What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (1 Viewer)

No one is feeding Crowell humble pie.

CLE is trying to figure out their final roster 3 weeks hence. They don't have time, and likely the inclination, to try to teach one UDFA proper decorum. Given that they're trying Crowell exclusively on special teams so far in games - and not getting a lot of reps at that, no less - they're most likely spending just enough effort to figure out whether he's even rosterable and whether it's worth burning a Practice Squad spot on him.

Some of you guys act like CLE ought to be figuring out whether he's their RB1 or RB2. From what we've seen so far, he's on the outside looking in for a spot on the final 53.

CLE is trying to figure out their final roster 3 weeks hence. They don't have time, and likely the inclination, to try to teach one UDFA proper decorum. Given that they're trying Crowell exclusively on special teams so far in games - and not getting a lot of reps at that, no less - they're most likely spending just enough effort to figure out whether he's even rosterable and whether it's worth burning a Practice Squad spot on him.

Some of you guys act like CLE ought to be figuring out whether he's their RB1 or RB2. From what we've seen so far, he's on the outside looking in for a spot on the final 53.
When I see a guy spending a lot of time on special teams my view is that the team is doing everything it can to keep him on the team. The Titans did this with Taylor Thompson, who based on his TE skills as a rookie would have been cut.

When I see a guy spending a lot of time on special teams my view is that the team is doing everything it can to keep him on the team. The Titans did this with Taylor Thompson, who based on his TE skills as a rookie would have been cut.
I think that's a good reasonable assessment. But some people here seem to think he ought to be running with the 1s or 2s right now.

This seems pretty accurate to me. I think Crowell could be a guy the see something in but it isn't enough to feel sure about. They may hope he earns a spot on the team as a STer and then matures into a more useful player down the road.

Bronco Billy said:
I saw a guy who looked pretty good in limited action as a freshman followed by some solid play against substantially lesser competition. He didn't jump off the page for me at ASU, and he should have. I think he's living off the laurels of his freshman year and others here have soaked that up.
I'm in this boat. Forgetting about the character concerns for a minute and just evaluating his play on the field, I personally don't think he stands out among the best in this class. I want to see Charles Johnson, Jeff Janis, Da'Rick Rogers, and shockingly Terrance West type domination (I know Johnson and Janis are D2 guys).

If you think Crowell is being held back by situation or coaches for motivational purposes, and he really is the most "talented" back in this class, then you must believe that without character concerns he would've been one of the Top 5 RBs off the board in the draft. To me, someone like Jeremy Hill looked far better against the SEC than Crowell did in the SWAC. I'd definitely be among the more surprised if he turns out to be anything decent.
Crowell looked better against SEC competition than Hill did.

Bronco Billy said:
I saw a guy who looked pretty good in limited action as a freshman followed by some solid play against substantially lesser competition. He didn't jump off the page for me at ASU, and he should have. I think he's living off the laurels of his freshman year and others here have soaked that up.
I'm in this boat. Forgetting about the character concerns for a minute and just evaluating his play on the field, I personally don't think he stands out among the best in this class. I want to see Charles Johnson, Jeff Janis, Da'Rick Rogers, and shockingly Terrance West type domination (I know Johnson and Janis are D2 guys).

If you think Crowell is being held back by situation or coaches for motivational purposes, and he really is the most "talented" back in this class, then you must believe that without character concerns he would've been one of the Top 5 RBs off the board in the draft. To me, someone like Jeremy Hill looked far better against the SEC than Crowell did in the SWAC. I'd definitely be among the more surprised if he turns out to be anything decent.
No he didn't.

Bronco Billy said:

No he didn't.
Ugh! It was an opinion, obviously different from yours.

Bronco Billy said:

Problem is, that was three years ago. Remember when people thought Marqise Lee was the best WR in the country? Or Matt Barkley was the best QB? Or TJ Yeldon was the best RB?

I think Crowell could have gone through something similar, but did it out of the spotlight of fantasy footballers since it was happening in D2. I think it's entirely possible that Crowell would have been a 4th-5th round draft pick or worse even if he didn't have the maturity issues.

