What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

People have rightly been wondering why Toye, Parks and Aruaju are not on the roster.  It makes me think there might be a U23 roster announced soon but I am not sure.

These are the best numbers of any Yank at the U19 level ever, they even blow away what Pulisic did (although obviously Pulisic was younger which makes a huge difference).   There is a strong chance he gets his Bundesliga debut in the next few months.

https://twitter.com/FootWonderkidz/status/1190662599400144896?s=20
Uly Llanez, Tim Weah, Gio Reyna, KDF, Pulisic..... We could have a very very good winger group in 3-4 years if all these guys develop like we hope.

Another Im liking about CPs growth...he's giving the ball up at MF to his MFs and then getting himself forward to receive  Feel like he used to push the ball into space himself and then get defenders collapsing on him and space.
One thing I've really noticed that ties into this... he's really been picking better spots to take guys on.  I feel like in the past he'd try to take guys on every time he got the ball.  Now, like you pointed out, he's passing it off to his midfielders then getting into better position and waiting for the return pass.  He attempted only 4 dribbles today, but completed all 4.  In the past he'd have attempted 7 or 8 and only completed the 4.  Not giving the ball up will go a huge way towards keeping his spot in the lineup.

zoobird said:
U17s look like they’re giving up.  First time I’ve watched them play.  Bello has been the most impressive to me.  Ocampo-Chavez looks atrocious. 
I watched the first half and while Holland was slightly better, I never expected that final score line. 

Concacaf got smoked in this tournament.  Canada and Haiti combined for zero points.  Mexico and US combined for only 2 (Mexico has one game left).

The scary thing is the coach was expected to move up with this group to the U20's, but now after over seeing the worst GD in US U17 history in the group stage, they may need to rethink that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good to see that Pulisic's continued good play is happening simultaneously with Chelsea continuing to win.

Chelsea have won 5 straight in the league.  Outside of Man City who has won 3 straight, no team is on more than 2. (Leicester could be on 3 if they win today).

Chelsea also has a healthy 6 point spread between them and 5th

encaitar said:
Uly Llanez, Tim Weah, Gio Reyna, KDF, Pulisic..... We could have a very very good winger group in 3-4 years if all these guys develop like we hope.
I would love for 2-3 of these to develop to give us the option of moving Pulisic to the middle if need be. 

I acknowledge that he might be better at a quality club like Chelsea on the wing, but I am starting to lean to the fact that it is too easy to mark him out of a team like the US when on the wing.  Putting him in the middle might keep him more involved.

I watched the first half and while Holland was slightly better, I never expected that final score line. 

Concacaf got smoked in this tournament.  Canada and Haiti combined for zero points.  Mexico and US combined for only 2 (Mexico has one game left).

The scary thing is the coach was expected to move up with this group to the U20's, but now after over seeing the worst GD in US U17 history in the group stage, they may need to rethink that.
I had meant to comment on the region's abysmal showing. 

And to help the region grow, the region is limiting games outside the region. It's so concacaf.

Steffen gets a shut out today as Fortuna get a win to get them out of the relegation zone.

Weston is starting today in what looks to be a wide right midfielder in an old fashioned 4-4-2 diamond midfield.

Lampard was asked a common question about the large amount of good wingers he has and how he wants to manage them.

He said his philosophy is mixed.  He wants a glut to keep every one on their toes and to keep up competition but that he does not believe in rotation for rotation sake.

He also does not believe one bad game should remove a player from starting.  He wants to capitalize on momentum that individual players are displaying.

=======

This seems tailored made for Pulisic right now.  Of course the massive challenge will be making sure he stands out enough every game to keep himself seen as a regular starter.

Weston is starting today in what looks to be a wide right midfielder in an old fashioned 4-4-2 diamond midfield.
The human jack knife was moved to LCB due to an early injury in the game.

The breath of positions Weston has played in the last 12 months is remarkable and has to be extraordinarily rare.  I am pretty sure GK and LB are the only positions he has not seen decent Bundesliga minutes in.

This versatility would be very beneficial to US if some one emerges that would displace Weston as a starter for the US in the midfield, but if that does not happen, this hurts the US.

I would love for 2-3 of these to develop to give us the option of moving Pulisic to the middle if need be. 

I acknowledge that he might be better at a quality club like Chelsea on the wing, but I am starting to lean to the fact that it is too easy to mark him out of a team like the US when on the wing.  Putting him in the middle might keep him more involved.
Currently yes....  but, if we had the midfield to give him service I think he'd do more damage on the wing.  If Adams and McKennie can control the midfield and a playmaker like Pomykal or someone else develops, then Christian could play the same way he does for Chelsea, which could be really dangerous at the international level.  However, those are some big IFs.

