What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (10 Viewers)

Pulisic has more goals with his head, than his right foot :lmao: Never saw that coming.  

He can jump really well though.  If he continues to gain confidence in his head, his ridiculous quickness can get him to balls in the box faster than the defenders.

Pulisic has more goals with his head, than his right foot :lmao: Never saw that coming.  

He can jump really well though.  If he continues to gain confidence in his head, his ridiculous quickness can get him to balls in the box faster than the defenders.
He's been great at finding space this last month.  Like you said, his quickness allows him to find those creases between or behind the CBs and he's been hustling like crazy.  I think the early season struggles might have been the best thing that could have happened, because it forced him to focus and work even harder.  Now that he's seeing success for it that will likely continue going forward.  This is the 3rd or 4th game in a row where he was easily the most dangerous player on the pitch and that's with world class talent both around him and against him.  Loving what I'm seeing.

We might need a Pulisic thread if this continues :)

Pulisic now already has more EPL goals than he ever scored in the Bundesliga in a single season.  League goals specifically.

Hope so...  we'll see if he gets on that plane.  I think Lampard convinces him to stay in England if there's any concern.

Speaking of..... Zack Steffen started today.   Knee must not be THAT bad.
Ives tried to explain why he started today but it did not make much sense to me.

It is ironic when all of us said it was unfair to compare Pulisic to Hazard.  In terms of the two transfers, Pulisic has been significantly more productive for Chelsea than Hazard has been for RM.

Hope so...  we'll see if he gets on that plane.  I think Lampard convinces him to stay in England if there's any concern.
It doesn't help that nearly every coach must know what GGG did to Miles Robinson.  They are going to be extra careful now knowing they can't trust GGG to use some judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Jozy was so bad in England...a shame, because I think his game translates pretty well.
here is the full list of Yanks who have scored in the EPL

# of GOALS PLAYER

57 Clint Dempsey

36 Brian McBride

13 Roy Wegerle

8 Joe-Max Moore

8 Carlos Bocanegra

7 Claudio Reyna

5 Christian Pulisic

4 Preki

3 DaMarcus Beasley

2 DeAndre Yedlin

2 Jovan Kirovski

2 Landon Donovan

2 Cobi Jones

2 Stuart Holden

2 Jay DeMerit

2 John Harkes

2 Jozy Altidore

2 Geoff Cameron

1 Eric Lichaj

1 Jonathan Spector

1 Tim Howard

1 Brad Friedel

Pulisic really looking for goals lately.

He's definitely looking for his own shot a lot more lately.  He looks very dangerous lately.  These aren't all of his chances, but just a few examples of where he used his tremendous skill to open up a shot for himself.  He was very close to having a brace or another hat trick in this game.  He's really on fire right now.

Was it you that said CP would score a lot of goals this season? Good call if so. He's basically already around where I thought he'd finish give or take a few assists.
yeah, I was the only one who took the over in this thread.  Pretty much a gimme IMO.  Chelsea had 8 players with 8 or more last year as I recall.

Looks like Alphonso Davies is finding an unexpected home at LB for Bayern.  From reading, he played lights out today in the Dortmund game.

He will likely be used in a significantly more advanced role against the US.

It is nice to see some young Concacaf talents like Pulisic and Davies getting minutes for top club teams.

@zackstef_23

After much thought and consideration between myself, my club and the national team staff, I’m disappointed to have to pull out of these next two international games. Though a difficult one, we all believe it’s the best decision as I have been dealing with a knee injury for a while. It’s been a very frustrating and uncomfortable road, and with this break we believe I can get back to good health. I have full faith in the boys to get the job done!

Uly scored again today for the U19's. 

His dad was being cryptic (again) on why Uly was not called up to the US U23's camp.

NewlyRetired said:
Looks like Alphonso Davies is finding an unexpected home at LB for Bayern.  From reading, he played lights out today in the Dortmund game.

He will likely be used in a significantly more advanced role against the US.

It is nice to see some young Concacaf talents like Pulisic and Davies getting minutes for top club teams.
To follow up on this:

=================

@ManuelVeth

Ribéry walked through the mixed zone and when asked about Alphonso Davies said the following: “He was remarkable. To play like this as a young player, in what isn’t even his position. Remember he is only 19.”

================

The Dortmund coach even went as far to sub out Sancho in the first half because Davies was eating him alive.

================

The fact that young players like Adams and Davies can leave MLS and make strong impacts in good leagues should give us some hope that this can happen a few more times hopefully.

@SoccerInsider

Awaiting word on final #usmnt roster for must-win Nations League matches and whether Christian Pulisic will be on it. Injury concern over the weekend. Others under evaluation, as well

@SoccerInsider

Awaiting word on final #usmnt roster for must-win Nations League matches and whether Christian Pulisic will be on it. Injury concern over the weekend. Others under evaluation, as well
I'm sure I'm the only one here who still can't wrap his brain around what this tournament is. But, if the US loses, they're eliminated from progressing to the final round, correct? But that doesn't affect their standing in world cup qualifying, right?

