Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

3 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

The pitch in Philly seemed ok to me, although you could easily see the seams in the sod.  Houston was turrible and the Rose Bowl looked good.

If we host another major tournament, we as a country must do better than the current state.

If the Dolphin Stadium in Miami weren't under renovation, it would've been a great venue. Natural grass and rabid Latin countrymen, both locals and tourists. The stadium was most recently known as Sun Life, but Dolphin owner Stephen Ross will re-brand it after adding a cover for the fans (not the field) , along with better seating and video experiences. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here is an interesting question:

If JK was feeling fully secure in his position, do you think he would have been more likely to experiment and play Pulisic instead of sticking with a player he knows like Zusi?

I'm not sure JK would ever have that mentality, even if his position were more secure.  

11 hours ago, El Floppo said:

yedlin's wheels

And that's why we 'round these parts just call him Wheels. There's even a song. The wheels on the Yedlin go round and round! Round and round! Round and round! The wheels on the Yedlin go Round and round! All through the pitch! 

Ok, song needs work, but the nickname is good Wheels. Nice ring. Say it out loud. Scream it at him when he's chasing a ball. When he's running past a defender with the ball. Wheels!

####. He's suspended... #### you, Wheels.

• Like 1

I wanted to see more Sister Christian too (he's the only one, after all). We all did. But, I'm totally on board with him not being a sub when we were routing Costa Rica. He's an offensive sub. Goal differential is important in these things. 2nd to points. We weren't chasing goals. He wasn't the right sub. 

Nagbe's lack of minutes worries me. Especially reading what NR said.  

Edited by Sebowski

4 hours ago, Sebowski said:

And that's why we 'round these parts just call him Wheels. There's even a song. The wheels on the Yedlin go round and round! Round and round! Round and round! The wheels on the Yedlin go Round and round! All through the pitch! 

Ok, song needs work, but the nickname is good Wheels. Nice ring. Say it out loud. Scream it at him when he's chasing a ball. When he's running past a defender with the ball. Wheels!

####. He's suspended... #### you, Wheels.

Almost as good as ELO....

Gianmarco really hung up on Pusilic starting a handful of meaningless games in Germany with the players ahead of him injured. 

I think hes really good and shows that he belongs out there, but we have no idea what his responsibities were in Germany and how those and their related skill set relate/translate to what JK needs here in the Copa.

I'm going to err on the side of JK seeing a lot more of what hes capable of doing to support JKs tactical needs in practice and games than me.

Looking forward to seeing him play, but I have no way of honestly criticising his omission based on what I've seen so far. 

7 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Agree 100% here with Kevin McCauley.

That's written by somebody with no actual skin in the game. What coach or player is going to say welp we have no chance to win this even though we are in the quarters, let's get ready for 2018. 

Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Right.  I think that's playing a major factor in this.  And it's just silly overthinking it and not going with the unknown.

Btw, here's Pulisic against those "rough" Ecuadorians

Not only did he absorb the physical play, he embarrassed two of their players in that sequence in a manner that virtually no other current USMNT player could. 

Another example of what he brings against that same Ecuador team  Zardes would have first touched that pass to him into a goal kick for Ecuador.

You can watch the whole video and see he clearly belongs on that field and can fit in. 

I was coming along to post exactly this.  I was telling my wife how I was concerned he was too small during the Ecuador literally seconds before he pulled off that 'ITS MY BALL!!!!!' stuff.  

I'm OK with him not starting this tournament, but disappointed he hasn't gotten any real minutes other than the desperation sub vs. COL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Right.  I think that's playing a major factor in this.  And it's just silly overthinking it and not going with the unknown.

Btw, here's Pulisic against those "rough" Ecuadorians

Not only did he absorb the physical play, he embarrassed two of their players in that sequence in a manner that virtually no other current USMNT player could. 

Another example of what he brings against that same Ecuador team  Zardes would have first touched that pass to him into a goal kick for Ecuador.

You can watch the whole video and see he clearly belongs on that field and can fit in. 

