What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (5 Viewers)

lol you were the only who willingly responded to my post from Silva.  I then ask you to defend something YOU wrote and now all of a sudden it's a waste of time to respond.  It's cool - I am 100% certain now that you aren't capable of defending your opinion about Gurley.  
You’re struggling to understand my “regretting replying to you” part I see. It’s cool - I’m 100% certain I couldn’t care less about what you think I’m capable of.  

I’m done derailing this thread and I apologize to all for my engagement here.  I should have known better. 

Cameron DaSilva‏Verified account @camdasilva

Follow Follow @camdasilva

More

Wondering what the difference between the Rams' and Cowboys' run defenses were on Saturday? Look how often each loaded the box with 8+ defenders (via Next Gen Stats) Ezekiel Elliott: 40% CJ Anderson: 17.39% Todd Gurley: 6.25%

5:39 AM - 14 Jan 2019

The only reason Gurley ever does anything is because McVay spreads the offense out.  He faced one loaded box the entire night.

CJ Anderson 66 carries, 422 yds, 6.39 ypc.  <$1m salary

Todd Gurley 272 carries, 1366 yds, 5.02 ypc.  ~$14.5m salary
Three common opponents:

CJ Anderson 70 rush/rec, 439 yds, 6.27 ypt

Todd Gurley 59 rush/rec, 277 yds, 4.69 ypt

I even included Gurley's receptions to boost his average up 🤔

It cracks me up that Todd Gurley could tear his ACL in practice and Vegas wouldn't move the spread for this week's game a single point.  The "best" RB in the league is literally worth ZERO points over his replacement.  Bookmakers are willing to accept millions of dollars in wagers on the notion that Gurley has no added value over a RB that was cut by two terrible teams this year.  The fact that people still defend his value after I pointed that out is simply mind boggling.
Other than Goff or maybe Donald - which single player loss for the Rams would move the line?

Other than Goff or maybe Donald - which single player loss for the Rams would move the line?
Nobody (if more than one OL were out it could impact the spread).  Their offensive success is largely due to an elite OL and McVay being a genius.  Plus, we have a sample of both Goff and Gurley being horrific in systems other than McVay's.

Professional bettors bet numbers, not names.  If Gurley truly had a value over his replacement RB, the market would shift and that never happened in the two games he was out.

I don't care what people think of me or how I present my opinion,  but shouldn't someone as "great" as Gurley add some value to his team - even if it's only an extra FG per game?  That's simply not the case.  

Blake Bortles has more marginal value over his replacement than Gurley does his. 🤷‍♂️

Nobody (if more than one OL were out it could impact the spread).  Their offensive success is largely due to an elite OL and McVay being a genius.  Plus, we have a sample of both Goff and Gurley being horrific in systems other than McVay's.

Professional bettors bet numbers, not names.  If Gurley truly had a value over his replacement RB, the market would shift and that never happened in the two games he was out.

I don't care what people think of me or how I present my opinion,  but shouldn't someone as "great" as Gurley add some value to his team - even if it's only an extra FG per game?  That's simply not the case.  

Blake Bortles has more marginal value over his replacement than Gurley does his. 🤷‍♂️
Then basically what you're saying is outside of the QB, no players actually matter. Does that sound like a reasonable position?

Then basically what you're saying is outside of the QB, no players actually matter. Does that sound like a reasonable position?
I think he's saying that for the Rams specifically, and with the personnel they have. 

I don't agree with his overall point about Gurley but as a compulsive gambler the point he's making is actually fairly sound. If guys like Zeke or Tyreek or MT or Barkley or AB or Kelce or Kamara miss time the line would probably move. 

I don't agree with his overall point about Gurley but as a compulsive gambler the point he's making is actually fairly sound. 
What overall point don't you agree with?  Vegas is a lot smarter than I am and they have concluded he literally has no value over his replacement.  That means he is vastly overrated.  Other RBs like Barkley and Elliot will move a line.  That additional fact means he can't be the best RB in the league.  

What overall point don't you agree with?  Vegas is a lot smarter than I am and they have concluded he literally has no value over his replacement.  That means he is vastly overrated.  Other RBs like Barkley and Elliot will move a line.  That additional fact means he can't be the best RB in the league.  
I like how you take the Vegas information for a single game and inflate that to mean that he cannot be the best player in the league and is vastly overrated.  That's cute.

A different person would look at this information and say that in the context of the Saints vs the Rams on Sunday, January 20, 2019, there is very little difference between the expected outcome of the game whether or not Todd Gurley plays.  This can have any number of meanings for future games, or none at all.   I lean toward the latter.

I like how you take the Vegas information for a single game and inflate that to mean that he cannot be the best player in the league and is vastly overrated.  That's cute.

