Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Are dynasty holders bailing too, or is there some hope for Crowell to be more than an Andre Williams plodder type?

Just moved him for a 3rd round pick. Didnt think twice. The guy was undrafted. Edited by georg013
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ravens that had a murderer for his entire tenure? 

totally coulda got him at 5.01, noob

God, I forgot how much of a ####-measuring contest the Shark Pool can be.  Thanks for reminding me, guys.  See you in another year.

Pettine is RB poison.

Yes, no other way around it.

No need for the naysayers to come out and say "but someone needs to emerge, etc."

I owned 2 shares of the Cleveland backfield last year, and it was like dart throwing each week to see who was going to get any points.

There was one specific night game where I was watching and 2 RB's in the Cleveland backfield had TD's, and of course I started the one who hadn't scored......I believe at the time it was Terrence West. (he ultimately scored that game, I think all three Cleveland backs scored that game) :ph34r:

I got trapped into getting what I was thinking was "good value" late in drafts this year snagging Crowell very late.

One league I traded Crowell for Lamar Miller, and the other I outright cut him, and I sleep better at night because of it. :excited:

I make notes every year all along and when the season is over, things to think about when drafting the following year.

This is my first rule on the sheet this year.

RULE#1 - Stay away from any Cleveland running back, no matter the draft selection or value.

TZM

Duke Johnson doesn't seem to be having any problems. He's been the #18 RB in PPR since getting healthy in week 3.
Duke Johnson doesn't seem to be having any problems. He's been the #18 RB in PPR since getting healthy in week 3.

I knew someone would step up and point out he was relevant in PPR.

A - I have no issue with that, but I play standard, thats what most people play.

(if you do play PPR, then thats cool as it does look interesting, its just not what I am into)

B - You now have a Turbin to deal with. Thats one thing you didn't have to at all, until last week.

C - You also now have a bit of a QB problem. McCown was supposedly in " a lot of pain" in the post game interview.

So you may have to deal with Manziel~!!!, or even Austin Davis. :ph34r:

Combine those three factors and I just don't see any need for him to be rostered in many standard leagues.

I can envision a scenario with 4 or more RB injuries to a team that may have drafted poorly, those things happen.

The guy may very well blow up......... (I am even a fan of the guy) but I am content to let him blow up on someone else's team.

Believe it or not, I have even been a fan of Cleveland for years. I tend to root for underdogs.

I just won't be owning any shares of a Cleveland backfield for the foreseeable future.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie

A - I have no issue with that, but I play standard, thats what most people play.

(if you do play PPR, then thats cool as it does look interesting, its just not what I am into)

B - You now have a Turbin to deal with. Thats one thing you didn't have to at all, until last week.

C - You also now have a bit of a QB problem. McCown was supposedly in " a lot of pain" in the post game interview.

So you may have to deal with Manziel~!!!, or even Austin Davis. :ph34r:

Combine those three factors and I just don't see any need for him to be rostered in many standard leagues.

I can envision a scenario with 4 or more RB injuries to a team that may have drafted poorly, those things happen.

The guy may very well blow up......... (I am even a fan of the guy) but I am content to let him blow up on someone else's team.

Believe it or not, I have even been a fan of Cleveland for years. I tend to root for underdogs.

I just won't be owning any shares of a Cleveland backfield for the foreseeable future.

TZM

If you play standard, point taken. I'm not sure most leagues are standard anymore, though. I'm in over 10 leagues and only 1 is standard. Some of those leagues used to be standard but have migrated over to PPR.

It looks like Turbin is a threat to Crow, not so much Duke. Duke had a good game again yesterday with Turbin coming along. Crow didn't. I'd like to see the snap counts to get a better feel.

The QB play is bad in Clev. McCown was playing well but did anyone really expect that to be sustained? The QB play is more an issue for the WRs IMO. Duke can still catch a bunch of dump offs with other, bad QBs.

In PPR, I think Duke is a pretty safe bet right now. In standard, not so much.

Edited by jurb26

If Crowell is losing carries to Turbin, then it says a lot about Crowell.

the writings been on the wall since the preseason. There's something there that they don't particularly like.

Also, I think it's pretty clear now that it wasn't the Clev O-line that was the reason for their strong run game last year but Kyle Shannahan. Is it a coincidence that Clev was great running the ball last year when Kyle was there and they've fallen off the cliff this year while last year the Falcons were horrid running the ball and now Freeman has been the best RB in football?

the writings been on the wall since the preseason. There's something there that they don't particularly like.

