What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PPR - Are We Over Correcting in the Modern NFL? (2015 update post #92) (1 Viewer)

TheCommish said:
BigSteelThrill said:
PPR - Are We Over Correcting
Without a doubt.

Try a 0RB mandatory line up.
In my league (full point PPR), if you remove mandatory starter requirements, the top projected starters for 2014 would result in 30 RB, 46 WR and 8 TE. Using final stats from 2013 yields 29 RB, 44 WR and 11 TE. Doesn't seem to be over-correcting at all.
In my full point PPR, we abandoned the requirement to start a RB a couple of seasons ago simply because of the trend towards more passing in the NFL and the devaluing of the RB by RBBC. It felt silly forcing owners to start a mediocre, marginally talented RB simply because we 'had to' over a healthy, productive WR4 or WR5 putting up more points. This also ensured we got the best players 'on the field' rather than leaving points on the waiver wire.

With PPR and RBs also getting 0.2 points per attempt:

1. RB

2. RB

3. RB

4. RB

5. WR

6. RB

7. WR

8. WR

9. WR

10. WR
11. TE
12. WR

Yes PPR is outdated. People have been saying it for quite a few seasons now, myself included. Point per first down should replace it.

PPR jumped the shark a pretty long time ago.

Standard scoring leagues

3 year average RB 12 183.27 11.5ppg RB 24 137.7 8.6ppg (132.25 last 2 seasons 8.27ppg) RB36 98.2 6.1ppg RB 48 74.8 4.7ppg RB60 53.6 3ppg

3 year average WR 12 167.67 10.5ppg WR 24 130.03 8.1ppg WR 36 110.36 6.9ppg WR48 95.63 6ppg WR60 77.46 4.8ppg

Please note how close these scoring levels are to each other over the past 3 years.

PPR scoring leagues

3 year average RB12 223.7 14.6ppg RB 24 166.7 10.4ppg RB36 124.93 7.8ppg RB48 94.4 5.9ppg RB60 67.2 4.2ppg

3 year average WR12 253.9 15.9ppg WR24 197.93 12.4ppg WR36 164.66 10.3ppg WR48 145.13 9ppg WR60 119.2 7.4ppg

In PPR the WR dominates scoring compared to RB now at every level and by margins of over 2ppg at every level except the top 12 which was only a 1.3ppg advantage.

Obviously the disparity between the two positions gets worse if RB are not awarded the same points for the same accomplishment.

The best way to balance positional value is not by PPR or a reduced form of PPR (PPR on 1st down receptions or whatever).

The best way to balance positional value is by playing standard and having starting requirements at WR be double the requirement at RB. So 2RB 4WR 1flex for example.

You guys are arguing about the wrong thing.

It is the starting lineup requirements which truly affects a players value.
Bump
Which is what probably should have been done in the first place rather than including some artificial stat meant only to boost the value of WRs.

Increasing the number of RBs to reduce the value of WRs who's value was inflated too due to PPR is like implementing two wrongs to make a right. It makes a lot more sense to either remove or reduce the artificial WR booster (PPR) than to try to re-correct on the other end.

The best way to balance positional value is by playing standard and having starting requirements at WR be double the requirement at RB. So 2RB 4WR 1flex for example.
You realize this isn't mutually exclusive from PPR/Non-PPR.

You tip the already imbalanced scales back towards non-RB positions by playing PPR, you can further right the ship by having logical starting rosters...

Bump
Which is what probably should have been done in the first place rather than including some artificial stat meant only to boost the value of WRs.

Increasing the number of RBs to reduce the value of WRs who's value was inflated too due to PPR is like implementing two wrongs to make a right. It makes a lot more sense to either remove or reduce the artificial WR booster (PPR) than to try to re-correct on the other end.
For me PPR isn't about increasing the value of a WR, because it really doesn't accomplish that. PPR is mostly about making fantasy football and watching football more enjoyable.

Bump
No one's disputing that. Would you change the starting requirements AND keep some form of PPR? Or just go back to standard scoring?
PPR is not the issue. PPR is similar to changing passing TDs from 4 points to 6 points. That doesn't change the value of a QB significantly. It makes the QBs score more overall, but it doesn't change their value to other positions very much.

The reason there has been a shift is simply because there is a ton of talent at WR at the top right now, and not nearly as much for RBs. It doesn't have to do with scoring. It has to do with the talent on the field and less consistency in RB scoring than in years past. In previous years, you could hang your hat on guys like Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis, etc. Those were the players will less risk, but now those guys are WRs for the most part, like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, etc.

