Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

22 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

MLS Buzz

@MLS_Buzz

According to ⁦@3rdDegreeNet, the three official bids for FC Dallas’ Bryan Reynolds are from Italy, Belgium, and France.

Sources: AC Milan is one of the (very many) teams chasing FC Dallas fullback Bryan Reynolds. Reynolds, 19, gathering huge interest from Europe despite just 15 career MLS starts so far with Dallas.

• Like 1

I know we focus on younger players in this thread but we should probably acknowledge the season 27 year old John Brooks is having.

He has played every single minute of the Bundesliga season so far.  He has been a mainstay in 1 of only 4 teams across the Big 5 Euro leagues to not lose a game this season, and they currently sit in 4th in the Bundesliga.

Wolfsburgh has given up the 3rd least goals in the Bundesliga and the two teams who have given up less have played 1 less game.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I thought McKennie's goal was a little overrated given how much space he had, but it was still good enough that you'd expect it to hold up in the 'Young American Goal of the Week' Competition.  But, Reyna had other ideas I guess.  That's a super super finish.

good to see you post!  I had not seen you for a while and assumed you left for good.  Hope you stick around and add to thread.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

12th update

Combined G/A/Pk's drawn:

Sargent: 4

Reyna: 10

Pulisic: 3

I like this!  I bet Goals + True Assists + PKs drawn / 90 minutes as a % of a team's overall total would be a great way to measure a player's actual scoring strength without getting into the advanced camera-driven position-in-space stuff.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

good to see you post!  I had not seen you for a while and assumed you left for good.  Hope you stick around and add to thread.  

Ongoing difference of opinion with management about whether or not unserious posts deserve to be treated seriously.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I like this!  I bet Goals + True Assists + PKs drawn / 90 minutes as a % of a team's overall total would be a great way to measure a player's actual scoring strength without getting into the advanced camera-driven position-in-space stuff.

before the season started, we had everyone in the thread do a prediction for these 3 players just to see what our expectations were with these stats.

Reyna is running a little ahead of the average prediction.  Sargent is running a little behind the average prediction.  Pulisic is running way behind predictions (due to his missing so many games with the hamstring).

:heart:

I mean how much more can we expect?  He is pretty much the #1 teenage offensive player in the world right now. 

God please let this project upwards in the coming years..................

================

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

Gio Reyna's stats compared to all teenagers in Top 5 Leagues:

Goals - T-2nd (3) [Leader - Ansu Fati (4)]

Assists - 1st (5)

Dribbles Completed - 2nd (21) [Leader - Adil Aouchiche (22)]

Fouls Drawn - 1st (28)

Edited by NewlyRetired

That goal by Reyna... 

The recognition and burst into space with the run. Yes.

The first touch with the left at a full sprint perfectly in front of him. God yes.

The right somehow getting into the ball immediately as it comes down while still on a full sprint, somehow re-timing the left/right steps so he can get that right foot onto it...and then the sublime finish. Hell yes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, El Floppo said:

That goal by Reyna... 

The first touch with the left at a full sprint perfectly in front of him. God yes.

The right somehow getting into the ball immediately as it comes down while still on a full sprint, somehow re-timing the left/right steps so he can get that right foot onto it...and then the sublime finish. Hell yes.

I have watched it 20 times.

I still can't get over how easy he made it look.    The goal keeper did not even budge an inch which shows you how totally unexpected it was to create a goal scoring shot out of that play.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have watched it 20 times.

I still can't get over how easy he made it look.    The goal keeper did not even budge an inch which shows you how totally unexpected it was to create a goal scoring shot out of that play.

It's a ridiculously difficult goal...incredible how easy it looked for him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

That goal by Reyna... 

Dude's just now 18.  If he stays healthy he's going to be a monster.

Was telling my wife this AM (who is like WTF are you telling me this?!), that no matter what level they've been brought in at US players immediately exceed it lately.  Even Cannon is being looked at by bigger clubs after being in Portugal for only a couple months. 

