What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (2 Viewers)

Sitting him for Hill; I likely fell for coach-speak (indicating Hill in line for bulk of touches). Like Bloom said, it's a coin-flip between these two
Even in December the esteemed Sigmund Bloom was still undecided about these two players. This offseason Hill's value has skyrocketed while I've heard nary a peep about Crowell. Interesting.
not hearing a peep re: crowell in the offseason is a good thing.

Spent a late 3rd on him as well, and my hope is for him to just wait and learn. Tate WILL get hurt, Baker and Ogbonnaya are just guys and I doubt they would give every single carry to West even thought the reports are pretty good on him so far. That makes Crowell's wait for carries not very long and I'm expecting to see him get some useful snaps this year. Hopefully that leads to us getting a good enough read if he has it or not.
Update?

Sitting him for Hill; I likely fell for coach-speak (indicating Hill in line for bulk of touches). Like Bloom said, it's a coin-flip between these two
Even in December the esteemed Sigmund Bloom was still undecided about these two players. This offseason Hill's value has skyrocketed while I've heard nary a peep about Crowell. Interesting.
I hear that. No news is good news for him.

I hear that. No news is good news for him.
he's been doing community work, speaking on 2nd chances and coached at RIvals too.

got his head on straight, it seems. which is key

A lot of people were stating that he was the most talented back in the draft last year. Say he's got his head on straight, where do you rank him compared to this years guys? He just turned 22 so he's really young still.

I am a fan of the Crow. I like him long term for sure. I hope he finally has it together because his talent is there as long as his head is on straight. Glad I own him in FF.

A lot of people were stating that he was the most talented back in the draft last year. Say he's got his head on straight, where do you rank him compared to this years guys? He just turned 22 so he's really young still.
Listen, I haven't been shy at all about my love for 2 backs all year last year... Mason and Crowell.

If Crowell has worked on holding on to the ball, he'll win the job. Of that, I am confident. He's a beast.

Healthy o-line and some draft reinforcements will help as well.

Listen, I haven't been shy at all about my love for 2 backs all year last year... Mason and Crowell.

If Crowell has worked on holding on to the ball, he'll win the job. Of that, I am confident. He's a beast.

I really like Crowell's chances of being truly special. He has that 'it' factor. That is why I was surprised by the headline on ESPN this morning: "Kiper: Gurley to Cleveland in Mock Draft 4.0"

Now, I get it this is merely one of many mock drafts, but I wonder what it is that led to Kiper predicting the Browns would use that pick on a RB when they appear to have bigger needs and a couple quality options at RB in Crowell and West.

I really like Crowell's chances of being truly special. He has that 'it' factor. That is why I was surprised by the headline on ESPN this morning: "Kiper: Gurley to Cleveland in Mock Draft 4.0"

Now, I get it this is merely one of many mock drafts, but I wonder what it is that led to Kiper predicting the Browns would use that pick on a RB when they appear to have bigger needs and a couple quality options at RB in Crowell and West.
I've seen a ton of mocks this off season with Clev taking a RB. Gurley ups the ante but it's not that much of an outlier.

Why couldn't he take the job from West last year? And why should his ability to do so this year be judged higher?

If CLE is spending a 3rd or higher on RB again this year it's because they feel there is something missing.

Granted that something is as likely to be in West's game as in Crowell's. But still, cause for concern

I think lots of the general public isn't aware of the talent in the Browns back field. All they know is that they didnt have a super star last year. I think this board generally way ahead of the curve on offensive players but Crowell especially.

We forget that Joe Average doesn't know know who the back ups are much less multiple backs on almost every team.

The experts that do mock drafts are doing them for those people not us. It's a "Oh, I wonder who my team is going to pick."

Also, I think it's easy to do a write up. I haven't read any mock draft stuff on Cleveland or really the RBs but I bet it goes something like..

"The Brown's QB situation is in turmoil (and also rehab) and they need someone to help with that. If Cleveland can land RB-X to help take some of the pressure off of the pass game it could pay off, both now and long term. The Browns do have some potential break out players in the backfield now but RB-X could bring the offensive punch they needed last year."