Bump
I agree with this.

But I also agree with those that like PPR that it doesn't increase WR value just because of the PPR addition if the starting lineups are done correctly. It's really just a preference thing but those that complain that their leagues are too unbalanced towards WR should focus on the starting lineup requirements.

Total receptions shouldn't matter either in FF or real life. Yards are vastly more important.
I don't play fantasy football to mimic real life. I do it to enhance the football experience. Keeping stats for receptions makes it more interesting for me.

You realize this isn't mutually exclusive from PPR/Non-PPR.

You tip the already imbalanced scales back towards non-RB positions by playing PPR, you can further right the ship by having logical starting rosters...
I think the starting requirements have the biggest impact on relative value.

I don't like PPR because it devalues yards and TD.

fridayfrenzy said:
IHEARTFF said:
Total receptions shouldn't matter either in FF or real life. Yards are vastly more important.
I don't play fantasy football to mimic real life. I do it to enhance the football experience. Keeping stats for receptions makes it more interesting for me.
See to me it does the exact opposite. I get no thrill out of seeing my player get me points for a short reception that doesn't go anywhere. Eddie Lacy runs for 10 yards. Cool. Fistpump. Eddie Lacy catches a swing pass and get blasted for no gain. Umm...Fistpump? :unsure:

fridayfrenzy said:
IHEARTFF said:
See to me it does the exact opposite. I get no thrill out of seeing my player get me points for a short reception that doesn't go anywhere. Eddie Lacy runs for 10 yards. Cool. Fistpump. Eddie Lacy catches a swing pass and get blasted for no gain. Umm...Fistpump? :unsure:
You proved my point. I rather cheer twice for Eddie Lacy. Without PPR, I would only be able to cheer once in your example.

Full PPR is ridiculous. This year, once again, not a single one of my leagues, bragging rights or money, chose PPR.

It's just...silly.

fridayfrenzy said:
IHEARTFF said:
You proved my point. I rather cheer twice for Eddie Lacy. Without PPR, I would only be able to cheer once in your example.
Not sure I see the logic here. Why not start giving points for carries then too so you can cheer when Lacy takes a handoff and gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage? And completions? More cheering!

Last edited by a moderator:
fridayfrenzy said:
IHEARTFF said:
Not sure I see the logic here. Why not start giving points for carries then too so you can cheer when Lacy takes a handoff and gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage? And completions? More cheering!
:thumbup:

PPR has become, by far, the dominant scoring format in fantasy football. However, with arguably an increase in RBBC and inarguably a massive increase in the amount of passing around the league, I'm wondering if the format isn't overcorrecting for a problem that no longer exists, tilting the balance of power almost as strongly towards WRs as it used to be towards RBs. It used to be that a QB could throw for 3200/18 and be considered a strong fantasy asset. Now a guy can throw for 4300/26 and he's considered a disappointment. There are a lot more receptions and receiving yards to go around. This is compounded in dynasty leagues where WRs/TEs have the additional advantage of significantly longer careers.

FBGs consensus dynasty rankings have 6 of the top 10 players as WRs, 8 of the top 10 as either WRs or TEs. Only 2 RBs find themselves in the top 15, and more than half of the top 20 are WRs.

Chad Parsons dynasty rankings have WRs as 14 of the top 18 players, with only 1 RB in the top 15. The top 6 are all WRs. That sounds eerily similar (though not quite as bad) to the way things used to be at the top of drafts with RB after RB coming off the board.

I think that the value disparity becomes even more apparent once you get into existing leagues. The top handful of WRs are almost untouchable. From monitoring the trade thread, it seems that moving from the #1 RB (McCoy) to the #5 WR still requires adding quite a bit to the deal even though McCoy is the best combination of youth and production there has been at the #1 RB spot in quite a while.

What's the solution? I'm not sure. But I think, especially in dynasty leagues, the combination of the league's significantly increased passing numbers, significantly longer careers, and a point per reception have created an inbalance towards WRs somewhat similar to the one we used to see towards RBs. We can't do anything about the league's increased passing numbers or the longer careers of WRs, but scoring system is something we've always had control over. Maybe it's time to start tweaking it again, especially in dynasty leagues. Maybe 0.5ppr is enough or maybe even less.

Thoughts?
My league introduced PPR to reward participation in the game plan... NOT to make WRs more appealing. We award a point per reception and .2 per carry under the assumption a WR coud average 5 receptions per game and a back 25 rushes. Both would receive 5 points...

