Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team


Recommended Posts

This loss in on Lampard.  Pulisic was running Wolves ragged until he got moved to the right, where he did nothing and Werner was a unmitigated disaster on the left.

Wolves have looked great since Owen got on the field.  He should see more minutes based on this performance.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

If for what ever reason Musah does not work out for the US, I think seeing if a Weston/Owen midfield partnership will be viable should be very interesting in the coming years.

Was just thinking the same thing...  but also that we could have additional depth when Musah commits.  

16 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Swag and Swole. 

This.  This I like.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of good signs for Reyna under the new coach.

Not only did Reyna play a very solid game, he went the full 90 in a tight 2-1 win, where Dortmund used 4 subs.

Sargent had his typical game of "run your balls off" for 65 minutes and do very little when facing the goal with the ball.

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I watch Reyna in the 4-2-3-1 the more I think this is a formation GGG may want to consider, especially against teams who are going to bunker (which is going to happen in at least half of the Ocho games).

Something like:

............................Steffen

...Dest..........Long.............Brooks............Robinson

..............................Adams.........Weston

....Morris................................Reyna...........................Pulisic

....................................X

Lots of choices for the X spots in this formation but none that stands out.  Zardes just running the channels might be good enough and scoring the odd goal off his shin might be enough.

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

For my personal experience with Zidane, I'd have to consider the 1998 final against Brazil. A massive performance, leading the underdog home team at the Stade de France against Fenomeno and the heavily favored Brazilians.  That was his coming out party at least, but probably the reference point for how I most remember him as a player.

Me too.  I was pretty new to soccer at that point and both he and, especially, Thuram made a monster impression in the 98 tournament.

As did the scoreline in the Final.  Remember being stunned at Brazil getting hammered.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The more I watch Reyna in the 4-2-3-1 the more I think this is a formation GGG may want to consider, especially against teams who are going to bunker (which is going to happen in at least half of the Ocho games).

Something like:

............................Steffen

...Dest..........Long.............Brooks............Robinson

..............................Adams.........Weston

....X................................Reyna...........................Pulisic

.................................X

Lots of choices for the two X spots in this formation.  Musah would probably function fine here but I would prefer one of our attacking wingers start to pop.

I love this formation and setup.  I feel like we have options at the two X positions, but nothing set in stone.  Today I'd pick Musah and Sargent.  But arguments could be made for others...  and competition for spots is always a good thing... 

I also feel like we're starting to see some depth, players like Owen and a lot of the MLS guys could slide into the lineup pretty easily.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I love this formation and setup.  I feel like we have options at the two X positions, but nothing set in stone.  Today I'd pick Musah and Sargent.  But arguments could be made for others...  and competition for spots is always a good thing... 

I also feel like we're starting to see some depth, players like Owen and a lot of the MLS guys could slide into the lineup pretty easily.  

I edited my post.  I think Morris actually fits one of the X's in this formation the best at this moment in time, but that could change quickly*

 

*speaking of this, some people on twitter have been posting their 2022 projections from a couple of years ago and they are a riot.  Players like Dest, Gio, Musah, Robinson, Cannon were not on anyone's radar.  Players like Josh Perez, Emmy Hyndman, Yedlin, Carleton(!!!), Wood were being projected as starters in 2022.

Safe to say, things move quickly in this sport.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I edited my post.  I think Morris actually fits one of the X's in this formation the best at this moment in time, but that could change quickly*

 

I like Morris too...you know what you are getting with him.   He's never going to have the most class, but I like his consistency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

 

I like Morris too...you know what you are getting with him.   He's never going to have the most class, but I like his consistency.

yeah, at 26 he is likely the finished product now.  It should be good enough for most of the hex but I would absolutely love one of the kids (Uly, Weah etc) to make him into a clear sub level player so that we could afford to move Reyna more centrally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

GAM 2.0

Funny you should mention him. 

I have been watching a ton of old WCQier highlights and watching EJ play made me wonder how good he could have been if he came up in today's system instead of the black hole development he started in.  

He would look good at the striker spot right now.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

This loss in on Lampard.  Pulisic was running Wolves ragged until he got moved to the right, where he did nothing and Werner was a unmitigated disaster on the left.

