What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (2 Viewers)

Fingers crossed he brings Callahan in with him

callahan built the foundation of the Dallas line too right? Has HC experience as well

He can't. The Redskins would deny any interview request, I assume. Even if McVay offered him a promotion to OC (which would be unwise, and I'm not sure Callahan is interested in it at this point in his career. He's failed over and over again when he does more than coach the OL and he's older now) it wouldn't matter, because only a HC interview must be granted. 

He can't. The Redskins would deny any interview request, I assume. Even if McVay offered him a promotion to OC (which would be unwise, and I'm not sure Callahan is interested in it at this point in his career. He's failed over and over again when he does more than coach the OL and he's older now) it wouldn't matter, because only a HC interview must be granted. 
Did not know that about the interview process. 

Nice one

Gurley is such an interesting case. 

I understand the buy low take, but what are the chances things actually turn around for him over the next two seasons? I doubt it's more than 50%. 

It's hard to argue his talent, but this situation is just so bad. 

Gurley is such an interesting case. 

I understand the buy low take, but what are the chances things actually turn around for him over the next two seasons? I doubt it's more than 50%. 

It's hard to argue his talent, but this situation is just so bad. 
3 seasons ago, you could say the same for someone like hopkins

I don't fully disagree with your opinion, but I like to think that true talent will eventually find a way

Probably the best result for Gurley fans with McVay.  He did a great job in Washington and if he can get Goff even up to Cousins' level and the OL to perform like WAS OL was Gurley should have a lot more space to run.
Disagree with this completely. I think this is a complete disaster in the works. I'd sell Gurley if I had him... 

Sucks for Gurley to have his prime completely wasted, potentially

Nice point you raised and he's already been denied trying to interview Dolphins OL coach for OC gig. I actually thought you could only deny a coach wanting to make a lateral move, but as you pointed out and we just saw with the Dolphins coach not the case.

Disagree with this completely. I think this is a complete disaster in the works. I'd sell Gurley if I had him... 

Not sure how it could be much more of a disaster from this year.  While I have no clue what McVay will be able to do it really can't be worse than what Fisher did and with that Gurley still had RB2 value in PPRs.    

dkp993 said:
Not sure how it could be much more of a disaster from this year.  While I have no clue what McVay will be able to do it really can't be worse than what Fisher did and with that Gurley still had RB2 value in PPRs.    
But he's being valued as a top 3 rb. He needs a huge improvement to justify the price and the situation is still really bad for the foreseeable future. They need 5 lineman, 2 wrs and a qb. Plus I expect a McDaniels type flameout for a way too young coach. And having Wade Phillips, who was horrible as a head coach, won't help.

But he's being valued as a top 3 rb. He needs a huge improvement to justify the price and the situation is still really bad for the foreseeable future. They need 5 lineman, 2 wrs and a qb. Plus I expect a McDaniels type flameout for a way too young coach. And having Wade Phillips, who was horrible as a head coach, won't help.
Not sure about top 3, Zeke, DJ and Bell are valued higher than him in the leagues I see. That next wave, who would you take over him in a dynasty?

Not sure about top 3, Zeke, DJ and Bell are valued higher than him in the leagues I see. That next wave, who would you take over him in a dynasty?
Some people have him over Bell with the drugs. Rb is a wasteland so it's hard to say where to rank him. But I've seen him valued as a top 10 startup and worth 3 solid first round picks. I think that's crazy given last year and the bad situation he's in.

Some people have him over Bell with the drugs. Rb is a wasteland so it's hard to say where to rank him. But I've seen him valued as a top 10 startup and worth 3 solid first round picks. I think that's crazy given last year and the bad situation he's in.
Some people who rank him over Bell are on drugs. :hophead:

No way in hell I would ever do a straight up trade of Bell for Gurley in any league format. And if I offered Gurley to the Bell owners in the two leagues I own him I would laughed at.

Dr. Brew said:

Does that late first offer you sent me still stand?

