What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ways to improve the US by becoming more like the rest of the world (1 Viewer)

F*** the metric system. And soccer is soccer and will be that way until football loses it popularity here.
The "Murica!!!!!!!!! - Love it or Leave It You Commie Bastards" thread is elsewhere
Nope America's not perfect and there are some great suggestions here like lowering the drinking age, more vacation time and more (acceptable) nude beaches. I just don't think adopting the metric system improves our country in any way. Kilometers per Liter? terrible.

I wish we weren't such a gun loving country. I'm not anti-guns but our obsession with guns is over the top imho.

No tipping restaurant servers.

No tipping period. Do your ####### job.
Your unintended consequence would be higher prices.
Up around 10-20 percent would leave it the same price out the door.
I'm not sure how much the price raise would be, but your bill would ALWAYS be that price. With tipping you have the option of how much to tip based on how good the service was.
In that case my local hardware store should lower their prices and install tipping.

I'm not sure how much the price raise would be, but your bill would ALWAYS be that price. With tipping you have the option of how much to tip based on how good the service was.
Service would suck since servers would have much less immediate incentive to work hard. It would be like the restaurants in China where there is no tipping... you have to flag down a waiter EVERY time you want something because there's no incentive for them to come and ask if you need anything.

I certainly have not done a ton of dining in other countries. My understanding of dining and waitering in Europe is that it's considered a real profession, they are paid fairly well, and service is generally good. I know I'm tired of going to restaurants and feeling like my waiter is simply a person who asks me what I want and then carries my plate to the table. Not sure why I pay extra for that.

Really dumb posts that show you don't really understand how the rest of the world works. The only places that have stricter immigration policies would include North Korea and that's about it.
Walk up to the customs window in England or Ireland and tell them you're going to stay and work. You'll be put on a plane back home.

Service would suck since servers would have much less immediate incentive to work hard. It would be like the restaurants in China where there is no tipping... you have to flag down a waiter EVERY time you want something because there's no incentive for them to come and ask if you need anything.
Yeah, I think it works well the way it is. You always have the option not to tip if you choose.

In that case my local hardware store should lower their prices and install tipping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC7-L1hVjgA

Jobber said:

Sure. But expect menu prices to rise accordingly.
Again, i don't care. If labor prices rise I expect end goods to rise. Let market forces dictate the end cost. If this makes all restaurants flow to a fast casual type setup because they can't hold costs down so be it.

More vacation time - like in Europe
This is a big one. We work way too damned much and vacation too little in this country.

My wife and I were each able to get a month off between jobs last year and we did some major traveling. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and probably a once in a lifetime experience for us. Most Americans will NEVER get to do it. Yet many Europeans do it every year.

rename soccer, 'football'
Fun fact. Europeans like to joke that "you don't even play American football with your FEET, dummies". Yet, European football wasn't named that because you play it with your feet anyway. It was named football because it was played ON FOOT, as opposed to the alternatives at the time which were played on horseback. American football fits that definition just as well.

No employer provided healthcare.
As long as we are going single payer universal coverage then I am down with this as well. People have no idea the trouble most states are in on the retirement/healthcare front but they are about to find out.

Corporate tax reform so U.S. corporations can actually bring their cash back into the U.S. without getting slammed for doing so. Lowering the corporate rates down to levels of other countries would be a nice touch, too.

More public eating and drinking. In Europe, every square, park and piazza has tables so servers from the nearby restaurants can bring you food and drinks. Why don't we do this?

Corporate tax reform so U.S. corporations can actually bring their cash back into the U.S. without getting slammed for doing so. Lowering the corporate rates down to levels of other countries would be a nice touch, too.
On average big corporations paid like 12.5% in 2012 IIRC. Some got rebates after posting millions in profit. How much lower you looking to go? That is already roughly ten points lower than any other G7 nation. Oh and they don't get slammed they get taxed. Instead of hiding it they should pay it.

On average big corporations paid like 12.5% in 2012 IIRC. Some got rebates after posting millions in profit. How much lower you looking to go? That is already roughly ten points lower than any other G7 nation. Oh and they don't get slammed they get taxed. Instead of hiding it they should pay it.
He's not talking about changing the domestic rate. He's talking about taxing overseas profits when repatriating funds. We are the only country that does that.

He's not talking about changing the domestic rate. He's talking about taxing overseas profits when repatriating funds. We are the only country that does that.
Not to mention, 2012 was a unique year bc of the loopholes ending. And if they repatriated these funds, the rate would shoot up. But companies won't do this just to prove a point.

Take pride in personal appearance. Even in small towns in Italy and Austria, when people went out for a morning trip to the market, they dressed up. I'm sick of looking at people in their pajamas or sweatpants.

We are already gay and dumb like everyone else. Cant you just be happy with that?
No. I need a law that takes all your guns away, forces you to take in an illegal immigrant family into your house, which you will pay for, and forces you to engage in homosexual sex. Until this happens, this country will never be truly free.

That's not necessarily a problem with the system. Maybe Chinese people just suck.

Metric system= highly overrated. Using words like miles, gallons, and acres sounds much cooler than kilometers, liters, and square meters.

That's not necessarily a problem with the system. Maybe Chinese people just suck.
South America also suffers from this. Europe seemed more dependent on where you went. Germany had great service. France had terrible. I don't enjoy the tipping aspect but after going to Latin America, I have a newfound appreciation for it.

Users who are viewing this thread