What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (4 Viewers)

Opinion from a LICENSED MEDICAL DOCTOR.  I would love to know how many of the posters speculating about an alleged injury are also licensed medical doctors.

Rams' Todd Gurley seemed underutilized, not unhealthy

However, I think Gurley was healthy and that the Rams were not being deceitful by removing him from the injury report.

In-game stats had him as the fastest player on the field at 19.8 miles per hour. Yes, this is straight-line speed, and one could theorize that his cutting ability was hampered. But in my experience, you simply can’t be that fast and be injured.

After resting in weeks 16 and 17 and in the bye week to start the playoffs, Gurley had 16 carries for 115 yards (7.2-yard average) and a touchdown in the Rams’ playoff victory over the Cowboys. That is not the production of an injured player.

[@NextGenStats  Todd Gurley didn't seem bothered by his knee injury today. @TG3II averaged 12.08 MPH at the line of scrimmage on his rushes, his fastest in a game this season. He had 6 carries reaching 15+ MPH, a season high.]

The Rams have been relatively forthcoming regarding injuries under head coach Sean McVay. “Coachspeak” is commonplace, but McVay in his two seasons has been among the league leaders in telling it like it is. He has said Gurley was healthy.

But with the available information and evidence, it seems he was more limited by scheme and circumstances than by injury.

So I just read this article, this quote is amazing:

Why didn't any reporter ask the most elementary question here... Why is that Sean, why would you want to reduce Gurley for CJA? 

So Sean, do you feel Gurley and Anderson are equivalent when it comes to talent? Feels like your GM just wasted $60mm if you do. 
One of the brightest offensive minds in football and actual head coach of the two RBs being discussed agrees with me.  👍

They did waste $60mm on Gurley.  No RB in the history of the NFL will ever be worth that type of money.  

My feeling is 2 reasons.

-Todd not wanting to make excuses.  He never has before even when injured. See the first week of the year when it's reported he hurt himself....

-McVay wanting to be Belichick like and not give any competitive advantages.   Same reason pre Super Bowl he said Todd would get a heavy workload but then after said the plan all along was to split the workload with CJA.
That's the way I see it. They wanted the Pats to spend time game planning for Gurley but Belichick is way too smart for that. It was a high school coaching move vs the greatest ever. It had no chance to succeed.

Now they can't come out and say he was hurt for reasons already stated. Sso they really come off looking like chumps to a lot of people that don't believe he was hurt and thing mcVay just lost his mind because Gurley didn't get 25 touches. McVay should have spent time figuring out some tricky plays that they had never run instead. Pederson did that for the win.

One of the brightest offensive minds in football and actual head coach of the two RBs being discussed agrees with me.  👍

They did waste $60mm on Gurley.  No RB in the history of the NFL will ever be worth that type of money.  
I'll agree that $60 mil is way too much to give a RB but then giving a bum like Matt Stafford 135 million with 92 mill guaranteed is a waste at QB. it happens. No QB is worth that because it means you can't build a competitive team.

Opinion from a LICENSED MEDICAL DOCTOR.  I would love to know how many of the posters speculating about an alleged injury are also licensed medical doctors.

Rams' Todd Gurley seemed underutilized, not unhealthy

However, I think Gurley was healthy and that the Rams were not being deceitful by removing him from the injury report.

In-game stats had him as the fastest player on the field at 19.8 miles per hour. Yes, this is straight-line speed, and one could theorize that his cutting ability was hampered. But in my experience, you simply can’t be that fast and be injured.

After resting in weeks 16 and 17 and in the bye week to start the playoffs, Gurley had 16 carries for 115 yards (7.2-yard average) and a touchdown in the Rams’ playoff victory over the Cowboys. That is not the production of an injured player.

[@NextGenStats  Todd Gurley didn't seem bothered by his knee injury today. @TG3II averaged 12.08 MPH at the line of scrimmage on his rushes, his fastest in a game this season. He had 6 carries reaching 15+ MPH, a season high.]

The Rams have been relatively forthcoming regarding injuries under head coach Sean McVay. “Coachspeak” is commonplace, but McVay in his two seasons has been among the league leaders in telling it like it is. He has said Gurley was healthy.

