What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (4 Viewers)

That was one of the best defenses in the league.

They also trailed all game, how can they run? That goal line D stand was insane. Malcolm is great at the GL, he is a vulture. He got stopped, twice. Many good RBs have gotten stopped by good goal line Ds. Malcolm has shown he is a good RB, but you seem to forget all of that because of one game against a good D. 
Agreed. Brown looked REALLY impressive in their first drive (tough, physical running). That's what a feature back should be able to do, but the 9ers tightened up the rest of the game. They have an outstanding D.

Henderson has some redeeming traits, but he isn't a feature back-type runner. Henderson can definitely make things happen when he gets a hole (much like in college), but too often gets swallowed up when things get muddy.

When Gurley is out, Brown will likely get the majority of the snaps as the better all-around RB. That said, it doesn't mean Henderson can't produce, but neither one will do a whole lot unless the Rams straighten out their offensive woes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Gurley (quad) will practice Wednesday.

He'll be limited to individual drills. Coach Sean McVay also said Malcolm Brown (ankle) is day-to-day. Time will tell how this backfield shakes out, but rookie Darrell Henderson needs to universally rostered across fantasy leagues just in case both are ruled out. Pending Brown's health, he'll likely lead this backfield in a 60/40 timeshare if available (and Gurley's scratched).

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:29 PM ET

Coach Sean McVay said, "I think he’s (Todd Gurley) on a good pace to hopefully be able to play on Sunday."

Gurley is expected to be limited in practice again Thursday. He appears to be trending towards suiting up this week, but clearly isn't operating at 100%. Malcolm Brown (68% snaps) worked well ahead of Darrell Henderson (32%) during Gurley's absence last week. Gurley would undoubtedly retake control of the backfield if active, but it's probably more realistic to expect a snap rate in the 60-70% range as opposed to the 93% rate he posted in Week 5.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter.

Oct 17, 2019, 8:50 AM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay anticipates Todd Gurley and Jalen Ramsey to play Week 7.

Gurley will likely be officially questionable, but he's on track to suit up after missing one game with a thigh contusion. The Rams may opt to limit Gurley's total touch count after he came up injured in the only game where he played near full-time snaps. Given the matchup against the struggling Falcons, Gurley is still an RB2 with touchdown equity.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 3:40 PM ET

Todd Gurley was removed from the Week 7 injury report.

Gurley will return after sitting out last week with a thigh contusion. It's possible his snaps are scaled back, but with Malcolm Brown (ankle) doubtful, Gurley is set up for heavy workload against a Falcons run defense that's given up the fifth most rushing touchdowns in the league. Gurley has potential for a big game whenever he's on the field, but his setback risks make him more of an RB2 for Week 7.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

Todd Gurley rushed 18 times for 41 yards in the Rams' Week 7 win over the Falcons, adding a 13-yard touchdown reception.

Neither Gurley nor backup Darrell Henderson could find much running room behind the Rams' ramshackle offensive line, but it didn't matter on an afternoon where the Falcons collapsed through the surface of the earth. Gurley's scoring reception was one of the best plays of the day, as he beat Vic Beasley's tight 1-on-1 coverage in the end zone. The Rams seemed unconcerned about Gurley's quad issue, letting him play deep in the fourth quarter of a non-competitive game. Henderson has looked ready to change the pace the past two weeks, but Gurley maintains secure high-end RB2 usage going into next Sunday's hosting of the Bengals.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

Beautiful over the shoulder catch, in traffic, getting both feet down like a WR for a TD.

Not targeted again the rest of the game.
The Rams won 37-10.

They don’t give a rats ### about anyones FF team. And you left out 18 carries for a whopping 41 yards for a sizzling 2.3 YPC avg.

They have 4 guys who are clearly higher in the receiving pecking order. And Goff does not check down. 

The Rams won 37-10.

They don’t give a rats ### about anyones FF team. And you left out 18 carries for a whopping 41 yards for a sizzling 2.3 YPC avg.

They have 4 guys who are clearly higher in the receiving pecking order. And Goff does not check down. 
Re: bolded.  This year.  He did the past few years and it was a big part of their game. TG3 dominated those check downs and broke off huge gains.  This year Goff has completely forgot about him and I have no idea why. A few weeks ago I pointed out multiple plays that were wide open for Gurley underneath for big gains to continue drives but Goff throws elsewhere into tight coverage for a miss.  Happened today again a few times but a big one early in the second half on a 3rd down when it was still a tight game.  I really have no idea why he’s completely gone away from it, make absolutely no sense.   

Nice game today.  Wish they had stuck with Henderson late to protect Gurley.  @dkp993 a lot of runs in between the tackles, and but for the TD, the utilization is weird.  And Goff is not looking for Gurley when his reads expire.  Not sure what the deal is, but Gurley should have high value touches from a FF perspective were Goff giving him the opportunity.