Wow, what?

Gurley? What an idiotic move that'd be

I've seen a ton of mocks this off season with Clev taking a RB. Gurley ups the ante but it's not that much of an outlier.
Thanks. Admittedly, I've not looked at many mocks this year. It certainly would not surprise me to see Cleveland take a RB at some point after the first round, but if they use a first round pick to select either Gurley or Gordon, that drastically changes the outlook for Crowell (and West).

I'll tell you what.

If Gordon or Gurley is drafted, I will leave the forum, completely. No questions asked.

There is absolutely NO WAY this happens. It's absolutely ludicrous to even project. These guys are clearly pandering to draft morons who know probably think Manziel stated the entire year last year and Manning is still a Colt.

I think lots of the general public isn't aware of the talent in the Browns back field. All they know is that they didnt have a super star last year. I think this board generally way ahead of the curve on offensive players but Crowell especially.

We forget that Joe Average doesn't know know who the back ups are much less multiple backs on almost every team.

The experts that do mock drafts are doing them for those people not us. It's a "Oh, I wonder who my team is going to pick."

Also, I think it's easy to do a write up. I haven't read any mock draft stuff on Cleveland or really the RBs but I bet it goes something like..

"The Brown's QB situation is in turmoil (and also rehab) and they need someone to help with that. If Cleveland can land RB-X to help take some of the pressure off of the pass game it could pay off, both now and long term. The Browns do have some potential break out players in the backfield now but RB-X could bring the offensive punch they needed last year."
exactly. a RB to Cleveland in the first round is a wasted pick.

Wow, what?

Gurley? What an idiotic move that'd be
So we should lock it up for the Browns then.....

...sorry couldn't resist.

signed,

a Jets fan who took the "dysfunctional" abuse for years.

Thanks. Admittedly, I've not looked at many mocks this year. It certainly would not surprise me to see Cleveland take a RB at some point after the first round, but if they use a first round pick to select either Gurley or Gordon, that drastically changes the outlook for Crowell (and West).
I don't personally think its a priority for CLEV to draft a RB early. I just think at their range and having 2 1st it's kind of a luxury to be able to take a RB as the BPA. I can't really argue there. If Gurley is available with their 2nd pick he's undoubtly the BPA IMO and he's better than what they have at RB. I still find it unlikely, though.

Why couldn't he take the job from West last year? And why should his ability to do so this year be judged higher?

If CLE is spending a 3rd or higher on RB again this year it's because they feel there is something missing.

Granted that something is as likely to be in West's game as in Crowell's. But still, cause for concern
I think he had trouble with assignments on plays. He was only 21 years old. I think he failed in some meetings and got benched. Just guessing but that makes sense to me. That said I agree with the second half of your statement. If Cleveland goes RB before Saturday I'd say that really hurts the prospects of both West and Crowell because they have so many needs.

If I was Cleveland I'd grab a QB on Thursday and Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't personally think its a priority for CLEV to draft a RB early. I just think at their range and having 2 1st it's kind of a luxury to be able to take a RB as the BPA. I can't really argue there. If Gurley is available with their 2nd pick he's undoubtly the BPA IMO and he's better than what they have at RB. I still find it unlikely, though.
Charlie Casserly put it best when discussing Gurley, Gordon and the Cowboys. If Gordon is there they take him. If Gurley's there they don't take him because his knee didn't pass medical. Same with the Browns. They only way Gurley is there is if he's got a medical flag.

I honestly expect Cleveland to be a little gun shy about using a first rounder on a RB after drafting Trent Richardson so highly in the first place. They dodged a bullet by getting Indy to trade for him. I know teams try not to let a past mistake influence them to pass on a premiere talent at the same position, but when you combine that with NFL teams' demonstrable recent tendency to wait until the second or third round to pick RBs, it seems there is little reason for CLE to pick a RB that early. And, they are well positioned to avoid drafting a RB early in any event with Crowell and West in the fold.

Can we stop discussing a first round RB?

It's just not happening. It's literally the ONE position we don't need help.