He played some on special teams. I saw he had one tackle. Is it possible that the Browns want to see how he'll react to playing just special teams?
The 4th back the Browns keep will likely also be a special teams guy, so this is entirely possible.

Bronco Billy said:

If you believe Terrance West dominated, then you must believe in boxscore scouting. West looked pretty average on tape and no better than Lorenzo Taliaferro. I'm not really sure how there was less buzz with him. Though, I do like both and have them on a few teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually hoping he gets cut and signed by another team so he can rise up in a less talented backfield like the Texans or Jets.

I dont want to totally cast off Crowell but this is a typical case of FBG promoting a UDFA to be drafted way higher than reasonable. Yes UDFA's pan out but it's a far lower percentage. Instead of Crowell and Lyerla being at the end of drafts Richard Rodgers and John Brown did and now their values are at a reversal when they should have just been drafted higher. Kind of a shoulder shrug on my part. Works out at the end of the day but wasting mid round picks on high risk guys, at least IMO, is not the way to go.

Bronco Billy said:

If you believe Terrance West dominated, then you must believe in boxscore scouting. West looked pretty average on tape and no better than Lorenzo Taliaferro. I'm not really sure how there was less buzz with him. Though, I do like both and have them on a few teams.
To me, West looked significantly better than the other players on the field at that level. Crowell did not, and surely we disagree there. West isn't going to beat anybody in a footrace to the end zone like Crowell can, despite combine 40 times. I just thought that West displayed far better vision, cuts, and knowledge of how to get extra yards than Crowell did.

It's an interesting case, as I do believe that Crowell ultimately has the most upside of the two given his size and speed, but I think West just looks like he understands how to run and be successful in the NFL while Crowell does not.

Bronco Billy said:

To me, West looked significantly better than the other players on the field at that level. Crowell did not, and surely we disagree there. West isn't going to beat anybody in a footrace to the end zone like Crowell can, despite combine 40 times. I just thought that West displayed far better vision, cuts, and knowledge of how to get extra yards than Crowell did.

It's an interesting case, as I do believe that Crowell ultimately has the most upside of the two given his size and speed, but I think West just looks like he understands how to run and be successful in the NFL while Crowell does not.
Their size and speed is virtually identical.

I dont want to totally cast off Crowell but this is a typical case of FBG promoting a UDFA to be drafted way higher than reasonable. Yes UDFA's pan out but it's a far lower percentage. Instead of Crowell and Lyerla being at the end of drafts Richard Rodgers and John Brown did and now their values are at a reversal when they should have just been drafted higher. Kind of a shoulder shrug on my part. Works out at the end of the day but wasting mid round picks on high risk guys, at least IMO, is not the way to go.
This. Everyone wants to be the guy who "discovered" some UDFA who becomes the next Arian Foster. So, there is always some new poster boy each off season. And, most of them never materialize, but no one remembers the wrong calls; but, everyone remembers the one in a million "right" call.

This. Everyone wants to be the guy who "discovered" some UDFA who becomes the next Arian Foster. So, there is always some new poster boy each off season. And, most of them never materialize, but no one remembers the wrong calls; but, everyone remembers the one in a million "right" call.
I totally agree. I made mention of this very thing earlier, prior to the draft when some people were pimping Crowell and Lyerla. I was told I wasn't valuing "upside" enough. I love upside as much as the next guy. The problem is and has been that people are overrating the upside and talent of these players.

I'm actually hoping he gets cut and signed by another team so he can rise up in a less talented backfield like the Texans or Jets.
Ben Tate and T. West don't seem like formidable roadblocks to any RB if he's talented. If there was a guy I liked and believed in, I'd rather him be in Cleveland in terms of talent level ahead of him.

Ben Tate and T. West don't seem like formidable roadblocks to any RB if he's talented. If there was a guy I liked and believed in, I'd rather him be in Cleveland in terms of talent level ahead of him.
He and his agent hand picked Clev, presumably, because they felt it was the best chance for him to make the roster. So, yeah, I'm not sure what other team would be an easier fit.

Just dropped this guy for Joe Morgan.

