What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports trophies you have to give back (1 Viewer)

Thorn

Footballguy
Heard on the radio that Phil Mickelson had to give the Claret Jug back so they could engrave it this year and give it to Rory. I didn't realize there was only one Claret Jug. The only other sports trophy you have to give back, that I could think of, is the Stanley Cup. Are there others?

My home league fantasy football league trophy. Not sure if you've heard of it before since we are only trending in South America at the moment.

Saw a strange thing about the Master's Green Jacket. The winner gets to take it with him after the tournament but must return it the next year. It's his for life. But after the first year it has to stay at the club.

There are about 50 of them in NCAA football.

The largest one is the Cannon that UNLV and Nevada exchange.

I think the most famous is Paul Bunyans Axe (Wisconsin and Minnesota)

Saw a strange thing about the Master's Green Jacket. The winner gets to take it with him after the tournament but must return it the next year. It's his for life. But after the first year it has to stay at the club.
Right. Where the player becomes a lifetime member and has his own locker in the most prestigious locker room in the world and gets to wear the jacket to dinner.

Right. Where the player becomes a lifetime member and has his own locker in the most prestigious locker room in the world and gets to wear the jacket to dinner.
If I win a Green Jacket I want to be able to wear it to bars to pick up chicks.

Thorn said:
Heard on the radio that Phil Mickelson had to give the Claret Jug back so they could engrave it this year and give it to Rory. I didn't realize there was only one Claret Jug. The only other sports trophy you have to give back, that I could think of, is the Stanley Cup. Are there others?
What's unique about the Stanley Cup is that it doesn't even belong to the NHL. The Stanley Cup actually belongs to the Hockey Hall of Fame, overseen by trustees. A non-NHL team can actually challenge a team for the Cup. The last time it happened was in the 1970s when the World Hockey Association petitioned the Hall of Fame to challenge the NHL champion for the Cup. The trustees said no, but the NHL did stop referring to its champion as "world champion" for a time in case the challenge was accepted.

The 2005 NHL lockout saw no NHL champ crowned, and they actually considered awarding the Stanley Cup to the top women's hockey team, but it never happened. In 2006, have made it clear that, should the NHL fail to crown a champ again, they will seriously consider awarding the Cup to some non NHL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thorn said:
What's unique about the Stanley Cup is that it doesn't even belong to the NHL. The Stanley Cup actually belongs to the Hockey Hall of Fame, overseen by trustees. A non-NHL team can actually challenge a team for the Cup. The last time is happened was in the 1970s when the World Hockey Association petitioned the Hall of Fame to challenge the NHL champion for the Cup. The trustees said no, but the NHL did stop referring to its champion as "world champion" for a time in case the challenge was accepted.

The 2005 NHL lockout saw no NHL champ crowned, and they actually considered awarding the Stanley Cup to the top women's hockey team, but it never happened. In 2006, have made it clear that, should the NHL fail to crown a champ again, they will seriously consider awarding the Cup to some non NHL team.
Give it to the winner of Tim III

This is one of the few threads that I've actually learned a lot of interesting things I didn't know about before. Good work in here. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thorn said:
What's unique about the Stanley Cup is that it doesn't even belong to the NHL. The Stanley Cup actually belongs to the Hockey Hall of Fame, overseen by trustees. A non-NHL team can actually challenge a team for the Cup. The last time it happened was in the 1970s when the World Hockey Association petitioned the Hall of Fame to challenge the NHL champion for the Cup. The trustees said no, but the NHL did stop referring to its champion as "world champion" for a time in case the challenge was accepted.

surprised some rouge Russia sqaud doesnt try to challenge for the cup

If I win a Green Jacket I want to be able to wear it to bars to pick up chicks.
Maybe pick up other members' wives at the 19th hole?

Thorn said:

Yeah, hockey seems like the one Big Four sport that a team from another country could challenge the league's "World Champion."

Thorn said:

Yeah, hockey seems like the one Big Four sport that a team from another country could challenge the league's "World Champion."
Baseball. Japan or some Latin American countries.

Thorn said:

Basketball too. Some of those foreign teams could probably make it interesting at least.

Huh. Guess I don't watch enough international sports, but don't we pretty much send our has-beens and never-weres to play baseball and basketball abroad?

Thorn said:

Since when do the Russians play for CFL's Grey Cup???

Thorn said:

I presume that would be the Russian Women's team, if they were wearing rouge.

NTTAWWT.

Users who are viewing this thread