Wolves have looked great since Owen got on the field.  He should see more minutes based on this performance.

I kept expecting them to switch back, especially after the first few wasted efforts by Werner, given how well Pulisic, Chillwell, and Mount played through the left side in the first half.  Then the switch never came.  I feel like it was Lampard attempting to get Werner involved and believing that Pulisic would stay involved on either side, but it should've been apparent it didn't work after about 15 minutes.  I really think this, more than anything else today, cost them a point, if not all 3.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, encaitar said:

I kept expecting them to switch back, especially after the first few wasted efforts by Werner, given how well Pulisic, Chillwell, and Mount played through the left side in the first half.  Then the switch never came.  I feel like it was Lampard attempting to get Werner involved and believing that Pulisic would stay involved on either side, but it should've been apparent it didn't work after about 15 minutes.  I really think this, more than anything else today, cost them a point, if not all 3.

Ironically they switch back at about the 91st minute and Pulisic immediately drew a yellow card when dribbling by a player.

Pulisic appears to attack more naturally on the left.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To say it again though, today showed me how important it is for Pulisic to find a good run of health.  This Chelsea team doesn't work against low blocks without a couple of creative wingers.  If you have Ziyech pinging miraculous passes in from one side and Pulisic making the defense look like their wearing skates on the other and wow is that a dangerous side that can beat anyone.

When you have a striker(Werner) trying to fill in instead it's just milquetoast.  Chelsea had about 10 half chances today and 8 of them came from Pulisic either creating or forcing a corner in the first half.  It's clear how important a creative presence at winger is for Lampard's system to work.  If Ziyech and Pulisic can't stay healthy, then Chelsea is going to have to find another guy this winter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Ironically they switch back at about the 91st minute and Pulisic immediately drew a yellow card when dribbling by a player.

Pulisic appears to attack more naturally on the left.

I was actually shocked at how long that took.  Pulisic was fouled at least 10 times in the game and almost all of them were "stopping the attack" type fouls.  Most teams are allowed to do this 2 or 3 times on a single player before getting warned and then given yellows for continuing after.  It was pretty sad that it took the ref until stoppage time to punish Wolves for their repetitive fouling on Christian.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Woke up to the news that Lille are in massive financial trouble.  

All French clubs were hurting because of Covid but it sounds like everything took a serious turn for the worse when the leagues TV contract de-solved due to the league not meeting the tv contracts amount of games needed for payment.

The article made the Lille situation look even more dire than Schalke's, and that if they don't fix things quickly, the team could go under.

Normally this would mean a huge amount of selling of players but I don't know if or how it will effect Weah.  They spent a decent amount to buy him but they have diminished his value a lot by rarely playing him.

  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, encaitar said:

I kept expecting them to switch back, especially after the first few wasted efforts by Werner, given how well Pulisic, Chillwell, and Mount played through the left side in the first half.  Then the switch never came.  I feel like it was Lampard attempting to get Werner involved and believing that Pulisic would stay involved on either side, but it should've been apparent it didn't work after about 15 minutes.  I really think this, more than anything else today, cost them a point, if not all 3.

I couldn't believe how bad Werner was on the left and James was on the right.  It also wasn't clear to me how Mount, Kova, and Kante were setup as both Mount and Kova looked to prefer the left which left the right side just barren with attacking support.  I know Giroud has been producing goals, but if they are going to play both of them together they both have to be more central in something closer to a 4-2-2-2.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anyone ask Lampard about the switch in the press conference?  I would love to know the thought process.  It seems like everyone recognized what Pulisic was doing on the left.  Here is what Paul Scholes said at half time

=============

"But this lad, Pulisic, he looks the closest thing I’ve seen to Eden Hazard. ‘He’s got a little turn of pace, his centre of gravity is low, he can weave past people and he’s creative. And that left-hand side has really been a problem for Wolves."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy comparing and contrasting Reyna and Pulisic.  I watched both closely yesterday while focused on dribbling. 

Pulisic has by far the better first step of the two, as he can reach his top speed much quicker than Reyna can.  Pulisic is also a quicker dribbler in terms of maneuvering the ball with short quick touches.