I want this guy so badly.

The lowest the guy will take for him, is Mike Evans. Which, isn't even a discussion. Bah.

One thing to think about. The Rams had 4203 total yards this season. That is the lowest amount in the past 5 seasons of the league. During that time the NFL avg is around 5600. If you believe McVay can just get them to average then you have an extra 1400 yards of offense to work with.

Interesting stat. How much did other teams that finished statistically in the same tier as the Rams improve the year after? And of those teams how many started a 2nd year QB? 

Interesting stat. How much did other teams that finished statistically in the same tier as the Rams improve the year after? And of those teams how many started a 2nd year QB? 
Yea is it an interesting stat, mainly just how it shows how bad the Rams offense was, I mean 700 yards away from second worst. I noticed the same worst two teams this year were the same worst two teams last year, San Fran and LA.

Hard to find teams in same tier as Rams, they are in their own sort of lower bowl tier. But Tennessee might be best comp. They were 30th in 2015 in yards, went up about 700 yards or so in 2016 and moved to 11th in Mariotta's second year. But again to show how bad the Rams are if they move up 700 yards like Titans did they would still be last.

Here you go.

Bottom 5 offenses over last 5 seasons (including  2016 Rams).

2012 Arizona – Wisenhunt – 4209 yards – QB Skelton, Kolb, Lindley and Hoyer
2013 Arizona – Arians – 5542 yards – QB Carson Palmer

2013 Tampa Bay – Schiano - 4432 yards – QB Glennon and Freeman
2014 Tampa Bay – Smith  - 4672 yards – QB McCown and Glennon

2014 Oakland – Allen - 4515 yards – QB Carr
2015 Oakland – Del Rio – 5336 yards – QB Carr

2014 Jacksonville – Bradley – 4634 yards – QB Bortles
2015 Jacksonville – Bradley – 5581 yards – QB Bortles

Here you go.

Good stats.  Unfortunately I fear they have more in common with Tampa Bay.....

Here you go.

The jump the Cardinals made included some free agent offensive linemen that along with Palmer were key to turning that offense around.

The Tampa Bay example only shows an improvement of 250 yards

The other 2 examples seem more similar, with a young improving QB in their second season.

The Jacksonville example, they threw for 1100 more yards and ran for 160 less when comparing 2014 to 2015.

The Oakland example they threw for 604 more yards and ran for 217 more yards, mostly with Murray instead of using 3 RB as they did in 2014.

I think expecting the Rams to produce average yardage totals in one year may be too optimistic. They need serious improvement of their offensive line and they do not really have the receivers that Jacksonville and the Raiders had to support the QBs improvement.

What I do think is reassuring about Gurley is that he was more involved as a receiver in 2016 than he was as a rookie. He doubled his targets while only playing in 3 more games. So if that continues, he might end up with more receptions and receiving yards in 2017 which could coincide with an increase in passing yards, The Rams threw for less than 3000 yards collectively. I could see Goff pushing that to 3500 even if he continues to be bad.

The thing that bothers me is how Gurleys yards per carry dropped from his rookie season. The offense in 2015 was also bad, but Gurley was able to overcome it, but not so in 2016. To me that points more towards Gurley than anything else. 

Was Gurley playing through an injury or something that might explain why he didn;t play as well?

Maybe there is a tipping point of bad that Gurley can't overcome. How much worse was the 2016 Rams O vs the 2015 version?

The jump the Cardinals made included some free agent offensive linemen that along with Palmer were key to turning that offense around.

The Tampa Bay example only shows an improvement of 250 yards

The other 2 examples seem more similar, with a young improving QB in their second season.

The Jacksonville example, they threw for 1100 more yards and ran for 160 less when comparing 2014 to 2015.

The Oakland example they threw for 604 more yards and ran for 217 more yards, mostly with Murray instead of using 3 RB as they did in 2014.