Ever see a back get 33 carries for 98 yards? Fantasy teams might call that a disappointment but some NFL teams would call it a success. I bet a back with those stats is highly correlated with a "Win". I'm thinking ball control and clock management here.... I know, I know.. dated concepts in the modern NFL. But still, this back would be rewarded somewhat in our scoring system.

My league introduced PPR to reward participation in the game plan... NOT to make WRs more appealing. We award a point per reception and .2 per carry under the assumption a WR coud average 5 receptions per game and a back 25 rushes. Both would receive 5 points...

Ever see a back get 33 carries for 98 yards? Fantasy teams might call that a disappointment but some NFL teams would call it a success. I bet a back with those stats is highly correlated with a "Win". I'm thinking ball control and clock management here.... I know, I know.. dated concepts in the modern NFL. But still, this back would be rewarded somewhat in our scoring system.
5 rec per game = 80 on the season. 25 rushes per game = 400 on the season. Questionable choices.

If you want to reward participation in the game plan, you should reward targets.

fridayfrenzy said:
IHEARTFF said:
Since we apparently don't care if a play is positive or not to award points, maybe we should start giving points for INTS and fumbles lost instead of subracting them. Then we can really rake it in!

First downs will be the new PPR. I think more and more contests will soon be going to it.
I hope you're right. I'm a little surprised that hasn't happened yet. It's a great way to give value to the chain movers that aren't necessarily red zone threats in a way that makes sense.

In my triple halo quadry league we give 0.1 PPG (points per glance by the QB). We've also found that going with 0.05PPB (points per block) really helps shore up the value of our IOLP (Individual Offensive Line Player) system as well. Coaches get a flat 5 PPC (points per challenge) but -3 for failed challenges and +3 for successful challenges. It goes without saying the standard docking of -2 points per unused timeout is in play as well.

First downs will be the new PPR. I think more and more contests will soon be going to it.
It's just another idea that someone made sound good but really is just another arbitrary stats. A 3 yard catch for a first down on 2nd and 2 should not get a point added when a 12 yard catch on 1st and 15 doesn't.

It's just another idea that someone made sound good but really is just another arbitrary stats. A 3 yard catch for a first down on 2nd and 2 should not get a point added when a 12 yard catch on 1st and 15 doesn't.
It's all arbitrary. You can make that argument for every statistic out there. Not every pass, catch, reception, yard and TD are similar. Why should garbage yards when losing by 30 count the same as clutch yards in a close game?

If you want to mimic real-life NFL, then wouldn't it be a TD only fantasy league?

I tend to agree - the first down scoring system is somewhat new and thus likely not subject to much scrutiny, but there are bound to be some inequities as well. There's no perfect system out there.

I don't feel strongly about adding first down scoring, but I disagree with your comparison here. A 3 yard catch for a first down on 2nd and 2 provides value beyond just the 3 yards gained, since it also provides a new set of downs. The 12 yard catch doesn't provide that same additional value.

I don't think it is about first or second round talent. It is about mid round talent. Anyone have the stats on how RB's in rounds 4-8 stack up against WR's from rounds 4-8? I think that would be the real tell.

I don't think it is about first or second round talent. It is about mid round talent. Anyone have the stats on how RB's in rounds 4-8 stack up against WR's from rounds 4-8? I think that would be the real tell.
Post 59

Standard scoring leagues

RB36 98.2 6.1ppg RB48 74.8 4.7ppg RB60 53.6 3ppg

WR36 110.36 6.9ppg WR48 95.63 6ppg WR60 77.46 4.8ppg

PPR scoring leagues

RB36 124.93 7.8ppg RB48 94.4 5.9ppg RB60 67.2 4.2ppg

WR36 164.66 10.3ppg WR48 145.13 9ppg WR60 119.2 7.4ppg

I don't feel strongly about adding first down scoring, but I disagree with your comparison here. A 3 yard catch for a first down on 2nd and 2 provides value beyond just the 3 yards gained, since it also provides a new set of downs. The 12 yard catch doesn't provide that same additional value.
I think that's debatable but to each his own.

Post 59

Standard scoring leagues

PPR scoring leagues

So the RB still has more value than the WR in a PPR.

