Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • NewlyRetired

    17757

  • El Floppo

    7741

  • Ramsay Hunt Experience

    2535

  • Ned

    2099

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1339319005363003392?s=10
 

Dominik Szoboszlai transferring from RB Salzburg to RB Leipzig.  That could open up a slot in the Salzburg lineup for Brenden Aaronson

Nice!! It was first rumored a little while ago, nice to see it go through! :)

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/708312-us-mens-national-team/?do=findComment&comment=23131637

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yunus with a game tying goal in injury time in the Copa Del Rey (they ended up winning 4-2 AET) against minnow Terrassa

https://twitter.com/AubieAnderson/status/1339305827144896512?s=20

The Spanish Football Podcast

@tsf_podcast

Terrassa are VERY MUCH part-timers, their squad include...An Amazon delivery driver, three teachers, a guy that works in a sports shop and a dentist! They've just taken Valencia to extra time and were seconds away from knocking out the (still) reigning champions!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That Weah goal was nice. Great aggression to close the ball down and force that amateurish howler from the defender. He looks genuinely explosive with his movement and space coverage. Of course also a really nice finish.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop with the platitudes and play the lad

=======

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Lille manager Christophe Galtier on Tim Weah's first Ligue 1 goal for the club: "Timothy is coming out of a tough season and he doesn't have a lot of playing time. He works a lot, he is very respectful of choices.  He puts determination in the sessions, he shows himself when he comes home, like against Prague But also against Celtic with one goal, and one more tonight. We all know his potential, we see it in every practice."

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

charlie kennan

@charlie_kennan

Daryl Dike has reported interest from Club Brugge (1st in the Belgian League) now in the UEL. Prior to entering the 2019 MLS Super Draft, he reportedly already had EU interest. Bryan Reynolds is also on Brugges shortlist.

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

charlie kennan

@charlie_kennan

Daryl Dike has reported interest from Club Brugge (1st in the Belgian League) now in the UEL. Prior to entering the 2019 MLS Super Draft, he reportedly already had EU interest. Bryan Reynolds is also on Brugges shortlist.

My only problem with Brugge is they have a striker from Nigeria, Emmanuel Dennis.  Granted Horvath is there, but we don't need other Nigerian players recruiting him. 

(Remember his sister, brother, and cousin have already played for Nigeria, and he is eligible for both the US and Nigeria.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow is this kid generating interest.  if that bid from Roma is correct, that would be fabulous for a kid with half a season of pro experience

========

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

FC Dallas have received a bid from AS Roma of $9.2m/€7.5m for Bryan Reynolds, sources tells http://MLSsoccer.com. Marseille are also in the mix, I'm told. http://MLSsoccer.com and others have previously reported interest from AC Milan, Juventus and others

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

barcacentre

@barcacentre

Barcelona are very attentive to Gianluca Busio, Sporting Kansas City's 18-year-old midfielder. The club have excellent reports on him and have held informal contacts with both his club and entourage. For now, no offer has been submitted

I wish I had an entourage at 18.  Hell I wish I had one now.  (Not really, but still...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a clip of GGG on the Jim Rome show.  It is funny to think Rome played the ignorant soccer basher's high messiah for god knows how many years before giving up the act.

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Video/The-Jim-Rome-Show-Gregg-Berhalter-thinks-this-could-be-the-golde-10113926/

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was not really the answer I was looking for, although the Hakim tidbit is interesting.  I was more interested in why he did not switch back when it was clear it was not working.  His note about Hakim tells me we can be assured of Pulisic on the left when they all get healthy

=======

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

Frank Lampard on Pulisic changing positions "My decision. I have players who can play on both sides. Not all, like Hakim on the right, but Timo and Christian can play left and right.  It can give the opposition a problem. I like to have the option to change it at times."

Link to post
Share on other sites

 here is how GGG (coach), Tim Ream (captain) and Jeff Kassouf (media rep) voted on behalf of the USA in the FIFA best player award

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/men-s-player.pdf?cloudid=zipdoy8d77nk8rxgnayp

Not sure how Kassouf got chosen.  I can think of at least ten more widely read and known US national writers that focus on soccer but that was probably not the criteria.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

This was not really the answer I was looking for, although the Hakim tidbit is interesting.  I was more interested in why he did not switch back when it was clear it was not working.  His note about Hakim tells me we can be assured of Pulisic on the left when they all get healthy

=======

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

Frank Lampard on Pulisic changing positions "My decision. I have players who can play on both sides. Not all, like Hakim on the right, but Timo and Christian can play left and right.  It can give the opposition a problem. I like to have the option to change it at times."