Reyna's huge advantage is in his strength and balance.  Yesterday Gio made two very long runs with the ball, and on each occasion he shed tacklers trying to foul him.  Those hacks almost always stop Pulisic in his tracks since if you get a decent hit on Pulisic, he tends to go down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

In better news, Weston starts again for Juve today.

Here is the formation

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpX0bScXYAQHOuh?format=jpg&name=medium

What's great is that like at schalke, they're moving him around as needed to keep him in the 11. They don't seem to want to bench him, even with all that talent there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Woke up to the news that Lille are in massive financial trouble.  

All French clubs were hurting because of Covid but it sounds like everything took a serious turn for the worse when the leagues TV contract de-solved due to the league not meeting the tv contracts amount of games needed for payment.

The article made the Lille situation look even more dire than Schalke's, and that if they don't fix things quickly, the team could go under.

Normally this would mean a huge amount of selling of players but I don't know if or how it will effect Weah.  They spent a decent amount to buy him but they have diminished his value a lot by rarely playing him.

If all French clubs are in trouble, then I question the validity of this article.

Lyon joins the chase for Bryan Reynolds

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

What's great is that like at schalke, they're moving him around as needed to keep him in the 11. They don't seem to want to bench him, even with all that talent there!

I think mostly he has played on the right side of midfield.  Sometimes it is 4 man mid field and sometimes a 3 man midfield.  

One thing I have noticed tactically is that he seems to have freedom to attack the box at will.  I noticed many times in the last game that he was getting deeper in the box than Ronaldo was.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think mostly he has played on the right side of midfield.  Sometimes it is 4 man mid field and sometimes a 3 man midfield.  

One thing I have noticed tactically is that he seems to have freedom to attack the box at will.  I noticed many times in the last game that he was getting deeper in the box than Ronaldo was.

 

Good info, thanks.

I never looked at the lineups...just where I end up seeing him- which has been all over the field. So I assumed they were moving him around, but more likely as you say, fluidity within the tactics/lineup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think mostly he has played on the right side of midfield.  Sometimes it is 4 man mid field and sometimes a 3 man midfield.  

One thing I have noticed tactically is that he seems to have freedom to attack the box at will.  I noticed many times in the last game that he was getting deeper in the box than Ronaldo was.

 

Good info, thanks.

I never looked at the lineups...just where I end up seeing him- which has been all over the field. So I assumed they were moving him around, but more likely as you say, fluidity within the tactics/lineup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Sweet goal by Weah today.  I hope his production can start leading to more consistent time.

https://streamable.com/rx2w5z

He just needs to play and stay healthy.  Could fill a huge void for us.   Was starting to wish he'd get a transfer to MLS, maybe it'll still work out.

Edited by TripItUp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

He just needs to play and stay healthy.  Could fill a huge void for us.   Was starting to wish he'd get a transfer to MLS, maybe it'll still work out.

He is doing what is not easy and that is being productive in limited minutes.

I believe this is 2 goals and an assist in the last 3 games.

This is all that can be asked of a player in this situation and now is up to the coach to reward the production.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I dont think anyone doubts Weah's potential to be at least a rotation guy for the USMNT. He's just at the age where he needs to play and produce. If this was 6-8 years ago, he might get in the team anyway (ala, Julien Green getting into a WC elimination match) . But now  there are guys his age and younger starting nearly every week in top 5 leagues.  Even if he's slightly more naturally gifted than someone like Sargent, the gap isn't enough to make up for a lack of game experience/sharpness.

Edited by TLEF316
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Good info, thanks.

I never looked at the lineups...just where I end up seeing him- which has been all over the field. So I assumed they were moving him around, but more likely as you say, fluidity within the tactics/lineup.

here is a tweet on the topic

===============================

USMNT Brain

@UsmntB

The reason why Weston Mckennie seems to get better by the week is because he has one role. At Schalke he was asked to do so many different things. With Juventus he has one role so therefore, he can work to improve himself in that role.

 

Bob Morocco

@bob_morocco

Yes and that one role is a RM shuttler who takes a higher position in buildup, moves high and somewhat inside in attack (so he can get in the box and counterpress for CR in transition)

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...