• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Our normally toothless soccer media in this country must have been treated really bad by this Hudson U20 coach because he is getting eviscerated by all media types.

I noticed that too.  Usually there are one or two "contrarians" that like to come out against a new hire, but I don't think I've seen one guy happy with the hire(other than probably Hudson himself).  Hell, Sports Illustrated threw some shots at him and they know nothing about soccer.

Is this really the best hire the USSF can accomplish right now?  We might be in worse trouble than we even thought.

5 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I noticed that too.  Usually there are one or two "contrarians" that like to come out against a new hire, but I don't think I've seen one guy happy with the hire(other than probably Hudson himself).  Hell, Sports Illustrated threw some shots at him and they know nothing about soccer.

Is this really the best hire the USSF can accomplish right now?  We might be in worse trouble than we even thought.

Chaos is a ladder.

• Laughing 1
6 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Hudson really was a disaster with the Rapids. ParticulArly in terms of ####ting all over his team. Doesn’t mean he will necessarily be a bad U20 coach. He doesn’t really have to do media at all in that position. But not surprised the hire is being panned. 

It is kind of a shame that if they were looking for MLS coaches who were recently sacked, that they didn't think to talk to the guy who, coincidentally, has already won the U20 WC as a coach.

Edited by NewlyRetired
7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Ok, remind me...wtf did ernie mandate the Chicago residency thing?

I first heard about it a few months ago.

It does not make any sense.  No national teams of any age ever train in Chicago and with today's modern meeting technology via the internet, the need to all be together in one place is significantly reduced imo.

This is something to be worried about IMO.  I know we're two years out still, but if tensions are still high when the WC hits Qatar in 2022 I wouldn't be surprised to see teams choose to forgo the tourney.  It'd be unprecedented sure, but if the US and Iran were still in the same situation at the time, I know I wouldn't want to be that close to the mess if I were a player.

51 minutes ago, encaitar said:

This is something to be worried about IMO.  I know we're two years out still, but if tensions are still high when the WC hits Qatar in 2022 I wouldn't be surprised to see teams choose to forgo the tourney.  It'd be unprecedented sure, but if the US and Iran were still in the same situation at the time, I know I wouldn't want to be that close to the mess if I were a player.

Exactly. 

But, this middle east situation hasn't been going on for that long right... should be done by then.  lol 

Yikes, these groups don't seem balanced.

============================================

Olympic Qualifying Draw

Group A: US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic

Group B: Canada, ELS, Honduras, Haiti

=================================

top 2 from each group advance to semi finals.  The two teams that make the finals qualify for the Olympics.

All games will be played in Mexico.   The best hope seems to be trying to scrape second from Costa Rica and then getting a weaker team from Group B in the semi finals.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Laughing 2
8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yikes, these groups don't seem balanced.

============================================

Olympic Qualifying Draw

Group A: US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic

Group B: Canada, ELS, Honduras, Haiti

=================================

top 2 from each group advance to semi finals.  The two teams that make the finals qualify for the Olympics.

All games will be played in Mexico.   The best hope seems to be trying to scrape second from Costa Rica and then getting a weaker team from Group B in the semi finals.

What in the ever loving ####? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

my best guess is that CONCACAF did this to make sure US and Mexico could not meet in the semi finals and by definition knock the other out of the Olympics.

Did they not do an actual draw?

1 hour ago, Moe. said:

They did a draw.  

Honduras was given a top seed (with Mexico) over both CR and US, which led to the possible group imbalance that did come to pass.   

Then it was just luck of draw/corruption that made the groups what they were.  It was probably just bad luck more than anything being fixed since there is not ton of money involved here.

9 hours ago, Moe. said:
10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

my best guess is that CONCACAF did this to make sure US and Mexico could not meet in the semi finals and by definition knock the other out of the Olympics.

Moe, CONCACAF.

CONCACAF, Moe.

The punch is over there.