Also, I think it's pretty clear now that it wasn't the Clev O-line that was the reason for their strong run game last year but Kyle Shannahan. Is it a coincidence that Clev was great running the ball last year when Kyle was there and they've fallen off the cliff this year while last year the Falcons were horrid running the ball and now Freeman has been the best RB in football?

I dunno.

But very much the way LeVeon Bell looked different after his rookie year, Freeman looks like a different player. I had him last year, he didn't look this quick. I am willing to believe he just improved. Got in better shape, maybe he shook off an injury, maybe he decided to hit the hole harder. I probably think the coaching change had something to do with it as well, but I cannot guess if it was Shanahan raising the level, or the team overall no longer under-achieving.

No matter who is coaching, a guy who was supposed to be the 'most talented RB in the draft' should be doing more than this, and shouldn't be seeing a guy like Turbin (definition of JAG) steal carries. I expect apologist will blame Pettine, but really, what has Crowell done to earn his spot?

Is he ready for the Duron Carter/Da'Rick Rogers scrap heap? Not quite yet. But he's getting close.

I dunno.

But very much the way LeVeon Bell looked different after his rookie year, Freeman looks like a different player. I had him last year, he didn't look this quick. I am willing to believe he just improved. Got in better shape, maybe he shook off an injury, maybe he decided to hit the hole harder. I probably think the coaching change had something to do with it as well, but I cannot guess if it was Shanahan raising the level, or the team overall no longer under-achieving.

No matter who is coaching, a guy who was supposed to be the 'most talented RB in the draft' should be doing more than this, and shouldn't be seeing a guy like Turbin (definition of JAG) steal carries. I expect apologist will blame Pettine, but really, what has Crowell done to earn his spot?

Is he ready for the Duron Carter/Da'Rick Rogers scrap heap? Not quite yet. But he's getting close.

I don't want to turn this into a Michael thread but Michael was one of the most talented players in the draft too....it takes more than just talent to succeed in the NFL and like Michael, there seems to be more to this picture than we know as there have been rumbles in the offseason and regular season about Crowell and missing holes, not wanting it enough, whatever.

Cool that you're not into PPR, but saying that most people play standard is demonstrably false.

Using MFL as a representative sample, since they support ALL types of leagues, and their 2015 ADP results:

PPR leagues: somewhere north of 13,600 (because this includes all league/draft types - redraft, keeper, dynasty, rookie-only), not every player will be taken in every draft.

Standard leagues: somewhere north of 3,474 (same stipulations as above)

I dunno.

I don't want to turn this into a Michael thread but Michael was one of the most talented players in the draft too....it takes more than just talent to succeed in the NFL and like Michael, there seems to be more to this picture than we know as there have been rumbles in the offseason and regular season about Crowell and missing holes, not wanting it enough, whatever.

The talent is there. The desire to be great may not be. He's hands down the most dangerous RB threat they have because he can run with power and catch the ball. Could be that CLE doesn't have th coaching makeup to bring out the best in him. After all they are a crew of total losers themselves.

i wouldn't start him until he shows something. he's barely a hold in dynasty circles, i think.

If anything worthwhile was out there, I'd drop him in my dynasty league as nobody seems to have any interest in even giving me a late rookie pick for him.

The games speak the truth, and the coaching staff just doesn't like or trust Crowell. They drafted a rookie RB relatively early and even gave a roster space to an injured RB to take away carries from him.

His only chance of fantasy relevance is with another coaching staff or another team and even then, he would seem to be a one dimensional RB. I'm not sure it will be worth the wait.

Cool that you're not into PPR, but saying that most people play standard is demonstrably false.

Using MFL as a representative sample, since they support ALL types of leagues, and their 2015 ADP results:

PPR leagues: somewhere north of 13,600 (because this includes all league/draft types - redraft, keeper, dynasty, rookie-only), not every player will be taken in every draft.

Standard leagues: somewhere north of 3,474 (same stipulations as above)

Well, I think using MFL as an example is hardly an excellent representation of what the entire fantasy community is embracing currently.

I would be willing to bet if we used Yahoo as an example, their percentage of "standard" scoring leagues would be much higher than MFL.

