What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

So, if you were a high school coach trying to get more kids interested in just watching more soccer where would you send them? Probably more of a question for the other thread but I'm thinking if I can get some of these younger kids following the USMNT at a minimum that would be a good start.

Is there a good site to send them a link with "best" upcoming matches or something?  I saw the link to the us ayers playing abroad. Great stuff but not sure if I should send that out to 30 kids.

So, if you were a high school coach trying to get more kids interested in just watching more soccer where would you send them? Probably more of a question for the other thread but I'm thinking if I can get some of these younger kids following the USMNT at a minimum that would be a good start.

Is there a good site to send them a link with "best" upcoming matches or something?  I saw the link to the us ayers playing abroad. Great stuff but not sure if I should send that out to 30 kids.
I am not sure there is any one site.  USSoccer.com does a pretty nice job highlighting when US players are on TV but the channels are all over the place.  

It has been my experience that kids become interested in watching soccer by one of two things

1) They see a live game (MLS or a Nats game).  I know this is not the easiest in our Covid environment but when this clears, this is what I would pound.  Not only would some of the kids get the itch to continue to following, the kids will learn a ton seeing pros play live.   There is hardly an MLS rookie every year who does not talk about the effect watching an MLS game had on him wanting to go further in the sport.

2) Via the EA FIFA video game where they gain the knowledge of "knowing" who various players are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot I watched Galatarsary and Yedlin yesterday. He looked really good on both sides of the ball. Still has his pace, made smart choices with his runs, best his touch and decision making have looked. Honestly a great all around game from him.

Forgot I watched Galatarsary and Yedlin yesterday. He looked really good on both sides of the ball. Still has his pace, made smart choices with his runs, best his touch and decision making have looked. Honestly a great all around game from him.
One of the media guys on twitter was making a fairly cogent argument that along with Brooks and Weston, Yedlin has been the best US player since the calendar turned.

One of the media guys on twitter was making a fairly cogent argument that along with Brooks and Weston, Yedlin has been the best US player since the calendar turned.
You could see on the field- unlike Dest, his team and teammates had an active desire and plan to involve him. And he was causing genuine problems for the opposing team.

That said...last game, Dest looked more comfortable in that wide role in the MF than he has as a pure wingback (at least lately). Got himself into better positions, looked more available to attack the goal.

Maybe get them involved in a fantasy soccer league...might be a good way of making it more fun to follow games.  You could even customize the scoring to place a heavy emphasis on the things you want them emulating when they play (stuff like crosses and tackles).

They just announced the U-23 training camp roster.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), Jonathan Klinsmann (LA Galaxy; Munich, Germany), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes, Alamo, Calif.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Calif.), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Marco Farfan (LAFC; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; New York, N.Y.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.), Austin Trusty (Colorado Rapids; Media, Pa.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Frankie Amaya (FC Cincinnati; Santa Ana, Calif.), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; Denville, N.J.), Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC; Medellin, Colombia), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (9): Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United FC; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; Plantation, Fla.), Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; Lynwood, Calif.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; Jacksonville, Fla.), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas/MEX; Park City, Utah), Sebastian Soto (Norwich City/ENG; San Diego, Calif.)

Both Cardoso and Perea (along with Yueill) with the U-23's, which I found sort of interesting. I assumed that one would end up at the senior camp as Adams' backup. 

No Alvarez, so now we wait and see if he shows up on the Mexico roster.

Soto with the U-23's as well.

Seems like a group that SHOULDN'T have trouble qualifying. But since it basically comes down to 1 game, who the hell knows.

Cardoso and Perea (along with Yueill
I'm interested to see what any of these 3 can produce.  Right now the US has excellent starters (Adams and Weston), both of which are young, plus a few others playing in top-flight leagues (Ota... from wolves, and maybe Musah if he switches).  Gonna be hard to crack the starting lineup for the 3 listed above, but one of them should be on the roster for Qatar.

Atlanta has decided to not release Bello, Lennon and Robinson due to Covid protocols which would preclude them playing at the beginning of the Champions League for Atlanta.

