What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lobster Diving in Key West (1 Viewer)

Buckfast 1

Footballguy
I am helping to organize a bachelor party in Key West that is going to take place over the opening weekend of lobster diving season (August 8-10). We're planning on renting a boat, going out lobster diving all day on Saturday, and then cooking our catches for dinner that night.

Any of you guys have any Florida lobster diving experience? Do you have tips on lobster diving equipment, strategies, or techniques? Do you have a favorite way of preparing Florida spiny lobsters to eat?

Has anyone ever been to Key West during their Lobsterfest weekend? Any Key West-specific "bug hunting" recommendations?

Thanks for any input you might have!

I am helping to organize a bachelor party in Key West that is going to take place over the opening weekend of lobster diving season (August 8-10). We're planning on renting a boat, going out lobster diving all day on Saturday, and then cooking our catches for dinner that night.

Any of you guys have any Florida lobster diving experience? Do you have tips on lobster diving equipment, strategies, or techniques? Do you have a favorite way of preparing Florida spiny lobsters to eat?

Has anyone ever been to Key West during their Lobsterfest weekend? Any Key West-specific "bug hunting" recommendations?

I've been to lobsterfest and it is awesome- my advice is not to buy beer at the stands on Duval St- $5 a pop when I was there... walk a block off Duval and look for small shops (we found a little Cuban place) where they were selling cold cans for $1 each! (probably more now, but you get the idea)

never done it in KW. I'd recommend hiring a guide who knows where to go and can keep you safe. My recollection of lobster diving off of Boca during mini-season years ago is that there are a ton of people out on the reefs who may not be paying attention. Boating and/or diving near other boaters who aren't paying close attention is pretty dangerous.

I had friends who used to go though. They had some sort of handle that attached to a ski-rope that they held onto with mask/fins/snorkel as the boat pulled them around. The handle was shaped such that they could dip it down and the handle would pull them under water so they could dive lower to check things out. This let them cover a lot of ground in the shallows (~15 ft of water) with eyes on the bottom. Not sure if that's common, but it sounded pretty awesome.

It's been years--went to Key West with friends and we went lobstering every day. Dunno about Lobsterfest but that town is a party all the time! Beaches we were at were kind of rocky so we spent most days on the water. And OMG the eating! Warm water fish and shellfish have more flavor imo, and I prefer the spiny lobsters to Maine lobsters for texture as well.

You don't need all day for the lobsters though as long as you know the reefs. We spent most of our dives exploring reefs and wrecks and only took the last dive of the afternoon to fill the bags. Never did make a meal just for lobsters--had them with everything from steaks to late night drinks. :)

I'm not a big lobster guy but can't you just go buy them?
The adrenaline rush of luring a lobster out of his hiding spot and then frantically swimming to the surface to gasp for air on the surface with a delicious lobster in tow will be well-worth the cost of the boat rental. Plus, free lobster.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been years--went to Key West with friends and we went lobstering every day. Dunno about Lobsterfest but that town is a party all the time! Beaches we were at were kind of rocky so we spent most days on the water. And OMG the eating! Warm water fish and shellfish have more flavor imo, and I prefer the spiny lobsters to Maine lobsters for texture as well.

You don't need all day for the lobsters though as long as you know the reefs. We spent most of our dives exploring reefs and wrecks and only took the last dive of the afternoon to fill the bags. Never did make a meal just for lobsters--had them with everything from steaks to late night drinks. :)
I really like warm water spiny lobsters as well. I had a jerk spiny lobster in Jamaica one time that was fantastic. I think I am going to grill some spiny lobster tails and baste them with various compound butters (jerk butter, garlic butter, cajun butter, etc.).

The adrenaline rush of luring a lobster out of his hiding spot and then frantically swimming to the surface to gasp for air on the surface with a delicious lobster in tow will be well-worth the cost of the boat rental. Plus, free lobster.
Shtick?
I'm not sure why the thrill of the hunt in the open seas is lost on you.

I'm going for the mini-season like I do every year. We'll catch a couple hundred if the holes are hot. I can't wait. The standard tandem team takes a bag (to hold the caught lobsters), a net each, a tickle stick and a certified measuring device. You want guaranteed success you'll want to go out into the channel between Cudjoe Key and Summerland Key. You time it correctly it's easy pickins. You don't and you're battling 10-15 mile an hour currents.

