What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

He can score with both feet?

Be still my heart.....
He's a goal scoring machine

Unfortunately, he's a long shot and a pipe dream, mostly because he would need to complete a one-time switch and that would mean he'd have to be guaranteed time, IMO. 

The biggest thing in our favor is that he has so much depth ahead of him in England:  Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Abraham.  He's not seeing time there anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, was hoping to hear soon from him.

On that same note, I haven't seen anything recently, but we still have an outside chance at Folarin Balogun.  That would be HUGE if he somehow decides to go with the USMNT.  It would require a one-time switch so we won't see him called up, but if he's got no shot with England (which is almost certainly the case), I could see it happening.
Thanks for linking that...interesting to see the other names on the list.

Thanks for linking that...interesting to see the other names on the list.
Yep.

Between him and Alvarez, we have some elite potential up front. I think Alvarez still has a higher chance to join USMNT. Either one would be a huge catch.

I keep checking in on Balogun because he looks so damn good and his statistics are insane. I still don't understand how Arsenal hasn't given him a first team chance yet, especially when they are likely going to be moving on from a couple guys anyway.

I honestly think my biggest concern with the USMNT right now is whether GGG is good enough and that he doesn't hold them back.  That said, with how good they've looked in those previous friendlies with such a short time together to train was very reassuring.  I hope he "gets out of the way" enough to let them do their thing.  The biggest thing is getting the roster right, which he appears to be doing.
I usually subscribe to the get out of the way philosophy but I am cautious right now because the team is so young and roles are not yet identified clearly.

I am guessing 4 years from now the team will be much more settled and the next coach will have to focus on minor adjustments, mixing in new players etc.  GGG likely has a much bigger job since formations and players roles are not set yet, due to a combination of youth and no real games to play.

Yep.

Between him and Alvarez, we have some elite potential up front. I think Alvarez still has a higher chance to join USMNT. Either one would be a huge catch.

I keep checking in on Balogun because he looks so damn good and his statistics are insane. I still don't understand how Arsenal hasn't given him a first team chance yet, especially when they are likely going to be moving on from a couple guys anyway.
It would be fascinating if he and Dike both chose to play for Nigeria.

gianmarco said:
As you keep up with MLS far more and go against that inherent bias of Europe > MLS, looking at those lineup options, it looks so strong.  Who from MLS would get consideration above those guys at this point (after winter transfers to Europe of some top guys) other than Matt Turner?
not the most scientific method, but some quick short-hand:  the last MLS Best XI had four Americans - Morris (knee inj), Aaronson (now in Europe), McKenzie (now in Europe) and Walker Zimmerman.

Does Zimmerman crack this defender list?  Possibly- he definitely wouldn’t start though. 

This has done a bit under the radar but NY Red Bull has now acquired two young American prospects from Celtic.  Cameron Harper and Andrew Guttman (this was via a loan from Atlanta who had his rights)

This is exciting for Weston.  He subbed in for the last 20 minutes and is playing in the 30 minute extra time.

3-3 right now, and Porto are down to 10 men.  15 minutes to go before pk's

Didn't work out how they thought...  How did Juve let in that free kick goal?  I guess they didn't have anyone lying on the ground behind the wall as is de rigur these days.

This is not 100% official but it looks like Concacaf mistakenly released the US roster before it was announced.

================================

Alex ✶✶✶✶

@amcalabrese12

Here is the full #USYNT Roster for Olympic Qualifying:

GK - Marcinkowski, Freese, Ochoa

FB - Araujo, Vines, Herrera

CB - Kessler, Glad, Pineda

DM - Yueill, Perea

CM - Mihailovic, Johnny, Dotson

WF - Lewis, Saucedo, Llanez

CF - Ferreira, Soto, Michel

This is not 100% official but it looks like Concacaf mistakenly released the US roster before it was announced.

================================

Alex ✶✶✶✶

@amcalabrese12

Here is the full #USYNT Roster for Olympic Qualifying:

GK - Marcinkowski, Freese, Ochoa

FB - Araujo, Vines, Herrera

CB - Kessler, Glad, Pineda

DM - Yueill, Perea

CM - Mihailovic, Johnny, Dotson

WF - Lewis, Saucedo, Llanez

CF - Ferreira, Soto, Michel
* Even ignoring all of the age eligible big names missing (Weah, Pulisic, Dest, Adams, Robinson, McKenzie, Aaronson, Gio, Sargent, Hoppe, Musah, Weston, Dike, Richards, Reynolds, Konrad etc etc), these names jump out at me as being notables missing for various reasons:

Robinson (Miles), Bello, Lennon, Ebobisse, Pepi, Amaya, Tessman, Trusty

* From a quick look, we have only 2 players that are both in season and actively playing on this roster: Johnny and Saucedo.

* I would consider this a C+/B- level squad.  While it is far from a 1to1 comparison, if we can qualify for the Olympics going this deep into the pool, I will have nothing but positive thoughts for WC qualification with the main squad.

* It feels like the strength will be a front 3 of Uly - Soto(or Jesus) - Lewis

* With a severe lack of any creativity in the midfield, I expect a large portion of the attack will be generated from Yueill hitting his signature long diagonal balls to the wing.   If the other teams recognize this early and just stick some one on Yueill to shut that window down, it will be interesting to see how the team reacts.

Absolute Chelsea

@AbsoluteChelsea

Christian Pulisic 'doesn't want to create any problems' with his situation at #Chelsea and will wait until the end of the season to see his future. If his situation continues, he will be 'one of the candidates' to leave in the summer. [@FabrizioRomano via @podcastherewego]

Absolute Chelsea

@AbsoluteChelsea

Christian Pulisic 'doesn't want to create any problems' with his situation at #Chelsea and will wait until the end of the season to see his future. If his situation continues, he will be 'one of the candidates' to leave in the summer. [@FabrizioRomano via @podcastherewego]
Duh.  Not a lot of players are content to get paid beacoup $ and be a sub at age 22.

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

3m

JORDAN SIEBATCHEU "Yes, I have decided. I made my choice a few weeks ago. I will be very happy to play for the USMNT. I am very focused right now with YB and hope to play with the national team -- if that possibility is presented."

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

3m

JORDAN SIEBATCHEU "Yes, I have decided. I made my choice a few weeks ago. I will be very happy to play for the USMNT. I am very focused right now with YB and hope to play with the national team -- if that possibility is presented."
Last I heard...a while ago...he only wanted to play for France. While he may not make the team, this is very good news.

Last I heard...a while ago...he only wanted to play for France. While he may not make the team, this is very good news.
Yup, more players is better.  I think he might still be age eligible for the Olympics too as I think the Covid delay increased the age to 24 (or I might just be making that up :) )

Here is the Olympic Qualifying schedule and TV information.

US vs Costa Rica: March 20, 7:00pm eastern FS2, TUDN

US vs Dominican Republic: March 23, 7:00pm eastern FS1, TUDN

US vs Mexico: March 26, 11:00pm eastern FS1, TUDN

Aaronson vs SK Polten

So much to love.  He plays mistake-free.  Lots of creativity.  Lots of involvement. 
A lot in there... loving this kid.

The sequence of plays where the other team just threw their hands up in the air and said #### it- just rugby tackle the kid.

I didn't see him enough like you guys in MLS, but his feet didn't strike me as being as happy and quick as they are now. Even his runs seem more quick and more explosive now.

He did just miss maybe too many final balls that would have led to clear scoring chances... But only just. He has catapulted himself directly into usmnt discussion with his play in Europe.

A lot in there... loving this kid.

The sequence of plays where the other team just threw their hands up in the air and said #### it- just rugby tackle the kid.

I didn't see him enough like you guys in MLS, but his feet didn't strike me as being as happy and quick as they are now. Even his runs seem more quick and more explosive now.

He did just miss maybe too many final balls that would have led to clear scoring chances... But only just. He has catapulted himself directly into usmnt discussion with his play in Europe.
Yeah, he could have had 3-4 more assists but for a few inches/feet on a couple balls.

Whoever came up with the analogy of the unorthodox 40 year old in the rec basketball league that no one can guard is spot on and I think of it all the time with him now.

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

With the goal, @JoshSargent now sits tied for fifth on the #USMNT's @Bundesliga_EN goal scoring list:

Thomas Dooley (20)

Fabian Johnson (18)

Christian Pulisic (13)

Timmy Chandler (12)

John Brooks (11)

Josh Sargent (11)

Defender!

Also one of my all-time favorite Nats.
He was a defensive midfielder back in the Bundesliga.  He switched to a CB late in his career,  I loved him too.

I happened to be at his very first practice for the nats.  This was back when no one knew who the team was and you could literally walk right up to them during practice and watch.  I sat on the bench :)

He spoke very little English and yet instantly took over the practice with his leadership.

With Bora speaking in his own language (which was some weird mash up of 5 different languages), it was a riot to watch.

Sargent subs out after 71 minutes.  Werder is up 2-0 and Armenia is down to ten men. 

If Werder hold on for the 3 points they open up a very solid 11 point gap from the relegation zone and likely will be safe.

On Frabrizo Roman's podcast today he said that Juventus will be making some significant changes this summer to the roster and intend to build the team around Chiesa and Weston.

Things move too quickly sometimes :) .  At the beginning of this season I would have said it was Chelsea who wanted to build around Pulisic and Weston would be the one looking for a new team.

I guess we will see tomorrow if the roster Concacaf posted was correct

========

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

U.S. Soccer will announce final 20-player roster for the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship Thursday at 2 p.m. ET

Desert_Power said:
Hit the post again. I thought he looked the most dangerous going forward we've seen in weeks.
With Morris out for a long time, and Gio mired in a severe slump, I wonder if GGG would consider moving Dest further up the field.....

He looks so natural at the RW spot in that play you linked and the one position we have more depth in than any other is at RB.

With Morris out for a long time, and Gio mired in a severe slump, I wonder if GGG would consider moving Dest further up the field.....

He looks so natural at the RW spot in that play you linked and the one position we have more depth in than any other is at RB.
I love the idea.  With the depth at RB and the fact that he was a winger when he was younger.

Users who are viewing this thread