What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (9 Viewers)

Well we are 3 games in and it's pretty clear that Gurley is losing far too many snaps to be an RB1 and is barely involved in the passing game. This is actually the worst possible outcome, since he's still the starter but you can't play him and you can't trade him and you can't start his handcuff. And since this pattern of usage extends back to last season, there really is no reason to think it's going to get any better now. This is the new normal and the Rams are winning with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we are 3 games in and it's pretty clear that Gurley is losing far too many snaps to be an RB1 and is barely involved in the passing game. This is actually the worst possible outcome, since he's still the starter but you can't play him and you can't trade him and you can't start his handcuff. And since this pattern of usage extends back to last season, there really is no reason to think it's going to get any better now. This is the new normal and the Rams are winning with it. 
This is the most concerning thing to me, because of this they have absolutely no reason to go back to making him a workhorse. 

It's still mind blowing to me his lack of involvement in the passing game, he has been open quite a bit and Goff never seems to even look his way.

This is the most concerning thing to me, because of this they have absolutely no reason to go back to making him a workhorse. 

It's still mind blowing to me his lack of involvement in the passing game, he has been open quite a bit and Goff never seems to even look his way.
From a real life perspective, it's amazing for Gurley who gets to be the 2nd highest paid RB in the league while taking half the carries. From a contract perspective, it's sort of a disaster for the Rams. And another example of why it's not smart in the current game to give huge deals to RBs. 

Gurley just seems to lost his burst that made him special. I think they gain something having Brown running the ball. Collinsworth made a comment that the Rams lose nothing with Brown running (as opposed to Gurley) and I definitely agree. And given they don't pass to Gurley anymore, him being a superior receiving option means not a whole lot.

Nick Chubb, to me, looks like the old Gurley. Hits the holes quick and finishes off runs.

And it's hard to believe that Chubb and Gurley are separated by 15 months. 

The problem isn't so much the carries he's losing to Brown as it is that this just isn't the dynamic offense it was when Gurley was rolling out #1 fantasy RB stats.

The scoring opportunities aren't there, the line isn't opening up holes for big chunk plays, and I don't think any of us imagined even in our worst nightmares that Gurley would have 8 total receiving yards through 3 games.

The narrative this offseason was even 65% of Gurley's production would still be a RB1.  But the problem is it's more like he's getting 65% of 50% of the production.

If you combine Gurley/Brown's stats it is still nowhere near what Gurley was doing himself before.

That's not to mention that Gurley doesn't look all that great himself.  I mean he looks...fine.  He sure doesn't look like any kind of game changer.

Gurley will be fine. They are slowly bringing him up to speed. Come week 10 and playoff time he’ll be the Gurley we’ve to know and ❤️ !!!

Tex

Gurley will be fine. They are slowly bringing him up to speed. Come week 10 and playoff time he’ll be the Gurley we’ve to know and ❤️ !!!

Tex
I hope others think this way as well.  I'm leaning towards putting out some Dynasty offers with him.  If I can get someone like a Marlon Mack or Phillip Lindsay + a sweetener, I'd take it.

they're definitely NOT bringing him along slowly, they've been doing the same BS since late last season, through the playoffs, the SB, preseason 2019, and now 3 reg season games.the Gurley of 0ld? well, he's toast.plain and simple.  if EVER there was a game to give him 35 carries, it was the SB. instead, he rode a bike on the sidelines.

at some point the Rams are going to find a RB to lean on, and they're going to do so this season.but it won't be Gurley. that ship has sailed. I''m not even sure you can sell high with him at this point. I guess you kind of take what you can get and call it a victory.

There's a psychological aspect to this as well.  It's hard on an athlete when he's not able to play at the level if he once did.

I think last night was the writing on the wall. I was holding out hope they were "easing him back in". But it seemed to me he was out there for the majority of the game.

The touches he did get were not very good. Like Tex said, he isn't even being looked at in the passing game.

