What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malaysian plane shot down in Ukraine. (1 Viewer)

Stock market has plummeted ever since it was reported. Shooting down a passenger jet is bad news for whomever was responsible, assuming it was in fact shot down and just didn't crash.

It sounds terrible, but this probably helps Ukraine. The amount of heat on Russia just increased significantly.

It sounds terrible, but this probably helps Ukraine. The amount of heat on Russia just increased significantly.
Russia already denied it, from what I can tell. Russia is a major country. They aren't just going to go shoot down a passenger plane. Half the world would declare war on them.

Russia is a major country. They aren't just going to go shoot down a passenger plane. Half the world would declare war on them.
I actually think they'd skate. However, it would really put them in a bad place regading further military action in the Ukraine.

Russia is a major country. They aren't just going to go shoot down a passenger plane. Half the world would declare war on them.
I actually think they'd skate. However, it would really put them in a bad place regading further military action in the Ukraine.
Killing 200+ citizens? They will not just skate. They might put up some scapegoats and claim it was a rogue act but assuming it was shot down, people will face criminal charges.

As crazy as Putin/Russia are, I can't see them shooting down a plane... What benefit does this have for them? Unless there was some extremely high value target on board, this would make absolutely zero sense.

@mpoppel: UKRAINIAN INTERIOR MINISTRY ADVISER SAID THE BUK MISSILE WAS FIRED BY SEPARATISTS - INTERFAX VIA REU

Stock market has plummeted ever since it was reported. Shooting down a passenger jet is bad news for whomever was responsible, assuming it was in fact shot down and just didn't crash.
Where does it say it was shot down? Says crashed everywhere.
AP just sent a Breaking News alert saying it was shot down. :shrug:
how did they figure this out so fast
I'm just saying what the alert I got just said. I make no claim that it is accurate.

Killing 200+ citizens? They will not just skate. They might put up some scapegoats and claim it was a rogue act but assuming it was shot down, people will face criminal charges.
Yeah, but that's not the same as declaring war on Russia. The world community is extremely hesitant to do that.

As crazy as Putin/Russia are, I can't see them shooting down a plane... What benefit does this have for them? Unless there was some extremely high value target on board, this would make absolutely zero sense.
The seperatists will get blamed, but Russia supports the seperatists financially and militarily. Russia most certainly won't be happy they shot the plane down. It was obviously a mistake. That doesn't change the fact that they will take more heat for their position in all of this.

Russia already denied it, from what I can tell. Russia is a major country. They aren't just going to go shoot down a passenger plane. Half the world would declare war on them.
Korean Air Lines Flight 007 was a scheduled Korean Air Lines flight from New York City to Seoul via Anchorage. On September 1, 1983, the airliner serving the flight was shot down by a Soviet Su-15 interceptor near Moneron Island, west of Sakhalin Island, in the East Sea. The interceptor's pilot was Major Gennadi Osipovich. All 269 passengers and crew aboard were killed, including Lawrence McDonald, representative from Georgia in the United States House of Representatives. The aircraft was en route from Anchorage to Seoul when it flew through prohibited Soviet airspace around the time of a U.S. reconnaissance mission.

If someone wanted half the world to declare war on them, framing them for this would do it.

I've read that the Russian leader of the separatist movement tweeted earlier that they shot down an SU-25 ground attack fighter and what he claimed was an AN-26 transport aircraft. Ukranian officials have acknowledged (and accused Russia of downing) the SU-25 but made no mention of the AN-26. My guess is the AN-26 was actually this airliner.

if this was an act of aggression meant by Russia towards Ukraine, do we have an obligation as a NATO member to retaliate?

I know nothing about flight paths...but why would a commerical airliner be flying over a war zone? You'd think they'd avoid that general area...

I know nothing about flight paths...but why would a commerical airliner be flying over a war zone? You'd think they'd avoid that general area...
Basically airliners fly so high that they can only be shot down by "strategic" AA systems, ie. those designed to take out high altitude fighters and bombers. This isn't a hick with a shoulder fired missile, it was a mobile vehicle firing a radar guided big ### missile.

Users who are viewing this thread