Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

17 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Is Holland on winter break or is Gloster so far from the first team they let him come to camp?

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

Chris Gloster is 1 of 3 Jong PSV players who will reportedly be looking for a new club this window. After making the PSV first team's preseason roster, Gloster has been frozen out of Jong PSV and hasn't made a matchday squad since mid-October. Curious where he'll end up.

20 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Good to see Cade invited as we speculated yesterday.

Is Holland on winter break or is Gloster so far from the first team they let him come to camp?

wrong Cade. (not that I dont appreciate this Cade as well)

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

Chris Gloster is 1 of 3 Jong PSV players who will reportedly be looking for a new club this window. After making the PSV first team's preseason roster, Gloster has been frozen out of Jong PSV and hasn't made a matchday squad since mid-October. Curious where he'll end up.

Dutch 2nd division is pretty weak competition.  Getting locked out entirely for a 20 year old is a pretty big blow in terms of how we ought to view him IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

For large stages of his career, he just could not be counted on to execute simple passes out of the back. And while a decent 1v1 defender, his positioning is often problematic. Not only in getting caught upfield (where his speed often just about bails him out), but when he’s actually in the defensive block. 

I’m glad he’s doing well, but he’ll need to build a much longer run of form before I’d want to see him near the national team. 

I feel like he turned the tactical/positioning corner a while ago...like back with Sunderland. Still not perfect, but *gets* it. I was impressed back them that that part of his game had grown, and I hoped for bigger things. His touch is basically in the same boat. I honestly haven't seen the problems you're mentioning for years. My concern is his perpetual inconsistency with the final ball, which renders his modern RB role problematic.

59 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

My concern is his perpetual inconsistency with the final ball, which renders his modern RB role problematic.

Yup.  I guess my comment was more like he doesn't have the ability to hit a cross or cut inside effectively.  He's no Trippier.

You guys may have heard in the news that the Boston Red Sox hired Bianca Smith to be a minor league coach, making her the first black women coach in professional baseball history.

I just found out she is Reggie Cannon's older sister.  I think she is a step or half sister but not sure specifically.   

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

39 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

You guys may have heard in the news that the Boston Red Sox hired Bianca Smith to be a minor league coach, making her the first black women coach in professional baseball history.

I just found out she is Reggie Cannon's older sister.  I think she is a step or half sister but not sure specifically.   

Wrong thread! /s

• Laughing 1

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

For those wondering why Gyasi Zardes wasn’t on the January camp roster, a #usmnt spokesperson says that Zardes underwent a minor medical procedure and thus couldn’t get fit in time for camp. Otherwise he would have been included

35 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

For those wondering why Gyasi Zardes wasn’t on the January camp roster, a #usmnt spokesperson says that Zardes underwent a minor medical procedure and thus couldn’t get fit in time for camp. Otherwise he would have been included

Hopefully it was the magnet and velcro grafts we've all been waiting for 

• Laughing 1

A lot of possibilities for Americans today.

*Man U vs Man City (Steffen is expected to start)

*Juventus vs Milan (yummm)

*Barca and Lille also playing.  Important game for Weah to hope to continue his good play.

I probably will watch the Serie A game if Weston starts again.  So many choices though...

• Like 1

I watched last 15 minutes of the Barca first half.  They look incredibly sharp, best I have seen them all season for the games I have watched.  They are only up 2-1 but they are flowing.  Dembele in particular looks wonderful.

Dest was not too involved offensively during the time I watched but the announcer did mention that he had been sharp just as I was starting to watch.

Edited by NewlyRetired

17 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Looks like Steffen got another clean sheet today, this one over Man U in a 2-0 win.

He looked much better today than against Chelsea.  Much calmer, and did very well against a side that actually was getting pressure against City.  Couple of saves, including that beautiful one against Bruno, and some great reactions to crosses/corners.  I think today will reassure Man City that their backup GK spot is in a good place.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Looks like Steffen got another clean sheet today, this one over Man U in a 2-0 win.

18 minutes ago, encaitar said:

He looked much better today than against Chelsea.  Much calmer, and did very well against a side that actually was getting pressure against City.  Couple of saves, including that beautiful one against Bruno, and some great reactions to crosses/corners.  I think today will reassure Man City that their backup GK spot is in a good place.