I'm just :shuked: why they don't just plopped Werner in the middle when Giroud goes off.  I understand sliding Werner out wide when you start if you want to start your best 11 with Giroud.  But they have to figure out a way to get Werner more central and the like for like sub of Tammy for Giroud isn't the solution.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

 here is how GGG (coach), Tim Ream (captain) and Jeff Kassouf (media rep) voted on behalf of the USA in the FIFA best player award

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/men-s-player.pdf?cloudid=zipdoy8d77nk8rxgnayp

Not sure how Kassouf got chosen.  I can think of at least ten more widely read and known US national writers that focus on soccer but that was probably not the criteria.

Sergio Ramos made GGG's top 3? Time for a new coach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

I'm just :shuked: why they don't just plopped Werner in the middle when Giroud goes off.  I understand sliding Werner out wide when you start if you want to start your best 11 with Giroud.  But they have to figure out a way to get Werner more central and the like for like sub of Tammy for Giroud isn't the solution.  

I think (but not sure) that Lampard feels restricted because Hakim and Odoi are both hurt and he needs Werner on the wing.

Like you, I think Werner belongs in the middle and while wing is far from Mount's best position, he absolutely can do no worse than Werner did out there.  Mount should be able to provide the cover until players get healthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

speaking of being shuked, I just don't get this.  I am in no way saying he sucks or anything but I am completely missing something in his game that would make teams of this caliber interested

=====================

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

Spanish outlet Sport ES reporting that in addition to Barcelona, Sporting KC midfielder Gianluca Busio has received interest from Bayern Munich and several "big clubs" from Serie A and the Premier League.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that the wheel keeps turning.

15 year old Felipe Valencia was the youngest goal scorer in USL history.  Today he has signed a home grown contract with Inter Miami and becomes the first player from their academy to make the senior roster.

It has happened extraordinarily quickly as he first went for a try out for the academy back in 2019.

With in two years he went from hoping to get in the academy as a 13 year old, to the main roster.

I mentioned a while back that I felt that Miami is going to play a very important part in US Soccer's future as there are so many young players with South American blood down there, it should open up a whole new pool of talent that no one has uncovered yet.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I love that the wheel keeps turning.

15 year old Felipe Valencia was the youngest goal scorer in USL history.  Today he has signed a home grown contract with Inter Miami and becomes the first player from their academy to make the senior roster.

It has happened extraordinarily quickly as he first went for a try out for the academy back in 2019.

With in two years he went from hoping to get in the academy as a 13 year old, to the main roster.

I mentioned a while back that I felt that Miami is going to play a very important part in US Soccer's future as there are so many young players with South American blood down there, it should open up a whole new pool of talent that no one has uncovered yet.

 

 

What's absolutely fascinating to me at this point is that a certain subset of MLS teams (in general) have made the calculus that they should be selling 18-21 year old Americans and buying from Latin America-Africa.  It looks like NYCFC is taking the Ring GAM from Austin and buying 20-yr Santiago Rodriguez from Uruguay and I think we know what Atlanta and LAFC have historically done (even NYCFC has Medina before that).  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

What's absolutely fascinating to me at this point is that a certain subset of MLS teams (in general) have made the calculus that they should be selling 18-21 year old Americans and buying from Latin America-Africa.  It looks like NYCFC is taking the Ring GAM from Austin and buying 20-yr Santiago Rodriguez from Uruguay and I think we know what Atlanta and LAFC have historically done (even NYCFC has Medina before that).  

it’s great business - I know the general consensus from Joe Eurosnob is that MLS isn’t as good as the Premier League, ergo it sucks.  But the logical next phase of MLS instead is basically to become the North American Eredivisie, with 20 Ajax-like clubs pumping out academy products to Europe.

Some clubs are there (FCD, maybe Philly), others are getting there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reyna may have just had the worst game of his pro career and was the focal point on one of Union Berlin's goal.  He even has teammates calling him out.

This is definitely a big moment in his career to see how he handles his first taste of negativity.

===========================

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Mats Hummels criticized Gio Reyna’s lack of defensive awareness on the first goal today, noting that [Reyna] “has to stay with his man” and needs to show “that he wants to win above all.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Dest starting against Musah. Konrad on the bench again. Looks like he's now on the first team regularly.

So many injuries ahead of him. He's been sniffing around for sure, but without those injuries, he'd still be sniffing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I hate how invested I am in Musah already.

I literally turned the TV on to watch him play and at that exact moment they showed him walking to the sideline and said, "Musah looks like he won't be able to continue."

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I hate how invested I am in Musah already.

I am working hard to not go all in. 

Given the time of year, I remember using this same tactic when I was a kid and looking forward to a specific Christmas gift but not getting too invested in case it was not under the tree.

:)

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Sargent has had a few chances today to score, more than usual and he has not been clinical.  Everyone admires all the other stuff he does but at the end of the day a striker has to tuck in his chances.

Exactly.  This is why I'm not convinced Pulisic--Reyna--Morris isn't a better option.  Reyna in the middle isn't ideal either, but we know he can score.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...