He's done as as fantasy stud. Right now he's working on improving enough to be a fantasy ham & egger but he's got a lot of work to do.

they're definitely NOT bringing him along slowly, they've been doing the same BS since late last season, through the playoffs, the SB, preseason 2019, and now 3 reg season games.the Gurley of 0ld? well, he's toast.plain and simple.  if EVER there was a game to give him 35 carries, it was the SB. instead, he rode a bike on the sidelines.

at some point the Rams are going to find a RB to lean on, and they're going to do so this season.but it won't be Gurley. that ship has sailed. I''m not even sure you can sell high with him at this point. I guess you kind of take what you can get and call it a victory.
He had 14 of the team’s 17 RB carries last night.   The Browns were missing most of their starting defensive backfield, thus the Rams passed the ball a ton.  

The real brutal moment for Gurley owners was watching Goff get stuffed on a QB sneak from the 1, only to pass to Kupp on 3rd down from the 1, with Gurley on the field spectating.

He's not getting the touches that he used to get that made him so valuable, goal line carries and targets in the passing game

wait until the Rams lose a game and you will see more of him in the next one.....it's that simple. If I'm a coach and my stud RB whom I will need in the playoffs is just back from injury, I would ease him back into it on a needed basis. They are winning right now so no point of overworking him. I think it's a very smart way to manage the RBs in that team. If they start losing a game or two, I feel very confident Gurley will see a lot more actions. 

On Saturday I offered my Ingram and Olsen for Gurley to a guy that lost his starting TE (Njoku).  Guy never responded.  Feels like a bullet dodged right now. 

What a weird situation.  Guy was an absolute beast (and they paid him like one), now they've turned him into JAG.

The offense just doesn't look special right now.  Maybe it's a slow start to the season.  But they don't look like a guaranteed 30 points anymore. 

I think he looks explosive.  But with a reduced workload in an offense that doesn't look as good--he's just not going to get anywhere near what we hoped. 

I've got him in 1 dynasty league, I have no idea what to do with him.  If he strings together a couple good games, I'll see what I can sell for.  But I imagine most owners are skeptical enough that you aren't getting a good back or elite WR for him

He's a much more expensive version of modern day Frank Gore for fantasy.

They aren't even looking to him in the pass game anymore. He's in blocking a lot more.

His snap counts are fine to me. No one makes a peep when Kamara's snap %s are in the 60s. Because he's being used extensively in run/pass game and a much more explosive player at this point. The fact Gurley's not even an option in pass game is most concerning. 

Edit: Dalvin Cook snap %s this season -- 67%, 72%, 60%. Gurley is seeing more than enough snaps to be fantasy relevant. He's 1) Not breaking off anything and 2) a complete afterthought in the pass game & pass blocking a lot more.

I am a Rams fan.  A little concerned about the whole offense.  But yeah, I didn't take Gurley anywhere this year.  Actively avoided him.  Sean McVay doesn't care about fantasy football... and Gurley will be an RB3 this year.

I am a Rams fan.  A little concerned about the whole offense.  But yeah, I didn't take Gurley anywhere this year.  Actively avoided him.  Sean McVay doesn't care about fantasy football... and Gurley will be an RB3 this year.
As am I obviously.  I’m also very concerned about the offense as a whole right now.   Gurley looks like he always has to me but for some reason they (Goff?) are going away from a strength, throwing to Gurley out of the backfield.   For the life of me I can’t figure out why, I counted at least five times last night where Gurley came out of the backfield and was open for a dump off and Goff never even sniffed his direction.  

The play with like two minutes and 30ish seconds left in the game encompasses exactly what’s wrong with the Rams right now. All we needed was a first down to effectively end the game and it was third and one.   Why we don’t run it up the middle there for one I’ll never understand but regardless in the play Gurley leaks out of the backfield and is wide open in the middle for the easy first down and the likely possibility he breaks the run for a long one, Goff instead forces a throw down field for some reason and it’s intercepted.  He never even glanced at Gurley.  That same play the last two years gets dumped off to Gurley and he breaks it off.  

I’m not sure if It’s Goff ego at this point or McVay’s and their desire to go deep but it’s stifling the offense as a whole honestly.

As am I obviously.  I’m also very concerned about the offense as a whole right now.   Gurley looks like he always has to me but for some reason they (Goff?) are going away from a strength, throwing to Gurley out of the backfield.   For the life of me I can’t figure out why, I counted at least five times last night where Gurley came out of the backfield and was open for a dump off and Goff never even sniffed his direction.  

