Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

I don't think in have ever seen this before in terms of how he drew this yellow card.  He was clearly being an absolute tool and it was good to see American coach Matarazzo sub him immediately and let him know his displeasure, but I still don't know what rule he broke.  I guess maybe a general "unsportsmanlike conduct..."

https://twitter.com/TaistoFCB/status/1335622247537586178?s=20

Seeing as it intersects with many American player development tracks, I had one more thought about our discussion about England yesterday.

For the vast majority of history, English national team players were developed in their early pro years almost exclusively by English clubs (with only minor exceptions).

But now you can find arguably England's 3 top teenagers all developing in Germany as early pro's in Sancho, Bellingham and Musiala.

I think this development diversity is going to help England going forward.

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Uly and Richie both involved in the crazy ending to the game

https://twitter.com/FutureUsmnt/status/1335641512609198081?s=20

Nice on both parts.

Eta...both assists...the one that should have been, and the one that was.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:42 AM, NewlyRetired said:

I know this is not US related but seeing as Mexico is the US's main rival I think this is worth posting here.

Awful news as Raul Jimenez suffered a fractured skull in the game against Arsenal yesterday.  He had to have surgery last night.  While it is far too early to know if or when he will come back, people have posted that this similar injury has caused retirement before.

Just catching up on this thread but this was a nasty collision.  I’ve always really enjoyed watching him play - horrible for him and Wolves :( 

• Sad 2

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

With Boavista's 0-0 draw today, Reggie Cannon has been part of a backline that has not conceded a goal in 303 straight minutes. Cannon also ranks 1st on the team in interceptions, 1st in blocked shots, and 2nd in tackles. Not surprising that bigger clubs have their eyes on him.

• Love 2

Curious what you guys think:

Hypothetical player that has dual nationality. Let's say something like France and US. Player has no chance to really play for France (would make the roster, though) but would start for US. Assume France is a heavy favorite to win upcoming World Cup (as much as can be favored).

Would most players rather be on a winning World Cup team roster despite not playing or to have starting minutes for another national team that has a very small chance to win it all at the international level?

• Thinking 1

27 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Hypothetical player that has dual nationality. Let's say something like France and US. Player has no chance to really play for France (would make the roster, though) but would start for US. Assume France is a heavy favorite to win upcoming World Cup (as much as can be favored).

Would most players rather be on a winning World Cup team roster despite not playing or to have starting minutes for another national team that has a very small chance to win it all at the international level?

I'd definitely say the later.  Would I rather play for the Colts or slap Tom Brady on the ###?  Forget that one as it might be too difficult to decide.  Would you rather play for the Colts or be Bill's scout team QB.

14 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I'd consider more lucky than nice unless you mean nice luck.

What.

He luckily wins the header. He luckily made the decisive and smart run into diagonal space immediately after. He luckily hit his first touch into a dangerous spot pulling defenders back and across. He luckily put the ball back across the box perfectly into the path of two on-rushing teammates. He luckily made the defender make a last ditch attempt to deal with the ball, which still got scored by his team mate. Yes. That's a lot of luck. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

The last thing we need is another RB

==========

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Lille coach Christophe Galtier on playing Weah (20) at RB “Why not? He can be very helpful in this role. He brings speed, width and quality. The most important thing is that I accept that in this position there may be imperfections. I want him to put his skills to the test.”

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, gianmarco said:

If I'm making the roster, I go with France.  In WCs, even the best teams end up using the most of full roster (sans backup keepers).  Anything below that and I'd probably go with the US (it would also depend on my club situation).  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The last thing we need is another RB

==========

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Lille coach Christophe Galtier on playing Weah (20) at RB “Why not? He can be very helpful in this role. He brings speed, width and quality. The most important thing is that I accept that in this position there may be imperfections. I want him to put his skills to the test.”

It's not that surprising, the thing that separates width players (outside backs) from today's top wingers is scoring ability and ability to attack the box, and frankly he hasn't really shown that a sustained level at the club level.  This is also why Dest won't end up more advanced.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

If I'm making the roster, I go with France.  In WCs, even the best teams end up using the most of full roster (sans backup keepers).  Anything below that and I'd probably go with the US (it would also depend on my club situation). 

Only kicker would be the sponsorship and club salary $$.  Need to evaluate getting scrub minutes on a World Cup winning squad vs. the massive US marketing push that being a "face" for the USMNT could bring.  Not sure  where that balance lives.

22 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Seeing as it intersects with many American player development tracks, I had one more thought about our discussion about England yesterday.

For the vast majority of history, English national team players were developed in their early pro years almost exclusively by English clubs (with only minor exceptions).

But now you can find arguably England's 3 top teenagers all developing in Germany as early pro's in Sancho, Bellingham and Musiala.

I think this development diversity is going to help England going forward.

England's "problem" (and ours as well) going forward isn't the front seven, but the middle of defense.  They won't win tournaments until they get that sorted out.  

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

England's "problem" (and ours as well) going forward isn't the front seven, but the middle of defense.  They won't win tournaments until they get that sorted out.  

We need McKenzie to be who we think he could be. I can't wait to see where he ends up (Celtic still seems to be the favorite). I wish he'd go to a lesser team in a better league, though.

Some CB discussion

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

We need McKenzie to be who we think he could be. I can't wait to see where he ends up (Celtic still seems to be the favorite). I wish he'd go to a lesser team in a better league, though.

Some CB discussion

Anthony Joseph

@AnthonyRJoseph

Philadelphia Union sporting director Ernst Tanner has told @SkySportsNews that Celtic face stiff competition from the Premier League and Bundesliga for centre-back Mark McKenzie.  We understand that Celtic are looking for another centre-back in January and McKenzie, 21, is high up on their list of targets again. Tanner admits the USA international is "ready to go" but the Hoops will have to battle it out with clubs across Europe if they want to sign him.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I am far from an expert but from what I can tell the ELS roster for Wednesday looks pretty close to a first choice line up.  This could be a close match as ELS had originally qualified for the Hex before Concacaf changed the format.

Not only did ELS qualify for the Hex, they also had done well in nations league play going 5-0-1 which gets them promoted to League A for the next run of Nations League.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

46 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

barcaçentré

@barcecentre

Sources close to Koeman confirm that Umtiti and Lenglet will start today in the game against Juventus. Barca B youngster Konrad could also make his way into the starting XI in place of Coutinho.

Do we know if swag and dest starting?

oh hell yes.  The US has to do this for 2026.   The travel would suck but adding themselves to the huge amount of WCQing games in South America would be tremendous preparation for WC 2026.

===========================

EXCLUSIVE: Qatar to be involved in a Uefa qualifying group to ready themselves for 2022. One of the five-team groups to balance out, with Ireland's seen as most likely

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

oh hell yes.  The US has to do this for 2026.   The travel would suck but adding themselves to the huge amount of WCQing games in South America would be tremendous preparation for WC 2026.

===========================

EXCLUSIVE: Qatar to be involved in a Uefa qualifying group to ready themselves for 2022. One of the five-team groups to balance out, with Ireland's seen as most likely

That’s crazy since they’re also participating in AFC qualifying and are topping their group.  That’s a lot of travel