I held onto this guy for > 2 years in a league that allows drafting of college players. Followed his stats at Alabama State and was encouraged, but I seem to recall that even at Ala St he tailed off drastically the last four weeks or so in 2013.

I held onto this guy for > 2 years in a league that allows drafting of college players. Followed his stats at Alabama State and was encouraged, but I seem to recall that even at Ala St he tailed off drastically the last four weeks or so in 2013.
you are going to wish you had that one back

Im not sure hes going to want it back, but I also don't see a reason to cut him now after holding him for over 2 years.

Can you find me his game logs from 2013 at Alabama St? Apparently this guy is google-resistant.

Ah found some gamelogs.I'll blatantly cherry-pick to make my point. Selecting the 3 worst of his final 5 games at Alabama St., Crowell rushed 26 times for 78 yards (receptions = BIG FAT ZERO).

Crowell left college game in true fizzle fashion, went undrafted, and now cannot earn a single carry in pre-season football.

Maybe he is hurt and comes roaring towards relevance once healed.

Im not sure hes going to want it back, but I also don't see a reason to cut him now after holding him for over 2 years.
Unless you can taxi rookies or have abnormally high roster limits I'm guessing he gets cut in just about every league within a week.

Remember when the FF community groupthink was pimping this guy on every podcast over the summer? That was fun.

I totally agree. I made mention of this very thing earlier, prior to the draft when some people were pimping Crowell and Lyerla. I was told I wasn't valuing "upside" enough.I love upside as much as the next guy. The problem is and has been that people are overrating the upside and talent of these players.
I think that at the end of your roster, anyone available is still unlikely to help your team that much. That's just the nature of the guys that are left at that point in the draft.

Think about the Joe Morgan pick-up someone in this thread mentioned. Are we really going to say that opting for Joe Morgan is the obviously better move to help your team? I wouldn't. Sure, he'll score more fantasy points than Crowell will if Crowell doesn't make the 53. So in that sense he brings more to the table. But what are the circumstances that would need to fall into place for us to start him in a game AND for him to be productive when it happens? Catching a few bombs over the course of the season sitting on your bench isn't helping your team anymore than is Crowell sitting on the practice squad. So for Joe Morgan to really help your team compared to Crowell, or anyone else you could go add from the waiver wire in any given week, you would basically need the same type of lightning to strike for Morgan that you say won't strike for Crowell.

It's akin to saying that the smart money is on taking a guy that only has a 5% chance of making an impact over a guy that has a 1% chance of making an impact. Sure, your odds of hitting are 5 times greater, but the odds of missing are still drastically against you. That really is splitting hairs. And in all things gambling related, which fantasy football certainly is, it's never just about the odds, it's also about the stakes...which is why upside matters.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/4/16/5612080/isaiah-crowell-2014-nfl-draft-profile

Crowell is one of the two most naturally talented running backs in this class (along with Carlos Hyde) and early on I like him as a change-of-pace style back.

The one asset of Crowell's running ability that did not blow me away was his actual elusiveness. He can beat defenders in a number of ways, but ultimately was not very elusive or creative in how he did it. He has good short area explosion but seems to struggle when forced to change direction or string together moves. He is very much so a downhill runner, and while there is nothing wrong with that, he will not be able to outrun NFL defenses like he did in college.

Personally I was considering a move similar to what was stated above: late® rnd addition just on the chance per say But I need to say thank-you for enlightening me.

imho what you see in quotes above is probably somewhat correct.

I tell ya what though, I sure do wish some names that I recognized better were behind Crowell. Anyway I did find a video where Crowell states he was having an issue w his hamstring, but it wasn't nothing serious. But the hammy could explain the slower startup? I dunno

fwiw I like the choice in teams to an extent! However as soon as next Season, I would have preferred the Falcons.

Unless you can taxi rookies or have abnormally high roster limits I'm guessing he gets cut in just about every league within a week.
I wouldn't even consider cutting him unless I saw him fail on the field. I've formed an opinion of what I think he will be and that won't change until I see him play. If he gets cut before he plays, I'll just wait until he signs elsewhere and gets a chance.

I wouldn't even consider cutting him unless I saw him fail on the field. I've formed an opinion of what I think he will be and that won't change until I see him play. If he gets cut before he plays, I'll just wait until he signs elsewhere and gets a chance.
It depends how deep your roster is--whether it is a value play to have this kind of optimism. If you have deep leagues, why not? My league only allows 22 players and no IR or taxi squad. If he doesn't show something pretty good this weekend he is droppable in such leagues.

It depends how deep your roster is--whether it is a value play to have this kind of optimism. If you have deep leagues, why not? My league only allows 22 players and no IR or taxi squad. If he doesn't show something pretty good this weekend he is droppable in such leagues.
I own him in such a league. If he is DNP again, I will not be dropping him.

This makes little sense unless your team is in rebuild mode. A league like that would only allow for 264 players to be rostered and you going to waste a spot on a guy who likely isn't even rosters by the NFL? Who would you cut instead?

A lot of people sunk relatively higher draft picks swinging for the fences on Crowell hype. Not sure what his value is now but I can't think most would be able to recover near that value right now in trades. Probably makes more sense to ride it out and hope he manages to show some of his alleged talent. But those in tighter roster situations and eating the pick does make some sense to me. He's the definition of boom or bust and right now it's not looking good.

This makes little sense unless your team is in rebuild mode. A league like that would only allow for 264 players to be rostered and you going to waste a spot on a guy who likely isn't even rosters by the NFL? Who would you cut instead?
I have a pretty strong team, but If I had to make a cut, I guess it would be Alex Smith or Da'Rick Rogers. I really don't think it will play out where Crowell is not rostered by an NFL team.

Rotoworld:

Browns rookie RB Isaiah Crowell has two carries for three yards through two preseason games.

It's not a good sign for the ballyhooed UDFA, who is running behind Ben Tate, Terrance West, and Dion Lewis, while Chris Ogbonnaya is an impact special teamer. We've seen it suggested the Browns want to "hide" Crowell in an effort to stash him on the practice squad, but everyone in the NFL knows who Crowell is. (And no one drafted him.) He seems like a roster long shot in Cleveland.

Aug 19 - 7:37 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Browns rookie RB Isaiah Crowell has two carries for three yards through two preseason games.

It's not a good sign for the ballyhooed UDFA, who is running behind Ben Tate, Terrance West, and Dion Lewis, while Chris Ogbonnaya is an impact special teamer. We've seen it suggested the Browns want to "hide" Crowell in an effort to stash him on the practice squad, but everyone in the NFL knows who Crowell is. (And no one drafted him.) He seems like a roster long shot in Cleveland.

Aug 19 - 7:37 PM
Actually that does sound like something a Shanahan would do.

Those who are wishing him to get cut may see that granted. He's obviously not impressing the CLE coaches at all. I won't even comment on how bad he looked on his runs against other guys likely to be cut because the sample size is so small.

Not even a carry in the 3rd preseason game. Was he even on the field at all? Doesn't look good for Crowell. Probably gets cut at this point.

That was a waste. At least it was only a mid 3rd.
Sarcasm? Should I bring up the list of rookie prospects some passed on spending a 3rd/4th on him and Lyerla? Richardson, John Brown, Richard Rodgers, I've even seen Blake Bortles go after them.

I will say that those who drafted him shouldn't necessarily cast him aside... Ya it was a reach but I'm sure in deep leagues he'd still be given a chance by a savvy owner at the end of their bench. The hate wagon will probably be coming out soon given that he is burning owners right now.

I will say that those who drafted him shouldn't necessarily cast him aside... Ya it was a reach but I'm sure in deep leagues he'd still be given a chance by a savvy owner at the end of their bench. The hate wagon will probably be coming out soon given that he is burning owners right now.
:goodposting: You made a mistake drafting himwhere you did, but don't compound the mistake by cutting him too soon.

:goodposting: You made a mistake drafting himwhere you did, but don't compound the mistake by cutting him too soon.
he might get an audition somewhere that is RB needy. an opportunity - which i don't think he had really in Cleveland - is really all an owner could hope for.

Users who are viewing this thread