What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (3 Viewers)

Want him so badly, but the owner wont sell. I cant overpay because despite his talent, there is too much risk w his current team. He wont udnersell cuz he knows his talent.

Brutal

Want him so badly, but the owner wont sell. I cant overpay because despite his talent, there is too much risk w his current team. He wont udnersell cuz he knows his talent.

Brutal
What did you offer? If you don't mind me asking. 

What did you offer? If you don't mind me asking. 
Haven't made an official one. BUt we're a group of 12 buddies since the days of high school.. so we text or chat in person. 

He's wanting elite #1 WRs, of which I have a few... but in a PPR dynasty, Im not willing to give up those guys for Gurley ONLY because of who he plays for, and the much shorter shelf life of RBs

I'm torn really... Everyone wants Mike Evans from me, but he's 100% untouchable. Not for anyone. Maybe Zeke... But otherwise, no

Haven't made an official one. BUt we're a group of 12 buddies since the days of high school.. so we text or chat in person. 

He's wanting elite #1 WRs, of which I have a few... but in a PPR dynasty, Im not willing to give up those guys for Gurley ONLY because of who he plays for, and the much shorter shelf life of RBs

I'm torn really... Everyone wants Mike Evans from me, but he's 100% untouchable. Not for anyone. Maybe Zeke... But otherwise, no
I love Gurley but for Mike Evans he'd need too add significantly more to the offer. 

Gurley is a strange case because his situation so bad. You can see his runs at the end of the season he looks like a rookie back that is trying to make too happen. This is extremely worrisome but with a new coach and OL maybe he relaxes a bit and goes back to running the ball properly. As I said before, I love Gurley so I'm biased but that OL ruined him. I've never seen an OL that bad. I don't think he was running scared as much as he was just trying to make something happen.

But how do you put a proper price on him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was offered Melvin Gordon and 1.14 in a 16 man and declined because what we saw his rookie year is the kind of upside you can't replace.  I'll gamble on that every time.  If McVey can being even a portion of the improvement WAS had to LAR Gurley will be just fine.  People forget that Gurley was a functional RB2 last year as-is.  Yes, at his price we expected far more, but at the same price Richardson was far less, as has been Watkins and so many more.  If RB2 is the floor for him in a trainwreck year, I'm still in.

Wow. As a Gurley owner, I'd take that deal without hesitation.
As a reluctant Gurley owner, I whole heartedly agree.  I took over an orphan which was fairly week at RB and was offered Gurley and 2.7 for T.Y. Hilton.  I thought it was good value even though I was never a Gurley fan and accepted. 

I drafted Gordon over Gurley in one of my leagues.  My only hesitation in accepting Gordon straight up for Gurley now if it were offered is Gordon's injury history.  If I got offered Gordon and any 1st, I'd take it immediately.

I have since tried to trade Gurley.  As a reluctant Gurley owner, I offered Gurley, Boyd and Chad Williams for Lamar Miller (I have Foreman), Maclin and Mike Williams and was turned down even though Maclin and Williams are likely bye week players for him this season.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Funny what a difference a year makes...end of 2015 no way u even consider gordon for gurley
Yeah, as much as people claim to be looking at talent level with a long term view in dynasty leagues, many have the redraft mentality that never goes away. This is a general observation not trying to call anyone out. 

Funny what a difference a year makes...end of 2015 no way u even consider gordon for gurley
True, though it is worth noting the deal offered was Gordon and 1.14 for Gurley. IMO 1.14 was more valuable than usual this season.

And that is basically why I didn't take it.  I'm willing to go down with the ship if necessary, but making this trade based on one year would kill me if things turned back around.  I would much rather be wrong about something that be right but bail on it for mainstream thought process and get burned.  I alluded to this earlier but here's something that just keep resonating for me:

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/32219/jeff-fishers-failure-to-adapt-on-offense-led-to-coaching-demise

The wide-open philosophy wasn’t working but, perhaps more importantly, Fisher wasn’t comfortable with it. If nothing else, his ground-and-pound approach would at least keep him in his cocoon of mediocrity, allowing him to always offer the promise of turning the corner but never delivering.

So Fisher went back to what he knew. And he got the same old middling results.

... when he went searching for new coordinators, he had trouble getting anyone of note to interview, let alone consider making the move.

The outside concern was an obvious fear that working for Fisher would mean being beholden to his outdated offense and ending up out of a job, perhaps even before Fisher himself.

It’s why Fisher ended up promoting the likes of quarterback coach Frank Cignetti and tight end coach Rob Boras to the job. It wasn’t so much that Fisher didn’t want to hire from outside as he was unable to land an attractive candidate who would be given the freedom to upgrade and update the offense.

