What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (15 Viewers)

I'm expecting a 1 or 2 goal loss where we're pretty clearly dominated.  A similar score where we looked good would be a nice surprise.  A draw or one goal win where we looked like #### would be even better.

Beckerman is a card waiting to happen against that attacking lineup.

But like ECU, the back third of the Arg lineup doesnt scare me.

With the sport being so fluky, the score is rarely as important to me as the improvement in technical ability and team cohesion. When we improve in those areas, the scores will come as deserved. Sorry to be That Guy.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Implied odds of a straight up win are 12%. :mellow:
Right.  With another ~8% chance that we win on PKs to go through (we're 4-1 to advance).

And in most other sports we wouldn't have even that much of a chance.  But soccer is funny.  Sometimes you get a PK and they get a red card, or your GK stands on his head and they hit the post five times.  Gives everyone a chance.

Anyone find a good hype video on YouTube or FB for this match yet? Can't find anything worth a damn... 
Andy linked to one you could use.  Has narration over the highlights from USA 2-0 Spain when we ended their multi-year unbeaten run in the CONFED Cup.

In that formation posted above, Zardoz and Pulisic will have to work their balls off on defense to try and cut off the passing from ARG midfield.  Banega on the left and Messi on the right of their attack will be trouble.  Masch will be the metronome from the center and Fernandez is there to clean up any junk.  I'd still probably put Kun in for Lavezzi though.  A front 3 of Kun, Higuaín, and Messi would be pretty deadly IMO.

Argentina's D is vulnerable so I love the idea of having 4 attacking options (Nagbe, Duece, Zardes, Pulisic) and then a solid 6 behind the ball. JK has not shown much trust in Zusi so I completely expect him to start him tonight  :tinfoilhat:

And in most other sports we wouldn't have even that much of a chance.  But soccer is funny.  Sometimes you get a PK and they get a red card, or your GK stands on his head and they hit the post five times.  Gives everyone a chance.
Ecuador won in Buenos Aires a few months ago, right? 0-2 in a WCQ.

What would be a respectable loss for the US?  1 - 3?
"Respectable losses" and "moral victories" are for losers.  You play...to win....the game.

I'll be pissed at anything short of going out there and standing toe to toe with these guys, punching forward and not huddling back.  If we lose 5-0, so be it.  A loss is a loss.  Stare them down and attack relentlessly.  Going out there and hoping not to lose too badly is a loser's mentality.  If we ever want to be a world power in soccer, it starts above the neck, GD it.  THERE IS NO DIGNITY IN LYING DOWN !  FOOT ON THE NECK, BOYS, AND LET'S DROWN THESE SONS OF B#TCHES !!!!

"Respectable losses" and "moral victories" are for losers.  You play...to win....the game.

I'll be pissed at anything short of going out there and standing toe to toe with these guys, punching forward and not huddling back.  If we lose 5-0, so be it.  A loss is a loss.  Stare them down and attack relentlessly.  Going out there and hoping not to lose too badly is a loser's mentality.  If we ever want to be a world power in soccer, it starts above the neck, GD it.  THERE IS NO DIGNITY IN LYING DOWN !  FOOT ON THE NECK, BOYS, AND LET'S DROWN THESE SONS OF B#TCHES !!!!
By the way, everything bolded is meant to be read in Angry Nick Nolte voice.

The talent gap is probably equal, but this is not the World Cup. It's very important, but it's not the World Cup. I don't think you can compare it with Olympic Hockey. 
What if, hypothetically, the US was to go on and win the tourney, ala taking the gold in Lake Placid. 

I dunno... not the same? I'll accept. Not even close? I don't know about that.... 

In the last US practice The US used this rough lineup and formation according to one of the media folks

===================

--------------------------------------Guzan-----------------------------------

Yedlin----------------Cameron----------------Brooks---------------Johnson

-------------------------------Bradley-   Beckerman----------------------------

--------------------------------------Zusi---------------------------------------

Zardes-------------------------------------------------------------------Pulisic

--------------------------------------Dempsey--
Move Zusi in Beckerman's spot and put Nagbe in for Zusi with Beckerman available off the bench if needed defensively and this looks strong. 

One of the best experiences I had watching a game. Watched with about 30 Portuguese guys who, combined, had probably been here 20 years. They were unhappy
I remember watching the US/Italy game in 2006 at an Italian American old man's club with my buddy and his family and his off-the-boat immigrant grandfather who had come to America in the 50s.  At least 75% of the room were direct Italian immigrants yet everyone was cheering for the US.  My friend's older brother asked his grandfather at halftime why everyone was cheering for the US and not Italy....his response was something to the effect of:  "I will never forget where I am from, but you have no idea how proud I am to be an American".  It was ####### awesome.

I remember watching the US/Italy game in 2006 at an Italian American old man's club with my buddy and his family and his off-the-boat immigrant grandfather who had come to America in the 50s.  At least 75% of the room were direct Italian immigrants yet everyone was cheering for the US.  My friend's older brother asked his grandfather at halftime why everyone was cheering for the US and not Italy....his response was something to the effect of:  "I will never forget where I am from, but you have no idea how proud I am to be an American".  It was ####### awesome.
I would've bought that man drinks for the rest of the night.

What if, hypothetically, the US was to go on and win the tourney, ala taking the gold in Lake Placid. 

I dunno... not the same? I'll accept. Not even close? I don't know about that.... 
Still no. The Miracle on Ice went down as the greatest upset of the last decade. As huge as a Copa American championship would be it won't go down as the greatest upset of this decade.

Same guy who had a yellow card to show to people?

The talent gap is probably equal, but this is not the World Cup. It's very important, but it's not the World Cup. I don't think you can compare it with Olympic Hockey. 
Technically its not even a real Copa America, but more of an exhibition. The winner won't get a ticket to the Confed Cup for example. Still I think it would be bigger than the Gold Cup for me, even if the latter is more important in a practical sense.

Users who are viewing this thread