I'm sure I'm the only one here who still can't wrap his brain around what this tournament is. But, if the US loses, they're eliminated from progressing to the final round, correct? But that doesn't affect their standing in world cup qualifying, right?
That is correct.

Canada can effect its WCQing, but not the US. 

However I should mention if the US completely face plants in the next two games, there is a distant mathematical chance they will actually not qualify for the next Gold Cup.

For this to happen, they have to lose to both Cuba and Canada and Cuba has to make up a 19 GD difference.

For the US to win group and advance in this tournament, they must win both games and make up a 4 GD difference on Canada (the GD requirement is very likely to be met if they meet the first requirement).

As of today, only one country has advanced to the next round (the semi finals) and that is Honduras.  The other three teams will be known once this international window is complete.

The semi finals don't start until next June.

Here is the 23 man roster.  Pulisic is not on it but may join later after evaluations,  Jozy (obviously) and Bradley are not included.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/11/gregg-berhalter-names-23-players-to-final-usmnt-roster-for-nations-league-matches
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 62/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 37/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 9/0), Sergiño Dest (Ajax/NED; 2/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 14/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 12/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 38/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 60/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 12/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 17/6), Alfredo Morales (Fortuna Düsseldorf/GER; 14/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 18/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 30/5), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 8/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 37/7), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 11/3), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 54/10)

WIN TO GET IN

Holding its destiny in its own hands, the path for the United States to advance to the knockout stage of the inaugural Nations League is clear: win both remaining matches and achieve a superior goal differential. Canada is on top of the group with nine points and a plus-nine goal differential, largely on the strength of scoring seven times in two games against Cuba. The U.S. notched seven of their own the first time around against Cuba and will need to keep their foot on the gas. First up, however, is a massive rematch against the Canadian team that ignited their home crowd and support across the nation with a 2-0 win on Oct. 15 in Toronto, their first against the United States in more than three decades.

Lol. We're gonna lose to Canada again
When I look at the roster my first thought is "where the hell are the goals going to come from?"

Jozy and Pulisic are our two main players who know the general direction of the goal.   

Morris is a decent complementary piece to the full squad but with no Pulisic to worry about, Morris can easily be handled I think by any half way awake game plan.

Dest is going to provide some much needed width on the left but outside of him I don't think there is a single player on the roster who can break down a defender on the dribble on any regular basis.  Lletget can do it a little but for some reason GGG prefers Roldan in that advanced role.

If we used a 4-2-3-1 with this roster I would feel better defensively, but still would be worried offensively. 

The back 6 is fairly solid if lined up like this, while the front 4 is "yikes" territory.

.............................................Guzan

Yedlin...................Long........................Brooks.................Dest

.................................Morales.........Weston

..Nips..................................Lletget..............................Morris

..........................................Sargent

Here is the 23 man roster.  Pulisic is not on it but may join later after evaluations,  Jozy (obviously) and Bradley are not included.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/11/gregg-berhalter-names-23-players-to-final-usmnt-roster-for-nations-league-matches
Pulisic now 100% out of roster.  Quote below from GGG

=======================

"Christian is officially at this stage ruled out. We just got that information. This was a collaborative decision with the club. looking after the best interest of the player.  These decisions are always difficult because this group and the coaching staff want nothing more than to have Christian here, but it was a risk we weren’t willing to take at this time."

Pulisic now 100% out of roster.  Quote below from GGG

=======================

"Christian is officially at this stage ruled out. We just got that information. This was a collaborative decision with the club. looking after the best interest of the player.  These decisions are always difficult because this group and the coaching staff want nothing more than to have Christian here, but it was a risk we weren’t willing to take at this time."
Man, I'm so happy he's on great form for his club.  So so so so so happy for Chelsea.

Basically we're gonna have to get lucky....to win 1-0..... against Canada.

But hey, at least the berhalter brothers got paid

Basically we're gonna have to get lucky....to win 1-0..... against Canada.

But hey, at least the berhalter brothers got paid
After last game and benching CP, I'm ready to move on.

But even if we magically had Pep as the USMNT coach.. he'd still have to pull from the same group of players. Without CP and Jozy, (and weah) who is pep going to play that's any different? I'd say the team could use a high energy Holmes in the MF...otherwise, :shrug:

Canada will still have those quality guys up front, journeymen decent types in the MF (who played lights out and without mistakes last game), and a pretty pedestrian back line.

US needs to do much, much better winning the battle in the MF, pushing the game higher into Canada's half and putting that defensive unit under pressure. And hopefully somebody for the US can figure out how to score against a decent team.

Users who are viewing this thread