He is working well for us... I like our game... for F I feel like he is solid RB2 now, high en RB3 floor.

Nice game today.  Wish they had stuck with Henderson late to protect Gurley.  @dkp993 a lot of runs in between the tackles, and but for the TD, the utilization is weird.  And Goff is not looking for Gurley when his reads expire.  Not sure what the deal is, but Gurley should have high value touches from a FF perspective were Goff giving him the opportunity.

He is working well for us... I like our game... for F I feel like he is solid RB2 now, high en RB3 floor.
Honestly I’m disappointed in the game today.  Don’t get me wrong I’m stoked about the win but ATL is an abject disaster on D and to me the score is misleading.  We still didn’t look like the “Rams”, there’s no flow and it’s scary as #### we could barely (didn’t?) average 3 yards a carry vs that sad sack D.  Our D looked good today for sure against a good O but our O line is a atrocious and McVay’s play calling this year still has serious question marks.  Both of those are having some serious effects on Gurley’s game.  

@dkp993Our O line is a joke right now.  Couldn't punch it in on the RZ.  Kinda sad.  Is what it is.  D was great.  Goff looked pretty accurate.  Couple nice runs.  Some guys let him down candidly.

We just are not an elite team but we are pretty darn good.  Sorta need to accept that and manage expectations accordingly.

Honestly I’m disappointed in the game today.  Don’t get me wrong I’m stoked about the win but ATL is an abject disaster on D and to me the score is misleading.  We still didn’t look like the “Rams”, there’s no flow and it’s scary as #### we could barely (didn’t?) average 3 yards a carry vs that sad sack D.  Our D looked good today for sure against a good O but our O line is a atrocious and McVay’s play calling this year still has serious question marks.  Both of those are having some serious effects on Gurley’s game.  
Atlanta's run D actually isn't that bad, it's their pass D that is atrocious.  But yes I would agree that it just didn't look "easy" for the Rams overall today like it has for other teams playing Atlanta, even with a nice scoreline in the end.

@dkp993Our O line is a joke right now.  Couldn't punch it in on the RZ.  Kinda sad.  Is what it is.  D was great.  Goff looked pretty accurate.  Couple nice runs.  Some guys let him down candidly.

We just are not an elite team but we are pretty darn good.  Sorta need to accept that and manage expectations accordingly.
It looked like Gurley was in on the short TD everyone pushed him over for

Todd Gurley played just 46-of-75 snaps (60.5%) in the Week 7 win over the Falcons.

That 60.5% snap share was Gurley's lowest mark of the season. The blowout may have played a factor. Gurley missed Week 6 with a quad injury after being in on a season-high 93% of the downs in Week 5. Darrell Henderson was in on 34.2% of the snaps against the Falcons, getting 12 touches to Gurley's 19. Gurley, of course, found the end zone and will remain an RB2 in a high-end Rams offense. Henderson, though, is someone to obviously own again in redraft formats, especially if he's able to leapfrog Malcolm Brown, who missed Week 8.

SOURCE: John Daigle on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 8:00 PM ET

Todd Gurley rushed 10 times for 44 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' Week 8 win over the Bengals.

He didn't catch a pass on one target. Backfield mate Darrell Henderson out-carried Gurley 11-10 and produced 49 yards rushing while adding two catches for 20 yards. Late in the game, Gurley was seen getting treatment on his knee with the Rams up by two touchdowns. Last year's version of Gurley would have flirted with 30 touches in this game script. That Gurley is gone. The Rams are doing everything to keep him fresh for a potential playoff run. L.A. has a Week 9 bye.

Oct 27, 2019, 5:04 PM ET

He's "too good" to sit but he is just mediocre week to week. The OL is horrible and the scheme has been solved by the defenses. 

A complete afterthought in the passing game as well. 

When asked about Todd Gurley's relatively light workload in Week 10, Rams coach Sean McVay said, "That was just kind of the rotation."

He didn't see the ball at all in the fourth quarter, logging his final touch of the afternoon with a minute to go in the third quarter. Gurley wasn't benched—he was in on 11 of L.A.'s 17 fourth-quarter snaps—but the Rams didn't call any plays for him. Game script may have played a role in Gurley's scarce usage as the Rams were playing from behind at Pittsburgh, though it's still surprising Los Angeles would go away from its star running back at such a pivotal juncture. Even with the abbreviated workload, Gurley still had one of his better rushing performances of the season, averaging 6.1 yards per carry while logging his most rushing yards (73) since Week 1.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Nov 11, 2019, 10:39 AM ET

I can somewhat understand the limited carriers...but the lack of usage in the passing game is just mind-boggling.