Crowell ranked last (42nd out of 42) in Pro Football Focus's elusiveness rating, with only 1.87 yards after contact per carry and only 10 missed tackles on 157 touches.

good teams take BPA while us bottom tier teams are always reaching for DBs out of need. passing on stud RBs is exactly what made the browns scramble to trade up and then overpay for west last season. both were in the dog house (no pun intended) with pettine last season and there is a new offensive coordinator in town. If they want a stud RB in the first i dont see an UDFA or a 3rd rounder stopping them.

Crowell ranked last (42nd out of 42) in Pro Football Focus's elusiveness rating, with only 1.87 yards after contact per carry and only 10 missed tackles on 157 touches.
Also worth noting with polamalu retiring we can expect crowells ypc to drop by about 3, wont be able to pad his stats with 2 games against a lost and out of position polamalu again.

4.1ypc, 8TDs, 700 total yards, 157 touches.

Amazing what qualifies as a bust on FBG in 2015.
Please quote one person that called him a bust.

He was an UDFA. Pretty tough for him to be a bust.
If your rookie RB puts up those kind of numbers on only 157 touches, and you draft ANOTHER rb in the 1st round, that's basically the team admitting he's a bust.

People defending taking Gordon/Gurley in the first, are by default, calling Crowell a bust

:lmao: it's always Soulfly and whoever he's pimping vs the world.

No one has called him a bust... he's been in the league for a year. Even most of the wet blankets around here won't start calling guys out until the first game into their second season.

If your rookie RB puts up those kind of numbers on only 157 touches, and you draft ANOTHER rb in the 1st round, that's basically the team admitting he's a bust.

People defending taking Gordon/Gurley in the first, are by default, calling Crowell a bust
:lmao:

Soulfly3 said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Soulfly3 said:

What?

If the Browns are looking to win with defense and a strong running game, and at pick 19 Gurley is the highest rated player on their board having two decent runners on their team shouldn't stop them from taking him.

I'm not advocating for the Browns to take a running back, and I am not saying they will - and no one has said anything stronger than what I said above.

Crowell looks like an average to above average back to me. He's a grinder and a team can certainly win with him - but if (and only if) Gurley is rated by the team as a top level prospect at the position, taking him and building an offense around him would not be a bad pick. Crowell would then make good depth behind your stud (which doesn't in the slightest make him a bust).

I'm sure if the Browns do take him, we'll be subject to 100s of posts calling Gurley the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell took the first snap with the starters at Tuesday's OTA session.

Crowell emerged from Cleveland's 2014 jumble as the best early-down option, averaging 4.10 YPC while earning double-digit carries in six of the final eight games. There will be week-to-week competition and some mixing and matching based on opponent, but the starter's job is Crowell's to lose. Rookie Duke Johnson profiles mostly as a passing down back and Terrance West projects as a backup at both spots. With C Alex Mack back from his broken leg, there will be mid-round upside in the talented Crowell.

Related: Terrance West, Duke Johnson

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
May 26 - 11:17 AM

I did too. Addition by subtraction actually. I had a guy make me a trade offer that included Terrance West. Not sure why but the trade went like this:

I offer:

Ameer Abdullah

2016 2nd rounder

for

Devante Parker

then he countered with

Ameer Abdullah

Terrance West

for

Devante Parker

2016 2nd rounder

I jumped on it. So I guess I'm all in on the Crow. I was one pick away from drafting Duke Johnson before that trade went down and to be honest, the only one I really like is Crowell. I think West and Duke are compliments to him.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes Isaiah Crowell will be the Browns' early-down back this season.

Despite the praise rookie RB Duke Johnson has earned this offseason, the Browns have already stated the plan is to use him in a Gio Bernard-type role on third downs and in passing situations. That leaves Crowell and Terrance West to battle it out for early-down work. Crowell is simply more talented than West, and he should garner a significant portion of what should be a voluminous rushing attack. He is a value at his current seventh-round ADP.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
Jun 13 - 10:10 AM

I bought a share of Crow a week or so ago, paid a 2016 2nd (late). It is a 4 yr max contract league, but we have a two man 2nd year squad that I can stash Crow on for this season. If I had to give him a contract immediately I would not have liked it as much.