Btw, I'm also liking how Frank is setting up Chelsea. Kovacic and Jorginho deep and all over the middle, with mount in front of them and CP and willian wide. It needs a guy up front who can keep pushing the defenders and allow CP/mount/willian to find seams either in front of the back line or making runs behind. The outside backs can get forward when opportunity arises.

I do think the US can set up in a similar way with the personnel on hand and get the most out of CP...out wide or floating/exchanging with swag in the mount role.

Btw, I'm also liking how Frank is setting up Chelsea. Kovacic and Jorginho deep and all over the middle, with mount in front of them and CP and willian wide. It needs a guy up front who can keep pushing the defenders and allow CP/mount/willian to find seams either in front of the back line or making runs behind. The outside backs can get forward when opportunity arises.

I do think the US can set up in a similar way with the personnel on hand and get the most out of CP...out wide or floating/exchanging with swag in the mount role.
Agreed.  I think the 4-2-3-1 works best for our personnel.  It really requires someone like Jozy up front though to make it truly effective.  Hope he can get healthy or Sargent or someone can figure out how to play that role.

Agreed.  I think the 4-2-3-1 works best for our personnel.  It really requires someone like Jozy up front though to make it truly effective.  Hope he can get healthy or Sargent or someone can figure out how to play that role.
Absolutely agree about Jozy working best in that. I do think/hope that Sarge can do a job up there. It's really about finishing the chances that come and putting in all that hard work to open up the three behind him..and the ginger is smart tactically- hoping the minutes in Germany give him the chops to do that work and then have the composure to finish the couple chances that come. Because he's not going to be a hold-up kind of player.

Nice Chris Richards goal today.  He got to train with the first team this week.  Although with the coach being sacked, it is probably not a good time for a young player trying to get a look.

https://twitter.com/FutureUsmnt/status/1191161925062856704?s=20
Maybe.  Bayern is struggling with injuries to their CBs though.  They already had 19 year old Lars Lukas Mai on the bench last game and Boateng picked up a red.  Outside chance that Richards could see the bench this weekend.

Maybe.  Bayern is struggling with injuries to their CBs though.  They already had 19 year old Lars Lukas Mai on the bench last game and Boateng picked up a red.  Outside chance that Richards could see the bench this weekend.
did they name a new coach or is it just a care taker for now?

These programs are great.  With our sucky winter in much of the country, I don't think we will ever get around too long an off season for MLS players, so the more of these things they do the better. 

It was one of these programs I believe that introduced Chris Richards to Bayern of which they eventually signed him.

===========

FC Dallas Homegrowns Edwin Cerrillo, Ricardo Pepi, Bryan Reynolds and Thomas Roberts will join FC Bayern Munich U19s and U23s for a two-week training period running from November 11-25 in Munich, Germany through the clubs’ Elite Player Development Partnership. North Texas Soccer Club midfielder David Rodriguez will also train with FC Bayern Munich.

did they name a new coach or is it just a care taker for now?
Just a caretaker.  There's a lot of good coaches without a contract right now.  Could see Mourinho or Allegri getting a call there.  No matter what, I don't see the youth being given much reign going forward as Munich is mired in the title fight.(rather than their normal easy path)

@ManuelVeth

#USMNT talent Chris Richard could be a surprise inclusion in #Bayern's matchday squad for the Klassiker against #BVB and perhaps even the #ChampionsLeague game against #Olympiacos

Nice!  The UEFA U19 youth league is considered pretty much the premier youth club competition in the world.

Today Ajax is starting Pynadath against Chelsea.

NewlyRetired said:
@ManuelVeth

#USMNT talent Chris Richard could be a surprise inclusion in #Bayern's matchday squad for the Klassiker against #BVB and perhaps even the #ChampionsLeague game against #Olympiacos
Saw this tweet.  Pretty crazy.  Sometimes having a caretaker that doesn't worry about his job is good for getting young guys opportunities.  Hope Richards cashes in if he's given the chance.

NewlyRetired said:
@ManuelVeth

One thing I find amusing about this though...  Martinez(who is a CDM) is expected to start at CB.  Kimmich(who is a RB) is expected to start at CDM.  So RB is empty and Richards(who is a CB) might start there......  Why not just play everyone at their natural position?  Is Berhalter their new caretaker?   :P

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
Pulisic starting vs. Ajax, but Dest is on the bench....  either Ajax is continuing to "punish" him for his choice  :hophead:  or they didn't like the matchup against Pulisic/CHO for Sergino.

Users who are viewing this thread