This is obviously a bummer as Bello and Robinson both had a good chance to be starters on this team, Robinson more though as Vines should be the top LB for this group.

Oh, Christian.

What a #######.

Even if you think liking posts by a dude just kicked out of US Soccer about killing Antifa whilst surrounded by an arsenal is kosher, the people who hand out sponsorships won't.  Adams, McKennie and probably 75% of the team won't either for that matter.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
Oh, Christian.

What a #######.

Even if you think liking posts by a dude just kicked out of US Soccer about killing Antifa whilst surrounded by an arsenal is kosher, the people who hand out sponsorships won't.  Adams, McKennie and probably 75% of the team won't either for that matter.

Oh boy.

REALLY hope this was some sort of misunderstanding or something. But yeah, that looks bad.

I honestly have no idea why any celebrity or public figure feels the need to "like" or comment on anything on social media. You're just asking for trouble.

Oh, Christian.

What a #######.

Not that it changes much, but just for context, the post and the "like" were from last June.

Barcelona did not release Konrad for the Olympic qualifying games.
LAAAAAME.  Dude can't get any minutes with the first team.

I do think that clubs should be forced to release players for these youth internationals unless they've played more than 10% of available first team minutes.

They just announced the U-23 training camp roster.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), Jonathan Klinsmann (LA Galaxy; Munich, Germany), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes, Alamo, Calif.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Calif.), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Marco Farfan (LAFC; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; New York, N.Y.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.), Austin Trusty (Colorado Rapids; Media, Pa.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Frankie Amaya (FC Cincinnati; Santa Ana, Calif.), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; Denville, N.J.), Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC; Medellin, Colombia), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (9): Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United FC; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; Plantation, Fla.), Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; Lynwood, Calif.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; Jacksonville, Fla.), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas/MEX; Park City, Utah), Sebastian Soto (Norwich City/ENG; San Diego, Calif.)
The biggest concern for me is that we have assembled a team with exactly 2 players who are actively playing club ball right now (Johnny and Saucedo).  Every one else is basically in their off season or never plays with their club team.

This is a bit scary considering so much is riding on the very first game.

We already knew the quality of age eligible players missing was enormous, and now having to add in Konrad, Robinson, Bello and Brooks to that list is certainly not going to make me sleep any easier.

I don't know enough about the other teams young players but both Liga MX and Liga FPD (Costa Rica Div 1) are actively in season right now.

This is a good interview with Kreis talking about all the various issues with the Atlanta players and his thoughts on the roster.

For those that don't have the time to read, he also mentions that Efra was simply not ready to make a decision yet for either country so he decided to push that decision point into the future.  I think Efra can still play for Mexico in the Olympics if called and won't effect any US eligibility down the line.

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/03/jason-kreis-addresses-atlanta-uniteds-call-up-rejections-efrain-alvarez-and-more

About a 2/10 in terms of blunders. I mean, obviously not ideal, but he was swarmed, received the ball in a terrible spot, and really had limited options. Against the top team in the league. I don't think that play will have much, if any effect, on PT moving forward.
The last time he made a blunder, he went I believe ten games with out seeing a single second of playing time.  I think this was his first minute of play since that punishment.

Lets hope the coach has a shorter memory than last time.

About a 2/10 in terms of blunders. I mean, obviously not ideal, but he was swarmed, received the ball in a terrible spot, and really had limited options. Against the top team in the league. I don't think that play will have much, if any effect, on PT moving forward.
He was given a hospital ball deluxe. Short of just pounding it first time in the direction it came from, not a lot of options for him there.

I think the bold is more of a reason why you don't dribble in that situation more so than using it as an excuse. 

He had 2 options and should've been aware of his surroundings before he ever got the ball.  

1 - his body shape had him set up to play it easily first time to the guy to his right.  He has to be aware of that, especially considering who he's being swarmed by and where he's at on the field.

2 - play it back to where it came from and move to a different spot to try and work themselves out of the corner. 

Dest played in an advanced role again today, but didn't really do much. He tried to dribble past the fullback a couple of times but wasn't successful.

Users who are viewing this thread