But with the available information and evidence, it seems he was more limited by scheme and circumstances than by injury.
We’re debating whether Gurley’s playing time was limited by health factors or other factors right?

Gurley’s speed metrics rule out many injuries but are we sure they rule out inflammation or tendinitis? In my experience those are injuries that athletes experience differently day to day and even play to play. When they flare up they’re much worse so there’s incentive to manage the athlete and limit workload. It’s possible that Gurley was feeling good and that his carries were limited, at least in the first half, to keep him feeling that way. I saw Gurley visibly limping in the SB but if Gurley has knee inflammation he does not have to be impaired or slowed down for his role to change, the reduction in snaps can be precautionary.

This knee inflammation theory doesn’t exactly come out of thin air. Gurley missed week 16 and 17 because of knee inflammation. For the remainder of the playoffs Gurley never again got a full workload. This doesn’t prove that the injury lingered but it pushes the probability needle further in that direction.

The opposing arguments to Gurley having knee issues seem to center around player values and scheme. To me any argument that supposes Anderson and a healthy Gurley have similar tactical value is very shaky. And what is the magic scheme that suddenly renders CJ Anderson an equally effective or more effective football player than Gurley? As far as I could tell the Pats were putting 6 defenders on the line and daring the Rams to throw and Gurley is the better of the two RBs in the passing game. I don’t think any of those arguments make sense.

Why won’t you answer my question? 

Top 5 RBs in the NFL by talent, just list 5 names please.

I'll agree that $60 mil is way too much to give a RB but then giving a bum like Matt Stafford 135 million with 92 mill guaranteed is a waste at QB. it happens. No QB is worth that because it means you can't build a competitive team.
I can't speak about Stafford's contract, but Derek Carr was similar.  They were 12-4 in the year they made the playoffs.  They went an unsustainable 9-2 in one score games and played the easiest schedule in the NFL.  They weren't convincingly beating bad teams that year and were one of the luckiest teams I can remember.  Worked out for Carr, but it's obvious since then that contract was a huge mistake.  That's why I also don't buy the "well the GM paid them $X so they must be amazing" because there are so many exceptions to the rule.

People I pay:  

Coaches - no cap hit.  I would offer Belichick $30m annually tbh

QBs - while there are big mistakes like Stafford and Carr, the rules today are meant for a passing league.  Have no chance to compete in SB with 90% of QBs.  

offensive line - would be one of my top priorities.  

defense - both DL and secondary

don't pay:

RBs - success is too dependent on OL.  Patriots cap hit for White, Burkhead AND Michael is less than one year for Gurley.  

WRs - success is too dependent on QB.  maybe an athletic freak but only if $ is left over.  

Why won’t you answer my question? 

Top 5 RBs in the NFL by talent, just list 5 names please.
I got in trouble and took some time off.

Barkley and Elliot are the only ones I know that are valuable enough to move Vegas lines with substantial limits.  I don't put any value in things I can't quantify, so it's really those two and then everyone else.

We’re debating whether Gurley’s playing time was limited by health factors or other factors right?

Gurley’s speed metrics rule out many injuries but are we sure they rule out inflammation or tendinitis? In my experience those are injuries that athletes experience differently day to day and even play to play. When they flare up they’re much worse so there’s incentive to manage the athlete and limit workload. It’s possible that Gurley was feeling good and that his carries were limited, at least in the first half, to keep him feeling that way. I saw Gurley visibly limping in the SB but if Gurley has knee inflammation he does not have to be impaired or slowed down for his role to change, the reduction in snaps can be precautionary.

This knee inflammation theory doesn’t exactly come out of thin air. Gurley missed week 16 and 17 because of knee inflammation. For the remainder of the playoffs Gurley never again got a full workload. This doesn’t prove that the injury lingered but it pushes the probability needle further in that direction.

The opposing arguments to Gurley having knee issues seem to center around player values and scheme. To me any argument that supposes Anderson and a healthy Gurley have similar tactical value is very shaky. And what is the magic scheme that suddenly renders CJ Anderson an equally effective or more effective football player than Gurley? As far as I could tell the Pats were putting 6 defenders on the line and daring the Rams to throw and Gurley is the better of the two RBs in the passing game. I don’t think any of those arguments make sense.
The same article suggested that:

My thought is his knee inflammation was related to tendonitis, which should not have had a debilitating effect on him in Sunday’s 13-3 loss to the Patriots.