RB36 to RB48 Difference of 7.8 to 5.9 = 1.90 ppg

WR36 to WR48 Difference of 10.3 to 9.0 = 1.30 pppg

RB48 to RB60 Difference of 5.9 to 4.2 =1.70 ppg

WR48 to WR60 Difference of 9.0 to 7.4 = 1.60 ppg

Current FBG dynasty rankings

1. Odell Beckham
2. Le'Veon Bell
3. Julio Jones
4. Mike Evans
5. Dez Bryant
6. Antonio Brown
7. AJ Green
8. Randall Cobb
9. Sammy Watkins
10. Demaryius Thomas
11. DeAndre Hopkins

12. Andrew Luck
13: Todd Gurley
14. Amari Cooper
15. Alshon Jeffery

So 10 of the top 11 and 12 of the top 15 are WRs in dynasty. Isn't this every bit as skewed as when RBs were kings? You know, the thing everyone claims they hated...

1. Odell Beckham

2. Le'Veon Bell

3. Julio Jones

4. Mike Evans

5. Dez Bryant

6. Antonio Brown

7. AJ Green

8. Randall Cobb

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Demaryius Thomas

11. DeAndre Hopkins

12. Andrew Luck

14. Amari Cooper

15. Alshon Jeffery

So 10 of the top 11 and 12 of the top 15 are WRs in dynasty. Isn't this every bit as skewed as when RBs were kings? You know, the thing everyone claims they hated...
No kidding. How is Gronk not in the top 15?

FreeBaGeL said:

1. Odell Beckham

2. Le'Veon Bell

3. Julio Jones

4. Mike Evans

5. Dez Bryant

6. Antonio Brown

7. AJ Green

8. Randall Cobb

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Demaryius Thomas

11. DeAndre Hopkins

12. Andrew Luck

14. Amari Cooper

15. Alshon Jeffery

it's skewed, but is that due to ppr?

I wouldn't be comfortable making that claim.

are there some non-ppr dynasty rankings, somewhere?

and is this strictly a dynasty thread, or are we lumping redraft in here?

FUBAR said:
FreeBaGeL said:

1. Odell Beckham

2. Le'Veon Bell

3. Julio Jones

4. Mike Evans

5. Dez Bryant

6. Antonio Brown

7. AJ Green

8. Randall Cobb

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Demaryius Thomas

11. DeAndre Hopkins

12. Andrew Luck

14. Amari Cooper

15. Alshon Jeffery

How is Gronk not in the top 5.

Exactly why I think 0.5PPR is the way to go. The only reason I can accept imbalance is because there are enough WRs to go around, whereas there aren't enough RBs to go around.

Post 59

Standard scoring leagues

PPR scoring leagues

Comparing the difference of points per game scored by RB36 to RB 48 and WR36 to WR48 is not the same thing as comparing the value of RB36 to WR36

WR36 scores nearly 40 points more than RB36 in PPR leagues. WR36 in standard leagues only scores 2.1 points more.

The total points still matter when making a decision between the two positions. The imbalance in scoring causes the WR to be more valuable in the PPR format, while in standard scoring leagues RB36 and WR36 are pretty close to equal in fantasy points scored on average.

FUBAR said:
FreeBaGeL said:

1. Odell Beckham

2. Le'Veon Bell

3. Julio Jones

4. Mike Evans

5. Dez Bryant

6. Antonio Brown

7. AJ Green

8. Randall Cobb

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Demaryius Thomas

11. DeAndre Hopkins

12. Andrew Luck

14. Amari Cooper

15. Alshon Jeffery

How is Gronk not in the top 5.
It looks like one of the rankers left him off his list entirely (no idea why, must have been an oversight) which skewed his average down to 18. The other rankers had him 6, 1, 9, and 11 which would have him 6th as a consensus.

Double checking it now and I don't see any other players that were mysteriously left out of one list that need to be adjusted back in there.

Post 59

Standard scoring leagues

PPR scoring leagues

Comparing the difference of points per game scored by RB36 to RB 48 and WR36 to WR48 is not the same thing as comparing the value of RB36 to WR36

WR36 scores nearly 40 points more than RB36 in PPR leagues. WR36 in standard leagues only scores 2.1 points more.

The total points still matter when making a decision between the two positions. The imbalance in scoring causes the WR to be more valuable in the PPR format, while in standard scoring leagues RB36 and WR36 are pretty close to equal in fantasy points scored on average.
Not in my world. I don't care how many points WR36 scores more than RB36. I care how they score in comparison to their own position. Just because a position scores more points does not make them more valuable because it also means that the replacement players (ie bench or waiver wire) score more points as well. It's all relative.

Users who are viewing this thread