I just gotta see what McVay can do here.  If he can just get Goff to play at a Flacco level that will be prevent the sellout defenses currently do to stack the run game up.  It was pretty absurd how badly teams just didn't fear that passing game and just pressed the inside running game.

Yeah, as much as people claim to be looking at talent level with a long term view in dynasty leagues, many have the redraft mentality that never goes away. This is a general observation not trying to call anyone out. 
I think a person's long term view can change a lot after one year.

I think a person's long term view can change a lot after one year.
Perhaps, but at the risk of arguing over semantics, I think that if a long term view changes from year to year it's not really a "long term view".
Completely disagree. Your definition of a long term view seems to be you establish that view up front and it must remain fixed no matter what new information is learned.  :loco:

Completely disagree. Your definition of a long term view seems to be you establish that view up front and it must remain fixed no matter what new information is learned.  :loco:
Yeah, perhaps I'm not making myself clear. I just see a lot of knee jerk type reactions based on one season sometimes. Admittedly there were people that backed Gordon over Gurley right from the beginning, but for the most part the consensus had Gurley as the elite talent and Gordon with the question marks. After their rookie seasons, the disparity likely grew even more. Last season Gordon had a great fantasy year (and Gurley didn't) but there are some signs that Gordon's production may not be sustainable, and some signs that things may turn back around for Gurley, yet the groundswell is now moving in Gordon's direction as the better fantasy RB based purely on 2016.

Of course things should be re-evaluated from season to season (things change quickly), but sometimes dynasty values move even more quickly than they should based on a "down" year or a "career" year while ignoring all other factors.

I just see some dynasty rankings change too much from season to season, to the point they are basically just re-draft rankings that account for age. Sure, digging in your heals and still trying to convince the world that Christine Michael will be the next great RB is just as bad (or worse).

I had this stiff last year, NEVER again. And I don't want to hear about stacked boxes against him. Lots of backs face that. He couldn't run through a stiff breeze. 

I had this stiff last year, NEVER again. And I don't want to hear about stacked boxes against him. Lots of backs face that. He couldn't run through a stiff breeze. 
This is what I don't understand. He ran though stacked boxes in 2015. Is there no reason to consider an improvement this year?

This is what I don't understand. He ran though stacked boxes in 2015. Is there no reason to consider an improvement this year?
I said the same thing about Trent Richardson when he left Cleveland.  Rookie put up 1000 yards and 11 TDs, surely he has to get back to that old form.  Nope. 

Gurley could be one of the biggest steals in fantasy in 2017. 

Let's see what we have to back that up...

A. He has the Talent, look at his college career and his rookie season. 

B. His team has made significant efforts to improve the offensive lines, one of the biggest issues last year. 

C. They got rid of Mr. 7-9 who was a horrible coach 

D.  they have improved the talent at WR, including one of the top Blocking WR's in the league 

E. word from multiple sources is that the QB is making good strides. If he can just be DECENT, Gurley will be in a better place. 

FBG's have him ranked as a top 10 back for redraft, and a top 5 back for Dynasty, and yet is is being drafted below this range. I have added him in most leagues, and I think he will be a player you see on allot of championship teams this year. 

I love that people a simply scared away from him, and don't look at the FACTS. That's how you get a value. 

5/56 receiving line is a sight for sore eyes.

Obviously you would like to see more points in a blowout and there was still a 2016-ish 7 carries for 15 yards stretch, but Goff looks much better. 

Arrow is pointing up. 

It was a blowout but the offense only scored 3 TDs.  I guess the good news is NFL.com says they only scored 24 all last season.  So they are on double the pace this year.  That's good.

2ypc is not good.  

With the offense looking more dynamic, maybe they'll improve over the course of the season.  I'm trying to be optimistic.

i've been pretty bullish on him, but there's one owner in my league who is desperate to get him.  

gunshy is is a bad trait in a football player. 

what would you take in a trade for Gurley at this point?

The receptions are nice but Gurley will not be afforded a better game script for the rest of his career and still somehow only managed 40 yards on the ground. That's kind of scary.

I wonder how often he faced stacked boxes today and if IND at all adjusted with Goff throwing on them.

The receptions are nice but Gurley will not be afforded a better game script for the rest of his career and still somehow only managed 40 yards on the ground. That's kind of scary.

I wonder how often he faced stacked boxes today and if IND at all adjusted with Goff throwing on them.
Below is what I posted in the ram/Indy game thread in response to Gurley concerns....

