Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

Chris Mueller is the first player with two goals in his #USMNT debut since...uh...Sebastian Soto 23 days ago.

Last guy to do it before that was Peter Millar in 1968

Giocchini, 23 days ago.

Paul Carr with the hard hitting news :)

=======

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

The #USMNT has played 715 games. Tonight is the first game in which the USMNT started four players whose last names started with the letter A. Aaronson Akinola Araujo Arriola #ImportantJournalism

================

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

Brenden Aaronson has supplanted Kellyn Acosta as the #USMNT goalscorer whose last name comes first alphabetically

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Paul Carr with the hard hitting news :)

#ImportantJournalism

================

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

Brenden Aaronson has supplanted Kellyn Acosta as the #USMNT goalscorer whose last name comes first alphabetically

They both breathe the same. 🤔

12 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Does anyone know the quality of this ELS squad? Any players from MLS or LigaMX or South American clubs?

It was originally their A side but some of the players let their visa's expire and could not travel according to the broadcasters.

The team is the 6th ranked team in Concacaf right now (ahead of teams like Panama, Canada and T&T)

The vast majority of the team plays in ELS.  I think one player plays in the USL.

That being said, I would almost ignore this game entirely.  ELS had no interest in playing this game and looks to have had no preparation.  A WCQier in ELS will likely be a night and day change from this game.  I would still expect the US to win handily at home though even in a qualifier.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

More of the same for the Chelsea #10.

‘Christian Pulisic had a tiny bit of awareness off the back of the Leeds game with one of his hamstrings but he’s training normally so we should be as we were,' Lampard went on. 'Christian is still a work in progress. I don’t want to call this an injury in midweek because if it had been a different type of game then I might have used him.

‘We know his abilities and he showed them when he came on against Leeds last week. I just have to find the right way to get the best out of him quickly and consistently.’

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Taylor Twellman

@TaylorTwellman

From what I’m gathering in and around Europe...Sargent may not long for Bremen. Many are calling including English clubs

Would they really sell him in the January window? Seems unlikely given how he's playing and how close they were to relegation last year.  They're only 4 point clear at the moment and I can't imagine Josh would bring that big of a fee.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Would they really sell him in the January window? Seems unlikely given how he's playing and how close they were to relegation last year.  They're only 4 point clear at the moment and I can't imagine Josh would bring that big of a fee.

The article I read from BILD that started this discussion, indicates that Bremen do not have the money needed to resign Josh right now and don't want to lose him for nothing as they are cashed strapped (like too many teams thanks to Covid).  The article said his contract is not up until 2022, so Bremen is going to look to sell him possibly next summer.  The article speculated in the 9 million Euro's range.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 1

42 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Christian Pulisic had a tiny bit of awareness off the back of the Leeds game with one of his hamstrings

what does the English term"awareness of hamstring" mean?  Did he tweak it, or was it sore after the game, something like that?? 

I had been expecting a start this weekend but now I am unsure...

9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

He's only on loan at Juve.  If Pogba wants to come back and there's no room for Weston, then there will be plenty of callers for his services elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

He's only on loan at Juve.  If Pogba wants to come back and there's no room for Weston, then there will be plenty of callers for his services elsewhere.

Is it weird to say I'm not sure many teams, including Juve, would prefer Pogba over Weston?  

Pogba is world class when he GAF, but he seems to be playing like he DGAF.  Weston gives his all every second on the pitch, and is younger/cheaper.  

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Is it weird to say I'm not sure many teams, including Juve, would prefer Pogba over Weston?  

Pogba is world class when he GAF, but he seems to be playing like he DGAF.  Weston gives his all every second on the pitch, and is younger/cheaper.  

I think Juve will welcome back Pogba with open arms IF they can get him for a cut rate price.  There is no way Man United get out of this mess with out taking a huge loss on the player and Juve likely know that.

Pogba is a complete pain in the butt player to manage but his time at Juve was not overly problematic if memory serves.

16 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Maybe he'll finally be good enough for Southampton.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The article I read from BILD that started this discussion, indicates that Bremen do not have the money needed to resign Josh right now and don't want to lose him for nothing as they are cashed strapped (like too many teams thanks to Covid).  The article said his contract is not up until 2022, so Bremen is going to look to sell him possibly next summer.  The article speculated in the 9 million Euro's range.

Did the Euro crash recently?

49 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:
1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Christian Pulisic had a tiny bit of awareness off the back of the Leeds game with one of his hamstrings

what does the English term"awareness of hamstring" mean?  Did he tweak it, or was it sore after the game, something like that?? 

I think saying he had "a tiny bit of awareness ... with one of his hamstrings" is a wonderfully British way of saying he tweaked his hammy.

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I think saying he had "a tiny bit of awareness ... with one of his hamstrings" is a wonderfully British way of saying he tweaked his hammy.

####

I really wanted him to come out of that game feeling good.  I assumed it happened on the all out sprint he made for his goal at the end.

2 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

So apparently there were "racist and xenophobic words heard and seen" during last night's broadcast.

I wasn't paying super close attention, but I guess I missed it. Did anyone else pick it up?

I was just reading that as well.  I did not hear/see it myself though. 

How does one "see" words?  Did some idiot actually hold up a racist sign?

3 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

So apparently there were "racist and xenophobic words heard and seen" during last night's broadcast.

I wasn't paying super close attention, but I guess I missed it. Did anyone else pick it up?