That was a friendly.

54 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Gianmarco really hung up on Pusilic starting a handful of meaningless games in Germany with the players ahead of him injured. 

I think hes really good and shows that he belongs out there, but we have no idea what his responsibities were in Germany and how those and their related skill set relate/translate to what JK needs here in the Copa.

I'm going to err on the side of JK seeing a lot more of what hes capable of doing to support JKs tactical needs in practice and games than me.

Looking forward to seeing him play, but I have no way of honestly criticising his omission based on what I've seen so far. 

I'm not hung up on him starting meaningless games in Germany.  I'm more hung up that he's on the team to begin with, got called up in January at age 17 for said club, actually scored two goals while playing for said club, and just watching his play overall for said club as well as his brief time with the USMNT (i.e. against Ecuador, the team we happen to be facing). 

I tend to err on the side of JK being a pretty awful tactician, playing players out of their natural position, and overall not giving him the benefit of the doubt here based on his history. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Capella said:

That's written by somebody with no actual skin in the game. What coach or player is going to say welp we have no chance to win this even though we are in the quarters, let's get ready for 2018. 

Ridiculous. 

That article was written before the tournament started (:bye: Brazil).  And he's absolutely right.

Edited by gianmarco

37 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'm not hung up on him starting meaningless games in Germany.  I'm more hung up that he's on the team to begin with, got called up in January at age 17 for said club, actually scored two goals while playing for said club, and just watching his play overall for said club as well as his brief time with the USMNT (i.e. against Ecuador, the team we happen to be facing). 

I tend to err on the side of JK being a pretty awful tactician, playing players out of their natural position, and overall not giving him the benefit of the doubt here based on his history. 

Stupid question, but out of the 3 games who has been playing out of position?  I guess you can argue Wood and Dempsey when he started with the 4-3-3, and Zardes in the 4-4-2 the past 2.5 games, but Zardes (who Pulisic would be replacing) has been one of the better players in that setup.  

I just don't get this line of argument based on how midfield/forwards have played the past 3 games.    

3 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

46 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Stupid question, but out of the 3 games who has been playing out of position?  I guess you can argue Wood and Dempsey when he started with the 4-3-3, and Zardes in the 4-4-2 the past 2.5 games, but Zardes (who Pulisic would be replacing) has been one of the better players in that setup.  

I just don't get this line of argument based on how midfield/forwards have played the past 3 games.    

he's obviously talking about historically.

we all like this kid- he's shown a lot of talent already, especially going forward. again, my point is that we have no idea what he's doing off the ball outside of what the TV screen captures (and what little I've seen, I've liked his awareness of the play on both sides of the ball tbh)... as such, I at least, have no way of assessing whether he "should" be starting or not. I do know that the guys who are in there this cup ahead of him have been doing a really good job, so no big complaints from me about game management so far... other than the subs against CR, none of which I liked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Capella said:

So in your world it's correct to punt on the tournament to get ready for other tournaments? :lmao: ok 

Are you being obtuse? Who wants to punt the tournament? I want Pulisic in because I think he's far better than guys in his place and gives us a better chance to win.  Same with Nagbe, but to a lesser degree.  I believe putting Pulisic is better both short and long term.

Without him, I just don't think we have enough to string together enough wins against these top teams left. With him and his attacking creativity, I think we might.

We regularly laugh at Zardes and his touch.  We just shrug off the wide open chance he blew.  While funny, that's the quality we're used to. CP is miles ahead in terms of talent.  Wanting that in there is the exact opposite of punting.  That decision is more playing to win than playing not to lose which is what it feels like now.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2

Its fun to argue about starting lineups and tactics, even though most of us don't know jack about the topic. That's what sports fans do on the internet and in the office cubicles, we argue about theoretical sports concepts we know nothing about. With Klinsman, one thing we know is that he will reference a player's club form when it suits him, and ignore it when it doesn't, so in this context our opinions are no more or less than a fart in the wind. It truly doesn't matter one bit what this kid is doing at Dortmund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

The 4-4-2 has been the best lineup in getting players closest to their club positions.