• Like 1

####.  Adams was suppose to be out a few weeks with this as well and that turned into 9 months :(

=======

Brian Sciaretta

Per Frank Lampard's press conference, #USMNT winger/No. 10 Christian Pulisic to miss a few weeks for Chelsea: "Pulisic is out, he'll be out for a few weeks. He was injured in training last Saturday. It's an injury in the abductor, so he's got a tendon injury

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

####.  Adams was suppose to be out a few weeks with this as well and that turned into 9 months :(

=======

Brian Sciaretta

Per Frank Lampard's press conference, #USMNT winger/No. 10 Christian Pulisic to miss a few weeks for Chelsea: "Pulisic is out, he'll be out for a few weeks. He was injured in training last Saturday. It's an injury in the abductor, so he's got a tendon injury

:wall:

CHICAGO (Jan. 10, 2020) – The U.S. Soccer Federation has appointed three-time FIFA World Cup veteran Brian McBride as the new General Manager of the U.S. Men’s National Team.

McBride, who earned 95 caps and scored 30 goals during a 14-year international career with the USMNT, will report to U.S. Soccer Sporting Director Earnie Stewart.

McBride will begin the position immediately, joining USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter and the rest of the staff and players for January Camp in Bradenton, Fla. On Monday, Jan. 13, McBride and Stewart will be available on a media teleconference call.

“We are thrilled to have Brian McBride assume the role as General Manager of the U.S. Men’s National Team,” Stewart said. “Through his impressive career as a three-time World Cup veteran and at clubs in England, Germany and the United States, he has earned the respect of his peers around the world. The hard-earned reputation will allow him to forge important relationships both internationally and here at home, and his understanding of the game and what it takes to succeed at the highest levels will be invaluable to our player pool and our staff.”

McBride was chosen from a list of 20 domestic and foreign candidates. Stewart, assisted by USWNT General Manager and Head of Women’s Football Kate Markgraf, conducted interviews with multiple candidates before recommending McBride to the Technical Committee for approval and the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors for ratification.

Working closely with Stewart and Berhalter, McBride’s primary areas of focus will be to oversee the development and management of the player pool, build and guide the culture within the Men’s National Team environment, manage relationships with clubs and represent the USMNT on the global stage.

“I am incredibly honored to once again represent the National Team and the U.S. Soccer Federation,” McBride said. “It’s critically important for everyone to understand the privilege and pride that goes with wearing the jersey, and I’m excited about the opportunity to build relationships with players and clubs that align with the philosophy and values of U.S. Soccer. In this position, part of my job is to work alongside Gregg and his staff in fostering a growth mentality for the USMNT and to help Earnie ensure that this mindset is present in all of our Youth National Teams. I look forward to working with Earnie and Kate Markgraf to continue the progress we have made in the last two decades.” 

In an international career defined by hard work and pivotal goals, McBride earned 95 caps for the USMNT from 1993-2006 and represented the United States at the 1998, 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups. The target striker scored the USA’s lone goal at France ’98 and went on to become the first USMNT player to score in multiple World Cups when he put the USA up 3-0 against Portugal, setting the stage for one of the most significant goals in team history when he bagged the game-winner against Mexico in the 2-0 shutout victory in the 2002 World Cup Round of 16.

Having represented the United States at eight senior international tournaments, McBride won the Most Valuable Player award and the Golden Boot in helping the USA win the 2002 Concacaf Gold Cup, and also scored two goals as the USMNT finished third at the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup. Though he retired from senior international play following the 2006 FIFA World Cup, McBride made a brief return to the world’s stage, participating for the USA as one of three overage players at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

McBride suited up for clubs in Germany, the United States and England during a 17-year professional career. Having began his career with the Milwaukee Rampage in 1994, the striker then moved abroad for a season with German Second Division outfit Wolfsburg before returning to the United States for the launch of Major League Soccer. Selected first overall in Major League Soccer’s Inaugural Player Draft in 1996, McBride would become a mainstay for Columbus Crew SC, racking up 161 appearances and 62 goals from 1996-2003, while helping lead the side to the 2002 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title.

