What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

lineup should be coming out soon, only expected change is Orozco for Yellow Card-Yedlin (TM)

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, one would surmise that this is a huge advantage for the US in qualifying.  Playing quality competition like this should only make us better, particularly since the competition is much more similar to CONCACAF opposition. 

OBTW, F Mexico

hey furls... I'll check in on ESPN every now and then because I lack imagination, but for the most part I get all my soccer news right here. 

you can watch just about any league in the world on TV here in the US, and every US game is televised front and center. I can't help you with the announcers, but I agree with you about the US playbyplay guys and typically mute or turn down the volume so I don't have to listen to them. I get tired of them miscalling the action on the field- and sadly it still happens a lot, even with the more knowledgeable ones. that said, there a lot of US color guys who really know their #### who I do enjoy hearing from, providing the professional player's viewpoint of what's just gone down or about to happen in ways that. but the brits do have a better way with words and sense of the rhythm of the game.

as was mentioned, 17yo pusilic isn't exactly an unknown quantity if you follow US soccer in the last year or so- a US kid rising to the first team of a German powerhouse as a teenager? and getting playing time (and a couple of goals to boot)? he's right there if you've been following the US. but there are definitely guys who these other peeps in here are aware of that are rising players that  maybe aren't in front of the soccer pages, but worth checking out... pretty much similar to college athletes. you don't have to go anywhere to get the it=info on these guys other than here, IMO.

I would recommend latching onto an EPL or German team (depending on what networks you have for coverage)... because La Liga is the worst (and I don't get BeIN). Once you randomly pick a team to follow, you'll start to get a better sense of the game locally and even the globally as they fight their way through a 40game season (not including cups)- which you'll be able to pull back to your fandom of the USMNT. it's kinda hard to route only for the USMNT- they just don't play enough games to get any traction with them outside of these kind of tournaments which are infrequent and tbh nervewracking. what's worked for me over the years is to realize that being a fan of the USMNT is a process... and I latch onto some kind of hope that before I die they'll begin to flex some giant hulk-smash muscles.

:thumbup:  my plan is to lurk here and learn some more. try to find games on tv that look interesting. 

:thumbup:  my plan is to lurk here and learn some more. try to find games on tv that look interesting. 
Go to www.socceramerica.com and sign up for their free email service.  Every morning you will get sent a full tv schedule (including items like ESPN3) that lay out every game that is on tv for the next few days.   It is very helpful in helping to set dvrs fir games you might want to see.

One thing I'll always disagree on with Scooby and most others, I loved and still love "GO GO USA" from Sir Darke. I hope to get a chance to bust that one out a bit later tonight. 

Which team do you think the rule of no extra time will favor?

I figure it can't hurt keeping Dempsey and Jones on for as high a % of the game as possible.  I don't know if either one could go 120 minutes tonight.

Which team do you think the rule of no extra time will favor?

I figure it can't hurt keeping Dempsey and Jones on for as high a % of the game as possible.  I don't know if either one could go 120 minutes tonight.
Good thing they only need to go 90 tonight. They go straight to PK for QF and SF. :X

i don't know each teams PK abilities but the thought of going against any SA team in PKs scares the crap out of me. :(  

possible change to lineup tonight.  Poor Besler if this is true :(

===================================

Paul Tenorio ‏@PaulTenorio  1m1 minute ago
Hearing Matt Besler is in the #USMNT starting lineup tonight. My guess is that he is at left back and F. Johnson moves to right back.
Wouldn't it make more sense for Besler to slot in at Cameron's CB spot, with Cam moving to RB?

ETA:  more sense in that Cameron > Besler on the outside.  Less sense in that you're breaking up a pretty strong CB pairing I guess.

I strongly disliked soccer in 2013, gave soccer a chance in the 2014 World Cup, fell in love, picked Liverpool and am now a crazed fan who hasn't thought about the NFL since the draft, has no idea what Alabama's prospects are in college football (probably good), and was as down after the Liverpool loss to Sevilla as anything that's happened to me in sports in a decade or more.

My advice is to pick a team, study the team, watch the team.  Force yourself to get a rooting interest.  That's just me though, plenty have done it by just watching for awhile and then "falling for a team".  

possible change to lineup tonight.  Poor Besler if this is true :(

===================================

Paul Tenorio ‏@PaulTenorio  1m1 minute ago
Hearing Matt Besler is in the #USMNT starting lineup tonight. My guess is that he is at left back and F. Johnson moves to right back.
I had a feeling this was going to be the case. Fab is the only one with the speed to make up for Yedlin. 

Besler is at least fresh, right?  #wishfulthinking

Wouldn't it make more sense for Besler to slot in at Cameron's CB spot, with Cam moving to RB?
I would have to look this up to be sure, but I am almost positive you can use one hand to count and still have 3 fingers left to use, the amount of times JK has started a righty/righty or lefty/lefty combo CB in his tenure here.

That may just be just coincidence though.

Have not yet seen if Besler in middle or on left.

Ives GalarcepVerified account‏@SoccerByIves

Ives Galarcep Retweeted U.S. Soccer

Matt Besler, not Michael Orozco, gets the starting nod. Besler at left back and Johnson at right back. #USMNT

I wonder if Jones is going to be assigned to basically help Besler all night like he did with Fab in game 1?

I just read on twitter that the only time Besler has played LB this decade was in the recent friendly when he subbed in during the second half.

I wonder if Jones is going to be assigned to basically help Besler all night like he did with Fab in game 1?

I just read on twitter that the only time Besler has played LB this decade was in the recent friendly when he subbed in during the second half.
One upside to this might be that Fab gets forward more, with Besler being more stay at home.  Fab is much better in attack than (anyone else) Yedlin.

One upside to this might be that Fab gets forward more, with Besler being more stay at home.  Fab is much better going forward than (anyone else on the team) Yedlin.
I think Ecuador's best player is Jefferson Montero who usually plays on the left wing.   When Fab was matched up against Cuadrado from Colombia he did not have much chance to get forward.  I think part of this change to move Fab to the right is to make sure to get a player with enough speed on the wing to cover him which Fab has.

I hope that he does have a chance to get forward tonight!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I think Orozco stinks. Don't trust him for a second.

Besler at LB obviously isn't ideal, but its the hand Yedlin dealt us. Better than breaking up Cam and Brooks.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I think Orozco stinks. Don't trust him for a second.

Besler at LB obviously isn't ideal, but its the hand Yedlin dealt us. Better than breaking up Cam and Brooks.
Agreed, and let's not pretend Yedlin has been lights out...particularly going forward.

That didn't work out too well vs Colombia. I hope they let JJJ be himself. 

lets play this one out.  Assume Chandler does not get hurt.  Does he start at RB tonight?
Maybe?  I suppose it depends on how he was practicing.  There are aspects of Chandler's game I like.  He's a decent crosser, particularly an early crosser.  He's also a good one on one defender when (and this is a huge caveat) he's in the right position in the first place.  But the guy gets lost so much.  And not in a "got caught upfield" kind of way.  In a, "I'm the guy 3 yards behind the rest of the back four" or "I've inexplicably drifted way centrally" kind of way.  

Probably the same guy who wants MLS to go single-table because "no other league in the world" has divisions and playoffs. You know that guy.
Hold on there now. Being critical of the MLS business model isn't the reason I don't know much about futbol. I'm dumb about futbol for a whole lot of other perfectly valid reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread