Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

10 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Is this the most significant match in Yanks Abroad history?  Has to be right?

hmm, the stakes seem not that high to me.  Both teams have already qualified for the knock out round and it would take a GD turn around of 7 goals before Juve would pass Barca for first.

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Dest starting against McKennie. Konrad on the bench.

Both Pulisic and Adams on their respective benches.

Very happy about Pulisic.  Given they are playing a guy wearing number 55 today, I think this bodes well for a start for Pulisic this weekend.

I am bummed about Adams.  Hopefully he will get his normal UCL second half run today.  Can't complain about the decision with the dream start up already 2-0.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Barca played that like they don't have any CBs. Oh....right.

Sad for dest to be part of this sinking ship....hopefully they turn things around and he gets more time with Messi. 

the big concern is whether the new coach (which is inevitable if things don't turn around quickly) has any interest in Dest as a player.

23 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I would like to take my credit now for Weston's improved play.  Ever since I added him to my avatar, he has been balling better than I could have ever hoped for. Please send any tributes to my pay pal account.

I think he broke both twitter and reddit simultaneously :)

If you want a new profile pic....

https://twitter.com/squawkanews/status/1336410845581090818?s=10

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Barca played that like they don't have any CBs. Oh....right.

Sad for dest to be part of this sinking ship....hopefully they turn things around and he gets more time with Messi. 

That #7 loser drew the double team.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Looks like #8 (Ramsey?) smacked him in the face. Was he mad that Swag stole the cross meant for him?

no, that is a very "Italian" like expression of happiness/"good job".  It's typically more of a pat on the cheek but I am sure the adrenaline of the situation added to it.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Is this the most significant match in Yanks Abroad history?  Has to be right?

As mentioned, not in significance of the match itself, but ignoring Dest vs. McKennie, you also have each of them partnering up and playing against Messi/Ronaldo.  In the Champions League.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I meant, how did he play?

He was ok.  Barca was a heaving mess.  They made 5 subs and Dest played the whole 90. 

Messi's heart does not appear to be with the team after the non stop transfer drama in the off season and Griezman looks so friggan ordinary at times.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure Andy posted this already, but the Cadiz coach tweeted this after their win.

Álvaro Cervera (Cádiz coach): "When they subbed out Dest for Trincao, we were relieved. He was the only player doing some danger through the wing. We were able to take advantage of them playing so narrow, everyone stayed central." 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

How did I go from wondering when Pomykal was going to replace Weston in the Nats lineup to now wondering if Weston has forced himself through quality of his play to be a regular starter for Juventus in like 15 months?

Any word on his recovery? 

Nice to think he'll be coming back to provide some quality depth or hopefully challenge for a spot.

CHICAGO (Dec. 8, 2020) – U.S. Soccer has confirmed that a player on the El Salvador National Team has tested positive for COVID-19.

The player is in isolation and observing the appropriate quarantine protocols. His positive test came during U.S. Soccer’s arrival testing procedures. All of his pre-arrival tests were negative.

No other members of the delegation have tested positive at this time. As per protocol, he was not in high-risk contact with any other players or staff prior to, or following, his arrival.

The match will proceed as scheduled.

48 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Weah will start tomorrow for Lille in Europa play (Lille have already advanced so this is a chance for the coach to experiment)

So last week the coach stated they are easing him back in because of the injury...  but as soon as a game doesn't matter, he's starting...  

Not sure those reasons mesh very well...  

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

So last week the coach stated they are easing him back in because of the injury...  but as soon as a game doesn't matter, he's starting...  

Not sure those reasons mesh very well...  

He's actually subbed in the last 2 games, IIRC.

22 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

This is correct.  

The injury excuse the coach gave for not playing does not seem to add up for me.  He has been available as a sub since late summer.  He has subbed 10 times already in the months leading up till now.  There has never been one word of a relapse or missing training or anything indicating a set back.

Lets just hope he can play well tomorrow and go from there.

27 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Right...

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

This is correct.  

The injury excuse the coach gave for not playing does not seem to add up for me.  He has been available as a sub since late summer.  He has subbed 10 times already in the months leading up till now.  There has never been one word of a relapse or missing training or anything indicating a set back.

Lets just hope he can play well tomorrow and go from there.

So...  like I said, him starting basically means the coach was not being truthful in the injury statements last week...

• Like 1

with the eclectic group of young players in camp, I have zero idea who is going to start tonight.  I figure Aaronson is a lock to start but outside of him, there seem to be many ways GGG could go.  The CB's should be interesting to see who starts, it may give an indication as to whom GGG is looking at to partner Brooks.

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

with the eclectic group of young players in camp, I have zero idea who is going to start tonight.  I figure Aaronson is a lock to start but outside of him, there seem to be many ways GGG could go.  The CB's should be interesting to see who starts, it may give an indication as to whom GGG is looking at to partner Brooks.

Lletget and Soto likely.

• Like 1

Holy hell this is young.  I googled him and he is considered the top US prospect in his age group.

===============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

I am hearing grumblings that #RBNY might be making a move to sign very young, 2006-born central midfielder, Bento Estrela to a homegrown deal. Deal is not complete yet.

• Like 1