What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (3 Viewers)

Watching Gurley this year makes me want to look up Fisher and punch him in the face.
:thumbup:   Oh, Fo Sho, Fisher and his cronies had no offensive imagination on how best utilize Gurley's RB talents.  Hell, they had no resources for Goff to start building his foundation skills. 

anyone backing him up with Malcolm Brown for just in case
You think he is the true handcuff? From what I have seen if Gurley goes down I think it would be a committee with Tavon taking the passing down 3rd down work and possibly malcolm for first and second.....otherwise a hot mess like AZ backfield once DJ went down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ahartig said:
You think he is the true handcuff? From what I have seen if Gurley goes down I think it would be a committee with Tavon taking the passing down 3rd down work and possibly malcolm for first and second.....otherwise a hot mess like AZ backfield once DJ went down. 
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/761244-gurley-owners-how-important-is-malcom-brown/

Just came in to pose the same question.  Thinking they've got a poor man's Gurley clone to drop right in.  If TG went down, Tavon would keep being Tavon and Malcom Brown would slide in and offer pretty close to what Gurley can do for the O.  The ff results may not be as nice, but pretty close and offers the same versatility.  Brown is pretty underrated.  He'd be starting for a lot of teams and one of the better drop-in handcuffs out there in this situation.  

I may have to trade this guy after all. Injuries have hurt the end of my starting lineup. Will look for a combination of a couple starters for Gurley. 

Any homers know why they have stopped using him the way they were early on?  Targets are gone and he comes out on third down now, the last 2 plus today. Very odd considering the success he was having. 

Any homers know why they have stopped using him the way they were early on?  Targets are gone and he comes out on third down now, the last 2 plus today. Very odd considering the success he was having. 
He comes out sometimes on third. But honestly his prior snap count was unsustainable. The was a have Brown was hurt when he never came off field. 

Meanwhile the headline was that TD run. Jump cut in backfield, stiff arm turning the corner, then fires up the jets to end zone.

Not sure what equivalent of five tool playern is in running backs but he's it. 

flapgreen said:
I may have to trade this guy after all. Injuries have hurt the end of my starting lineup. Will look for a combination of a couple starters for Gurley. 
No luck. Probably for the best. People are still stuck on his value last year and where he was taken this year.  Ride him to the championship. Sure would've been nice if I could've had David Johnson in there with him. :kicksrock:

No luck. Probably for the best. People are still stuck on his value last year and where he was taken this year.  Ride him to the championship. Sure would've been nice if I could've had David Johnson in there with him. :kicksrock:
Oh man. I’m in the same boat with DJ. Having both of them would have been ridiculous. 

That TD run was spectacular and he looked really good today. 

Oh man. I’m in the same boat with DJ. Having both of them would have been ridiculous. 

That TD run was spectacular and he looked really good today. 
Maybe just as good as that TD was solid run blocking and his inside running. In second half when they knew what was coming he was ripping ahead and knifing for 6-8 yard gains like it was nothing. 

Maybe just as good as that TD was solid run blocking and his inside running. In second half when they knew what was coming he was ripping ahead and knifing for 6-8 yard gains like it was nothing. 
This. 

Last year he would have been running into walls. Consistent yardage. 

I'm considering a trade for Todd Gurley,  but couldn't help but notice that brutal playoff schedule.   Any cause for concern?

Wk 13:  #5 - Philadelphia

Wk 14:  #8 - @Seattle 

Wk 15:  #18 - @Tennessee

Is he to the point of matchup proof yet?  Last time he played the Seahawks, he only produced 50 yards of offense  (TD reversed).

I'm considering a trade for Todd Gurley,  but couldn't help but notice that brutal playoff schedule.   Any cause for concern?

Is he to the point of matchup proof yet?  Last time he played the Seahawks, he only produced 50 yards of offense  (TD reversed).
Absolutely not! You definitely don’t sit studs during the playoffs. Through my own experience most of them perform at a high level during that time of year. During the playoffs I start my studs regardless of the opponent.

