Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

4 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Pulisic is starting for Chelsea against Man City today. It looks like a front three of CP, Werner and Ziyech. 

And it looks like Pulisic on the left and Ziyech on the right.

Finally.

• Replies 53.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

ESPN is reporting that Tanner Tessman will be training with Bayern.  I don't know if it is a trial but I think it is something similar that happened when Richards went over in the winter to train and eventually got signed by Bayern.

16 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I watched second half of Dortmund Wolfsburg game.

Gio was super quiet in the half, only a few touches.

Brooks looked very solid.  Played well against Haaland.

Gio looks like he needs a break to me.

Brooks was excellent all game except one spot where he was isolated 1v1 on Haaland.  Haaland almost ate him alive but the GK saved it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Chelsea looks awful.

they appear to have that dreaded coach sacking look of being less than the sum of their parts.  There is so much talent all over this field.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ned said:

Brooks was excellent all game except one spot where he was isolated 1v1 on Haaland.  Haaland almost ate him alive but the GK saved it.

was that the play that the keeper made the excellent one handed save with his right hand in the second half?  If so that was not Brooks on that play I don't think.  It was the other CB who looks similar to Brooks.  

If it was a play in the first half, ignore what I just said :)

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic with a poor half IMO.

The whole team struggled again but usually he stands out above the mess.  But he is not today in the first half.

He had a few giveaways but was still the only Chelsea player who created some danger in attack.  Kind of dumb yellow card during the Lexus stoppage time that could lead to a second half substitution.  

Highlight of the half for me was Arlo White’s comment - “City’s movement is mesmeric.”

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

He had a few giveaways but was still the only Chelsea player who created some danger in attack.  Kind of dumb yellow card during the Lexus stoppage time that could lead to a second half substitution.  

Highlight of the half for me was Arlo White’s comment - “City’s movement is mesmeric.”

Was a pretty weak yellow card for overextending, especially considering Puli has been kicked like that at least 3 times this game already.  Not to mention no yellow on Rodri for kicking Kova in the chest.

20 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Was a pretty weak yellow card for overextending, especially considering Puli has been kicked like that at least 3 times this game already.  Not to mention no yellow on Rodri for kicking Kova in the chest.

It was just an excuse to say “Lexus stoppage time.” 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2
54 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

was that the play that the keeper made the excellent one handed save with his right hand in the second half?  If so that was not Brooks on that play I don't think.  It was the other CB who looks similar to Brooks.  

If it was a play in the first half, ignore what I just said :)

Yeah it was first half. Haaland semi turned Brooks inside out and got a shot that went through Brooks legs and foot saved by the keeper. 

• Like 1

I figure Lampard's rope has to be mighty short right now, which may not be the best thing for Pulisic because Lampard has given him plenty of playing time.

The BBC announcers today were suggesting that even though Lampard likes Pulisic and that Pulisic has been play relatively well, that Lampard might have to make some changes just to see if he can find the right mix.  They also said similar comments about Mount.

To me it is Werner that is the wink link right now.  IMO he should see the bench for a few games to see how that shakes things up.  

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

:goodposting:

I heard that, and had to think about it for a second before I understood what he was saying.  I guess I had never heard "mesmeric" out loud before.

• Like 1

Dest (eta, my autocorrect HATES Dest) just got subbed out in the 75th or so after starting.

Another off game from him, and his confidence looks shaky on the ball (as well as his teams confidence in getting him the ball...Barca and Messi seemed planted in attacking down the left with Dembele). Dest would either make the quick easy pass back or square when in the attacking third- all safe and fine, but nothing dangerous- or try a dribble and lose it. Also noticed him not busting his ### to get back after these plays...not sure if that's by design and tactical or just him lolly-gagging.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Im in the 16th of the MC v Chel game. Glad that Steffen backpass mistake didn't hurt him.

Oof...easy-weezy goal by MC there.

:oldunsure:

• Like 1

60th minute and Chel players look like they've given up.

For the money and collection of players out there...absolutely shambolic.

• Thanks 1

Michael Bailey

@michaeljbailey

I’m getting questions re @Sebastian9Soto so thought I’d clarify how I believe it stands.

Norwich would like to recall him this month

Only happens if his GBE can be sorted in time to loan him out in England (#NCFC preference)

7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I figure Lampard's rope has to be mighty short right now, which may not be the best thing for Pulisic because Lampard has given him plenty of playing time.

