Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

1 hour ago, Ned said:

I think Z was talking about Schalke, but that's still a great point.  

No, this was a Serie A comment. I was really referring to Juve vs. Roma.  The caliber at Juve is obviously superior to where Roma was a decade ago, but I was surprised that Roma was nearly on par with Juve.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

2 hours ago, Ned said:

I think Z was talking about Schalke, but that's still a great point.  

He quoted the Bradley post when he made that comment which is why I talked about Roma.

It is absolutely correct Schalke was a low scoring team, even when they came in second in the Bundesliga when Weston was there.

Concacaf has released the (huge) preliminary rosters for Olympic qualifying.  In a unique situation, Efra is listed on both the US and Mexican preliminary rosters.

It is a pdf file

https://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/6d38119e-be56-4a2b-b461-387ad3f10f46/Preliminary_Rosters_MOQ.pdf

The list is huge if you can't see it.  For the US it includes, among many others, Aaronson, Araju, Bello, Busio, Konrad, Johnny, Ebobisse, Jesus, Klinsmann, Lewis, Uly, Pepi, Parks, Reynolds, Robinson, Soto, Vines, and Yueill

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Concacaf has released the (huge) preliminary rosters for Olympic qualifying.  In a unique situation, Efra is listed on both the US and Mexican preliminary rosters.

It is a pdf file

https://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/6d38119e-be56-4a2b-b461-387ad3f10f46/Preliminary_Rosters_MOQ.pdf

The list is huge if you can't see it.  For the US it includes, among many others, Aaronson, Araju, Bello, Busio, Konrad, Johnny, Ebobisse, Jesus, Klinsmann, Lewis, Uly, Pepi, Parks, Reynolds, Robinson, Soto, Vines, and Yueill

Given Aaronson's play at Salzburg, I am guessing he will not be released for this.   Every other name on the full list has a decent chance I think to be released.

With out Aaronson, and likely with out Efra, this team is going to be devoid of creative play.  They are going to have to grind out some results to qualify I think.

It is strange that we may miss out on Olympic qualifying again, but this time it will be due to the players being too good rather than too poor.  In the past, the Olympic qualifying teams have had pretty much a full choice of players to pick from.

Look at the list of players the US can't call for this.   The quality they are missing is insane.

Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Weah, Sargent, Dest, Robinson, McKenzie, Aaronson, Reyna, CCV, Dike, Hoppe, Musah, Ledesma*, Richards and a few others I am likely forgetting.

*I know Richie is hurt but he was just starting to break through with PSV when he got hurt and if he didn't, I don't think he would have been released for this.

• Like 2

Konrad's latest game vs. L'Hospitalet

Mixed game.  Some good stuff early on, then a whole bunch of "meh", and then a great assist and nice shot on goal.

Overall, he gets shut down way too easily on the wing.  He doesn't seem able to break through when he's 1 on 1, which is strange because it seems like that should otherwise be a strong point for him given his size and quickness and dribbling ability.  But, just a lot of movement without getting through and ultimately passing back.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

With out Aaronson, and likely with out Efra, this team is going to be devoid of creative play.  They are going to have to grind out some results to qualify I think.

It is strange that we may miss out on Olympic qualifying again, but this time it will be due to the players being too good rather than too poor.  In the past, the Olympic qualifying teams have had pretty much a full choice of players to pick from.

Look at the list of players the US can't call for this.   The quality they are missing is insane.

Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Weah, Sargent, Dest, Robinson, McKenzie, Aaronson, Reyna, CCV, Dike, Hoppe, Musah, Ledesma*, Richards and a few others I am likely forgetting.

*I know Richie is hurt but he was just starting to break through with PSV when he got hurt and if he didn't, I don't think he would have been released for this.

If we can't get results with something like the below, we have problems.  

Lewis - Ebossie

Lennon- Yueill - Williamson - Parks

Vines - Sands -  Glad- Robinson

That doesn't even have the higher upside MLS guys like Bassett, Busio, Clark, Ferreira, etc or any foreign-based guys. Even without those guys, this is a deep team of MLS regular contributors.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sammy3469 said:

If we can't get results with something like the below, we have problems.  