Because there are a number of "non standard" type scoring they don't support..... wouldn't this make their overall numbers skewed towards a greater percentage of "standard" type scoring?

(your post seemed to indicate that PPR is roughly 4 times as popular as standard, which I am fairly certain that is not the case, though it MAY be the case on MFL)

Anyway, this is not very important to the value of Duke Johnson. No need to try and argue what scoring you may prefer, or my favorite either.

You may want to snag Johnson, and more power to you if you do, and good luck.

He just isn't going to be a major factor on any of my teams, nor will be be taking up a roster spot, unless some truly wild events happen down the stretch.

Another poster noted their "brutal schedule" , and in fact thats something I noticed as a Crowell owner earlier in the season.

I try and pay particular attention to late season, when it comes to players like this, that may or may not be in my roster regularly, when the time comes Thats just another reason to steer clear in my opinion.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know what to do with this guy. My RB situation is absolutely brutal, so I feel like I can't cut a guy who gets double-digit touches every week. Yet I was still unwilling to start him last week. Any hope here or should I just give up?

Edited by Long Ball Larry

I don't know what to do with this guy. My RB situation is absolutely brutal, so I feel like I can't cut a guy who gets double-digit touches every week. Yet I was still unwilling to start him last week. Any hope here or should I just give up?

Well they got rid of Turbin which is obviously a pretty huge plus for him moving forward. I have no idea why they signed him in the first place, I truly dislike this coaching staff.

The schedule is pretty brutal with only SF being a plus match-up moving forward. I don't know how confident I feel about him in his divisional games vs. PIT (twice), BAL and CIN coming up plus he faces SEA and KC in weeks 15/16 which blows.

He's available in both of my leagues and I'm really not sure he's going to be picked up any time soon. It would take a Duke injury for him to be relevant. He actually has looked pretty damn good catching the ball out of the backfield this year.

Caw-Caw-Cough cough cough....

I'm going to say this over and over until it happens... god willing.

The Crow is VASTLY improved this season in both his running, and mostly his catching ability.

This guy gets the rock 20 times a game, and he puts up 100yds without difficulty. This guy is MADE to destroy tired defenses late in games... Infuriates me to see my team misuse him and limit his touches.

And yes, Duke is good (in the pass game, he stinks as a runner). I like Duke. But Crow should be a 20 touch back

Edited by Soulfly3

I've been impressed with Crowell when I've seen him. Decent receiver and violent runner. Reminds me of Ivory with the Saints. Probably doesn't get a feature role until his rookie deal is up and he goes somewhere else.

Duke is one of the most elusive backs in the league. The coaches are correct in using him more in the passing game.

Running dive plays inside the 5 with Johnson? Yeah, that's ####### moronic.

Last season, Crowdaddy went 9 of 14 in the pass game, for 87yds (9.7 clip) and no TDs

This season, just 9 games in, 13 of 15 for 160 (12.3 clip) and a TD

Crow to me, isn't a pass catching back, and Duke has shown to be deadly in that aspect... But the numbers and the eye test dont lie. Crow is a feature back. can be used in the run and pass game... on a team willing to do so.

And most importantly... his fumble issues seem to have... well.. disappeared

I was surprised to see no one pick him up this week. People spent 25% FAAB on James White but nothing for Crowell who to me is pretty clearly the best RB available. If Latavius sits due to a concussion, Im stuck starting Chris Polk. I wanted to give Polk more than 1 game before dropping him but I guess his and Crowell's situations are pretty similar and I'd say up to this point Crowell has shown more. Hmm..

I was surprised to see no one pick him up this week. People spent 25% FAAB on James White but nothing for Crowell who to me is pretty clearly the best RB available. If Latavius sits due to a concussion, Im stuck starting Chris Polk. I wanted to give Polk more than 1 game before dropping him but I guess his and Crowell's situations are pretty similar and I'd say up to this point Crowell has shown more. Hmm..

Same here. Was shocked to see him just sitting out there this AM.

Last season, Crowdaddy went 9 of 14 in the pass game, for 87yds (9.7 clip) and no TDs

Crow to me, isn't a pass catching back, and Duke has shown to be deadly in that aspect... But the numbers and the eye test dont lie. Crow is a feature back. can be used in the run and pass game... on a team willing to do so.