I'm forming my opinion based on a medical professional.  That does not sound like a valid reason for him to struggle.  If you have a differing opinion from a doctor, by all means, post it and I have no problem admitting I am wrong.  I personally don't understand the continued speculation he was injured simply because there is no admittance or proof he actually was against NO and NE.

Anderson had tremendous success against AZ, against SF, and again against Dallas.  I understand the preconceived notions the people here have of him, but he never once gave McVay a reason to hesitate to use him in a timeshare against NO or NE based on his experience as a LA Rams player.  The majority of teams use a RB timeshare now.  If Anderson comes in, averages 7ypc+, why wouldn't a coach try to utilize both of those talents?  If Anderson averaged 2.0ypc against AZ, SF, and DAL, then yes, it's outrageous to think he deserved playing time over Gurley in the SB.

Gurley struggled against the #2 rated run DVOA Bears as a healthy RB.  The Saints were rated #3 and had already seen him once this season.  Give Belichick two weeks against a predictable offense and he will shut almost anyone down.  I don't believe Gurley was injured, I think he ran into the Saints and Patriots who did a tremendous job defending against that offense (just like the Bears previously did).

I got in trouble and took some time off.

Barkley and Elliot are the only ones I know that are valuable enough to move Vegas lines with substantial limits.  I don't put any value in things I can't quantify, so it's really those two and then everyone else.
CMC, Kamara

both JAG?

Agree with everything you are saying here and let me add some stuff.

That 19.8 MPH fastest player on the field crutch to illustrate he's not hurt is one of the worst utilizations of a stat I've seen in quite some time. It's horrible, and I'm a little ashamed for people it got this far as a talking point. Why? Because it was on a freaking 5 yard run. His next fastest play was 16.06 on a 16 yard run. He basically had a strong burst on a short run and we'll going to just go with that?

And there is more.

Gronk,  the guy mulling retirement because he is a shell of himself, had the 5th  fastest non-return in the game. Let me put this another way, GRONK was the FASTEST timed NE Patriot skill player on any play that was not a punt or kickoff return, but if you must add returns feel free as that would make Gronk the second fastest timed Patriot in the SB trailing Cord Patterson 39 yard KO return.

And there is still more.

I think I just spent over 30 minutes in vain searching for this graph I read Monday. Can't find it. So for now, unless someone can dig it up and if so please post it, you'll have to take my word for this.

His average MPH in the Dallas game was fairly normal. I believe he had his slowest of the season against the Saints the following week. That improved just a tad in the SB but below his average.

Multiple weeks rest his average speed was fairly normal. One week rest and it dipped to what I believe was a season low, two weeks rest and it picked back up a little but still under season average. That's not enough to go on to make any kind of determination. But damn if how fast he went on a 5 yard run is the basis for saying all is good and nothing to see here then I don't think having enough to go is much of a criteria in this discussion. The multiple week rest, followed by dip with one week rest and slight resurgence with two weeks sure sounds a lot to me like a lingering issue that worsens with use and lack of rest. A lot like tendinitis.

CMC, Kamara

both JAG?
I think the majority of RBs are JAG.  The system and OL are more important to me.  Volume and scoring opportunities distort one's view of who is the best RB in the league.  I'm absolutely not discrediting how valuable Gurley has been in fantasy.  I do think his production is going to take a noticeable cut next year especially as a very high FF draft pick if Anderson is resigned. 

You put anyone else on the Rams with one of the best OL ever, a great offensive minded coach, good defense (which means more 4th quarter leads) and strong QB/WR play for more scoring opportunities and everyone in this thread would consider them the "best" RB in the league.  And we've seen that in a similar situation with the Steelers who also used a bellcow approach - Anderson and Brown did well instead of Gurley; Conner, DeWilliams, Samuels all did well instead of Bell.