No doubt.  But the colts sold out on the run challenging Goff to beat them and he did.

Still the one thing that looked worrisome to me is the run blocking looks no better.   Hopefully with the new WR corps teams will start to respect then passing game and stop stacking the box. Today's game can only go towards helping that

I feel the same. He had some nice power finishes and decent wiggle when he had the Space and semi decent blocking.

playcalling is way better then last year it seems, goff looked pretty damn good. Not sure if Indy D is that bad or rams O as a whole has improved a lot or a combo of both. I'm thinking more of a combo. 

He also had a really nice outside run to the right in the first quarter I believe. Looked fast and decisive. I believe he gained 10-12 yards but was called back on a stupid hold on the opposite side of the field    I liked what I saw in general, had the game script been different (Rams defense not scored so many points) I think Gurley would've had a much better game. He was pulled for almost the entire 4th. 

Do the Rams just suck at run blocking really bad then? I didn't see he had much room and he often made the best out of a bad situation.
This is likely. I'm seeing the same problem with Abdullah right now who saw similarly light fronts and spent too much time behind the LOS. 

Malcolm Brown I believe. 

Not handcuffing. If I didn't love Gurley I wouldn't be involved with this offense. 
Curious if this week changed your view at all? I'm weak at RB and he's my 1 so debating Brown as a handcuff.

Getting some trade interest my way for this guy ...

have any of you owners traded him recently? Traded for him? Witnessed trades in your league?

trying to gauge his value - a couple of the other owners have nice pieces that I would consider, neither have made an offer though.

have any of you owners traded him recently? Traded for him? Witnessed trades in your league?

trying to gauge his value - a couple of the other owners have nice pieces that I would consider, neither have made an offer though.
He's a odd one. FBG still have him as pretty much a top 5 dynasty RB but good luck fetching that in return. I'm a sucker and loved him at Georgia and traded up for him in my startup last year, but I would move him for value no question. A WR1 or top QB without thinking. I believe in his talent, but that OL is just atrocious. I know it sounds apologist, but it was a re-run of last year with guys in the backfield at the handoff 50% of the snaps. 

The only glimmer of hope is that it can't get worse than last year when he was a middling RB2. And the upside is still there. It might have to wait until his next team or who knows maybe they trade him to a contender for picks before his contract ends. Seems to happen a lot more in today's NFL (see Cooks). Could see Ozzie making some phone calls.

The line wasn't great in Week 1, but I'm a believer in what McVaybwill do for this offense long term.  I'm a buyer at the right price, but wouldn't be selling for a QB.

If you're looking to sell, wait for the value bump he gets for destroying the Redskins defense this week. He's gonna run wild. 

If you're looking to sell, wait for the value bump he gets for destroying the Redskins defense this week. He's gonna run wild. 
Lol ... yea that sounds great, but uhm

he had the dream matchup last week - and he disappointed. I know he didn't play much in the 4th, but he also didn't run well with his early chances.

looked good catching the ball - but he looked pretty bad with his carries. For a supposed top RB ... he should be able to create more on his own.

i want to sell

Lol ... yea that sounds great, but uhm

he had the dream matchup last week - and he disappointed. I know he didn't play much in the 4th, but he also didn't run well with his early chances.

looked good catching the ball - but he looked pretty bad with his carries. For a supposed top RB ... he should be able to create more on his own.

i want to sell
If the Colts defense has a strength, it's the interior DL and their ability to slow down a running game. To be fair. 

If the Redskins defense has a strength, it's that they only have to play 15 more times this year. 

Seriously, they can't tackle and they don't like to tackle guys who run hard like Gurley. He's going to do some damage. Oh, and we can't defend at all against RBs catching passes, something he did well week 1.

If the Colts defense has a strength, it's the interior DL and their ability to slow down a running game. To be fair. 

If the Redskins defense has a strength, it's that they only have to play 15 more times this year. 

Seriously, they can't tackle and they don't like to tackle guys who run hard like Gurley. He's going to do some damage. Oh, and we can't defend at all against RBs catching passes, something he did well week 1.
Nice post ...

the "colts strength" on defense is a bit of a reach - but I get your point.

ill hold out for another week. 

I do trust in McVay to make the best of Gurley. 

Ray Barboni said:

I bought him today in one of my 12 team PPR dynasty leagues. Gave Perine and what should be a late 1st for Gurley. 

I dunno gents. I feel that the time to buy low is now on gurley. The stench of last year is still thick and the regime change hasn't fully kicked In to high gear yet. 

The new WR corp and goff getting better will only help. 

Users who are viewing this thread