Lewis - Ebossie

Lennon- Yueill - Williamson - Parks

Vines - Sands -  Glad- Robinson

That doesn't even have the higher upside MLS guys like Bassett, Busio, Clark, Ferreira, etc or any foreign-based guys. Even without those guys, this is a deep team of MLS regular contributors.  

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Getting points off of Mexico, in Mexico, with this level of talent does not make me confident though.

The key game though is the Costa Rica game.  If the US can win that, they should have a real good shot at getting to the  semi finals, which they would have to win to qualify.

53 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Pulisic on the bench in Champions League today.  Hopefully he can make an impact as a sub.

Giroud, Warner, and Mount up front.

CHO and Alonso as wingbacks.

The way Atleti are defending...looks like zonal and deep...CP would do well here. There's a little bit of room in front of the box for a player that wants to attack to attack.

On cue, Werner took a guy on just opened up a bit and forced a save.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

he's got 5 minutes

He did manage to both draw a yellow and get smashed in the face with the ball in those 5 minutes, though!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

He did manage to both draw a yellow and get smashed in the face with the ball in those 5 minutes, though!

Out two months.

I mistakenly thought Chels had used all their subs so stopped watching right before he subbed in (and right after Reece subbed in).

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

The way Atleti are defending...looks like zonal and deep...CP would do well here. There's a little bit of room in front of the box for a player that wants to attack to attack.

On cue, Werner took a guy on just opened up a bit and forced a save.

I know Simoni is a genius, but I think he overthought this one.  Surrendering 65-70% of the possession to that Chelsea squad is criminal especially when Giroud has been so clinical this year.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Some one noticed that Akinola is not listed on either the Canadian nor American preliminary rosters...

Charles Boehm

@cboehm

US U-23 MNT coach Jason Kreis tells me Ayo Akinola is unavailable to take part in Olympic qualifying: "Ayo is a player that is having some health issues, and that's why he was not listed in our group. So we believe that he's unable to train or play right now."

• Thinking 1
13 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

I know Simoni is a genius, but I think he overthought this one.  Surrendering 65-70% of the possession to that Chelsea squad is criminal especially when Giroud has been so clinical this year.

He's not a tactical genius although he's a good tactician.  He's great at getting a lot of contribution from his players, full commitment to the game, and getting players to train hard to earn their spot.

The team is in a slump though, and they need to find some goals soon. 

So yeah, I guess they're just REALLY dedicated to just straight screwing us at this point, huh?

https://twitter.com/AmericanOutlaws/status/1364704549815083014

I just found out a couple of days ago that I actually get FREE access to CBS all access/the future Paramount Plus, so I'll be able to watch without contributing to the problem. But this is just such garbage. Such a slippery slope.

5 years from now we're going to be buying NCAA tournament games ala carte via pay per view.

Edited by Todd from Utah
10 minutes ago, Todd from Utah said:

So yeah, I guess they're just REALLY dedicated to just straight screwing us at this point, huh?

I just found out a couple of days ago that I actually get FREE access to CBS all access/the future Paramount Plus, so I'll be able to watch without contributing to the problem. But this is just such garbage. Such a slippery slope.

5 years from now we're going to be buying NCAA tournament games ala carte via pay per view.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start brushing up on that Spanish I "learned" in high school.  Univision here I come.

The English language away qualifiers have always been hard to get. The past couple of cycles I think they were on beIN.

At least they will be easy to get on one of the Spanish channels or just grab a pirated stream in English.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Dike has been a bit of a good luck charm.  Barnsley were meh most of the season and have now earned 12 points in the 4 games Dike has played.

They have moved themselves into 1 point of the promotion playoffs with this run, and they have a game in hand on the 3 teams directly above them in the table.

• Like 2

Rumor floating around twitter that the US's second game will be against Jamaica next month, played some where in Europe.

