What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Rams released RB Todd Gurley.

Gurley just signed a "four-year, $60 million" extension in July 2018. The Rams spent weeks trying to trade Gurley but could not find a taker for his albatross of a deal. The move actually costs the Rams $2.9 million against the cap, leaving behind $20.15 million in dead money, but was prompted by a $10.5 million roster bonus that was about to come due. The Rams benefit more in terms of real cash than salary cap. Gurley was cruising along as one of the best non-quarterback offensive players in the league until ankle and knee issues began to slow him down in late 2018. He was not himself in the playoffs and the reduced form carried over to 2019, where he averaged 3.8 yards per carry. Although he is still only 25 years old, Gurley's knee issues are chronic. His release further gluts the running back market.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

Mar 19, 2020, 3:46 PM ET

To think we had people in here arguing about his knee back when he essentially didn't play in the Super Bowl. They must be very confused right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's the case necessarily. These guys are a little older and don't look as good as they once did.
Fair point. Can probably add David Johnson to the mix, although he has a spot. Sometimes though, these guys who aren't that old get opportunities based on name recognition/past history.

Fair point. Can probably add David Johnson to the mix, although he has a spot. Sometimes though, these guys who aren't that old get opportunities based on name recognition/past history.
That's sort of exactly what I was thinking when I put "necessarily" in there. I'm not enamored with any of those four guys you've just mentioned -- I think that they're all on the wrong side of productivity. There. That's a nicer way to put it than calling then washed. On the wrong side of previous productivity.

That said, coaches love vets, especially in pass protection and especially in sort of leadership roles in the locker room. RB is a tough position to judge unless you watch a ton of film and rewind it and pause it all the time. It often takes these coaches a while to figure out that the guy they had on their roster might be a better back. (See: Mostert, Raheem). And until they realize it, these guys get a bunch of early-season opportunities for fantasy purposes. The problem tends to rear its ugly head around game five or six when you realize they're about to lose their job.

Like, not to derail the thread, but I'm trying like heck to get out from under Gordon in the dynasty league I play in. I think Gordon's going to wind up RBBC. He's always been TD-dependent, and I just have never been tremendously impressed with him. Back to Gurley:  He is a different story. At one point he looked like an absolute world-beater out there. Now he sadly looks hurt. 

As a Gurley owner, a like this, hopefully he lands in a nice spot, no need to reduce his workload like last year, and even with a reduce workload he still finished pretty good in PPR leagues.   Hopefully he will land with the Falcons or Bucs, anyway, no reason for his new team not to use him as a workhorse, one or two seasons is enough, then put him out to pasture.

These 5 teams were originally highlighted as potential teams who could trade for Gurley, so now that he is released they could be teams who will sign him as a free agent:

5 teams who could trade for Todd Gurley (slideshow)

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2. Miami Dolphins

3. Los Angeles Chargers

4. Buffalo Bills

5. Indianapolis Colts

The Atlanta Falcons were also said to be thinking about trading for him prior to his release.

All RBs are cheap now. Gurley, Gordon and Freeman available and a heavy load of RBs coming into the NFL. 

They will have to work for far less than they thought. 

I think Gurley will get a nice incentive base contract, he's already made a boatload with the Rams.    Too much risk for a team to give him a big payday, just makes a lot of sense to be loaded with incentives.

Linked to articles where the team, head coach and player himself said he was 100% and not injured.  

He’s a terrible RB, always has been.  
Yeah that’s why their eating 20mil.  Please.  Just admit you were wrong.  It will feel good I promise. 

Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders said something I've been thinking for a while. The running backs in the NFL are gonna need their own union. Like he said, it's going to be ten more years of guys getting cut when they're twenty-five.

Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders said something I've been thinking for a while. The running backs in the NFL are gonna need their own union. Like he said, it's going to be ten more years of guys getting cut when they're twenty-five.
New world we live in...used to be RB in the NFL and Center in the NBA were the main cogs for a team...not anymore.