Despite City beating United, glad to see Steffen had a good game.  Mostly since I do not want Guzan anywhere near the national team.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Hopefully it was the magnet and velcro grafts we've all been waiting for 

Not sure why you want grafts with the goal is his magnet.  I guess I could see the velcro to help assist re-suring the goal nets.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:09 PM, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
On 1/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, NewlyRetired said:

Very interesting to see Jozy invited but not Bradley.  It makes sense of course but also seems to continue to indicate that Bradley's time is done.

Apparently GGG and MB agreed to leave MB in Toronto to prepare fir the Canadian Cup. 

Related

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Balogun always been open to stay at Arsenal... but he needs to play. This is the priority for Folarin and his agents. If he plays more, he'll be consider a new contract. If not, Balogun will decide among 15 clubs that approached him as free agent. Nothing done/signed yet

• Thinking 1

8 hours ago, encaitar said:

Not as high of a percentage as I'd like to see, but he's also one of the few that is routinely taking on more than one guy on those dribbles.

A real interesting part is looking at some of the names who have a lower %.

Salah, TAA, Ziyech, Sterling etc

• Like 3

and here I was just hoping he could find time during Cup games when he first moved

===========

oldjuveFS

@OldjuveFS

Reflecting on yesterday's goal from Weston McKennie, he is leading all #Juventus midfielders in goals and assists per 90 this season in all comps (0.46). It's not a stretch to say he has been their best midfielder this season, even while not starting every match. #ForzaJuve

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

That was great, thanks for posting.  So many names to follow.

If we get even a couple of these players we need to rename the rule the Jonathan Gonzalez rule.  His switching to Mexico appears to have been the embarrassing wake up call that US Soccer needed to start taking this stuff as seriously as colleges do.  Everything got better from this moment in regards to recruiting.

So much this (below). 

I seriously had no expectation Weston could improve this part of his game so much after twenty years old.  He was always a good player but never one anyone would call technical.  But his feet are fantastic now and it is giving him so much confidence in traffic.   I know this sounds nuts but his feet are so good now and he is so calm on the ball that he reminds me of Claudio.  When you combine that skill set with all the other stuff Weston does, its no wonder he is making the leap this season

================

Sanjiv

@USMNTvideos

One of the reasons I think that McKennie has looked so good for Juve is that he has pretty much got rid of all the sloppy touches. First touch looks consistent now and sets him up well for subsequent actions

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I feel like he's hitting peak Caillou levels... Already. Feels like with swag's motor and heart, that's who I want to compare him to.

Reyna's vision and understanding of space and flow of the game were on another level though, along with the silky touch. But damned if swag isn't getting there too!

• Like 2

this is a very interesting observation and a nice indication that the "process" is working

===============

MLS Buzz

@MLS_Buzz

There is now a nice portfolio of players who started in USL, became MLS players, then moved on to European clubs. Davies, Adams, Aaronson, Reynolds (soon), McKenzie. It’s not cheap to run these USL clubs but they’re paying off big time for the clubs who are doing it right.

In a league like MLS that doesn’t get insane money from tv deals and shares most revenue, the primary ways for clubs to separate themselves profit-wise is ticket sales and player sales. Over the next 10 years, if the selling clubs keep selling, they’re gonna be way ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I feel like he's hitting peak Caillou levels... Already. Feels like with swag's motor and heart, that's who I want to compare him to.

Reyna's vision and understanding of space and flow of the game were on another level though, along with the silky touch. But damned if swag isn't getting there too!

it is scary to think Claudio was still in college at the age Weston is now, who seems like a chiseled veteran at 22.

It makes you wonder how much better Claudio could have been in today's development environment...

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

it is scary to think Claudio was still in college at the age Weston is now, who seems like a chiseled veteran at 22.

It makes you wonder how much better Claudio could have been in today's development environment...

Crazy. Yeah...him- and imagine Tab in a pro development from early on. wynalda too.

• Like 2

Article written by JK for ESPN

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4280455/juergen-klinsmann-champions-league-challenges-usmnt-young-stars-and-boosts-world-cup-hopes

With the World Cup less than two years away, it is an exciting time to be a fan of the U.S. men's national team, which is developing the core of a team that can make a run in the tournament's knockout stage.