The fumbles arent the only things to disappear. Sadly, so has his production. This guy is worthless and its about time we stop trying to spin this into something positive. He sucks and has had plenty of opportunities to do something, nay... ANYTHING with the ball and he has fallen flat on his face. Continuing to pimp this kid only tarnishes your reputation. Get off now. Edited by georg013

The fumbles arent the only things to disappear. Sadly, so has his production. This guy is worthless and its about time we stop trying to spin this into something positive. He sucks and has had plenty of opportunities to do something, nay... ANYTHING with the ball and he has fallen flat on his face. Continuing to pimp this kid only tarnishes validates your reputation. Get off now.

Fixed

• Like 1

Didn't he have a TD run negated by penalty?

But still, what a bust this season. He's an albatross on my dynasty team: I have no idea what to do with this guy.

I have an app on my phone that zaps me with 500 watts if I attempt to pick up a Browns player.\

But still, what a bust this season. He's an albatross on my dynasty team: I have no idea what to do with this guy.

I think one might be able to get a second round rookie pick for him and that would probably be a good move.

I have an app on my phone that zaps me with 500 watts if I attempt to pick up a Browns player.\

Benjamin had a good game yesterday & I've used him 2-3 times this year. Duke is a rough start even in PPR. Neither guy can run the ball except in ++ match ups. Lot of similarities to the Lions rushing attack. Predictable usage & terrible results.

I think one might be able to get a second round rookie pick for him and that would probably be a good move.

I'd take it and ruuuuuuun at this point.

Yep, and that would have given him 6.0 points in a standard scoring league for the day.

Edited by Hankmoody

I doubt that. Not the "good move" part, but the other part.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell rushed seven times for seven yards in the Browns' Week 12 loss to the Ravens on Monday night.

As is normally the case, Crowell wasn't targeted in the passing game. He's legitimately been the worst running back in the league this season and is now averaging a pitiful 2.94 YPC on 114 totes with one touchdown. After Crowell went down way too easy and took a lightyear to hit the hole on back-to-back first-half runs, it appeared the coaching staff mostly benched him the rest of the game in favor of Duke Johnson. It's a move that should have been done long ago, but, ya know, the Browns are the Browns. Crowell is zip codes away from fantasy relevance.

Dec 1 - 12:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell rushed seven times for seven yards in the Browns' Week 12 loss to the Ravens on Monday night.

As is normally the case, Crowell wasn't targeted in the passing game. He's legitimately been the worst running back in the league this season and is now averaging a pitiful 2.94 YPC on 114 totes with one touchdown. After Crowell went down way too easy and took a lightyear to hit the hole on back-to-back first-half runs, it appeared the coaching staff mostly benched him the rest of the game in favor of Duke Johnson. It's a move that should have been done long ago, but, ya know, the Browns are the Browns. Crowell is zip codes away from fantasy relevance.

I see your 2.94 YPC and lower you to 2.86

Legitimately the worst RB in the league? I'd say Joique Bell is in the conversation.

Limited practices due to a toe injury. Anything to worry about?

I think there were things to worry about long b/f the toe injury.

Your username suits you.

Well he's right. Crowell has averaged less than 50 yds/gm, 12 carries a game and is going up against a very stingy run D. Hard to imagine that this will all of a sudden be a coming out party for him.

Is he? Standard league ... 3 of 5 games exactly 15 touches in each game and 12, 13 & 15 pts ... pretty much a point per touch

The 2 other games he sucked but only 10 and 12 touches and 1 game was @ Jets who are a very tough D

My bad. nothing at all to worry about with Crowell. He's performing as expected. Carry on.

Performing as Low RB2 ... If you expected anything more the RB3 or RB4 then you are a fool as well as a tool

Nothing to worry about hear fellas. Performing as expected.

Rotoworld:

And he had a few plays where there were yards out there for him if he had any burst at all. He is the textbook example of a "plodder". How can the team possibly justify continuing to use him (and I say this despite owning him in one league)?

Think I may finally cut him in dynasty to pluck some extra defenses for a playoff run.

As an UDFA that has shown very little, it's highly doubtful that he ever has a significant role in the NFL again. The league I own him, I'm in rebuild mode and he was a throw in on a deal I made this season. Since that league has 30 man rosters (12 teams), I'll likely hold him into the offseason, but it's doubtful he sticks on my team heading into next season. His value is minimal.