I do think he is the best runner on the team. Go team Crow!

Breakout or bust? Studying sophomore RBs: Part 2

Excerpt:

Terrance West & Isaiah Crowell, CLEPRIMER

The Browns signed the crown jewel of the free agent running back class in 2014 in Ben Tate, but he was eventually cut and it was a combination of Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell who led the charge on the ground. With new rookie Duke Johnson joining the mix, this will be a three-headed race for touches that could give fantasy owners fits all season long.

2014 IN REVIEW

West was a much touted sleeper among draftniks and fantasy fans alike, hailing from the small school of Towson. He notched 100 rushing yards in his first game, and surpassed 94 two other times en route to leading the team in rushing. West is a classic one-cut runner, who has solid vision and power, but lacks real breakaway speed. He is decisive in his reads and rarely gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage unless his blocking goes horribly wrong. Crowell is the bigger, faster, stronger back, with equally as good of vision. He was certainly the big-play threat in the backfield, and per Pro Football Focus had the fifth-highest breakaway percentage of running backs who had at least 25 percent of their team's carries. The only trouble with Crowell is that he sometimes waits too long trying to find a home-run hole and gets tackled for a big loss. On one particular play, he drifted along the line all the way to the sideline for an 8-yard loss instead of driving up field to make something out of nothing. But, the good far outweighs the bad with Crowell based on what he put on tape in 2014.

2015 AND BEYOND

I was really liking this tandem as a nice one-two fantasy punch in 2015, with both offering value in the RB2 to RB3 range, but now with Duke Johnson in the mix this backfield is completely muddled. Johnson figures to eat into the backfield targets, as the team has even reported giving him reps at wide receiver. That means West and Crowell will be duking it out for carries, likely both staying in the 10-15 range per game (if that). This is bad news for West, who was more of a volume runner in 2014. In the six games where he had 15 or more carries, he averaged 12-plus fantasy points per contest, versus a mere 3.4 in the nine where he had fewer than 15 totes (he was a healthy scratch in Week 6). Crowell on the other hand, given his propensity for the big play (and nose for the end zone) will have greater upside in Cleveland, even if Johnson gets a healthy amount of touches.

2015 DRAFT VALUE

Static: I'm breaking the rules here, but until we know more about how this backfield will look once the pads come on later in July, it is truly impossible to predict. If you're drafting before then, however, both West and Crowell (as well as Johnson) need to be drafted in standard leagues. There will be a leader in this backfield ... we'll just have to wait and see who it is.

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell - RB - Browns

ClevelandBrowns.com expects the team to go with a "hot-hand strategy" at running back.

Writer Kevin Jones is simply echoing comments OC John DeFilippo made last month. Nearly all signs point toward Isaiah Crowell getting the first chance at establishing the "hot hand," with rookie Duke Johnson carving out a role in passing situations. For now at least, Terrance West is the odd man out.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com

Jul 16 - 4:58 PM

I like Duke Johnson a lot, especially in PPR. I think he will find his way on the field more and more once he proves he is reliable.

Rotoworld:

The Akron Beacon Journal still considers Isaiah Crowell the favorite to start at running back for the Browns.

Third-round rookie Duke Johnson has generated far more offseason buzz, but by all accounts the Browns view Johnson as a passing-game specialist and scatback type. Crowell should be Cleveland's thumper between the tackles and go-to back on red-zone carries. Entering his second NFL season after an eight-TD rookie year, Crowell is an intriguing eighth-round fantasy pick.

Source: Akron Beacon Journal
Jul 24 - 2:29 PM

Working on projections and was shock that Cleveland had 16 rushing td's. With below average QB play and turnover on WR/TE, I don't see game plan changing this season. If Crowell can hold onto starting gig, he could have a big FF impact.

I agree. I think he could be awesome. Tons of people last year said he was the best runner in the draft. If he's even in Jeremy Hill's zip code he could make some real noise.

Here's the thing, if Crowell is the week one starter and he goes 22-110-2, he will stay the starter. If he goes 15-35, he's not going to. Che's the key to this. With Mack coming back I think he's got a good chance to succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread