What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

Had Chelsea up on the second monitor at the office.... Pulisic once again played great.  Wasn't involved in any of the scoring, but his movement helped create the space for the first one and he was involved in the build up for their second.

His close control was amazing this game.  Ball stuck to his feet like glue.  A little bit of luck, or a little less outstanding play by Villa's keeper and he'd have had 1 or 2 and a couple of assists tonight.  Once again, hope his form continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Chelsea up on the second monitor at the office.... Pulisic once again played great.  Wasn't involved in any of the scoring, but his movement helped create the space for the first one and he was involved in the build up for their second.

His close control was amazing this game.  Ball stuck to his feet like glue.  A little bit of luck, or a little less outstanding play by Villa's keeper and he'd have had 1 or 2 and a couple of assists tonight.  Once again, hope his form continues.
I watched second half only but he looked strong in those 45 minutes.  You could see his hunger for a goal.

I might be watching with a strong Pulisic bias but Mount continually refuses to make passes that would put him through on goal.  It does not help my perspective that I think Mount is a significant c-unt.  He #####es at everyone and never seems to enjoy a team mate scoring.

Usually most coaches will not fan the flames of hype around a young player but Lampard seems as enamored as the rest of us

=========================================================

“Really impressed,” Lampard said, via Football.London. “I think he is playing really well. Since he came into the team, at Burnley got those goals and carried on with his form. He can score more but we’ve got a player in Christian that is really exciting and when you see this type of player in the modern day and you see their quality.

“He has got the ability to go on to the extra level, which is the top level of world football. At the minute he is doing really well and I hope he keeps that up.”

I watched second half only but he looked strong in those 45 minutes.  You could see his hunger for a goal.

I might be watching with a strong Pulisic bias but Mount continually refuses to make passes that would put him through on goal.  It does not help my perspective that I think Mount is a significant c-unt.  He #####es at everyone and never seems to enjoy a team mate scoring.
I don't know if it's purposeful(I hope not), but Mount had multiple opportunities in the second half to play Pulisic in and chose not to.  I "hope" it's just him not being aware, but if it's purposeful, then Mount needs to be sat down.... permanently.  Personal grudges/rivalries have zero business in the EPL.

I don't know if it's purposeful(I hope not), but Mount had multiple opportunities in the second half to play Pulisic in and chose not to.  I "hope" it's just him not being aware, but if it's purposeful, then Mount needs to be sat down.... permanently.  Personal grudges/rivalries have zero business in the EPL.
Mount and Hudson ohboy (but especially mount) have similar games in the final third where they want to drive forward and primarily go for goal. I've noticed this lead to extra touches on their part and less vision for slashing teammates who might be in better situations- particularly CPs crafty little runs. I guessed that this was a lampard directive to attack the goal on their part more than them being inherently selfish or carrying a grudge (is there a record of a grudge with mount?). It also could be that they lack the vision of a tip top guy to be able to drive at goal AND see the runners.

David Ochoa is the talented U20 keeper for the US.  He currently plays for Real Monarchs in the USL where he just won the championship tonight.

With Rimando retiring this year, it might be perfect timing for him to move up to RSL next season, which if he could get time would be fantastic at his young age for a keeper.
He's going to have some competition for that RSL spot soon.  I can't say more than that.
This ended up being a false alarm.  John McCarthy signed with Inter Miami instead.

Sounds like he may not be back until after winter break

========

SV Werder Bremen EN

@werderbremen_en

Bad news @joshsargent will be out until after Christmas with a muscle strain

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
an article on BBC about N American players- alvarez, gio, jayden nelson (CAN)

alvarez: "There were and still are no decisive factors, really," Alvarez tells BBC Sport when asked about his decision to switch. "It's just wherever I am happy. Right now, I'm happy with Mexico so, as long as I'm happy, it's going to be Mexico. But in the future you never know."

gio:

The United States disappointed in Brazil, exiting the group stage following heavy defeats by Senegal and the Netherlands and a 0-0 draw with Japan. If their much-hyped forward Giovanni Reyna is seeking solace, he need not look too far from home.