I think expecting the Rams to produce average yardage totals in one year may be too optimistic. They need serious improvement of their offensive line and they do not really have the receivers that Jacksonville and the Raiders had to support the QBs improvement.

What I do think is reassuring about Gurley is that he was more involved as a receiver in 2016 than he was as a rookie. He doubled his targets while only playing in 3 more games. So if that continues, he might end up with more receptions and receiving yards in 2017 which could coincide with an increase in passing yards, The Rams threw for less than 3000 yards collectively. I could see Goff pushing that to 3500 even if he continues to be bad.

The thing that bothers me is how Gurleys yards per carry dropped from his rookie season. The offense in 2015 was also bad, but Gurley was able to overcome it, but not so in 2016. To me that points more towards Gurley than anything else. 

Was Gurley playing through an injury or something that might explain why he didn;t play as well?
Was he getting hit by 3 people in the backfield every carry.....in 2015?

Alex P Keaton said:
Was he getting hit by 3 people in the backfield every carry.....in 2015?
It's an interesting comparison because the Rams' backup RBs had a lot more success in 2016 than they did in 2015.  In 2015 Mason/Cunningham barely cracked 3ypc on over 100 carries and Gurley was still able to find success behind that line.  In 2016 Cunningham averaged 4.8ypc (albeit on a much smaller sample size). 

It's an interesting comparison because the Rams' backup RBs had a lot more success in 2016 than they did in 2015.  In 2015 Mason/Cunningham barely cracked 3ypc on over 100 carries and Gurley was still able to find success behind that line.  In 2016 Cunningham averaged 4.8ypc (albeit on a much smaller sample size). 
And, I assume, running out of shotgun in passing situations much of the time. That's like free yardage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew74 said:
Maybe there is a tipping point of bad that Gurley can't overcome. How much worse was the 2016 Rams O vs the 2015 version?
Maybe.

I just think the offensive line was pretty bad in 2015 too, so that doesn't really explain it for me.

Maybe.

I just think the offensive line was pretty bad in 2015 too, so that doesn't really explain it for me.
I've said this earlier in this thread I believe, but maybe elsewhere.   Either way,  I have watched every Rams snap over the last few years and have been watching football intently my entire adult life (41 now).   I've never seen anything like a saw last year from our O-line.    Play after play after play Gurley would get handed the ball take 1 step and get hit by 2 or 3 dudes.   It was unreal.    I believe his prior to contact yardage was like 1.4 or something god awful like that.    Now I will also say that the last 3 or 4 games of the year it was clear as day he was frustrated and tired of running into walls.  His effort didn't look the same and lots of holes were missed, so it's not 100% on the line but its a massive percentage.

Now I will also say that the last 3 or 4 games of the year it was clear as day he was frustrated and tired of running into walls.  His effort didn't look the same and lots of holes were missed, so it's not 100% on the line but its a massive percentage.
I'm somewhat glad to hear that because I didn't see much of Gurley but watched one of those games near the end and thought he looked absolutely horrid.  Not a lot of running room but when there was he didn't take advantage of it at all.

Hopefully that was just him being frustrated though even that isn't ideal, but still better than the alternative.

I've said this earlier in this thread I believe, but maybe elsewhere.   Either way,  I have watched every Rams snap over the last few years and have been watching football intently my entire adult life (41 now).   I've never seen anything like a saw last year from our O-line.    Play after play after play Gurley would get handed the ball take 1 step and get hit by 2 or 3 dudes.   It was unreal.    I believe his prior to contact yardage was like 1.4 or something god awful like that.    Now I will also say that the last 3 or 4 games of the year it was clear as day he was frustrated and tired of running into walls.  His effort didn't look the same and lots of holes were missed, so it's not 100% on the line but its a massive percentage.
While you don't like to hear about a player giving up, or not giving their all, I appreciate your perspective about that, and it is a pretty human reaction to get frustrated, go on tilt and not do as well as you would normally, or have before.

Do you see this as just a one year thing? WIll the changes to the coaching staff be enough to bring back the 2015 Gurley, even if the offensive line isn't much improved?

