Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 
 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

     Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

                        Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 

No Zizou?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • NewlyRetired

    17791

  • El Floppo

    7746

  • Ramsay Hunt Experience

    2535

  • Ned

    2099

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

55 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 
 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

     Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

                        Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 

French gonna French

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Alternatively, I know he doesn't make many of these lists and I'm assuming it's because of longevity, but I'm not sure I've ever seen highlights of a more skilled/"wow" player than Ronaldinho. It's a shame he doesn't get more love among all time greats.

Jaw-dropping stuff

 

Career lengths and attitudes matter.  Randy Moss was the most gifted WR I’ve ever seen, but I’d never put him over Jerry Rice on an all time list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Alternatively, I know he doesn't make many of these lists and I'm assuming it's because of longevity, but I'm not sure I've ever seen highlights of a more skilled/"wow" player than Ronaldinho. It's a shame he doesn't get more love among all time greats.

Jaw-dropping stuff

 

He falls out of my top 10 just for that horrendous Eurythmics remix. 

  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 
 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

     Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

                        Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 

Wrong thread unless you have Dest, Pulisic, Reyna, and Zardes listed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

**** it, let’s make Pele a wingback. 

He'd probably be pretty good.  What are gonna sit fat Ronaldo, CR7, or Messi? 

Pele could dominate from that spot, just like Maradona on the opposite side.  Honestly though, I'm not sure anyone besides Xavi would pass the ball once past the midfield stripe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 
 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

     Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

                        Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 

I love Xavi, and he would get that group purring, but I’d rather have Zidane.

interesting to see Matthaus...the best pure two way box to box guys I’ve ever seen ( he was with Inter when I lived in Milan...could nutMeg a guy with ease one second and then break his leg on a clean tackle the next)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

He'd probably be pretty good.  What are gonna sit fat Ronaldo, CR7,  or Messi?

Yes?  I mean, if they want to be clear they don’t care about positions, fine. 
 

But if you’re going to designate positions and pretend this is an actual formation, then you don’t play four forwards, an attacking mid, a box to box mid and an advanced regista. 
 

It’s supposed to be hard. Great players are supposed to be left out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Apropos of nothing, before I got my first timeout, my All-Time Soccer judging entry fir Ziziu was going to be an extended “Was he better than Cavi and Iniesta?” Post. Provocative. 

That would be interesting to read. Zidane is really in that next tier after the typical goat convo for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Yes?  I mean, if they want to be clear they don’t care about positions, fine. 
 

But if you’re going to designate positions and pretend this is an actual formation, then you don’t play four forwards, an attacking mid, a box to box mid and an advanced regista. 
 

It’s supposed to be hard. Great players are supposed to be left out. 

So unless you have a US player in the lineup, why is this in the USMNT thread?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Yanks in action today, hopefully.

We might see the Pulisic return at 1:00pm as Chelsea play Wolves, where Owen often makes the bench but never gets in.

At 2:30pm, Gio takes on Sargent in Dortmund's first game sans Favre, which is obviously going to be interesting to see how much of a role Gio gets under the interim coach.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Some Yanks in action today, hopefully.

We might see the Pulisic return at 1:00pm as Chelsea play Wolves, where Owen often makes the bench but never gets in.

At 2:30pm, Gio takes on Sargent in Dortmund's first game sans Favre, which is obviously going to be interesting to see how much of a role Gio gets under the interim coach.

Thought Owen looked interesting in his limited minutes for the US. Covers a lot of ground quickly, good anticipation and size, seems to have a good sense of the game even if we didn't really get to see a full range of skills on the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I was being fecetious to a degree...I think most would agree they are not as good when he doesn't play.

I can't wait to see Chelsea play a few games with both Pulisic and Ziyech on opposite wings.  Both have been hurt far too often this year.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic just had an explosive sprint.  the kind that would hurt a bad hamstring and he looks fine.

I just had an explosive ####. I’m not exactly sure how I could injure my hamstring from thatI just had an explosive ####. I’m not exactly sure how I could injure my hamstring from that

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
15 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

That would be interesting to read. Zidane is really in that next tier after the typical goat convo for me.

My thesis is that is that no game has been more instrumental to player’s legacy than the 2006 WC quarterfinal against Brazil. 

I was wondering where you went, in the middle of the judging no less.

In terms of his legacy, its bold to put that game above the final.  Isn't there a statue somewhere commemorating the head-butt?

For my personal experience with Zidane, I'd have to consider the 1998 final against Brazil. A massive performance, leading the underdog home team at the Stade de France against Fenomeno and the heavily favored Brazilians.  That was his coming out party at least, but probably the reference point for how I most remember him as a player.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I was wondering where you went, in the middle of the judging no less.

In terms of his legacy, its bold to put that game above the final.  Isn't there a statue somewhere commemorating the head-butt?

For my personal experience with Zidane, I'd have to consider the 1998 final against Brazil. A massive performance, leading the underdog home team at the Stade de France against Fenomeno and the heavily favored Brazilians.  That was his coming out party at least, but probably the reference point for how I most remember him as a player.

 

I agree the loss of composure in the final outshines it in the public consciousness, but Zidane was absolutely massive in that game vs Brazil in 2006. A one man wrecking crew.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...