The BBC announcers today were suggesting that even though Lampard likes Pulisic and that Pulisic has been play relatively well, that Lampard might have to make some changes just to see if he can find the right mix.  They also said similar comments about Mount.

To me it is Werner that is the wink link right now.  IMO he should see the bench for a few games to see how that shakes things up.  

It starts in the MF with the Jorginho, Kante, Mount, Kova foursome and then the fact the RB provides only token offensive support which is hardly ever effective.  None of MF have the requisite offensive skills to provide support as the 4th attacker, be it runs or making a line breaking pass.  The fact Havertz hasn't been on form is the biggest issue (though I sort of question if Lamps doesn't think of him as the 5th option).  One of the MF in the 3 has to be more offensive and they just aren't.  

6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Dest (eta, my autocorrect HATES Dest) just got subbed out in the 75th or so after starting.

Another off game from him, and his confidence looks shaky on the ball (as well as his teams confidence in getting him the ball...Barca and Messi seemed planted in attacking down the left with Dembele). Dest would either make the quick easy pass back or square when in the attacking third- all safe and fine, but nothing dangerous- or try a dribble and lose it. Also noticed him not busting his ### to get back after these plays...not sure if that's by design and tactical or just him lolly-gagging.

I thought it was interesting too that they put a CB on for Dest today. I will note that Barcelona's system has always shied away from having the fullbacks dribble past defenders.

You're right that they really seemed to run through to Dembele today (he looked good). Part of that is that they also had Pedri on the left. Need to get Dembele and Fati out there at the same time so things are more balanced.

At least De Jong showed a bit today :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:
8 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

It starts in the MF with the Jorginho, Kante, Mount, Kova foursome and then the fact the RB provides only token offensive support which is hardly ever effective.  None of MF have the requisite offensive skills to provide support as the 4th attacker, be it runs or making a line breaking pass.  The fact Havertz hasn't been on form is the biggest issue (though I sort of question if Lamps doesn't think of him as the 5th option).  One of the MF in the 3 has to be more offensive and they just aren't

I think Werner looked great at the beginning of the season when the team was set up to play him through into space, primarily in the middle or making diagonal runs. He hasn't looked comfortable at all with his back to goal in the middle third or playing on the wings. I don't know what he played in Germany, but my gut says he and Giroud paired together would help. Let Giroud win and hold those balls with back to goal and let Werner making the runs off him. 

Of course 2 forwards will ripple backwards in ways I'm not sure how to fix, considering how porous the MF has been- especially on the counter. CP left, Ziyech or Odoi right. Two of Mount, Havertz, Kante, Kova and Jorg in the middle. Or switch to a 3 man back line with an extra holding MF in the middle. 

What little I read about Chelsea is that critics seem pretty universally happy with CPs play...same as us. So as far as I'm concerned, build around CP...but keep him on the left. When Odoi came on, thought he provided instant spark on the right...but for some reason switched over to the left pushing CP into yet more wasted inconsequential minutes on the right.

And really wish Steffen could've kept the clean sheet unless it was CP scoring. He wasn't really at fault on the goal...but I don't even remember if he had to make a single save before pulling the ball out of the net at the death there.

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

And really wish Steffen could've kept the clean sheet unless it was CP scoring. He wasn't really at fault on the goal...but I don't even remember if he had to make a single save before pulling the ball out of the net at the death there.

I thought the same thing, but it was Pulisic who put Kai through with a beautiful pass that Havetz then pinged over to CHO(really think he was going for Werner, but Timo was jogging again).  Really a wonderful play and what you'd expect to see consistently from a team with Chelsea's attacking talent.  

I'm just glad Steffen got his first EPL win under his belt though.  Even though he looked nervous at the start and had the brain fart, it should still help his confidence level.  I wonder how soon Ederson will be cleared.  I'd love to see Steffen get a chance against an in form top team like ManU in the league cup semi on Wednesday.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Brain fart by Steffen - picked up a back pass in hand, but no harm as the free kick was blocked. 

8 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Can't blame Steffen for that.  That was as close as he came to having to save a shot all day sans Lexus stoppage time.

Kind of bummed.  Used to be all kinds of highlights in here of our guys dominating.  Most of the Yanks are playing meh at best outside of Yedlin but that belongs in another thread.

23 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Wrong thread. This is the USMNT thread. 

34 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Kind of bummed.  Used to be all kinds of highlights in here of our guys dominating.  Most of the Yanks are playing meh at best outside of Yedlin but that belongs in another thread.

Can someone explain to me why we're taking shots at Yedlin?  He's still a part of the USMNT player pool and is an injury away from being on the squad and possibly a starter.  

I don't understand what he has done to deserve this type of treatment.  He's probably been passed over by better and younger players, but I can't recall him having any negative comments about the USMNT.  

Most of us have wanted competition for spots on the USMNT for years.  Yedlin is a good example of the competition we want.  He's been surpassed by the younger players, but he's still a regular contributor on a EPL team and right now is having a good run of form.  Let's just be happy for him and the fact that he will keep pushing Dest/Cannon so they will continue to need improvement to keep their spots.

7 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Can someone explain to me why we're taking shots at Yedlin?  He's still a part of the USMNT player pool and is an injury away from being on the squad and possibly a starter.  

I don't understand what he has done to deserve this type of treatment.  He's probably been passed over by better and younger players, but I can't recall him having any negative comments about the USMNT.  

Most of us have wanted competition for spots on the USMNT for years.  Yedlin is a good example of the competition we want.  He's been surpassed by the younger players, but he's still a regular contributor on a EPL team and right now is having a good run of form.  Let's just be happy for him and the fact that he will keep pushing Dest/Cannon so they will continue to need improvement to keep their spots.

It's a joke.  We are always focused on the new flavor of the day and getting younger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

He's the worst player ever.

I think its kinda *fun* to make of fun of him and zardes because of their clear difference in skills compared to the newer generation. Both have ceilings that haven't and aren't going to push the US forward in any meaningful way, but both also have floors that aren't going to hurt the US either. They're both quality pros who have done solid work for the team and yeah- if it came to it, I'd have no major concerns seeing either of them playing or even starting (other than it meaning better RBs having gotten hurt) .

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

It's a joke.  We are always focused on the new flavor of the day and getting younger.

I get that.  I just don't find it funny I guess.  He was one of my favorite players not long ago and I highly respected his move to the EPL a few years back when others were willing to stay in the MLS.  

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

He's the worst player ever.

I think its kinda *fun* to make of fun of him and zardes because of their clear difference in skills compared to the newer generation. Both have ceilings that haven't and aren't going to push the US forward in any meaningful way, but both also have floors that aren't going to hurt the US either. They're both quality pros who have done solid work for the team and yeah- if it came to it, I'd have no major concerns seeing either of them playing or even starting (other than it meaning better RBs having gotten hurt) .

Wow, I would never compare him to Zardes.  Yedlin has had a much better club career, granted most of it is because of his speed and not his technical skill.  

I'm just happy Yedlin has seemed to improve his defensive skills and is having a good run of form.  Shows even at his age that he's still improving and willing to work hard, despite being benched much of this season.  

32 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Wow, I would never compare him to Zardes.  Yedlin has had a much better club career, granted most of it is because of his speed and not his technical skill.  

I'm just happy Yedlin has seemed to improve his defensive skills and is having a good run of form.  Shows even at his age that he's still improving and willing to work hard, despite being benched much of this season.  

Bingo.

I feel like Yedlin improved his defensive tactical ability a while ago. I also feel that his lack of consistent skills (he certainly has skills...zardes too) is ultimately what keeps him off the field the way the position has changed the last few years. But he's doing well in this stretch, which is great.

Yedlins played in the bigger league, but Zardes has had an impressive club career winning trophies and scoring goals. Not sure I'd say one has had a better club career than the other.

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Bingo.

I feel like Yedlin improved his defensive tactical ability a while ago. I also feel that his lack of consistent skills (he certainly has skills...zardes too) is ultimately what keeps him off the field the way the position has changed the last few years. But he's doing well in this stretch, which is great.

Yedlins played in the bigger league, but Zardes has had an impressive club career winning trophies and scoring goals. Not sure I'd say one has had a better club career than the other.

Didn't Yedlin win a trophies at Seattle w/ Deuce?  In 2014?  (Good grief that was a long time ago...)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Didn't Yedlin win a trophies at Seattle w/ Deuce?  In 2014?  (Good grief that was a long time ago...)

Yes, US Open Cup and Supporters Shield double in 2014, if memory serves.

56 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

I dont know who the hell Leon Flach is, but yowza, what a strike.

I was laughing yesterday when I saw this thinking that it was ironic that a guy I had never heard of before was scoring the best US goal in a while.