Loan stints to English sides Preston North End and Everton preceded a career defining transfer to Fulham in 2004. The veteran striker became a fan favorite during four-and-a-half seasons at Craven Cottage, with his pivotal goals down the stretch in both the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons helping the club stave off relegation while also earning the club’s Player of the Season in both campaigns. McBride’s legacy is so strong at Craven Cottage that a bar inside the stadium was later named in his honor.

Following his memorable stay with Fulham, McBride returned home to end his career, playing with Chicago Fire from 2008-2010. The striker amassed 18 goals in 59 regular season appearances, helping the club to back-to-back Eastern Conference Finals in 2008 and 2009. Collegiately, McBride turned out for famed soccer powerhouse Saint Louis University from 1990-93, setting school records for goals (72) and assists (40), and earning All-American honors on two occasions.

For the past seven years, McBride has provided expert on-air analysis and commentary, first for FOX and then ESPN. In 2011, he founded McBride’s Attacking Soccer Academy, and he was the Co-Founder & Chief Strategic Officer for TiPEVO in charge of strategic offerings and outreach to the youth sports community. He holds a bachelor’s degree in secondary education from Saint Louis University and a USSF ‘B’ License.

6 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Is it normal to have players running the national teams like this?

I think this GM role is kind of unique and they are defining it as they go.  Hopefully in the press conference they will better explain what his responsibilities are but in general it sounds like he is going to be the face going forward when interfacing with clubs and players.  McBride, being universally liked should be perfect for that specific role.

But he really does not have any experience in any of this so he will likely be learning as he goes.

Edited by NewlyRetired
22 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think this GM role is kind of unique and they are defining it as they go.  Hopefully in the press conference they will better explain what his responsibilities are but in general it sounds like he is going to be the face going forward when interfacing with clubs and players.  McBride, being universally liked should be perfect for that specific role.

But he really does not have any experience in any of this so he will likely be learning as he goes.

So.. you think it'll be his responsibility to update the kids and let them know their value and what the US plan for them is??? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blend said:

So.. you think it'll be his responsibility to update the kids and let them know their value and what the US plan for them is??? 

I don't see a need for that.

-gggggghh

Bake has long been one of my favorite players so I want him to succeed in this role.

I tried to find information on whether he speaks Spanish or not but could not find anything concrete that is recent.  The only thing I saw was back in 2010 he was starting to learn and engage in conversations with Spanish speaking teammates.

25 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Great he got the goal, and nice movement...but super sloppy on his part with the ball in that video.

Yeah, he definitely wasn't very clinical with the ball, but he also didn't look completely outclassed IMO, which is amazing considering his age.

Dortmund chatter is that they will slowly integrate him into the squad this spring with the hope that he could potentially be a Sancho replacement in a year or two.  High expectations, but he's very very highly regarded there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, encaitar said:

Yeah, he definitely wasn't very clinical with the ball, but he also didn't look completely outclassed IMO, which is amazing considering his age.

Dortmund chatter is that they will slowly integrate him into the squad this spring with the hope that he could potentially be a Sancho replacement in a year or two.  High expectations, but he's very very highly regarded there.

I liked where he was getting the ball and the runs that were shown...all  seemingly fit well with the team. One or two inconsistent touches would as well. But he was really sloppy- made me worried that it was a step back kind of game for him. But great to hear that they're considering him for more senior team integration, and something as lofty as Sancho replacement.

I never saw anything in Soto so I don't take this as a surprise but "yikes" anyway.  It is not often you see a coach drive the bus back and forth over a young player.

===========================

Brian Sciaretta

Hannover boss Kenan Kocak with harsh words for American forward Sebastian Soto after yesterday's friendly loss to Werder: "If Soto plays like he does today, he has no chance. He doesn't work enough against the ball and his aggressiveness is not present."

9 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I never saw anything in Soto so I don't take this as a surprise but "yikes" anyway.  It is not often you see a coach drive the bus back and forth over a young player.

===========================

Brian Sciaretta

Hannover boss Kenan Kocak with harsh words for American forward Sebastian Soto after yesterday's friendly loss to Werder: "If Soto plays like he does today, he has no chance. He doesn't work enough against the ball and his aggressiveness is not present."

Wow

Is that the kind of statement a coach should be making publicly?