I am a Vikings fan so I can relate to poor offensive line play. The main problem with bad offensive line personnel, is that it usually takes time for rookie linemen to develop into good starters, and to develop they need to play, the only other option is to improve through free agency, however when a team fills their starters with older veterans, it is more of short term band aid type of fix, than a long term solution, that can come from the draft.

All of that is to say it may take awhile before Gurley sees significantly better blocking than he has.

I felt like I saw the same thing, only earlier than last 3 or 4 games and I was a little disappointed when they axed Fisher he still seemed uninspired.   I would describe it almost as running looking to get tackled instead of running to gain yards.

It's not a non-issue when this happens, it's better than talent being the issue but it's not nothing either.  An everydown RB in the NFL needs to be mentally tough and he failed to display that to me last season. I think he needs to get pushed harder to be honest. I recall that line from Fisher last year saying something like no one better hit #30 and basically treating him like the way you treat a QB. Maybe that mentality seeped into Gurley's head, maybe he's running in a fashion that is more about preservation than production? Did being the face of the teams move to LA make him feel a bit to entitled? I don't know, but I thought his effort sucked last season. What  I don't think is from a pure talent he's Trent 2.0 or something but I do think he needs to get pushed harder.

I'll add I own him a lot and offered him in exactly zero trade. In other words I'm a lot more confident of a rebound than what we saw last season and believe moving him now is simply selling low, at least relative to the unsolicited trade offers I've got for him.

Biabreakable said:
While you don't like to hear about a player giving up, or not giving their all, I appreciate your perspective about that, and it is a pretty human reaction to get frustrated, go on tilt and not do as well as you would normally, or have before.

Do you see this as just a one year thing? WIll the changes to the coaching staff be enough to bring back the 2015 Gurley, even if the offensive line isn't much improved?

I am a Vikings fan so I can relate to poor offensive line play. The main problem with bad offensive line personnel, is that it usually takes time for rookie linemen to develop into good starters, and to develop they need to play, the only other option is to improve through free agency, however when a team fills their starters with older veterans, it is more of short term band aid type of fix, than a long term solution, that can come from the draft.

All of that is to say it may take awhile before Gurley sees significantly better blocking than he has.
I'm hoping it's more of a one-year fluke thing but I can't answer that definitively.  I'm massively disappointed in how he reacted to the struggles and would've like to seen more maturity and effort to cosign on the one-year fluke deal.  But with that said I do think the coaching change could infuse a bunch of life into the offense as a whole and with the starting point being so low there really is nowhere to go but up.

As a fan and Gurley owner I'm pulling for it as hard as possible but would be lying if I said I was anything less than nervous. 

menobrown said:
I felt like I saw the same thing, only earlier than last 3 or 4 games and I was a little disappointed when they axed Fisher he still seemed uninspired.   I would describe it almost as running looking to get tackled instead of running to gain yards.

It's not a non-issue when this happens, it's better than talent being the issue but it's not nothing either.  An everydown RB in the NFL needs to be mentally tough and he failed to display that to me last season. I think he needs to get pushed harder to be honest. I recall that line from Fisher last year saying something like no one better hit #30 and basically treating him like the way you treat a QB. Maybe that mentality seeped into Gurley's head, maybe he's running in a fashion that is more about preservation than production? Did being the face of the teams move to LA make him feel a bit to entitled? I don't know, but I thought his effort sucked last season. What  I don't think is from a pure talent he's Trent 2.0 or something but I do think he needs to get pushed harder.

I'll add I own him a lot and offered him in exactly zero trade. In other words I'm a lot more confident of a rebound than what we saw last season and believe moving him now is simply selling low, at least relative to the unsolicited trade offers I've got for him.
Agree completely.  I said it time and time again accountability was Fisher's biggest downfall.  He was a players coach to the extreme and the team was the most penalized team year after year.  The lack of discipline was astounding and it's entirely possible, likely probable, that a player like Gurley needs someone to push and challenge him to bring out his best. 