Tex

Not a problem if they keep him involved in the passing game.

So Dunbar the clear backup? Anyone grabbing him or not worth it?

Amazing the difference a year makes with TG and this offense.

So Dunbar the clear backup? Anyone grabbing him or not worth it?

Amazing the difference a year makes with TG and this offense.
In redraft sure. 

I'm dynasty, I'm struggling dropping Brown, who isn't 100% done for the year and might have 2018 value on another team.

Trying to make room for Dunbar but he could only be a 3-4 game insurance policy. 

In redraft sure. 

I'm dynasty, I'm struggling dropping Brown, who isn't 100% done for the year and might have 2018 value on another team.

Trying to make room for Dunbar but he could only be a 3-4 game insurance policy. 
I’m redraft, assume there would still be good value unless RBBC but Dunbar I believe got all the extra carries last week. 

GoBirds said:
I’m redraft, assume there would still be good value unless RBBC but Dunbar I believe got all the extra carries last week. 
The problem is they have yet to IR Brown. If he does go to IR then I think Dunbar basically is the new handcuff. But until/if they make permanent decision on Brown's 2018 Dunbar is a wild card. 

Really not sure what's happening here. At least he's getting some receptions. 
I’m a Gurley owner too and would love more action but the plan makes total sense.  The strength of the New Orleans D right now is it’s D line.  Why fight against that and you can take it advantage of the corners.  

I’m a Gurley owner too and would love more action but the plan makes total sense.  The strength of the New Orleans D right now is it’s D line.  Why fight against that and you can take it advantage of the corners.  
How about now? Still passing up 10

Keep doing what’s working.  Last thing we need to do is turtle up and run a few 3 & outs.  Get first downs and keep the Hall of Famer off the field.  
I'm not saying run a few 3 & outs. I'm saying balance it out and eat up the clock. :shrug:

But they just beat a good Saints team so it's working now. Will need to run more toward end of season and playoffs. 
I agree with that for sure.  Just in this game it was a bad matchup, but you are absolutely right, the run game is and will be crucial to the wins going forward.  

:thumbup: Music to my ears... Despite being green / rookie in being head coach, I applauded him for recognize the need for his best playmaker more touches especially when need to sustain the lead and time possession.

Credit McVay for openly admitting he's been getting away from Gurley too often, even if the game script and opposing defenses offer viable excuses. Self-scouting is among the most difficult and yet vital parts of NFL coaching. The best teams work on understanding their own tendencies as much as an opponent's trends.

:thumbup: Music to my ears... Despite being green / rookie in being head coach, I applauded him for recognize the need for his best playmaker more touches especially when need to sustain the lead and time possession.

Sure.  In private.  I don't know why he has to say anything publicly.  It's like talking while playing poker - it rarely is a good idea.

You left out the most important part though.

"Going back to the New Orleans game and the last couple weeks, you can definitely look at that," McVay said. "I look at myself and say, you've got to make sure you're cognizant of giving the runs a chance and trying to stay balanced. That's something I haven't done. You can't keep standing up here and saying the same things. You've just got to get it fixed.

The real question is do we have another Andy Reid here?  Saying it continuously means squat.  Getting it done is what we care about. 

Hankmoody said:
You left out the most important part though.

"Going back to the New Orleans game and the last couple weeks, you can definitely look at that," McVay said. "I look at myself and say, you've got to make sure you're cognizant of giving the runs a chance and trying to stay balanced. That's something I haven't done. You can't keep standing up here and saying the same things. You've just got to get it fixed.

The real question is do we have another Andy Reid here?  Saying it continuously means squat.  Getting it done is what we care about. 
His offense did this in Washington too, though most of the blame fell on Gruden.  Definitely put McVay in Reid's group of coaches who get too enamored with their clever passing schemes and don't want to "settle" for 4.5 yards and a cloud of dust.

Users who are viewing this thread