Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • NewlyRetired

    16800

  • El Floppo

    7360

  • Ramsay Hunt Experience

    2458

  • Ned

    2040

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

REPORT: "Tottenham have accepted Bournemouth's bid for centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers, per Football Insider."

That's pretty amazing.  He just made his first appearance for Bournemouth on loan since he was injured coming into the season.  The fact that they want him based off of practice and one showing seems to speak well for his chances at Bournemouth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, El Floppo said:

I posted in the match day thread yesterday that Dest didn't play a minute in the cops semi. 

Was he being rested, or benched? 

Saw this....

======

BARÇA LIVE 24/7

@BarcaLive24_7

@USMNT star, Sergiño Dest did not feature against Real Sociedad as precaution, because he had a discomfort in his thigh. But now, he's completely ready to play the final.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This would not be the worst thing.  Getting himself out of an awful situation in Turkey and getting himself right in front of GGG's face might give him a chance to get back in the USMNT picture, at least in a depth role

========================================

Big Bad MLS

@BigBadMLS

A source tells me #FCCincy are interested in signing Tyler Boyd from #Besiktas. Talks to commence soon. The 26 year old #USMNT winger has been left off of Besiktas’ roster and Berhalter has spoken out publicly about how displeased he was. Makes sense for Cincinnati and for Boyd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Interesting to see if CP starts today v Fulham and robo/ream at 12:30 NBC regular.

All the bundie boys playing at 9:30 this am.

Reyna didn't dress. 

Anybody know more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

The team tweeted out he has a mild throat infection

I am not watching but they appear to be struggling with out him.  They are losing 1-0 to bottom of the table Mainz in second half.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

the Dortmund coach just made a decision that could haunt him. Dortmund claw back into the game 1-1 and a minute later draw a pk.

Does he send up Haaland, who has not missed a pk since he was 14 and maybe one of the top 2-3 goal scorers in the world?  nope, he sends up Rues who promptly pulls it wide of the net.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Robinson looking more dangerous than CP so far. Causing some real damage down his side...should've led to a goal just now.

Ruh roh. Straight red for robo

Link to post
Share on other sites

Late, high, two legged...deserved. but too bad. He was having a really good game, and Fulham was looking very comfortable against Chels.

They'll have to pack it in, meaning even less space for CP who hasn't looked as sharp as hes capable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Late, high, two legged...deserved. but too bad. He was having a really good game, and Fulham was looking very comfortable against Chels.

They'll have to pack it in, meaning even less space for CP who hasn't looked as sharp as hes capable.

Booo

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Something is wrong with CP 

 

feels like Lampard asked him to not take on defenders as much. 
 

Maybe still not 100%

 

Also, Werner doing his best to hurt CPs stats

Hot take conspiracy theory below because I don’t want to admit he might not be 100% or just in bad form...

Granted, I don’t know much (anything) about spacing, tactics, triangles,... but every time CP gets the ball on the left (there’s two guys marking him) he gives it up to make a run and the ball NEVER comes back to him. It either gets passed back again, or they switch it to the right where it seems way more wide open and Mount seems to pop up and feed the winger on that side.

Are the guys behind Pulisic on the left not as good? Are opposing teams decidingin advance to try to take him out of the equation and make Chelsea beat them with somebody else? Do Mount and CP not like each other and have to play on opposite sides? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rustoleum said:

Hot take conspiracy theory below because I don’t want to admit he might not be 100% or just in bad form...

Granted, I don’t know much (anything) about spacing, tactics, triangles,... but every time CP gets the ball on the left (there’s two guys marking him) he gives it up to make a run and the ball NEVER comes back to him. It either gets passed back again, or they switch it to the right where it seems way more wide open and Mount seems to pop up and feed the winger on that side.

Are the guys behind Pulisic on the left not as good? Are opposing teams decidingin advance to try to take him out of the equation and make Chelsea beat them with somebody else? Do Mount and CP not like each other and have to play on opposite sides? 

Seems like opposing defenses immediately rotate 2nd and 3rd defenders to him to keep him from easily breaking them down.

But yeah...today, he had opportunities around the box to open himself up for a shot and chose to pass to Giroud or Werner it instead. Not sure if that's come from up high or just what he's seeing. Werner...woof. guy plays great in space typically, but he just looks all wrong in or out of space.

Link to post
Share on other sites

WB with the win, but Sargent's hear map is squarely around the mid-stripe. Not going to score a lot goals from there.

Eta...RB & wolfsburg (Brooks) tied. No minutes for Adams. Is he hurt too? It's trending in the wrong direction lately.

Edited by El Floppo
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife asked me why I have the yips this morning.

I told her I am preparing myself to watch Schalke and that it is giving me bad memories of having to watch Sunderland.

After realizing I was speaking in an alien tongue again, she pats me on the shoulder and says "have fun dear"

No one understands my pain..... :)

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Todd from Utah said:

So at what point does hoppe become a thing? Are we there already?

I mean I think so. If things were normal and we had a camp coming up I'd for sure expect him to get a call

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Todd from Utah said:

So at what point does hoppe become a thing? Are we there already?