In the last 12 months, several players moved to clubs at the very top level in Europe and the experience they will get, playing in the best leagues and in the best competition in the world -- the Champions League -- is good news for the national team.

Christian Pulisic was at Dortmund and then joined Chelsea last year; since then, Giovanni Reyna has followed in his footsteps in Germany. Weston McKennie has moved to Juventus, Sergino Dest is at Barcelona and Tyler Adams plays for RB Leipzig.

None of these players is older than 22 and that is another major change from past generations of American players, who went to Europe after establishing themselves in Major League Soccer or playing at college. It is wonderful to see a lot of youngsters being courageous and giving it a shot at an earlier age than before.

Youth systems, academies and MLS deserve credit for their work with young players in this country. They learn a new culture in Europe, but Pulisic and Reyna, for example, have skillsets that were developed in America at 10, 11, 12, 13 years old. The success of U.S. U-17s and U-20s, which consistently get to youth World Cup knockout games, shows the talent that exists.

And the path to Europe continues to appeal; we hear good things about Bayern Munich's Chris Richards, who moved from FC Dallas, while this week Joe Scally signed for Borussia Moenchengladbach from New York City FC.

Germany is a good destination because there is open-mindedness to give youngsters playing time, but opportunities exist across Europe. Brenden Aaronson, for example, has gone from Philadelphia Union to Red Bull Salzburg in Austria, where he finds huge support from his coach -- and fellow American -- Jesse Marsch.

So how do you make the best chance to succeed at the top level? It is important to have good people surrounding you to help adapt to a new environment; Reyna is a good example, as his dad, Claudio, played in Europe and his mother -- Danielle Egan -- represented the U.S. women's national team.

You have to be open-minded, ready to learn and fight for a spot every day and understand that, sooner or later, "I have to kick someone in front of me out." If you have a setback, like an injury or a coaching change, understand that you have the ability to prove yourself all over again. It is natural for players to think about their own situation, which is why that support network is super important.

Weston McKennie, left, and Christian Pulisic, right, are part of a new generation of U.S. players that has fans excited. Getty

When you get a chance, take it! Reyna got his first Bundesliga minutes less than one year ago and has made himself a key player for Dortmund. Like Pulisic, he can play in different positions and that is a good thing because the chance increases to influence games; instead of being expected to score, there is opportunity to assist, pass well and create chances.

With young attacking players, change of pace is always an important characteristic. I saw it with Christian the first time I watched him when he was 15 or 16 and said this kid not only has very good technique, but he can 'jump' players in a split-second. Giovanni is very similar, though he is taller and has a different flow to his movement. Dest can also go by players in the first few yards.

That ability to create space is what a difference-maker needs to have in the opposing penalty area. To retain it, you must stay healthy and work hard on your body, stretch, get in the gym. Ensure your system is in a good shape because the moment a player loses his change of pace, he is at risk of becoming mediocre.

The Champions League restarts next month and is almost like a feeder system for a successful World Cup, which is why the big European countries, plus Argentina and Brazil, are contenders every four years.

Being involved in tactically advanced games will test their abilities, but also teach leadership and character qualities needed to negotiate the late rounds of a tournament. Without sustained competition in CONCACAF, American players must figure out a way to deal with World Cup knockout games, to reach and go beyond the fifth game, into semifinals and finals.

Playing every year in the Champions League will give you that knowhow, and that is why what I have seen developing over the last couple of years is so exciting. You are a child of your environment and if your environment is Barcelona, every year it is about titles; it is the same with Chelsea, Dortmund and others. At Juventus, McKennie plays for a team that has won the league nine seasons in a row!

At big clubs, expectations are clear and you live them every day. Now they must be transferred to the national team, so it is not enough to settle for getting out of a World Cup group and having everyone tell you that that is a success.

• Thinking 2

latest on Reynolds

========================

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Bryan Reynolds. Juventus today have offered $7M to Dallas FC [loan + obligation to buy, permanent deal] and are waiting for an answer also by player side. Juve are in the race with Roma and Brugge for the next USA gem.

Juventus can’t sign any extra UE player this January. If an agreement will be reached, Reynolds will join Serie A side Benevento for next 6 months and then will be Juventus player starting from season 2021/2022. Negotiations on, but no agreement yet

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1