind of player that could actually give us a chance against some of these top level teams remaining. 

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Do you honestly think playing in this tournament would hurt his development?  That he would hurt the team by being out there?  Really?  I look at him as the kind of player that could actually give us a chance against some of these top level teams remaining. 

Here is an interesting question:

If JK was feeling fully secure in his position, do you think he would have been more likely to experiment and play Pulisic instead of sticking with a player he knows like Zusi?

It's rough out there?  Bundesliga is soft? 

I don't think it is a matter of soft or hard.  It is simply different.  

Every German based player we have had has struggled with the latin teams when they first came to the US.  Jones, Williams, Chandler, Brooks etc all had very very rough games against a style of play that is significantly different from the Bundesliga until they adjusted.

Personally I don't think Pulisic would have had any where near that type of adjustment because he grew up in America and has played against latin teams in many youth tournaments.  

I can't say whether any of this went into JK's thinking, but it was something that crossed my mind.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here is an interesting question:

If JK was feeling fully secure in his position, do you think he would have been more likely to experiment and play Pulisic instead of sticking with a player he knows like Zusi?

Right.  I think that's playing a major factor in this.  And it's just silly overthinking it and not going with the unknown.

Btw, here's Pulisic against those "rough" Ecuadorians

Not only did he absorb the physical play, he embarrassed two of their players in that sequence in a manner that virtually no other current USMNT player could. 

Another example of what he brings against that same Ecuador team  Zardes would have first touched that pass to him into a goal kick for Ecuador.

You can watch the whole video and see he clearly belongs on that field and can fit in. 

• Like 2

The United States men's national team is good enough to beat any team in the world. They are not good enough to beat Brazil, Mexico and Argentina consecutively. Based on their recent performances against poor sides like Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala, there's not much of a reason to pick them to beat any three teams in this tournament consecutively. They're not going to win Copa America.

Jurgen Klinsmann is also not getting fired after this tournament, barring complete and utter embarrassment caused by players quitting on him. The same federation that's willing to take a massive public relations L over a couple million dollars in the USWNT equal pay fight is not going to pay Klinsmann a seven-figure buyout to go away just because the USMNT struggled in this tournament.

So, with all that in mind, why not plan for the future? Why should the likes of Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones and Kyle Beckerman all be first choice in a tournament that the USMNT won't win, and that their coach doesn't need to do well in to keep his job? Why shouldn't they prioritize planning for the future and putting on a show for the fans?

And why is it always not time to take a risk and start young players? The USMNT should have gotten significantly younger after the World Cup, but Klinsmann said qualifying for the Confederations Cup was important. When he failed to do that, Copa America became important. And after that, the Hex will be important, because we can't afford to miss the World Cup. And then suddenly June of 2018 rolls around and most of the USMNT's prospective starters have been first choice for a year or less.

The potential benefits of starting Dempsey and Jones are smaller than the potential benefits of playing Pulisic and Nagbe. The risk is minimal. It's time to take the plunge.

Agree 100% here with Kevin McCauley.

• Like 2

I am getting my first extended look at Revolution home grown player Zachery Herivaux and he has been clearly the best player on the pitch tonight (Kamara, Ngyuen, Fagundez, Agudelo etc are all playing for the Revs).

It is uncanny how much he plays like Sharlie Joseph which is no coincidence as Sharlie has taken Zach on as his protege and Zach even wears Sharlie number.

The big problem is that he might go with Haiti as he has been overlooked by US youth teams.

He was born in Japan to Haitian parents but grew up here in the Boston area where he was discovered and then joined the Revs academy.

Even though he has not yet broken into the full team here in NE, Haiti put him on their preliminary roster for the Copa but he did not make the full squad so he is not yet capped tied but it appears it would be a foregone conclusion that he is going to go with Haiti.