I too own him and wouldn't trade him for fair market value.  The talent is too high and the possible advantage he could provide my team in a thin RB market is to simply to much to give up on.   

Re-ranking the 2015 RB class: The Todd Gurley conundrum

Excerpt:

3) Todd Gurley, Los Angeles Rams

Originally drafted: Round 1, No. 10 overall. 

The need to explain away Gurley's disastrous second season is mystifying. The short version goes like this: The Rams' offense was run by paste-eating middle schoolers, and Gurley had no chance. No further analysis necessary.

Gurley's 278 carries tell a different story. At least four to five times each game, Gurley had daylight to work with. He often ran up the backs of his offensive linemen or was arm-tackled. If Gurley's game isn'tabout making defenders miss, then he'll need to run through defenders more often. He simply didn't show the same burst, second effort or power that he did in his Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign. The Rams coaching staff noticed, often taking him out of the game in key situations or failing to give him the ball late with the lead.

For a window into Gurley's season, let's travel to Seattle last December. On fourth-and-1 inside the Seahawks' 10-yard line early in the game, Gurley got the ball on a pitch to the left. He had his choice of multiple lanes and elected to take on Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner, only needing to gain a few inches with a full head of steam. Wagner stood him up cold and eventually pushed Gurley backward with some help. It was an example of Wagner's greatness, but Gurley also should have made the play.

Of course the season wasn't all Gurley's fault. The criticism of the Rams' passing game and offensive line was accurate. Still, that's not the point. Gurley was supposed to be a transcendent talent, the kind of player who should make his teammates look better. Try to imagine Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders or even Corey Dillon carrying the ball 278 times with a 3.2 yards-per-carry average and only two runs over 20 yards, even with lousy offenses around them. Something was wrong.

Trying to explain Gurley's down season: This is the part where it's reallytempting to play amateur psychologist and guess what was in Gurley's mind or heart last season, to interpret those shakes of the head or the lackluster runs in garbage time. I went into this exercise hoping to see something positive from Gurley, but aside from his occasional light feet and graceful glide, it just wasn't there. At his best out of the I-formation, Gurley was The Franchise, until quarterback Jared Goff -- who is more comfortable out of the shotgun -- came along as the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. How to split the difference is up to new coach Sean McVay.

McVay should help considerably by modernizing the offense. Gurley could bounce back on the strength of big plays as a top running back, and no one would be surprised. He showed that much talent as a rookie. This ranking is reflective of Gurley righting himself as a solid starter. But Gurley has to show himself to be a different player this year, to recognize that his sophomore slump was about more than his teammates. Otherwise, it will be time to trust what Gurley shows on Sundays over those scouting reports from the 2015 draft season.

Can he be saved or is this Trent Richardson again
I think the answer is in the last statement of the post above you.

Otherwise, it will be time to trust what Gurley shows on Sundays over those scouting reports from the 2015 draft season.

We've seen both head of this monster.  His rookie year he looked great despite the dumpster fire around him.  Last year he contributed to the fire.  Could just be that he checked out (moderate concern), could be that the blocking was so bad he just lost all confidence and got the yips trying to just not get killed (moderate concern), could be he's just not as good as we thought (disaster).  I tend to think the latter isn't the case, because he did look so good as a rookie.  Unlike Richardson that never looked good once he hit the NFL, Gurley totally looked the part as a rookie.  Richardson also had a lot more help in terms of blocking and scheme creating opportunities that he just failed to capitalize on.  Gurley's rookie year he took advantage of those chances much better.

2017 is definitely make or break for him (and us owners).  I tend to believe.  I was offered Melvin Gordon and 1.14 in a 16 man and declined because what we saw his rookie year is the kind of upside you can't replace.  I'll gamble on that every time.  If McVey can being even a portion of the improvement WAS had to LAR Gurley will be just fine.  People forget that Gurley was a functional RB2 last year as-is.  Yes, at his price we expected far more, but at the same price Richardson was far less, as has been Watkins and so many more.  If RB2 is the floor for him in a trainwreck year, I'm still in.

