Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:
3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Do you think he will he be good enough to crack our starting lineup or should he be realistic and focus on playing for the B team to the south?

Technical skills,  yes, I think he would be a top 5 player.  athletically, I am still unsure.   The team itself appears to be in a transition right now where we have better athletes on the field (who can still play the sport).   This can work two ways for Alvarez, 1) he does not fit in or 2) we have extra room to support a highly skilled but less mobile player.

He clearly has started to take the physical side of the game more seriously as he lost the "doughy" shape he used to have.    I would love to get a chance to see him play at this level.  He was Mexico's best player at the U17 level but as we all know U17 does not always translate.

This is the the LA kid the zlat said was the real deal, right?

• Like 1
  • Replies 47.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

33 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

This is the the LA kid the zlat said was the real deal, right?

Yes.  One of the three amigos along with Uly and Mendez who all came up together in the Galaxy system.

Here is what Zlat said (really thoughtful and strongly worded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUOIntg71V4

Edited by NewlyRetired
21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yes.  One of the three amigos along with Uly and Mendez who all came up together in the Galaxy system.

Here is what Zlat said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUOIntg71V4

Down the rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd1IHbINPQU

How can this even be real...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Down the rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd1IHbINPQU

How can this even be real...

No way that's real. Margin for error hitting the crossbar repeatedly at all is pretty low...having it bounce back to exactly the same spot to catch on the juggle in the air...impossible 

11 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Chelsea have pretty much a B team out there today, with a couple exceptions, so this will be interesting.  I think Pulisic has worked well with Giroud in the past - hoping for more of that today in Sevilla.

Spoiled for choices but this is the game I will likely focus on.  There is probably no more important item for how far this generation can go than Pulisic staying healthy.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Spoiled for choices but this is the game I will likely focus on.  There is probably no more important item for how far this generation can go than Pulisic staying healthy.

Both teams are through, so they are playing to top the group and (in theory) get a slightly easier tie in the first knock out round.  There is potential for it to be a snoozer.  I guess the good news on Chelsea's side is that they have several guys out there today who aren't getting many minutes and have something to prove.

3 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Both teams are through, so they are playing to top the group and (in theory) get a slightly easier tie in the first knock out round.  There is potential for it to be a snoozer.  I guess the good news on Chelsea's side is that they have several guys out there today who aren't getting many minutes and have something to prove.

Yada yada yada....all about CP today.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
10 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Yada yada yada....all about CP today.

The beard will be in the spotlight today.

a slightly sneaky game for Gio today.  That team is so overloaded offensively, you really need to be involved in goals to stay in contention for minutes.  Gio could use a strong game today.

As a side related note, Haaland is out of the rest of December with an injury and won't return until after the winter break.

23 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Some guy I have never heard of before has a fabulous hat trick today in that game

https://streamye.com/v5v69

https://streamye.com/vb2ta

https://streamye.com/vmcko

Yeah, filthy stuff. I was watching him take that last free kick and knew he was going to bury it.

24 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

How have all the boys looked?

I watched Pulisic for his 68 minutes and Gio for the rest (he went 90).

Pulisic was very aggressive and focused but was not sharp technically (relative to his normal high standards which is expected coming off a long lay off).  I noticed no issues with him running, quickness and burst looked solid.    This is hopefully another step forward for him.

Gio was clean as always.  He was playing in a 10 role when I tuned in.  He set a really good chance for a teammate who pulled it wide.  Other than that one moment, he was not involved dangerously but was making the correct simple passes from what I could see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I watched Pulisic for his 68 minutes and Gio for the rest (he went 90).

Pulisic was very aggressive and focused but was not sharp technically (relative to his normal high standards which is expected coming off a long lay off).  I noticed no issues with him running, quickness and burst looked solid.    This is hopefully another step forward for him.

Gio was clean as always.  He was playing in a 10 role when I tuned in.  He set a really good chance for a teammate who pulled it wide.  Other than that one moment, he was not involved dangerously but was making the correct simple passes from what I could see.

Gio had the hockey assist with some neat quick touches on the goal.

• Like 2
On 12/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, Sammy3469 said:

Giovanni's dad would like a word with you. 

I'm a big Claudio fan, but Bradley was better during their prime and for longevity.  Both were outstanding players for the USMNT. Real leaders. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

He really should/could be a midfielder.  Looks like he's been learning a thing or two from Messi.

He used to be a midfielder and that's where he learned those ball skills. He then got moved to defender.

Given how fullbacks play and what they are asked to do for some of the top clubs, it's a perfect position for him. Especially since it looks like he defends well also.

My concern with the "modern" right/left backs is that they tend to be smaller and quicker players.  Even with 2 big central defenders, there will be times that a taller player is useful, like defending against free kicks coming in from wide or inswinging corners. 

29 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

My concern with the "modern" right/left backs is that they tend to be smaller and quicker players.  Even with 2 big central defenders, there will be times that a taller player is useful, like defending against free kicks coming in from wide or inswinging corners. 

Cannon is 5'11" and Robinson is 6'0". Reynolds is 6'3".

I'll take Dest's playmaking ability at the cost of his height for one of the FB spots, especially with lots of other taller players on the squad (lots of the MFers also have really good size).

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:
2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Dest comp from today's game.  Looks really good again

https://twitter.com/mkaComps/status/1334284534792249345?s=20

Can't love that kid enough. So, so good.