This should be a solid game against an Ocho opponent likely to have access to all of its Euro based players

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

Rumor floating around twitter that the US's second game will be against Jamaica next month, played some where in Europe.

This should be a solid game against an Ocho opponent likely to have access to all of its Euro based players

in related news

===================

Telegraph Football

@TeleFootball

Exclusive: West Ham's Michail Antonio set to switch allegiance from England to Jamaica in bid to play at 2022 World Cup

• Thinking 1
On 2/24/2021 at 6:07 PM, Todd from Utah said:

The Concacaf Nations League semi finals and finals will be on Paramount + as well this summer.

I have not seen any word on tv coverage of the Concacaf Olympic qualifiers.  I assume one of the normal Spanish channels will have it but mot idea on who the English carrier will be.

Nice!  Although having 4 games in a 12 day stretch seems ambitious.  I wonder if this will be a very large group of players involved in these games....

===============

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

Brian McBride says that second #usmnt friendly in March window is almost finalized for March 25. There will also be a pre-Nations League friendly on May 30, as well as June 9 after that competition.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

I have watched every highlight package for Sargent all season.  This is by far the best he has looked.  

Watch how complete his play is in every phase of the game.  Play like this is what GGG dreams about from his striker which in his system requires lots of work.

https://twitter.com/MisterKranks/status/1365420016162734080?s=20

• Like 3
3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have watched every highlight package for Sargent all season.  This is by far the best he has looked.  

Watch how complete his play is in every phase of the game.  Play like this is what GGG dreams about from his striker which in his system requires lots of work.

https://twitter.com/MisterKranks/status/1365420016162734080?s=20

Wow. Nice work throughout...runs and touch great as always, but the crispness and dare I say explosiveness (for him) were up a notch.  

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Wow. Nice work throughout...runs and touch great as always, but the crispness and dare I say explosiveness (for him) were up a notch.  

This is exactly what we need from our striker spot. 

The question is whether he can provide this level consistently or if this was just a one off.

And that was against a really good team too, not a bottom of the table relegation fodder.  Frankfurt were on track for Champions League.

Dest listed as a MF in the staring lineup today on the right side playing behind Dembele.  Not sure if that will be his actual positioning but it seems so as they have a 4 person backline with Mingueza behind him at RB.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Dest listed as a MF in the staring lineup today on the right side playing behind Dembele.  Not sure if that will be his actual positioning but it seems so as they have a 4 person backline with Mingueza behind him at RB.

Interesting lineup.  I bet it's really a 3 man back line with Alba and Dest playing wingback and trying to cover even inside for Busquets.

Hope Rakitic lights up his old team. 

32 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Gio has been a hot mess so far today. Losing the ball over and over, touch a disaster...and face/body language looks completely dejected.

He was so bad I was worried they'd pull him before the half. But early in the second half he's still playing and looking a little better.

Sancho has found his form again.

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

It's certainly a three man back with Dest and Alba pushed explicitly into wide midfield positions.

• Like 1

Dest had a decent game. Probably had the least time on the ball, but a couple good passes and good shots (one hit the post from a difficult angle). Showing some of the confidence we were talking about a couple weeks ago. Going with a 3-5-2 with two fullbacks pushed to wingers is the most stable Barcelona has looked against a really good team all year. And Dest certainly covered a lot of space playing the full 90 in it. Barcelona play Sevilla again down 0-2 midweek, it will be interesting to see if Koeman stays with this setup.

Edited by Desert_Power
  • Like 2
On 2/24/2021 at 8:24 PM, NewlyRetired said:

Dike has been a bit of a good luck charm.  Barnsley were meh most of the season and have now earned 12 points in the 4 games Dike has played.

They have moved themselves into 1 point of the promotion playoffs with this run, and they have a game in hand on the 3 teams directly above them in the table.

Dike started and went 75 minutes in another win (2-1) for Barnsley.  As raw as he is, he seems to be forcing his way into playing time.  The team winning every time he plays certainly helps.