The apparently feeding frenzy around Bryan Reynolds (AC Milan?!) suggests Euro teams are catching on now.  And it's largely down to Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie and Adams paving the way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

:heart:

I mean how much more can we expect?  He is pretty much the #1 teenage offensive player in the world right now. 

God please let this project upwards in the coming years..................

as for the last line here, I have to keep repeating to myself that he may not progress.

I look at his teammate Sancho.  He was arguably a top 15-20ish level player in the world last year.  This season he has transformed himself into Darlington Nagbe in the offensive 3rd, nothing seems to be working for him.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Dude's just now 18.  If he stays healthy he's going to be a monster.

Was telling my wife this AM (who is like WTF are you telling me this?!), that no matter what level they've been brought in at US players immediately exceed it lately.  Even Cannon is being looked at by bigger clubs after being in Portugal for only a couple months. 

The apparently feeding frenzy around Bryan Reynolds (AC Milan?!) suggests Euro teams are catching on now.  And it's largely down to Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie and Adams paving the way.

The Bryan Reyolds rumors started with Juventus too.

Think about this for a second:   Dallas sells their RB Cannon, who is performing fantastic so far in Europe.   Then Dallas just takes the next guy from the academy, plugs him into RB and in less than a season, has a ton of Euro teams interested in him.

This is what we always hoped for in our development and slowly but surely, we are getting there.

I also can't help but wonder how unbelievably stupid the people who were telling others here there are zero players in MLS who can play in Europe.   I can only hope the ignorance slowly fades away as we continue to place a few players into Europe every year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

With every new angle I see, I find even more to appreciate.  This angle shows how truely sublime that first touch was for Gio

https://twitter.com/AmericanOutlaws/status/1337820832144515072?s=20

Good Lord.

You brought him up, and I did just talk about him...but yeah- zidanesque, the whole thing.

53 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I also can't help but wonder how unbelievably stupid the people who were telling others here there are zero players in MLS who can play in Europe.   I can only hope the ignorance slowly fades away as we continue to place a few players into Europe every year.

It should've been obvious for a few years now.  Ever since Swag and Adams followed CP to Germany and all three saw resounding success the top brass in Europe have clearly changed their stance on the young talent in MLS.  I think that what will really shut down that argument once and for all is when guys like Zimmerman or Long(i.e. stars in their mid 20s) get stolen by European squads.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, encaitar said:

It should've been obvious for a few years now.  Ever since Swag and Adams followed CP to Germany and all three saw resounding success the top brass in Europe have clearly changed their stance on the young talent in MLS.  I think that what will really shut down that argument once and for all is when guys like Zimmerman or Long(i.e. stars in their mid 20s) get stolen by European squads.  

Even Morris, who was very reluctant to leave early in his career, said this week he was open to leaving after this year in Seattle.

And its not just American's either from MLS.  Miggy, Alphonso Davies, Angelino (:wub:) and plenty of others are showing they can step right in and contribute at a good level.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I still kind of wonder what Reyna's ultimate position is.

I have no idea on this question.   His role changes week to week at Dortmund.  Some times on the right, some times on the left, sometimes in the middle.

I am sure as he changes coaches/teammates/formations his role will continue to change and evolve over the years.

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic does not even dress today :(

I have to assume the hamstring has flared up again :(

I am getting that sick feeling in my tummy that I am never going to see the full US team play together.....I have been waiting for years to see the young kids play together and some one is always hurt :(

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic does not even dress today :(

I have to assume the hamstring has flared up again :(

Damn.  This is getting really concerning.  Not just for US fans, but if he can't keep on the field at Chelsea it's not going to be long before they find his replacement.  Doesn't matter how good a guy is if he can't stay healthy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, encaitar said:

Damn.  This is getting really concerning.  Not just for US fans, but if he can't keep on the field at Chelsea it's not going to be long before they find his replacement.  Doesn't matter how good a guy is if he can't stay healthy.

agreed.