Yeah, exactly what I said.  They don’t matter.  Pay the OL.  Pay the coaches.  Don’t pay the RB.

No team should ever be as dumb as the Rams again.

These 5 teams were originally highlighted as potential teams who could trade for Gurley, so now that he is released they could be teams who will sign him as a free agent:

5 teams who could trade for Todd Gurley (slideshow)

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2. Miami Dolphins

3. Los Angeles Chargers

4. Buffalo Bills

5. Indianapolis Colts

The Atlanta Falcons were also said to be thinking about trading for him prior to his release.
Schefter just tweeted Atlanta showed interest along with Miami when they were shopping him in recent weeks. I think Atlanta makes a lot of sense and I believe that’s where he may land.

Schefter just tweeted Atlanta showed interest along with Miami when they were shopping him in recent weeks. I think Atlanta makes a lot of sense and I believe that’s where he may land.
It’s a reasonable destination and one that makes the most sense due to how Gurley is viewed in that area of the country.   TB is #2 most likely in my estimation.  

TB had the 10th worst run blocking OL in the league last year.  Atlanta 9th.  Definitely won't luckbox into running behind the best OL ever in either of those destinations.  Terrible RB + terrible OL = no bueno

Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons and Dolphins had the most trade interest before the Rams released Todd Gurley.

Gurley's contract was bad enough that a trade was never going to happen, but they are sensible landing spots. The free-spending Dolphins have since signed Jordan Howard, but that might not be a deal-breaker. Atlanta would be a homecoming for Gurley, and the Falcons currently have one of the league's worst backfields. Gurley, of course, does not have good 2019 film.

RELATED: 

Atlanta Falcons

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 19, 2020, 7:06 PM ET

Gurley will have plenty of choices. He'll just have to accept the new value of RBs in the league. 

The SF and KC showed you don't need a franchise RB to reach the Super Bowl. You can afford to get by at the position if you have strength in more important areas. The Cowboys are one of the few teams with a real franchise RB and it hasn't done too much for their title hopes imo.  

Gurley will draw interest at $5 million a year. He'll have his pick from several teams at $4 million a year. I don't think the position is even worth that much, but he'll land on his feet.

Gurley will have plenty of choices. He'll just have to accept the new value of RBs in the league. 

The SF and KC showed you don't need a franchise RB to reach the Super Bowl. You can afford to get by at the position if you have strength in more important areas. The Cowboys are one of the few teams with a real franchise RB and it hasn't done too much for their title hopes imo.  

Gurley will draw interest at $5 million a year. He'll have his pick from several teams at $4 million a year. I don't think the position is even worth that much, but he'll land on his feet.
Gurley lost his roster bonus but his contract is still has guarantees so he’ll be ok “settling” for another $4/5MM.

Linked to articles where the team, head coach and player himself said he was 100% and not injured.  

He’s a terrible RB, always has been.  
Instead of arguing like I'm talking to a brick wall, it's better to ignore you.  If everyone with a logical mindset follows suit, you become absolutely irrelevant.  Moreso than your posts on this subject.

Instead of arguing like I'm talking to a brick wall, it's better to ignore you.  If everyone with a logical mindset follows suit, you become absolutely irrelevant.  Moreso than your posts on this subject.
Well, Gurley will be running in the XFL (if it still exists) in a few years so nobody will be posting in this thread anyways.  He’s just not that good or worth much money/investment.

His girlfriend must had Gurley’s baby or something like that.

That was quick. The weird fact about this means no doctor checked him out prior.  Someone either convinced them his knee was good for this season or 5 million does not mean that much to the Falcons.
I'm guessing the latter. $5 million in today's NFL is a manageable risk to take, especially for a position of need. 

This probably allows the Falcons to take an RB in the draft later than they originally planned, assuming if they even want to and not just wait until next year.  

Users who are viewing this thread