0-1 catches in 5 out of 8 games this year after averaging 60+ recpts/yr the past couple years...McVay is lost.

I can somewhat understand the limited carriers...but the lack of usage in the passing game is just mind-boggling.

0-1 catches in 5 out of 8 games this year after averaging 60+ recpts/yr the past couple years...McVay is lost.
He was targeted 4 times yesterday.

Gurley was easily the most effective runner yesterday,  soooo why have a rotation....unless you are managing his workload,  which supposedly isn't happening🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Gurley had 25 carries for 97 yards and a touchdown and caught three passes for 36 yards in the Rams' Week 11 win over Chicago.

The Rams made a point to feature Gurley after his light Week 10 workload. He touched the ball on 12 of the first 17 plays and rarely came off the field, playing 75 percent of snaps. Gurley converted a goal-line carry for his touchdown, but he wasn’t great in short-yardage spots, getting stuffed on a few third and shorts. Gurley had a touchdown vultured by Malcolm Brown with the Rams staying in the no-huddle after a Gerald Everett catch set them up inside the five-yard line. Still, this was the type of game the Rams needed from Gurley, who didn't have more than 18 carries in any game going into Sunday night. Gurley will face a Ravens defensive line that’s been gutted by injuries on Monday night in Week 12.

Nov 17, 2019, 11:25 PM ET

I didn’t watch the whole game last night but I watch the last quarter or so and what I saw was a sluggish Gurlley.  I saw him try to hit the edge a few times and he just did not have any burst but again that was only about the last quarter and a half or so. 

I didn’t watch the whole game last night but I watch the last quarter or so and what I saw was a sluggish Gurlley.  I saw him try to hit the edge a few times and he just did not have any burst but again that was only about the last quarter and a half or so. 
Yeah don't get me wrong I will take the points, but on that 3rd down from around the 10 at the end I thought he was going to score for sure and I think the old Gurley does every time.

Tale of two halves. After halftime the Bears switched to a 6-man front that the Rams had no answer for. First half was just like old times, including screen game.

What about the burst tho? 
Looked just fine to me. Good vision picking the hole, acceleration through it and drive at the end of the run. Multiple 7-12 yard chunk runs in the first half.

I don't know enough about blocking schemes to answer why the Rams couldn't handle the adjustment...but on almost every early down in the 2nd half it looked like a 3rd-and-1 defensive alignment. Kwiatkoski the ILB played every down in first half and maybe only 25% in 2nd.

When a running back has a big hole to run through, they look like they have burst.  When blocking is poor, they look sluggish.  A Lamborghini will look slow in a traffic jam.

When a running back has a big hole to run through, they look like they have burst.  When blocking is poor, they look sluggish.  A Lamborghini will look slow in a traffic jam.
I’m talking specifically about hitting the edge. He was slow. No defenders just a sprint to the edge and he couldn’t get there. 

I’m talking specifically about hitting the edge. He was slow. No defenders just a sprint to the edge and he couldn’t get there. 
It wouldn't be surprising if he has lost a step with the knee problems he has had.  But maybe he has become a smarter runner where he is patient and waits for his blocking to create a whole to burst through.  He definitely has become more of a north-south power runner since entering McVay's system.  His style now reminds me of Le'Veon Bell whereas in his rookie year he seemed to be running more east-west like Adrian Peterson.  Here are a few of Gurley's first half carries.  He is moving pretty efficiently for a bigger running back.

Rhythmdoctor said:
Having watched every snap of Gurley’s career I never thought he looked fast or explosive.  Don’t get me wrong he is, he just never looked it.  His style is smooth and powerful, pretty much the exact opposite of what say Kyler Murray or Cohen look like.  He doesn’t look any different to me other then he seems to me to be playing it safe when in a pile vs before he used to try and breakthrough the other side.  Now he seems to be going in head first and down, almost falling down into the tackle not try to run through it.  Really not sure why.  As for last night on the runs to the edge, specifically those in the second half, none of them had me thinking he looked any slower or that he would have gotten that corner last year.  

Having watched every snap of Gurley’s career I never thought he looked fast or explosive.  Don’t get me wrong he is, he just never looked it.  His style is smooth and powerful, pretty much the exact opposite of what say Kyler Murray or Cohen look like.  He doesn’t look any different to me other then he seems to me to be playing it safe when in a pile vs before he used to try and breakthrough the other side.  Now he seems to be going in head first and down, almost falling down into the tackle not try to run through it.  Really not sure why.  As for last night on the runs to the edge, specifically those in the second half, none of them had me thinking he looked any slower or that he would have gotten that corner last year.  
I appreciate your perspective. I haven’t watched a ton of Gurley since he’s been in the league. I’ve oseen a good handful but not dozens. So I appreciate your input. So in your opinion, is he the same old Gurley physically?

Users who are viewing this thread