I can quantify well a RB behind a certain OL against a certain defense, but in a vacuum, one would have to pull up SPARQ scores or something like that.  If Ingram leaves the Saints and CMC continues his production, they probably can be valuable enough to move spreads and I would change my opinion then. 

Agree with everything you are saying here and let me add some stuff.

That 19.8 MPH fastest player on the field crutch to illustrate he's not hurt is one of the worst utilizations of a stat I've seen in quite some time. It's horrible, and I'm a little ashamed for people it got this far as a talking point. Why? Because it was on a freaking 5 yard run. His next fastest play was 16.06 on a 16 yard run. He basically had a strong burst on a short run and we'll going to just go with that?

And there is more.

Gronk,  the guy mulling retirement because he is a shell of himself, had the 5th  fastest non-return in the game. Let me put this another way, GRONK was the FASTEST timed NE Patriot skill player on any play that was not a punt or kickoff return, but if you must add returns feel free as that would make Gronk the second fastest timed Patriot in the SB trailing Cord Patterson 39 yard KO return.

And there is still more.

I think I just spent over 30 minutes in vain searching for this graph I read Monday. Can't find it. So for now, unless someone can dig it up and if so please post it, you'll have to take my word for this.

His average MPH in the Dallas game was fairly normal. I believe he had his slowest of the season against the Saints the following week. That improved just a tad in the SB but below his average.

Multiple weeks rest his average speed was fairly normal. One week rest and it dipped to what I believe was a season low, two weeks rest and it picked back up a little but still under season average. That's not enough to go on to make any kind of determination. But damn if how fast he went on a 5 yard run is the basis for saying all is good and nothing to see here then I don't think having enough to go is much of a criteria in this discussion. The multiple week rest, followed by dip with one week rest and slight resurgence with two weeks sure sounds a lot to me like a lingering issue that worsens with use and lack of rest. A lot like tendinitis.
The guy quoting his speed is a medical doctor.  Are you a doctor?  It's wild how the same people are continuing to discredit the opinion of professionals in the medical field and Rams organization because they don't want to admit that Gurley was horrible for some really big games.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Gurley had 658 touches in the 2017-18 regular seasons and he only exceeded that mph 11 times.  His fastest mph last year vs. Atlanta was only 19.33mph.  

After a few days or gathering info on this I'm left with this opinion. And it's all just my opinion.

Gurley was dealing with slight knee issue. If needed he could have carried normal workload and just run risk of it flaring up on him and being less effective. He was bothered by a knee, if pushed it might not have hindered him more then a little. McVay did not run to push him.

CJ Anderson playing so well in the Dallas game  and being so fresh from lack of use in season made McVay determined to just use both of them, thinking with Gurley's minor knee issue he could maximize him without trying to push him.

Along this journey I believe McVay's ego got the better of him. World changes fast sometimes but late in regular season Gurley was an MVP candidate and at least realistically a top 5 MVP candidate and a lot of talk all over that the Rams offense runs through him, he's what makes it all work. Now here is that offense working a few games with a RB cut by two teams and I think McVay's ego went next level.  Part of that ego was failing to understand how hard it is to make the SB, when you get here you don't preserve players or try to run risk of not pushing them to far.

I don't think Gurley is ok with how this ended.  I'm not sure some lingering animosity won't continue. Someone said he seemed kind of mentally detached during the SB and someone not that anxious to get into the game and it sure looked like that to me. Kind of how a feature back who was dominant all season would look if he's trying to be professional but was recently told by his coach that he'd be splitting carries  in the SB, in the state he starred in college, with CJ Anderson. These things don't come around but maybe once in a lifetime, I firmly believe Gurley is in fact upset McVay felt all to comfortable not pushing him physically in the biggest game of his life. People keep saying how weird would it be for McVay to make his feature back a RBBC guy with a twice cut this season RB but it would be equally weird if this happened to any feature back in the NFL and they were not extremely upset.

So my conclusion is the injury vs non-injury debate is not so black and white. He was dealing with something,  just not something so major his role should have been reduced in the manner that it was in the Super Bowl. I think Mcvay overthought this, his ego got in the way, and I don't think Gurley is happy about this and more the thinks about it might just linger more with him.