A different person would look at this information and say that in the context of the Saints vs the Rams on Sunday, January 20, 2019, there is very little difference between the expected outcome of the game whether or not Todd Gurley plays.  This can have any number of meanings for future games, or none at all.   I lean toward the latter.
:lmao:  my Vegas information is not for a single game. Everything in your post is wrong because you made a terrible assumption.  

:lmao:  my Vegas information is not for a single game. Everything in your post is wrong because you made a terrible assumption.  

It cracks me up that Todd Gurley could tear his ACL in practice and Vegas wouldn't move the spread for this week's game a single point.  The "best" RB in the league is literally worth ZERO points over his replacement.  Bookmakers are willing to accept millions of dollars in wagers on the notion that Gurley has no added value over a RB that was cut by two terrible teams this year.  The fact that people still defend his value after I pointed that out is simply mind boggling.

And the NFL conference championships have a massive betting handle.  An inefficient line by even half a point can invite a large amount of unwanted exposure for the books.  If I was forced to pick one game besides the Super Bowl that signifies how invaluable Gurley is, it would absolutely be this game against the Saints.

That was a single example that RBs rarely have any effect on the spread.  You could have asked me to clarify instead of assuming.

That was a single example that RBs rarely have any effect on the spread.  You could have asked me to clarify instead of assuming.
Well, rereading this ####show, I now see that you are on a fantasy football board talking about players value in relation to how they affect gambling outcomes.  The isn't a 1:1 correlation between the two, so it really doesn't matter that the vast majority of the fantasy football world has Gurley pegged as the #1 RB in the league while the gambling world is run by a complete different set of rules.

Do you think if Gurley tore his ACL during the preseason, the Rams Win Over-Under line would be adjusted at all?
That's a good question.  I would think some because of the public perception of a player like Gurley, but it wouldn't be significant - perhaps half a game.  

The Steelers win total this year was still high, but that situation isn't really applicable since it was assumed Bell would be playing.  

Do you know a high profile RB who had a season ending injury before the season started?  

Well, rereading this ####show, I now see that you are on a fantasy football board talking about players value in relation to how they affect gambling outcomes.  The isn't a 1:1 correlation between the two, so it really doesn't matter that the vast majority of the fantasy football world has Gurley pegged as the #1 RB in the league while the gambling world is run by a complete different set of rules.
Yes, Gurley is the benefactor of an incredible OL and system.  RBs are overrated when talking about real football (or gambling).  Not really sure why that triggers people so easily.  

Gurley as the primary back in McVay's system is an incredible FANTASY football player.  Volume, goal line opportunities, game scripts, play designs... all work in his favor.

Yes, Gurley is the benefactor of an incredible OL and system.  RBs are overrated when talking about real football (or gambling).  Not really sure why that triggers people so easily.  

Gurley as the primary back in McVay's system is an incredible FANTASY football player.  Volume, goal line opportunities, game scripts, play designs... all work in his favor.
Well, you are badmouthing a player on a fantasy football website.  I think you need to be more mindful of your audience.

Well, you are badmouthing a player on a fantasy football website.  I think you need to be more mindful of your audience.
What are you talking about? I told people to pick up CJ Anderson in Gurley's absence and he helped win a lot of crucial fantasy playoff matchups.  Having a basic understanding of a team's strengths playing the actual game of football goes a long way in winning fantasy football. 

More importantly he was guessing that the line wouldn’t move if Gurley was out this week.  There is no such in or out line this week as he’s in.  The Only game there was, was the 49er game where he was expected to play and sat at the last minute. And this line didn’t move is his case. But Gurleys impact on that game wasn’t necessary for them to win or effect the final score. In the Gurley in line Vegas could’ve very easily been factoring in an early lead in that late season game and Gurly getting sat. The point is who knows what factored in to Vegas is lines pre-and post Gurley for that specific game.  One theory could be what he is proposing, but there are others. 

I for one was shocked to see "round, brown, and low to the ground"* out produce Gurley last week.  Make me question how much of Gurley's success is system based.

*Stealing this from a local AA radio host.

More importantly he was guessing that the line wouldn’t move if Gurley was out this week.  There is no such in or out line this week as he’s in.  The Only game there was, was the 49er game where he was expected to play and sat at the last minute. And this line didn’t move is his case. But Gurleys impact on that game wasn’t necessary for them to win or effect the final score. In the Gurley in line Vegas could’ve very easily been factoring in an early lead in that late season game and Gurly getting sat. The point is who knows what factored in to Vegas is lines pre-and post Gurley for that specific game.  One theory could be what he is proposing, but there are others. 
I literally posted a quote from one bookmaker who said RBs have no value.  It's amazing how much time you spent making up stuff here just to try to discredit my opinion.  

tjnc09 said:
I literally posted a quote from one bookmaker who said RBs have no value.  It's amazing how much time you spent making up stuff here just to try to discredit my opinion.  
You didn't present it as an opinion.  You presented it as a fact, and implied that only a moron could disagree with this gospel truth.