I mentioned earlier that Chelsea is having a whale of time with hamstrings injuries.  Pulisic's two most obvious replacements in Zeyich and Odoi both also did not dress today due to hamstring issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

It's been a broken record for me, but the academies are the difference. We finally have young kids who can not only play, but understand how to be professionals. We've always had the former, with this or that guy going over...but it wasn't as consistent and the players always took time to adapt and learn how to do things. These kids are stepping in and immediately stepping up.

This batch of kids is the vanguard- first group to come up through the academies from the giddy up. It should and will be obvious to europe that they'll be getting somewhat finished products at 18 (with lots of room to learn and grow) for decent prices.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Horvath tested positive for covid.  No symptoms

So at least he has an excuse for not starting.

Watching Chelsea. For all the talent on the field, they just don't look like they have any direction...especially creatively out of the midfield. It's all really easy for Everton.

So at least he has an excuse for not starting.

Watching Chelsea. For all the talent on the field, they just don't look like they have any direction...especially creatively out of the midfield. It's all really easy for Everton.

It's what happens when you play everyone out of position.  Havertz is a midfielder who was forced to play winger.  Werner is a striker who was forced to play winger.  Like I said, if Christian can't get healthy, then he'll soon find a new signing for his spot, because it makes no sense for Chelsea to have invested so much in these players only to play them in a place where they aren't comfortable.

• Like 2

.Watching Chelsea. For all the talent on the field, they just don't look like they have any direction...especially creatively out of the midfield. It's all really easy for Everton.

Havertz has not had the effect I expected him to after the move to Chelsea.  Ziyech, when healthy, has been fantastic in his first year.

Since I root for the back of the shirt and not the front, I have no problems watching Chelsea struggle when Pulisic can't play.

you know it's never too early to admit the organization was wrong and rehire Eva :)

===============================

Chelsea FC

@ChelseaFC

On missing wingers today, Lampard says we did but Pulisic had to be left out due to his hamstring discomfort. He says there are muscle injuries across the Premier League and mentions again the topic of five substitutes being allowed.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

for all our friends in this thread who are returning from their FFA red card suspensions and are trying to figure out who this Reynolds kid is that keep popping up, this video was posted a couple of weeks ago that gives a quick glimpse of his skill set.

https://twitter.com/USMNTvideos/status/1333448616225239040?s=20

🙁

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

you know its never to early to admit the organization was wrong and rehire Eva :)

===============================

Chelsea FC

@ChelseaFC

On missing wingers today, Lampard says we did but Pulisic had to be left out due to his hamstring discomfort. He says there are muscle injuries across the Premier League and mentions again the topic of five substitutes being allowed.

I love Eva.   I'd watch Chelsea just to catch glimpses of her on the sideline.

15 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Bitter sweet tonight as I think "Mapfre/Crew Stadium/Dos A Cero" will be hosting its last game ever.  The new stadium is expected to be finished before next season.

Lots of good USMNT memories from that stadium.

I was there for the soon to be annual Dos a Cero ahead of the 2002 WC, and spoke to Sunil Gulati afterwards.  Including about Cherundolo being the RB for the next decade if Bruce had his way.  What a night.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Nice!!! 

So you were kind of leaning my way last year wondering whether Weston had what it took to become an above average pro.  What do you think of his development?

Did you come off of a ban too today?

He played two of his best games for the US in the friendly. Obviously the goal against Barca was sick. He also seems to have beaten the tendency to run out of gas. 

Ironically, fir someone who played all over as a kid, I kind of thinks he needs to play a pretty specific role in a three man midfield with other guys who cover ground so he can pop all over. Not sure how he fits if we play Gio as a 20, for instance. 

• Like 1

What's a 20?

ETA:  I think maybe a typo for "10" now that I look at it.  But with RHE, you can never be sure soccer tactics haven't evolved to some cutting edge place you just don't know about.

ETA2:  See, with the ball it's a 4-3-2-1 but he drops onto the right wing on defense as an 11 in a 4-3-3.  9+11 = 20.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1