• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

McKennie was officially bought by Juve for 22M in 3 installments today. Not sure If I'm Schalke I'd have agreed to the 3 installments but given their financial issues maybe they were afraid not getting a deal across since Juve has some Economical issues of their own they are dealing with. They didn't do much in the Winter Mercado as they couldn't off load a lot of their very high salary older players they didn't want.  As a smaller club you shouldn't try to do any favors for bigger clubs in general. 

46 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

McKennie was officially bought by Juve for 22M in 3 installments today. Not sure If I'm I'd have agreed to the 3 installments but given their financial issues maybe they were afraid not getting a deal across since Juve has some Economical issues of their own they are dealing with. They didn't do much in the Winter Mercado as they couldn't off load a lot of their very high salary older players they didn't want.  As a smaller club you shouldn't try to do any favors for bigger clubs in general. 

That had to be pre-negotiated or they are getting interest payments.  Schalke would like nothing more than the deal to fall apart and get McKennie back and sell him for 33M.

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

That had to be pre-negotiated or they are getting interest payments.  Schalke would like nothing more than the deal to fall apart and get McKennie back and sell him for 33M.

Don't think that was pre negotiated. I can check around though but I think this was part of the newer discussions. 

9 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Don't think that was pre negotiated. I can check around though but I think this was part of the newer discussions. 

Pretty sure it was loan + Juve option to buy.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Pretty sure it was loan + Juve option to buy.

This is correct.  Juve uses this method with a lot of its transfers.

I don't know if the 3 installment thing was pre negotiated though.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

This is correct.  Juve uses this method with a lot of its transfers.

I don't know if the 3 installment thing was pre negotiated though.

Thats the part I was talking about which I didn't know. I believe they did this with Nicholas Rovela (SP) but loaned him back to Genoa for 18 months. 

Timothy Weah's Cousin Patrick Weah has signed a homegrown Pro Contract with his parent club Minny 

28 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

how did he look?

The best I can say is that he did his job.  Chelsea were not attacking much in the last 30 minutes, so he was pressing the LFC back line and looking to counter, but there wasn't much there.  He had a couple clever passes - a flick to Werner that could have been a beautiful play - but also lost possession a couple times and failed to handle a difficult pass once.  It seems to me his movement and instincts are not great when he's asked to defend more than attack in this formation.  I think he probably gave the manager exactly what was asked - fresh legs to see the game out.  Its not what we want to see, but I think he's still an important player on the club.  I would like to see him come on in a situation where they are behind and really need to attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Dike's last game.

I still just don't see it. I know he scored and the team is having success, but I just don't come away impressed after watching him. He's good in the air, though. 

I think it kinda depends on your expectations.

I dont think anyone expects him to be a starter. But in the right game, I could see a scenario where he makes a difference. He's a mountain of a man and if we're playing a South American team that is really packing it in and conceding crosses, he could cause some havoc and help manufacture a goal.

He's 20 and scoring goals in a decent European league despite only being there for a few weeks.  I'll take it.

edit: CENTRAL American, not South American

Edited by Todd from Utah
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Todd from Utah said:

I think it kinda depends on your expectations.

I dont think anyone expects him to be a starter. But in the right game, I could see a scenario where he makes a difference. He's a mountain of a man and if we're playing a South American team that is really packing it in and conceding crosses, he could cause some havoc and help manufacture a goal.

He's 20 and scoring goals in a decent European league despite only being there for a few weeks.  I'll take it.

Yes to all.

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Dike's last game.

I still just don't see it. I know he scored and the team is having success, but I just don't come away impressed after watching him. He's good in the air, though. 

That's because he had like 4x as many touches with his head than both feet combined.  But he looked useful IMO.  Poor man's Christian Benteke.  Doesn't look like an EPL-caliber player to me though, so I think we agree.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Todd from Utah said:

if we're playing a South American team that is really packing it in and conceding crosses,

I think you mean Central American or Caribbean.  A CONMEBOL team would likely try to take the game to the US unless they had a lead they were trying to protect. 

7 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I think you mean Central American or Caribbean.  A CONMEBOL team would likely try to take the game to the US unless they had a lead they were trying to protect. 

Yeah, that's what I meant.

8 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Christian Pulisic starts on the bench today for Chelsea at Anfield.

Him and his agent need to go find another club thats gonna start playing him more 

On 3/3/2021 at 10:36 PM, BassNBrew said:

Here's what I got from David AMoyal when I asked him Juve was always gonna purchase him but after McKennie plays 60% of the games it becomes a purchase anyway. Juve just bought him early. The three installments is typical for anything like this 

Three installments is typical for any transfer fee over €10 million, Juve had the option to buy him, they could’ve exercised it anytime before it vested anyway once he played 60% of their games

This was always a purchase in disguise, Juve pretty much always buys the players they have on loan with option to buy. They just did after previous fiscal year ended

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Him and his agent need to go find another club thats gonna start playing him more 

I don’t necessarily agree, and would say it’s highly unlikely that’s what the player wants, but if so, it’s not going to be easy with a big contract that runs through June 2024. 

18 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Here's what I got from David AMoyal when I asked him Juve was always gonna purchase him but after McKennie plays 60% of the games it becomes a purchase anyway. Juve just bought him early. The three installments is typical for anything like this 

Three installments is typical for any transfer fee over €10 million, Juve had the option to buy him, they could’ve exercised it anytime before it vested anyway once he played 60% of their games

This was always a purchase in disguise, Juve pretty much always buys the players they have on loan with option to buy. They just did after previous fiscal year ended

Thanks for confirming.  I knew it had to be pre-negotiated otherwise Schalke would have loved an excuse to get him back.

• Thanks 1

Dest, Weston and Aaronson will all be playing in their league's Cup finals.

McKenzie and Miazga meet in the Belgium Cup semi finals, meaning that a 4th American will be playing in a Cup final this year.

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Gio Reyna (18) will not be traveling with the Dortmund team to face Bayern Munich this weekend. Unfortunate to have to miss out on such a big game - hopefully nothing too serious

• Thinking 1
10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Gio Reyna (18) will not be traveling with the Dortmund team to face Bayern Munich this weekend. Unfortunate to have to miss out on such a big game - hopefully nothing too serious

He has looked a hot mess the last couple times I've seen him. Nowhere near the level he was at the beginning of the season. I know he made those comments about being exhausted, already a month plus ago. Hopefully this isn't an issue...hate to see his incredible development hit any kind of longer term mental/physical roadblock

16 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

He has looked a hot mess the last couple times I've seen him. Nowhere near the level he was at the beginning of the season. I know he made those comments about being exhausted, already a month plus ago. Hopefully this isn't an issue...hate to see his incredible development hit any kind of longer term mental/physical roadblock

The team did not give a reason why he is missing the game.  Sancho and Guerreiro are also out.

https://www.kicker.de/sancho-guerreiro-und-reyna-fehlen-in-muenchen-799060/artikel#twshare

36 minutes ago, Ned said:

You love to see it!

I’m adopting Jack de Vries as my guy this year.  Curtin was talking him up a bunch yesterday, sounds like he could see some legit time at either forward or the 10

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

You love to see it!

I’m adopting Jack de Vries as my guy this year.  Curtin was talking him up a bunch yesterday, sounds like he could see some legit time at either forward or the 10

I think Harrel will get minutes too with the surprise Retirement of Ray Gaddis. Never got to streak across Philly if Ray scored a goal finally 

18 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

You love to see it!

Fontana 😍

jesus, I thought Orlando putting a $20m price on him was beyond ridiculous.  Now I am wondering if Dike helps them to the EPL, that they may pay it.

They are on pace now for 7 straight wins since Dike started playing for them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

If I keep talking down about him, maybe he'll keep this up?

I keep saying how raw he is but damn, he is still basically a rookie who was just moved to a new country and he appears to be doing well even if he does not pass the eye test at times.

• Like 2