What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (11 Viewers)

What a roller coaster ride. He was injured, and gonna be slowly brought along. Then he blows up and single handedly is winning games for fantasy owners. Now, he's been figured out. Its a real concern heading into the fantasy playoffs. Are you guys benching him down the stretch?
For those of us with Matt Jones and Danny Woodhead on our bench in a non-PPR, not so much.

In a league with Jeremy Hill, I'm considering it.
Woodhead outscored Gurley this week in PPR. Jones might too depending on what happens tonight.

I'm going down with the ship. :kicksrock:
There's definitely a risk in benching him and the Rams remembering he's pretty damn good and he goes off on your bench.

I have no idea what to do with him. The production and usage says he's a Must Sit. The talent says Must Start.

Kid should be in the HOF already for averaging nearly 5 ypc playing for that sewer of an offense. Not a single other playmaker on that entire offense and that includes that offensive line.

Here's a new wrinkle. Rams just fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti. Could this mean a renewed emphasis on Gurley now?

I'm hoping this kid isn't big play dependent.
And you guys crushed me for this post.
Because it was, and still is, the dumbest post I've ever read.
:lol: All I did was raise a concern that he was only producing weekly based on big runs and that it is hard to count on big runs. Meanwhile everyone else in here was saying he's RB1 ROS. That his talent will always break a big run so not to worry about stuffing the line of scrimmage, Game-flow, or all his 1 and 2 yard runs. Pretty funny to read all the posts in here after my post. Bunch of short-sighted fanboys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, good news is he has Detroit and TB coming up next. Should be able to run on those teams. But he isn't what we thought he was, what he was being teased as being, midseason when he was getting some throws out of the backfield in addition to the carries. I don't mind a 40-yard rushing game every once in a while if you can add in a few catches. With my first-round bye, I plan to roll him out against TB and then bench him W16 @Sea if my other guys are healthy.
Tampa's run defense is first in the NFL in yards per attempt at 3.5, 7th in yards per game, and their longest run against is 21 yards (also best in the NFL).

F it. I'm gonna start him for sure now. Lions' D is playing better but they're not a great team so hopefully game is close and new coordinator comes in with a plan to feature their best player.

I don't really have any other options. Need one of Duke, Langford, Hyde, and Gurley (ppr). Hoping that is a much tougher decision for the next 5 years, and feel good about that, but I'm a little worried about the rest of the way here. Let's just keep those life vests nearby, bucky

Heartbreaking to see a dynamo like this stuck in a terrible situation. The Rams already did this to Steven Jackson and now they're doing it to Todd Gurley.

I thought they'd give Gurley more than 9 carries for a home game, even if they were going to lose. You know, give the fans something to cheer about and stuff. I guess I was expecting too much. Maybe the new OC will get the message to run the ball more.

Sebowski said:
Man, what are you looking for? A pat on the back? Your comment was off base then and it is off base now. He is Oline and quarterback dependent. Just like every running back in the NFL.
That's not necessarily true. In recent memory I can remember Gore and Tomlinson off the top of my head tearing it up early on without either. I like Gurley, but you fan boys are just making excuses.

Sebowski said:
Man, what are you looking for? A pat on the back? Your comment was off base then and it is off base now. He is Oline and quarterback dependent. Just like every running back in the NFL.
That's not necessarily true. In recent memory I can remember Gore and Tomlinson off the top of my head tearing it up early on without either. I like Gurley, but you fan boys are just making excuses.
You mean like the 3.6 ypc Tomlinson had his rookie year or the 11 games he had with less than 3.6 ypc.

Sebowski said:
You mean like the 3.6 ypc Tomlinson had his rookie year or the 11 games he had with less than 3.6 ypc.
I said early on, not rookie year. Still, I drafted him as my rb1 his rookie year and made it to the playoffs, so the production was there.

Sebowski said:
I said early on, not rookie year. Still, I drafted him as my rb1 his rookie year and made it to the playoffs, so the production was there.
Kinda unfair to compare Gurleys rookie year to LTs 2nd or 3rd dont you think? Gurleys production was there too until recently. LT was a compiler that rookie year, he got over 300 carries, largely due to San Diegos defense keeping them in games. The most they lost by was 10 points that year. Gurleys got the perfect storm of not only the offensive cast being incredibly bad but the defense sucking as well.

Sebowski said:
Kinda unfair to compare Gurleys rookie year to LTs 2nd or 3rd dont you think? Gurleys production was there too until recently. LT was a compiler that rookie year, he got over 300 carries, largely due to San Diegos defense keeping them in games. The most they lost by was 10 points that year. Gurleys got the perfect storm of not only the offensive cast being incredibly bad but the defense sucking as well.
He is grasping at straws with his argument. Anyone with half of a brain knows their situations are not similar. Besides, Gurley doesnt suck. Last I checked he was averaging 4+ per carry. Including last week's dismal offensive showing. It has been mainly chill in here so the haters like to stir things up and attention seek.