Reyna's father Claudio - who played for Rangers, Sunderland and Manchester City - crashed out of the same tournament in 1989 before going on to captain the USA at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups. Similarly, current US skipper Christian Pulisic failed to reach the knock-outs in 2015 yet is now setting the Premier League alight with Chelsea following a move from Borussia Dortmund.

'Gio' Reyna may then process the pain of the past month as a positive, as a rite of passage that all successful American soccer players must go through. Named after Giovanni van Bronckhorst, his dad's former team-mate at Rangers, perhaps the hardest thing to accept will be that, arguably for the first time in his fledgling career, he was not the standout performer among players his own age.

Reyna was born in England and has been regarded as the jewel of his generation for more than a decade. Comparisons with America's soccer sweetheart Pulisic were perhaps inevitable, but they sharpened this summer when, aged 16, Reyna signed for Dortmund after gaining a Portuguese passport through his paternal grandmother, Maria. The German club's assistant manager, Jorg Heinrich, says Reyna is "similar… or maybe a little bit better" than 21-year-old Pulisic.

Such talk does not faze a teenager who has been encircled by expectation since his days dominating at Under-9 level aged five years old. Now 6ft 1in, he has an assertive presence on the field, can read a game well and is at his best when driving at pace towards defenders. He carries the ball quickly, but in a style closer to one of his favourite players, Kaka, than his compatriot Pulisic.

"Of course, it's nice to be compared to Christian because he's the best American player right now, but really I would like to create my own path," Reyna, who exchanges messages with Pulisic, tells BBC Sport.

"It's good to have someone only a few years older than me that I can look up to. We have similarities, but we are very different players, so I think some years down the line we can make a good duo."

During Under-17 World Cup qualifying Reyna scored six times in six games, and in Brazil he wore the captain's armband despite being the third-youngest player in the squad. "Gio is one of the best players I've ever coached in this age group," says his US manager Raphael Wicky. "He's a special player; a lot of technical ability. He can make a difference."

At just 17, there are obvious areas to improve. In the 4-1 loss to Senegal, Reyna failed to find a way to impose himself on the game, and after the 4-0 defeat by the Netherlands his reluctance to press was highlighted by the Dutch coach as a reason for the comfortable scoreline. Wicky, however, believes his young captain is now in the perfect place to learn.

"Gio has made the big step up and at Dortmund there is no red carpet," says Wicky, a former Switzerland defensive midfielder who spent 10 years playing in the Bundesliga. "You have to prove yourself every day. If you don't, someone else will take your place. Gio has a lot of the qualities that a player needs, but football is not only attacking; it's defending, commitment, mentality. That's something he'll learn at a top club in Germany. And if he learns that, 100% he will be there at the World Cup in 2026."

For now at least, Brazil appears to be a mere bump in the road. In July, Reyna made his first start for Dortmund in a pre-season friendly against Liverpool and two months later coach Lucien Favre included him in his Champions League squad. No surprise then, that seven years seems like too long a wait.

"Of course 2026 is there, but for me, my goal is to be at the next World Cup," he says. "I'll be 19 by then and I think, all going to plan, I am more than capable of making it."

I tried posting a BBC article from work about 3 n American players, Alvarez, Gio and Canadian Hunter. Didn't work, apparently.

I was wondering how long it would take for Tab to start airing dirty laundry.  Just a little over 30 days.  I fear this is just the beginning of the airing of grievances.
It still amazes me (and to his credit to be honest) how Klinsmann has taken the high road all this time. 

Can you imagine the fall out if they name Berhalter as CEO? 

The best I can tell is that the entire upper echelon of the federation is almost tone deaf.

So... Weahs back in training. Yay. Sarge has been shut down until end of winter break (groin issue picked up with US). Boo. And I'm sure jozy got hurt tweeting out this workout pics with tennis wife.

Resurgent?

They just don't get it.

@USMNT: In a resurgent year for the #USMNT, @gyasinho led the 🇺🇸 with a career high 6️⃣ goals in 2019. 