Todd Gurley - RB -  Rams

Rams coach Sean McVay said Todd Gurley will "be a big part of this game."

Gurley touched the ball just five times in the NFC Championship game. He blamed being "sorry as hell" and not his knee for the limited workload, but it is difficult to believe his lingering left knee injury was not a contributing factor. With another two weeks to heal, Gurley should be ready for a bigger role this Sunday, especially considering how the Patriots have struggled at times to cover running backs in the passing game.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 

Jan 29 - 11:11 AM

Profootball doc speculates on Gurley

From the article above:

My suspicion, based on video review, is he has tendonitis, perhaps of the patella tendon. Video did not show a play with traumatic injury. And his frequent trips to the exercise bike and use of heat would support the tendonitis analysis. If it was structural, wear and tear or related to his ACL, he likely would not take those courses of action.

Patella tendonitis is something he will play through, and I expect a performance closer to the division round than championship game.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but he hasn’t been listed in the injury report for over month right? How can that be?
There’s an advantage to having the opponent’s Defense prepare all week for Gurley, when he’s actually gimpy/change-of-pace. Call it cheating or call it gamesmanship, the NFL does zilch about fraudulating the injury report (unless it’s the Patriots, of course).

There’s an advantage to having the opponent’s Defense prepare all week for Gurley, when he’s actually gimpy/change-of-pace. Call it cheating or call it gamesmanship, the NFL does zilch about fraudulating the injury report (unless it’s the Patriots, of course).
for sure. I would not be surprised at all if the Pats didn't even sell out to stop Gurley in preparation for this game, knowing he was probably injured

Would whoever snuck Jeff Fisher back into the Rams' organization kindly come clean up your mess?
Actually felt much more like Mike Martz 2.0.  Belichick took McVay to the woodshed and McVay bought his own hype and went away from what got us here.  Gurley.  

Wade Phillips and the D should be proud though.  

It’s a shame how the year ended. All this talk of Gurley being JAG because CJA ran through some 7 foot holes. Limited use to finish the year. Will all overshadow one hell of an MVP type year. 

Now that I think about it, maybe it’s good because I’m not picking in the top half of my draft so keep the overreaction coming 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually felt much more like Mike Martz 2.0.  Belichick took McVay to the woodshed and McVay bought his own hype and went away from what got us here.  Gurley.  

Gurley failed on the biggest stages of his career.  You, @Bucky86, and the whole world got to see how overrated he is two weeks in a row.  

The Martz loss was one of the biggest SB failures ever. Right there with the Falcons and Seattle. All 3 should have won but failed at coaching. However the Rams back then were such a powerhouse that it took extra effort to suck so bad as to lose to a weak Patriots team.

Is it really injury or coaches dog house? Have to think he tore something weeks ago they were hoping would heal but hasn’t? His usage was inexcusable for any team not trying to lose. 

Todd Gurley rushed 10 times for 35 yards in the Rams' Super Bowl LIII loss to the Patriots.

Gurley's mystifying usage continued, as he was absent from the field for long stretches at a time. This, even as the Rams' offense could get absolutely nothing going. Coach Sean McVay insisted time and again that Gurley is healthy, but that is clearly a lie. Although Gurley’s MVP candidacy was never more than hot take fodder, he did become just the second player since 2012 to post a 20-touchdown season. Gurley now has 40 scores over the past two years. Thanks in part to a pair of injuries, Gurley was not the same down the stretch. He tweaked his ankle in the Rams’ 54-51, Week 11 win over the Chiefs before aggravating an early-season knee issue in December. Whatever was going on with Gurley's health down the stretch, it should not be a concern for 2019, where Gurley will be the most sensible choice at No. 1 overall in fantasy drafts.
I seriously question the underlined.

He looked pretty good running the ball. There was the nice 16 yard run and another 12 or 13 yard run with a phantom holding call. He just didn’t get the touches and was nonexistent in the passing game once again. Think that’s the biggest head scratcher. Goff getting rushed like he was and no Gurley short passes. 

He looked pretty good running the ball. There was the nice 16 yard run and another 12 or 13 yard run with a phantom holding call. He just didn’t get the touches and was nonexistent in the passing game once again. Think that’s the biggest head scratcher. Goff getting rushed like he was and no Gurley short passes. 
Poor coaching and ability to adjust to what is coming at ya. Game was too big for Goff and McVay at this point in their careers

Users who are viewing this thread