It's a thing.  You don't score like that in a top league by fluke.  He will get called in to camp and should compete at a spot that is very open at the moment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moe. said:

please continue posting the Hoppe highlights here, I don't care what happens I'm not watching Schalke again. We suffered enough 

it is awful to watch you are correct.  I believe the Hoppe goal may have been the only attempt on goal so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Moe. said:

please continue posting the Hoppe highlights here, I don't care what happens I'm not watching Schalke again. We suffered enough 

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

it is awful to watch you are correct.  I believe the Hoppe goal may have been the only attempt on goal so far.

Dreading the Schalke v Bremen match o' horrors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:
10 minutes ago, Todd from Utah said:

So at what point does hoppe become a thing? Are we there already?

It's a thing.  You don't score like that in a top league by fluke.  He will get called in to camp and should compete at a spot that is very open at the moment. 

Two games is still early...but yeah, for forwards its about scoring or at least creating goals and goal scoring opportunities and he's obviously doing that. He'll need to continue in order to get the callup to the next camp imo- these two games won't give him a pass if the rest are quiet. But he's clearly put himself in the US cross hairs for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Two games is still early...but yeah, for forwards its about scoring or at least creating goals and goal scoring opportunities and he's obviously doing that. He'll need to continue in order to get the callup to the next camp imo- these two games won't give him a pass if the rest are quiet. But he's clearly put himself in the US cross hairs for that.

Yes, 2 full games and some other minutes over a half season is very little.  But, I think he's shown enough to warrant a call up for evaluation in a camp.  We don't need to select the 23-man WC roster right now.  But this kid has likely gotten very few looks by the US Soccer folks, as far as I know he wasn't really in their radar in the youth teams.  Plus, he's only a few years in to playing striker, and finally he's got a physical presence that can be quite useful in certain setups.

Edited by The Z Machine
Link to post
Share on other sites

At what point does the whole “Yanks Abroad” thing get too unwieldy and we just admit there are too many out there to track in any meaningful way, and we just focus on the guys getting call ups? This kid was not on anyone’s radar as far as I know, and there are probably a dozen or two more like him out there.  We used to be able to tick these guys off from memory and we knew everything about them.

Would a kid like Ben Ledermam get any coverage these days? Would we even know about him? He had a full spread in the NYT and regular coverage on espn back in the day, just playing on the youth teams at la Masia. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Z Machine said:

I think he's done enough to warrant a call up for evaluation in a camp.  We don't need to select the 23-man WC roster right now.  But this kid has likely gotten very few looks by the US Soccer folks, as far as I know he wasn't really in their radar in the youth teams.  Plus, he's only a few years in to playing striker, and finally he's got a physical presence that can be quite useful in certain setups.

If he does nothing between now and the next call up, you think these two games is enough to warrant getting included? Definitely hoping for his continued success and his inclusion being a no-brainer...but not yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Would a kid like Ben Ledermam get any coverage these days? Would we even know about him? He had a full spread in the NYT and regular coverage on espn back in the day, just playing on the youth teams at la Masia. 

But that's likely the most fabled academy in the world.  And he was the first.  But I agree, the numbers are getting unwieldy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

At what point does the whole “Yanks Abroad” thing get too unwieldy and we just admit there are too many out there to track in any meaningful way, and we just focus on the guys getting call ups? This kid was not on anyone’s radar as far as I know, and there are probably a dozen or two more like him out there.  We used to be able to tick these guys off from memory and we knew everything about them.

Would a kid like Ben Ledermam get any coverage these days? Would we even know about him? He had a full spread in the NYT and regular coverage on espn back in the day, just playing on the youth teams at la Masia. 

Tbf, I don't know of any of the many US kids abroad scoring first team goals in the top flight...let alone hat tricks. I just am hoping this isn't a Connor Casey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

If he does nothing between now and the next call up, you think these two games is enough to warrant getting included? Definitely hoping for his continued success and his inclusion being a no-brainer...but not yet.

Yes, as he's not gotten a look by the national team. They need to evaluate him properly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

Yes, as he's not gotten a look by the national team. They need to evaluate him properly. 

Do we know when the next call up is? Hopefully he can keep getting minutes and produce chances (I don't see Schalke scoring many goals). We obviously disagree slightly, so it'll be interesting to see how gggg plays this if the kid slides some the rest of the way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont watch much Bundesliga but catching the last few minutes of this Shalke game. Are all the German refs this schlumpy looking?

The EPL guys generally look like they can get up and down. This guy looks like they dragged him out of the schnitzel house 2 hours ago.

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

But that's likely the most fabled academy in the world.  And he was the first.  But I agree, the numbers are getting unwieldy. 

I guess that’s the point I’m making, which might be kind of self evident. The Lederman story was sensational at the time, probably less than 10 years ago, but if it happened today would we even know his name? 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I guess that’s the point I’m making, which might be kind of self evident. The Lederman story was sensational at the time, probably less than 10 years ago, but if it happened today would we even know his name? 
 

Konrad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...