Making the case for Gyasi Zardes as @ussoccer Male Player of the Year>> http://ussoc.cr/POTM https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1202989636257271813/video/1
It was such a poor year for the program I guess it fits that the nominees for player of the year are also going to be poor. 

Zardes was not the only head scratcher, they some how squeezed in a nomination for Ream too.

It was such a poor year for the program I guess it fits that the nominees for player of the year are also going to be poor. 

Zardes was not the only head scratcher, they some how squeezed in a nomination for Ream too.
Most positive spin they could honestly put on it is to call it a transition year.

Most positive spin they could honestly put on it is to call it a transition year.
That would have worked better for me if the coach at the beginning of the year stated we are going with the youth only and while that may lead to some rough results, we need to plan for the future.

But we all know he kept plugging in too many vets and yet still was not able to avoid many poor results.

I just hope we can have a healthy 2020 because it gets real starting next summer.

Lol at "resurgent". Some 24 year old that majored in Social Media really dropped the ball on that one.

What a clown show. 

Emmy stays with ATL...I think transferred, not on loan?

Not too relevant, I guess...but I always liked his game and hope he can improve it.

Champions League Wrap Ups for Yanks

Pulisic through to knock out rounds

Marsch came in 3rd, headed to Europa League

Weah (injured) is out of Europe

Adams (injured) is through to knock out rounds

Dest came in 3rd, headed to Europa League

For only coming in 3rd, Marsch gained a lot of fans for his coaching style.  As a fan, I love the high press, and would love to see him implement this for the Nats in the run up to 2026.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/jesse-marsch-praised-after-red-bull-salzburgs-champions-league-loss-to-liverpool/
I wish I had posted the nyrb insider video of him gameplanning with players...amazing how clear the instructions were and how well they were implemented. I'm a possession fan, but he converted me in those few minutes on tape.

ETA... Iirc I DID post a link 

Article in the Guardian (British tabloid, I think) about CP...

“Personality” was the buzzword that Lampard invoked in advance of the game. This could be read in one of several ways. Maybe Lampard was challenging his side’s mettle.

Maybe, with the January window looming, he was trying to ##### a few egos. Or perhaps he was simply appealing to their expressive side: an entreaty to keep inventing, even with the stakes at their highest. In which case he will have been quietly impressed with one player in particular.

Christian Pulisic did not score or assist a goal. He made just 19 passes and saw far less of the ball than the busy Willian on the opposite flank.

And in many ways this has always been the major criticism of him: that for a player of such natural gifts he is rarely as straightforwardly impactful as he should be. But here he demonstrated what he does best: running a game without – for the most part – appearing to do much of interest at all.

Partly, of course, this is simply the nature of the creative midfielder. The creator needs to play on the off-beats, to feel the game on a different wavelength from everyone else. In the modern game this is a doubly difficult task, because as well as attacking to a syncopated rhythm, the creator is also usually required to defend to a conventional one.

Like Eden Hazard, the man he was putatively signed to replace, Pulisic likes to start outside the defender’s eyeline, whether cutting in from the right flank as he did at Borussia Dortmund or on the left as he does at Chelsea.

For only coming in 3rd, Marsch gained a lot of fans for his coaching style.  As a fan, I love the high press, and would love to see him implement this for the Nats in the run up to 2026.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/jesse-marsch-praised-after-red-bull-salzburgs-champions-league-loss-to-liverpool/
Don't know if you saw it, but Klopp was clapping as he walked towards Marsch to shake hands after the game, and had some really nice things to say in the presser as well.

It did feel like a heavyweight fight until the 2nd goal -- both sides throwing bombs at each other.  Liverpool needed to play well to win.

Maybe, with the January window looming, he was trying to ##### a few egos.
I can't figure out the ##### and it is bothering me.  'Bruise' is what Americans would say, but that wouldn't be filtered.  *itch doesn't make sense, *hit and *uck don't fit.  I'm at a loss.    

Thanks for the article quote.  

Users who are viewing this thread