Going to have to play him this week with CJ and Lynch hurt. Not expecting much more than we've seen over the last two weeks, but hopefully the new OC gets creative with his usage.

Going to have to play him this week with CJ and Lynch hurt. Not expecting much more than we've seen over the last two weeks, but hopefully the new OC gets creative with his usage.
If he gets 15-20 touches (which he should) and is used in the passing game (which he should be), I think he's a lock for 10+ points as his floor in PPR. A grade school kid playing Madden for the first time could figure this out.

"Seven of our 12 games, we've scored 13 points or less. So we're going to move in a different direction under the guidance of Rob. That's gonna include our philosophy, which is to run the football, convert third downs and play the pass and be aggressive."
:thumbup:

Squintz82 said:
"Seven of our 12 games, we've scored 13 points or less. So we're going to move in a different direction under the guidance of Rob. That's gonna include our philosophy, which is to run the football, convert third downs and play the pass and be aggressive."
:thumbup:
It's really sad this has to be emphasized when Gurley is your running back.

I guess Rob Boras has a history of coaching offensive line and tight ends. He has done a terrific job thus far.

The roster construction by snead and Fisher has mostly been used to build the defense. They have drafted several RB with high draft picks as well with one premium pick at the offensive line that hasn't really panned out as they hoped yet. Austin is a good player but the other WR picks haven't really worked out.

Part of the reason for the roster construction was based on them having Bradford at QB.

While the philosophy of Fisher should help Gurley to get a lot of opportunity, it also comes with a poor supporting cast around him and not very good offensive coaching to develop QB or WR.

The Rams can't convert on third down right now. It's not even that they're insisting on passing it, it's that they aren't running many plays because Foles and those receivers are freaking awful. Teams are not afraid of the pass at all and are loading everybody up to stop one player.

I think the offensive line problems wouldn't completely hold down Gurley if Foles could make defenses honest whatsoever but he hasn't.

Does the coaching change and quote above sway anyone's opinion on his startability?

I'm still leaning towards benching him against a stout Lions run D (starting Peterson and Rawls at RB instead, and flexing Amendola), but this newfound promise to be committed to the run gives me major pause.

I'm fortunate to have a bye this week. I can see how they will use him before I decide to bench him in my flex for David Johnson going forward.

OC is saying the right things at his presser today:

http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/read.php?5,619594,619594

BORAS: (On if there is a hope to get RB Todd Gurley more touches even if it’s in the passing game)
“Without a doubt. Todd’s a special player. We have a number of special players on offense. Todd’s obviously, probably the best. Between Todd and (WR) ‘Tav’ (Tavon Austin), we’ve got special guys. Yeah, for that to happen, obviously, it’s got to be the type of game where we can keep handing him the ball. He’s too good a player.”

30 touches

220 YFS

3 TDs
:goodposting:

That would certainly make up for the last two weeks.

He should be locked into 15-20 touches this week and if that's the case I think he has a double-digit point floor in PPR (assuming he's used in the passing game like he should be) regardless of the matchup. If the game is close and they go Full Gurley we've certainly seen him go off against good defenses and ones loading up trying to stop him. I'm probably feeling more confident than I should given the last two weeks but he's locked into my starting lineup this week.

Locked into my lineup for this week, and likely next week as well. Excited to see if the new OC and renewed commitment to get him the ball makes a difference.

It should be noted I am on a bye this week, but I definitely think this is the bounce back week.

30 touches

220 YFS

3 TDs

He should be locked into 15-20 touches this week and if that's the case I think he has a double-digit point floor in PPR (assuming he's used in the passing game like he should be) regardless of the matchup. If the game is close and they go Full Gurley we've certainly seen him go off against good defenses and ones loading up trying to stop him. I'm probably feeling more confident than I should given the last two weeks but he's locked into my starting lineup this week.
to be honest i haven't had a reason to review pregame coaches comments to check for gurley comments until this week.... so did the rams coaches say the same thing about getting gurley the ball more prior to last weeks game too?

30 touches

220 YFS

3 TDs

to be honest i haven't had a reason to review pregame coaches comments to check for gurley comments until this week.... so did the rams coaches say the same thing about getting gurley the ball more prior to last weeks game too?
Not that I saw. I think most people just assumed they wouldn't be so amazingly stupid and remove him from the game plan two weeks in a row.

Whoops.

Was benching him for Buck Allen, but I put Gurley back in despite the stinkers he's put up. Ride the horse that got you there...

Users who are viewing this thread