I'm sure that some of that is par for the course and some seems impossible.

3 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

I heard bits and pieces of fans talking early on in the broadcast (before the first goal).  I heard someone laughing about something related to BLM and then something about guys from El Salvador.  

wow this is a sad but great read.  It helps me understand why Gio is so much more mature for his age than others.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/giovanni-reyna-usmnt-borussia-dortmund-soccer

This was a good read.  Quoting partly just to help it not get lost in the fray after last night's game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

wow this is a sad but great read.  It helps me understand why Gio is so much more mature for his age than others.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/giovanni-reyna-usmnt-borussia-dortmund-soccer

This was a good read.  Quoting partly just to help it not get lost in the fray after last night's game

"Sad" and "gio" and I already have a pretty good sense of what that's about. :(

I actually did watch the last 20 mins or so of the game on my phone last night...not much to see at that point other than some Mueller hacking and game control by the US. ELS looked unusually dispassionate then and in the clips I've seen (thanks again, andy).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

I actually did watch the last 20 mins or so of the game on my phone last night...not much to see at that point other than some Mueller hacking and game control by the US. ELS looked unusually dispassionate then and in the clips I've seen (thanks again, andy).

Yeah, second half was really boring.  Tons of subs, ELS played 5 at the back to stop the onslaught and as usually happens when you are up by 6 goals, the energy drained from the game. 

I think you would have enjoyed the first half as the US players were flying.

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I only caught the first half, and in the first minute or so, it looked like they were going to slow the pace and use their experience to their advantage, but after the first 2 goals they probably mostly gave up.  I was blinded by the sheer glee of seeing our young players scoring basically at will, but after the game, reality set back in, and this morning I woke up thinking we should have beaten the brakes off of them for giving up, especially since they reverted back their CONCACAF ways before the first half ended.

• Like 1

He was still on the bench and available on Tuesday which Lampard wouldn't have done if Pulisic had tweaked it, so I'm guessing he just felt sore after the game.

• Like 1

As much as I detest Qatar hosting the WC I can't help but be impressed as to how the Qatari team is preparing for it.

They are now in Group A (Portugal's group) for WCQing (the Qatar results don't factor into the standings)

They are playing in Copa America next summer

They are playing in the Gold Cup next summer.

That is a fantastically diverse group of competitive games.

I can only hope the US does something similar for the run up to 2026.

Just finished watching the game...  a few thoughts.....

For a B(or even really a C+) side, we played very well.  I've been critical of GGG before, but this is the second team and with a whole new roster, that looked to play very well together as a team so I gotta give him props on that.  Very well done.  

Mueller looked spectacular.  He's taken a bit of a different path than a lot of the younger guys, but wow what a debut.  He's gonna force himself onto the qualifying team with performances like that.

Also thought that Aaronson, Yueill, Long, Nips, and McKenzie showed that they all deserve a spot, at least as a backup, in the top 23.  Akinola did well too, but likely needs to have a few more decent performances to force his way in.  I wish we'd have seen Dike.

What was up with ELS.  I was actually hoping for a chippy, CONCACAFy game, since a bunch of these young guys will have never experienced them.  We know that technically, in a clean game, we can beat anyone in CONCACAF easily outside of Mexico and CR.  So I personally was disappointed that ELS didn't give these kids a true experience to help get them ready for some wet and bumpy nights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, encaitar said:

He was still on the bench and available on Tuesday which Lampard wouldn't have done if Pulisic had tweaked it, so I'm guessing he just felt sore after the game.

I think we can literally take the words at face value.   FWIW, I've been through too many hamstring issues to count. There's always that point in recovery where you just know something's going on back there and keep thinking about it.  No pain, but there's something.... It lingers but eventually goes away. 

assuming you don't reinjure it again

:scared: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, encaitar said:

What was up with ELS.  I was actually hoping for a chippy, CONCACAFy game, since a bunch of these young guys will have never experienced them.  We know that technically, in a clean game, we can beat anyone in CONCACAF easily outside of Mexico and CR.  So I personally was disappointed that ELS didn't give these kids a true experience to help get them ready for some wet and bumpy nights.

It was the most passive I have ever seen a Central American team play even given a meaningless friendly. 

I mentioned during the game last night that GGG should just burn this tape and never show it to any players moving forward.  It was as unConcacaffy a game as could be.

• Like 2

😢

==========================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Very bad news for #USMNT attacking midfielder Richard Ledezma who was stretchered off the field for PSV in the 18th minute. I'm hesitant to speculate but it doesn't look good. His knee appeared to be in a lot of pain and it didn't appear as if there was any contact

• Sad 3

53 minutes ago, encaitar said:

For a B(or even really a C+) side, we played very well. 

I think C-C+ side sounds about right.  Even for just a domestic side, we were still missing a ton of players.

Dike, Morris, Zardes, Reynolds, Turner etc

Even in just the small group I named above, that is probably 4 starters on a domestic side.

56 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Mueller looked spectacular.  He's taken a bit of a different path than a lot of the younger guys, but wow what a debut.  He's gonna force himself onto the qualifying team with performances like that.

GGG is very likely going to have to answer the following age old conundrum:

Is is better to roster players like Morris/Mueller who are performing at a high level in a smaller league or is it better to roster players like Weah/Uly who are not playing much at all in better leagues.......?

• Like 2