I would slightly devalue Gurley in both redraft and dynasty due to possible future discord and with a poor SB gameplan(not just Gurley related)  by McVay I still trust him but total confidence is now lost and it's slightly possible, I would even say likely, he goes into next season with intentions to use Gurley less per game then he was getting before he got hurt in the season.  These are slight devalues, still a sure thing top 6 valued asset, but for me he probably went from dynasty overall 2 to 5-6 and pretty similar in redraft.

The guy quoting his speed is a medical doctor.  Are you a doctor?  It's wild how the same people are continuing to discredit the opinion of professionals in the medical field and Rams organization because they don't want to admit that Gurley was horrible for some really big games.  
Correct me if I’m wrong but we’re not talking about a doctor who evaluated Gurley right, just a doctor who watched the game on tv? It’s a valid piece of evidence (with the flaws that meno pointed out) but you are acting like it settles the matter and it doesn’t. You may remember earlier in the thread another doctor theorized that Gurley has patellar tendinitis and none of us declared the conversation over. It’s only an educated guess (that conflicts with other educated guesses).

In a similar vein you keep repeating public comments by the Rams on Gurley’s health. This is valid evidence also. But we all know the saying actions speak louder than words. History tells us that we should place more weight on how a coach uses his players than what he says about them because there is often a tactical advantage in deception. Gurley’s usage changed sharply after week 15 and no one has put forth a more convincing explanation for why this happened than the theory that his injury lingered.

I think CJ is a capable and even slightly underrated player but Gurley is elite. We should all know that YPC is poor, non-sticky metric and small sample size YPC is even worse so let’s not use that as a tool to compare them. 

We probably can’t resolve this on a message board. I think your points on the high value of OLs and offensive schemes and on the folly of overpaying at RB are sharper than your assessments of specific RBs but I appreciate both sides of the debate. Hopefully CJ re-signs with the Rams. If that happens and next season the usage split is similar to this year’s playoffs, I will come back in here and admit you were right, tync 

Gurley struggled against the #2 rated run DVOA Bears as a healthy RB.  The Saints were rated #3 and had already seen him once this season.  Give Belichick two weeks against a predictable offense and he will shut almost anyone down.  I don't believe Gurley was injured, I think he ran into the Saints and Patriots who did a tremendous job defending against that offense (just like the Bears previously did).
see now this is a decent post....and truth be told, BB gave credit to the LIONS that's right lions who showed him a template to slow the rams down, now Detroit has a great run stuffer in snacks Harrison and a shut down corner in Slay much like Gilmore, so they made it work...

I bet people have speculated he was injured and insinuated the entire Rams organization is full of liars close to 40 times now.
Just curious...are you of the opinion that NFL organizations and players always tell the truth about player health?  Your answer will go a long way toward validating (or invalidating) your responses prior.

Grain of salt time but a well respected member of a Rams forum is saying that Gurley has an ACL issue. He was unsure of the degree. Says he knows a doc who knows a doc on the Rams staff kind of thing. Could be complete nonsense but thought I’d mention it since it’s been a co firmed knee issue and prolly not a minor one.

Not sure if I feel this is good or bad. One hand, he doesn’t have stage fright, McVay didn’t lose confidence in him, he wasn’t benched, CJs not better etc. On the other, same knee he tore the ACL, kept dealing with swelling, 8 weeks later he was still limited and CJ said its worse than they originally thought. 

Not sure if I feel this is good or bad. One hand, he doesn’t have stage fright, McVay didn’t lose confidence in him, he wasn’t benched, CJs not better etc. On the other, same knee he tore the ACL, kept dealing with swelling, 8 weeks later he was still limited and CJ said its worse than they originally thought. 
I really think you are making to much of his injury and long term impact. He had an exit physical, no surgery needed. He does not have a torn ACL or anything. I for one have zero worries about him being full go in about 7 more months.

The concern going forward is that Rams become more focused next year on scaling back Gurley's workload.  Speaking to CJ's comments he said having two capable RB's gave McVay more tools to work with and enabled them to try and keep Gurley fresh. Whether it's CJ or someone else my concern is this will be a goal next season. Not a RBBC of course, but a slight reduction.  Enough of a slight reduction to take him from lock top 2 pick to more of a lock top 5 pick.