I think the answer is in the last statement of the post above you.

Otherwise, it will be time to trust what Gurley shows on Sundays over those scouting reports from the 2015 draft season.

We've seen both head of this monster.  His rookie year he looked great despite the dumpster fire around him.  Last year he contributed to the fire.  Could just be that he checked out (moderate concern), could be that the blocking was so bad he just lost all confidence and got the yips trying to just not get killed (moderate concern), could be he's just not as good as we thought (disaster).  I tend to think the latter isn't the case, because he did look so good as a rookie.  Unlike Richardson that never looked good once he hit the NFL, Gurley totally looked the part as a rookie.  Richardson also had a lot more help in terms of blocking and scheme creating opportunities that he just failed to capitalize on.  Gurley's rookie year he took advantage of those chances much better.

2017 is definitely make or break for him (and us owners).  I tend to believe.  I was offered Melvin Gordon and 1.14 in a 16 man and declined because what we saw his rookie year is the kind of upside you can't replace.  I'll gamble on that every time.  If McVey can being even a portion of the improvement WAS had to LAR Gurley will be just fine.  People forget that Gurley was a functional RB2 last year as-is.  Yes, at his price we expected far more, but at the same price Richardson was far less, as has been Watkins and so many more.  If RB2 is the floor for him in a trainwreck year, I'm still in.
I like that they brought in the line coach from Buffalo as well. its a shame they could not get the centre too LA too

I like that they brought in the line coach from Buffalo as well. its a shame they could not get the centre too LA too
Yeah they took a lot of steps, they also added a very good veteran LT also in Whitworth, so really there aren't many excuses left.  There was a big focus on how antiquated/conservative Fisher required his former OC's to be, and it really handcuffed them, so it limited who was willing to go work for him and they didn't get any true coaching talent as a result.

I am not going to say 2k or bust, but marked improvement is definitely expected.

2015 Gurley's rookie year he wasn't pressing to be great, and just showed what he could do.  Which was very impressive to anyone with eyes.  The guy looked great.  

2016 he was trying too hard and any athlete will tell you, that's when things go south.  He just needs to play instead of trying to take the whole team on his shoulders and he'll be fine.  A better supporting cast will allow him to do that.  

ESPN Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez cautions Todd Gurley could have a smaller role in the passing game this season.
Gurley more than doubled his rookie catch total with 43 last season, but Gonzalez expects that number to fall under new coach Sean McVay, who wants Lance Dunbar to be his new Chris Thompson. Lead backs did not see a ton of targets under McVay in Washington, but neither Alfred Morris nor Rob Kelley is known for his hands. The best offensive weapon they have, it seems foolish for the Rams to take Gurley off the field more than the have to, especially after he showed last season he can be effective as a receiver. Even so, this concern is yet another dent to Gurley's fantasy value.

Source: ESPN 
May 30 - 9:14 AM

2015 Gurley's rookie year he wasn't pressing to be great, and just showed what he could do.  Which was very impressive to anyone with eyes.  The guy looked great.  

2016 he was trying too hard and any athlete will tell you, that's when things go south.  He just needs to play instead of trying to take the whole team on his shoulders and he'll be fine.  A better supporting cast will allow him to do that.  
Let me know when they get that

Can he be saved or is this Trent Richardson again
Trent Richardson in the NFL never looked close to as awesome as Gurley did in 2015. 

Having said that, Gurley was on my avoid list last year, and he is on it again this year.  I just don't trust that team to get it together on offense or him to flourish.  Granted, going from Jeff FIsher to anybody has to be good for an offense, but I am not wasting a 2nd round pick on a RB who needs too much to go right with a new coaching staff and an o-line for him to put up great numbers again. 

Users who are viewing this thread