Zardes and Fab are really the only 2 that don't play their positions at club level.  And with Fab we don't have much choice.

If we take nothing else out of the Copa, the hope that JK might be willing to stop moving players around should give enough hope that qualifying should continue as it always had.

• Like 1

how do you guys know who the hell half the players are?

admittedly, i'm a casual fan but where do you go to track 17 year olds enough to have an opinion on their playing time for the USMNT?  

at least with the NFL and NBA there's college football & basketball to track and learn players names & games. where does one hear news about/watch 15, 16, 17 year olds that are future candidates for the national team??

3 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

admittedly, i'm a casual fan but where do you go to track 17 year olds enough to have an opinion on their playing time for the USMNT?  

Watch Dortmund play?  

Watch the u17 World Cup?

Watch friendlies?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

at least with the NFL and NBA there's college football & basketball to track and learn players names & games. where does one hear news about/watch 15, 16, 17 year olds that are future candidates for the national team??

El mundo.

There are a lot of online resources.  The Yanks Abroad forum on Big Soccer, USAProspects on Twitter.  If you follow soccer journalists on Twitter, you'll hear about anyone who could be close to getting capped.  The youth national teams sometimes play in televised tournaments as well.  I think I first saw Pulisic in the Nike friendlies.  It's no different than any other sport.  Some guys know Rivals ***** prospects.  I know guys on Schalke's U20 team. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

You knew who LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were when they were coming into the league, right?

6 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Personally, I read posts from @El Floppo and @NewlyRetired, and watch clips of players when bored at work.  I also ignore everything @The Gator says.  

That and I do watch a lot of soccer.  EPL mainly but also some Bundesliga (where Christian plays for Dortmund).  

• Like 1

Just now, FreeBaGeL said:

You knew who LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were when they were coming into the league, right?

only because LeBron was all over every sports media outlet on a daily basis and the NBA is everywhere

US soccer coverage isn't quite so extensive

6 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Its fun to argue about starting lineups and tactics, even though most of us don't know jack about the topic. That's what sports fans do on the internet and in the office cubicles, we argue about theoretical sports concepts we know nothing about. With Klinsman, one thing we know is that he will reference a player's club form when it suits him, and ignore it when it doesn't, so in this context our opinions are no more or less than a fart in the wind. It truly doesn't matter one bit what this kid is doing at Dortmund.

Except its in the Bundesliga and Klinsmann certainly cares about that.

28 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

I felt the same way last year.  There's sooooooooooo much soccer it's really overwhelming at first.  But once you start to watch it more and more, you'll start to appreciate the guys that pop off the screen when they play.  Then you start to pay attention to them more, do a little ireading, etc and before you know it you've got U9 kids tracked down.

• Like 1

Furley, just watch the US team play and you'll get a pretty good sense of who's who and where they play their club soccer.  They're pretty spread out right now though ... a lot are in MLS (USA), some are in Liga Mex, some are in the EPL (England) and several key players are in the Bundesliga (Germany).  But if you try to watch all of them to start you'll drown in soccer.  Best to just pick a league you think sounds interesting and start there.  Or just pick several of the world's best teams (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juventus, Bayern Munich) and watch them.  You'll get a steady stream of great soccer that way and get more familiar with players on other teams as you do.

5 minutes ago, wdcrob said:

Furley, just watch the US team play and you'll get a pretty good sense of who's who and where they play their club soccer.  They're pretty spread out right now though ... a lot are in MLS (USA), some are in Liga Mex, some are in the EPL (England) and several key players are in the Bundesliga (Germany).  But if you try to watch all of them to start you'll drown in soccer.  Best to just pick a league you think sounds interesting and start there.  Or just pick several of the world's best teams (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juventus, Bayern Munich) and watch them.  You'll get a steady stream of great soccer that way and get more familiar with players on other teams as you do.

fixed