After looking him up, I learned he is a dual nat.  He was born in Texas and then move to Germany as a child. He has played a couple of times for the German U18 team and a couple of times for the US U20 team.  He is 19 and will be turning 20 soon.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Keep watching Weston.  IMO he is playing the best and most consistent soccer of all the big US names ( with Adams very close behind).

• Like 3

Re: Yedlin

Since I started paying attention to the USMNT ~08/09, Yedlin was the first flat-out burner I saw, but like it's been noted already, that was about all he had, and since the consensus seems to be that if you're over 23 and not tearing it up that your ship has sailed, he seems to be getting written off. The one thing I know I've been consistent about regarding the USMNT is our need for speed, of thought as well as foot speed.  I guess that with Yedlin, his speed of thought, however we gauge that, isn't where we think it needs to be, but this also to me is representative of the evolution of U.S. born/eligible soccer players; the group that's headed up by Swag, Pulisic, Adams, etc. seem to be further along in that respect than players of Yedlin's age, and the players who are just a couple years younger than them seem even more ready for the big stage than the guys just 1-3 years older. This isn't a swipe at Yedlin; if anything it's proof that our players are developing faster than before, or that we just have a special generation popping up right before our eyes, and I think for that very reason, Yedlin needs to remain part of the roster as he represents the very 'American' qualities we want to see our players exhibit: grit, hard work, determination.  No matter how much talent we put on the field, we are probably always going to be a red-headed stepchild on the international stage and are going to be treated as such. A player like Yedlin, who has had to work hard and maintain his focus while enduring criticism, is a testimony to not taking things for granted and not giving up. I'll be honest and say that I am disappointed that he hasn't become a key player for his club the way younger players have, but I do appreciate his perseverance and am glad he's seeing some fruit for his labor, and I hope GGG sees that he has qualities the USMNT still needs.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

and I hope GGG sees that he has qualities the USMNT still needs.

I agree with everything you wrote but wanted to specifically focus on this part.

GGG has many times said he wants veterans on the roster for important games.  Yedlin is the exact kind of guy he should be focusing on for this role, more than the Ream's or Bradley imo.

He is not old at 27 and is still in his prime, he has been to a WC, knows about the Concacaf away wars and knows failure first hand in not qualifying for a WC and hopefully a reminder to the younger guys how to avoid it, and can still help the team should he need to play.

He checks all the boxes for me.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I agree with everything you wrote but wanted to specifically focus on this part.

GGG has many times said he wants veterans on the roster for important games.  Yedlin is the exact kind of guy he should be focusing on for this role, more than the Ream's or Bradley imo.

He is not old at 27 and is still in his prime, he has been to a WC, knows about the Concacaf away wars and knows failure first hand in not qualifying for a WC and hopefully a reminder to the younger guys how to avoid it, and can still help the team should he need to play.

He checks all the boxes for me.

:clap:

This and @Charlie Steiner said it better than I can.  Yedlin deserves a spot on the USMNT for a while.  He may not play much, but he'll be on the roster and probably in the 18.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, agree with all this. Yedlin's specific experiences make him a good veteran leader for the team.

I just worry that he's going to be frozen out in a numbers game in a year or 2. I mean...how many fullbacks can you carry?

At this point, Dest, Cannon and probably Robinson are all locks. And a year from now, Reynolds could be as well. So that's 4, 3 of whom are natural right backs. 

10 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, agree with all this. Yedlin's specific experiences make him a good veteran leader for the team.

I just worry that he's going to be frozen out in a numbers game in a year or 2. I mean...how many fullbacks can you carry?

At this point, Dest, Cannon and probably Robinson are all locks. And a year from now, Reynolds could be as well. So that's 4, 3 of whom are natural right backs. 

To me, I'd leave off whoever needed some motivation, and/or based on the upcoming opponents. For example, it sounds like Dest has been in a bit of a slump lately. Give him a rest from international play to get his head straight and/or decide if he wants to be a must-have player badly enough. On the other hand, I want Miazga on the roster for every CONCACAF match because I think his 'style' of play is a good fit there, and even though he's a personal favorite, I recognize he's not among the top 2-3 CBs available and there's a good chance he'll drop further as our younger players get even better. Nevertheless, he's arguably the best CONCACAF-y  CB we have: just talented enough to contribute and chippy enough to be an enforcer if need be, like a very poor man's John Terry.