I really think you are making to much of his injury and long term impact. He had an exit physical, no surgery needed. He does not have a torn ACL or anything. I for one have zero worries about him being full go in about 7 more months.

The concern going forward is that Rams become more focused next year on scaling back Gurley's workload.  Speaking to CJ's comments he said having two capable RB's gave McVay more tools to work with and enabled them to try and keep Gurley fresh. Whether it's CJ or someone else my concern is this will be a goal next season. Not a RBBC of course, but a slight reduction.  Enough of a slight reduction to take him from lock top 2 pick to more of a lock top 5 pick.
Gurley only averaged 18.3 carries per game and 22.5 total touches per game.  That balance was already happening.  No concern for me at all, and I am actively after him in all leagues at panic prices.

Gurley only averaged 18.3 carries per game and 22.5 total touches per game.  That balance was already happening.  No concern for me at all, and I am actively after him in all leagues at panic prices.
Yes you are right I've noticed his total touches don't seem to daunting but do you know how his percentage of snaps/touches would rate? I thought I'd read last two years he led the league. I sure would not expect this to drop more then a handful of touches a game, but a handful especially if that cut into his goal line dominance would impact him a little IMO. Just a little.

I'm not worried about % of snaps.  That just means they are using their WR like Kupp as an extension of the running game.  If CJA or some other RB picks up more carries I expect it to be at the expense of Goff's passing, not Gurley's touches.

He also "only" had 17 rushing TD and 21 total.  That's nice efficiency, but it's not historical or anything unsustainable.  Even giving him his average of 1.2 TD per game would put him at 19.4 TD - not even top 10 in NFL history.  But let's say he does regress.  That's fine, he led all RB by over 2.4 PPG.  That's 38.4 points over 16 games, or 6.5 TD's.  He can afford to drop off a little bit while still maintaining elite value. 

At worst he’d be kinda like Kamara. I could live with that from about 3rd overall on.

lol what is leaking out?

CJ Anderson

A) is not a doctor

B) Anderson said while Gurley never disclosed to him the injury, he believed it to be a sprained knee.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/we-finally-know-why-todd-gurley-disappeared-in-the-super-bowl/

so McVay and Gurley deny an injury, but you believe Anderson?  Hilarious.  

I thought when someone quoted me there would be actual news that Gurley was injured.  Instead, it's a speculative quote from a backup RB desperate to keep a job with the only NFL team that was interested in him.  

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/todd-gurley-super-bowl-injury

Here's a great article that uses some common sense about what really happened to Gurley.

"That’s what you do in the biggest moments — regardless of matchups or the flow of game. He failed to not because Gurley wasn’t healthy but because, like so many coaches before him, he let Belichick dictate how the game would be played." 🤔

The most telling part of the CJ interview for me was not so much his speculation on the injury (though that is telling) but the decisions that went on about the workload split. CJ mentions a couple times that it was not a “hot hand” approach. He knew he would get some carries but that it was made clear to him that when TG wanted in he was in. That TG was going to dictate his work load.  This lines up with TG dealing with something and knowing his knee couldn’t hold up to a heavy work load.  Thus he self limited.   

There is no question I’m purely speculating here on an injury, but as I mentioned in the past having personal experience with lots of knee problems (4 surgeries and more planned) I have periods where I’m normal and can perform like I did in the past.  The issue is fatigue and weakness set in quickly.  

The argument from the Gurley supporters before was that the Rams didn't want to disclose an "injury" because they would be fined.

Now that Anderson has "confirmed" Gurley's "injury", this should be confirmed by Goodell with fines like he did this year with Miami and Oakland.

By your standard, anyone offering “definitive proof” would be committing a HIPPA violation and facing jailtime.  Good luck waiting for that to be posted here...
Not necessarily.  I tend to believe the player's coach and player himself over the team's other RB.  Why wouldn't they admit to Gurley's injury, but be okay that Anderson released that private information?  That contradicts the earlier excuse from Gurley supporters that they couldn't admit an injury now because of possible fines from the NFL (if Goodell doesn't fine the Rams now we know Anderson is lying)

Users who are viewing this thread