The play with like two minutes and 30ish seconds left in the game encompasses exactly what’s wrong with the Rams right now. All we needed was a first down to effectively end the game and it was third and one.   Why we don’t run it up the middle there for one I’ll never understand but regardless in the play Gurley leaks out of the backfield and is wide open in the middle for the easy first down and the likely possibility he breaks the run for a long one, Goff instead forces a throw down field for some reason and it’s intercepted.  He never even glanced at Gurley.  That same play the last two years gets dumped off to Gurley and he breaks it off.  

I’m not sure if It’s Goff ego at this point or McVay’s and their desire to go deep but it’s stifling the offense as a whole honestly.
Agreed; Man I was watching the game in Santa Monica at a Cleveland-fan bar... what a mess...

I just think they're going to treat Gurley gingerly and preserve their primary investment - but he ABSOLUTELY should be getting a few more targets.  At least he got some goal line work.  Also, McVay has had several games with questionable play calling.  But to your point hard to tell if it was McVay or Goff on that one.  Just end the game guys!

It was an interesting game with both QBs making the same mind numbing mistake over and over again.

Not long after Goff passes on an easy check-down to ice the game to instead throw downfield into heavy coverage, Cleveland has 3rd and goal from the 5 and Baker looks right past a wide open Jarvis Landry at the front of the endzone to try and force the ball into double coverage to a backup TE a few yards behind him.

I think both of these QBs just kind of stink at reading the field.  McVay is able to cover for that and scheme around it a lot better than Kitchens is, but teams are starting to figure it out.

i was in the minority thinking that the Gurley stuff was much ado about nothing.  At this point, regardless of whether it is about preserving him or him not being effective, he's borderline bench worthy.  sad.

i was in the minority thinking that the Gurley stuff was much ado about nothing.  At this point, regardless of whether it is about preserving him or him not being effective, he's borderline bench worthy.  sad.
I was too.  I envisioned by this point folks would be kicking themselves for not remembering what a beast he was for most of the last two seasons.

He looks like Lamar Miller to me right now.  Gets the volume, is the clear lead dog but isnt used much in the pass game, isnt all that special in the run game, and cedes goal line carries in many cases.  Like Miller, he is a fringe RB2/3 that nobody is all that excited to have in their lineups and nobody wants to trade for.

The bottom line is he doesn't look like the pre-knee issues Gurley of old, but that's subjective.

Still, I'm thinking the best play is to hold Brown & see what happens.

If not a load management program, then maybe a be less explosive and dynamic on offense program? Score fewer points program?

me after my draft: gurley and michel will carry me until melvin gordon comes back... then i'll have 3 stud RB's

me at 0-3 with least points in league:  :bag:

i know this is very subjective, but he looks ordinary running with the ball. and the lack of passing game involvement is just confusing

lack of passing involvement is curious. you'd think, if anything, they would want to give him more receptions, as seems that would be less taxing on his knee

Fool me once, shame on you.....however, I like this statement and I'm willing to give it another shot.

"I have to do better about being able to give him a chance to really get more into a rhythm than what I've enabled him to do in these first three games," McVay said.

Matt Waldman has an interesting take regarding six wide lineman. Pretty sure it’s subscriber content so wont post. Regardless he’s going to my bench for a bit. 

Traded him this morning for Rivers and Lindsay.

I just can't anymore. I really needed a QB and I will take Lindsay who will be catching the ball more than Gurley this season. Good luck to his  current owners.

Fool me once, shame on you.....however, I like this statement and I'm willing to give it another shot.

"I have to do better about being able to give him a chance to really get more into a rhythm than what I've enabled him to do in these first three games," McVay said.
McVay is becoming the new Andy Reid. 

Waldman's stuff made a lot of sense.  If McVay is serious about getting Gurley going and they go away from pounding outside zone into the strength of the defensive looks they are facing, like their scheme corrections in the 2nd half Sunday night, it will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm rolling w/ Gurley in my flex this week to see what happens against Tampa.

I don’t know how anyone reads Waldman‘s latest article leads anyone to benching Gurley.  His article is pretty much a case against that

Users who are viewing this thread