I keep saying the same thing- he looks like a guy who should be starting and featuring for Barca...which he is. I still can't believe he picked the US. Soooo good.

I know there are options if he doesn't come over, but I really want Musah.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

He used to be a midfielder and that's where he learned those ball skills. He then got moved to defender.

Given how fullbacks play and what they are asked to do for some of the top clubs, it's a perfect position for him. Especially since it looks like he defends well also.

It's a good position, but I would want that guy with the ball as much as possible based on that video.  There were Messi-like moments in there.

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I keep saying the same thing- he looks like a guy who should be starting and featuring for Barca...which he is. I still can't believe he picked the US. Soooo good.

I know there are options if he doesn't come over, but I really want Musah.

Perfect time for Musah.  USMNT is on the verge of that big break through and there are still seats on the bus.  In 2 years that window may close and you may be a back-up on some crapppy England team while the US is making a deep WC run.

8 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

It's a good position, but I would want that guy with the ball as much as possible based on that video.  There were Messi-like moments in there.

He will have the ball a ton from that spot. He's in the mold of Jordi Alba. Alba used to average 6-8 assists/year and a couple goals. Or look at Liverpool and how they employ their FBs. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Robertson had double digit assists EACH.

Considering the playmakers we already have in the MF with the likes of McKennie/Adams/Pulisic/Gio and potentially Musah, having fullbacks that can play 2 ways like that is a dream. That we will likely have one on each side given what Cannon/Robinson and hopefully Reynolds have shown is amazing.

Don't worry, you'll see him with the ball A LOT.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Perfect time for Musah.  USMNT is on the verge of that big break through and there are still seats on the bus.  In 2 years that window may close and you may be a back-up on some crapppy England team while the US is making a deep WC run.

Hyperbole alert.  Players like Sterling, Kane, TAA, Henderson, Vardy, etc. will still be on the team in 2 years.  

As promising as our young team is, there's a lot of talent on the Three Lions.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Hyperbole alert.  Players like Sterling, Kane, TAA, Henderson, Vardy, etc. will still be on the team in 2 years.  

Didn't their youth team u20 maybe, also win the WC recently? They feel like a team on the ascent, while already ranked highly. 

But that goes towards the same point- Musah has less likelihood of featuring on that team as he does for the US. And as the US just showed him hopefully, they're a quality side too that he can play a big role in boosting to elite status for years to come.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

He will have the ball a ton from that spot. He's in the mold of Jordi Alba. Alba used to average 6-8 assists/year and a couple goals. Or look at Liverpool and how they employ their FBs. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Robertson had double digit assists EACH.

Considering the playmakers we already have in the MF with the likes of McKennie/Adams/Pulisic/Gio and potentially Musah, having fullbacks that can play 2 ways like that is a dream. That we will likely have one on each side given what Cannon/Robinson and hopefully Reynolds have shown is amazing.

Don't worry, you'll see him with the ball A LOT.

Everything you say is true and he's going to be huge EV at the outside back position.   He's just starting to do things with the ball better and more frequently that you don't see as often from our other players.

16 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

There may be a seat left for you here...https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:England_team_bus,_Guideline_Coaches_London_(FA10_ENG)_2010_Scania_K400EB_Irizar_PB,_London,_8_June_2011.jpg

2 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

England are more loaded at the younger age group than I can ever remember.  

Lets use 22 as the upper age limit since that is Pulisic's age.   All these English players are 22 and under

Reece James, Bellingham, Sancho, Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Rice, Tomori, Foden, Alexander Arnold

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

England are more loaded at the younger age group than I can ever remember.  

Lets use 22 as the upper age limit since that is Pulisic's age.   All these English players are 22 and under

Reece James, Bellingham, Sancho, Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Rice, Tomori, Foden, Alexander Arnold

And that's without the players in their prime I mentioned above and doesn't include their other youngish stars like AWB, Grealish, Maddison and Rashford.  

I'm really excited about what we are building, and think we can be a top 10 team by 2026, but England is already ranked #4 and has enough young talent to be #1 by 2026.  

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I would take us over England in '22 and '26

26, maybe.  No chance in 22. 

They have elite level strikers in Kane and Sterling not to mention the likes of Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Abraham.  They have similar talent across the board as us plus many more so depth for days.  And, most importantly, these guys all play together regularly, some of them in very similar systems let alone the same teams.

A lot can change in just a few years so '26 isn't out of the question that we move forward significantly and/or they step back, but I don't see it in 1 1/2 years time. 

The ONLY thing England has against them is their uncanny ability to underperform consistently on the international stage despite their level of talent.

I would argue that, talent-wise, only France is ahead of them right now.  I mean, Brazil is Brazil, but I don't see names that pop like they have in years past.  And Belgium is taking a step back, IMO, with most of their stars on the older side and not as many filling in to replace them.  They truly had a golden age but are on the downslope at this point.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I would argue that, talent-wise, only France is ahead of them right now.  I mean, Brazil is Brazil, but I don't see names that pop like they have in years past.  And Belgium is taking a step back, IMO, with most of their stars on the older side and not as many filling in to replace them.  They truly had a golden age but are on the downslope at this point.

Belgium is a really interesting team.  They truly now have the feel of a golden generation(as you said) instead of sustaining the talent level.

Ironically, their golden generation all stemmed from Belgium changing up how they were developing players and a large group of talent burst forth all at once but that level has not been sustained.

Belgium are the reason I am not ready to go all in on this being the tip of the ice berg for the US and not just a golden generation.