• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

8 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Still have no idea why he wasn't called up, much less starting for us in these last few games.  He's got to be in the best form of any USMNT player.

It was a genuine slap in the face to not even get the call-up.

Anybody know if ggggg contacted him at least? I get that he wanted to reward lletget and get him in the mix with the young players...but only Soto and Giochi up front (and kudos to them for making the most of their minutes), it's shocking not to have brought in a guy, in europe, who can't stop scoring goals.

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Anybody know if ggggg contacted him at least? I get that he wanted to reward lletget and get him in the mix with the young players...but only Soto and Giochi up front (and kudos to them for making the most of their minutes), it's shocking not to have brought in a guy, in europe, who can't stop scoring goals.

i think he said "they talked"

I get that he's playing in a lousy league, but his quality has never been in doubt and he just turned 30. He's a year younger than Jozy and only like a year older than Zardes.  Up until the emergence of this recent group, you would struggle to find many US attacking players (basically, the list is Donovan and Dempsey) with his sort of skill in the box over the last 15 years or so.

I still think he can contribute to qualifying and I hope he gets a shot.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

The search function appears broken again but I think I posted a tweet way back when the roster was released (before Lletget was added) that GGG called Bacon and explained why he was not being called for the camp due to the roster leaning towards a U23 combined squad.

That made some sense until the Lletget call up.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

So...the scandi leagues shut down over winter, iirc, typically allowing them to join mls players at camp cupcake. Does gg bring him in then?

I have not read whether they will be having a Jan camp.  They seem to be having one in early December instead.

Hammerby has three games left so it will be tight as to whether he would be available for the December camp.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Musah right back in the starting lineup for Valencia today.

I hate getting my hopes up for him.

gonzales was a kid I would have liked for the US, but didn't see him as anything more than depth behind SwagAdams. Rossi...damn him. But whatever. musah...Im ready to move Gio around to make room in the starting 11- they all looked soooo good in MF playing together. Daddy wants!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Busio with a goal that should have been the game winner

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/gmnzkd

until an old friend said "not so fast"

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/nkanbe

That first goal... Wow. What an assist to lay that off in that spot. Everything about that play. That pass up the line, the touch to control and the cross, the assist.... Beautiful goal.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

That first goal... Wow. What an assist to lay that off in that spot. Everything about that play. That pass up the line, the touch to control and the cross, the assist.... Beautiful goal.

Doesn't match the beauty of the coach's hair do after wondos goal though.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Must be a night for injury time goals.  This one is from Pepi to tie it late

https://streamable.com/x2hrh8

That first burst was nice.

Pepi's another kid up front that we've been waiting on to be an option up there based on how he's looked at the youth level.

I haven't watched any DAL games...do you have a sense of he's still improving? 

I watched a couple minutes of the MIN v COl game and saw Bassett for the first time. But he didn't do anything in those minutes.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

That first burst was nice.

Pepi's another kid up front that we've been waiting on to be an option up there based on how he's looked at the youth level.

I haven't watched any DAL games...do you have a sense of he's still improving? 

I watched a couple minutes of the MIN v COl game and saw Bassett for the first time. But he didn't do anything in those minutes.

I have not watched enough to make an informed decision on Pepi.

• Like 1

I'll let the barca regulars chime in, and while it's still messi and barca, messi doesn't look like he's having fun the couple games I've watched. And the team doesn't look like it's playing dominant soccer...hoping Dest isn't seen as a figurehead or harbinger of the team's decline. (Caveat... I've only seen a few games since dest joined, so I could be of about all of that)

22 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Lampard said today that they expect to have Pulisic available this coming weekend against Spurs.

I’ve seen this reported in multiple places, but his actual quote is a bit less certain.

‘Christian stays back and doesn’t travel but the good news he has had good progression in the last week. The reason he is staying back is to get some physical work in to hopefully have him ready for selection for this weekend and onwards.’

• Thinking 1

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

Expecting a lot of Americans to get some minutes in the #ChampionsLeague this week. Reports in Italy say Weston McKennie will start for Juve. Gio Reyna's camp is expecting him to start for Borussia Dortmund. Definitely think we see Dest for Barcelona and maybe even Konrad

===================

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

For #USMNT fans, a decent chance Chris Richards will feature for Bayern tomorrow night in the CL against Salzburg, perhaps even start. Guessing what position he might play is a bit more difficult. One of the full back positions most likely

22 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

Expecting a lot of Americans to get some minutes in the #ChampionsLeague this week. Reports in Italy say Weston McKennie will start for Juve. Gio Reyna's camp is expecting him to start for Borussia Dortmund. Definitely think we see Dest for Barcelona and maybe even Konrad

===================

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

For #USMNT fans, a decent chance Chris Richards will feature for Bayern tomorrow night in the CL against Salzburg, perhaps even start. Guessing what position he might play is a bit more difficult. One of the full back positions most likely

Gio has a camp?  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

At this time, who do you think is our best player out of these 3?  Who is likely to be the best when all is said and done after several years?

Pulisic, McKennie, or Dest? 

I think the answer to both is Dest.

I still think the answer to both is CP, but that first touch when he was receiving the ball back on the goal...great googly moogly.  

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

At this time, who do you think is our best player out of these 3?  Who is likely to be the best when all is said and done after several years?

Pulisic, McKennie, or Dest? 

I think the answer to both is Dest.

In terms of pure skill....  CP all day.  He made some of the best defenders in the world look pedestrian after the restart.  Go watch his run through Liverpool and you'll have zero doubt about who the most talented USMNT player of all time is.  

As for who will have a better career?  That's all dependent on Pulisic's health.  If he continues to miss half of every season, then I fully expect Adams, McKennie, Gio, and Dest to all have better careers than him.

• Like 3

Dest, Pulisic, Weston and Konrad will all move on to the UCL knock out round.  This ties the record from 16 years ago (DMB, Donovan, Howard and Spector).

Tomorrow, Richards can break the record if Bayern advance.

Gio is almost assured of joining this group.  Adams will be in a dog fight.

Edited by NewlyRetired