As far as preparation, it's tough to mess up lobster that fresh. I like to grill them, shell down with slices of citrus on top...serve with a little garlic butter. Steaming them is my second favorite way followed by boil/broil.

I've done this a number of times - it is a great time. We go during mini-lobster - which is the 2 days next week(always in July). (My daughter is heading for college so it is out for this year - cousins who I go with also are sending daughter to school) Anyway - it is better to stay up near Big Pine and Ramrod Key in my opinion. There is easier access to the spots. The 7 mile is good - and then on the North side of the keys. It is like Woodstock on the water - lines of boats as far as you can see.

What my cousin does is rigs his boat up with a tow rope - and a piece of wood cut in a half circle. On on end you tie the rope(the circle end) - and then on the long(radius/diameter edge) he cuts two holes like handles to put your hands in. So you ride along at the surface and get a breath - then you turn your hands down and the wood/paddle forces you down into the 8-12' depths real quick - and you look under coral heads and ledges for the lobsters as you conserve air and energy and let the boat pull you along - you can really cover some territory this way. When you see one you surface real quick and then dive back down and catch them in the net. Also there are chance of multiple lobsters when you see one. Big thing is they have to be a certain size and underwater everything looks really big - so you better find a really big one - because it is crazy when you come up and it is too small when it looked like something from SyFy network underwater.

Also pay attention to your limits - they have gotten very strict with the numbers. Everyone has to be active - they used to let you catch your limit even counting little kids in the boat.

We combine the two days with some deep sea fishing days and eat some really great meals. And of course a trip or two into Key West.

It is a great time and I would highly recommend it.

I've been to lobsterfest and it is awesome- my advice is not to buy beer at the stands on Duval St- $5 a pop when I was there... walk a block off Duval and look for small shops (we found a little Cuban place) where they were selling cold cans for $1 each! (probably more now, but you get the idea)
Best cuban you'll find down there

I'm going for the mini-season like I do every year. We'll catch a couple hundred if the holes are hot. I can't wait. The standard tandem team takes a bag (to hold the caught lobsters), a net each, a tickle stick and a certified measuring device. You want guaranteed success you'll want to go out into the channel between Cudjoe Key and Summerland Key. You time it correctly it's easy pickins. You don't and you're battling 10-15 mile an hour currents.

As far as preparation, it's tough to mess up lobster that fresh. I like to grill them, shell down with slices of citrus on top...serve with a little garlic butter. Steaming them is my second favorite way followed by boil/broil.
Awesome info. I really appreciate it.

Is there a particular time of day that the currents are calmer in the channel between Cudjoe Key and Summerland Key? Or does it just depend on the specific day?

Please leave behind a few lobsters for us regular season divers!

I've done this a number of times - it is a great time. We go during mini-lobster - which is the 2 days next week(always in July). (My daughter is heading for college so it is out for this year - cousins who I go with also are sending daughter to school) Anyway - it is better to stay up near Big Pine and Ramrod Key in my opinion. There is easier access to the spots. The 7 mile is good - and then on the North side of the keys. It is like Woodstock on the water - lines of boats as far as you can see.

What my cousin does is rigs his boat up with a tow rope - and a piece of wood cut in a half circle. On on end you tie the rope(the circle end) - and then on the long(radius/diameter edge) he cuts two holes like handles to put your hands in. So you ride along at the surface and get a breath - then you turn your hands down and the wood/paddle forces you down into the 8-12' depths real quick - and you look under coral heads and ledges for the lobsters as you conserve air and energy and let the boat pull you along - you can really cover some territory this way. When you see one you surface real quick and then dive back down and catch them in the net. Also there are chance of multiple lobsters when you see one. Big thing is they have to be a certain size and underwater everything looks really big - so you better find a really big one - because it is crazy when you come up and it is too small when it looked like something from SyFy network underwater.

Also pay attention to your limits - they have gotten very strict with the numbers. Everyone has to be active - they used to let you catch your limit even counting little kids in the boat.

We combine the two days with some deep sea fishing days and eat some really great meals. And of course a trip or two into Key West.

That technique sounds amazing. I wonder if we can buy a rig like that down in Key West or if we would have to make it ourselves.

Thanks for all the information!

Is there a particular time of day that the currents are calmer in the channel between Cudjoe Key and Summerland Key? Or does it just depend on the specific day?

You need to look at the tides schedule for that day.

That technique sounds amazing. I wonder if we can buy a rig like that down in Key West or if we would have to make it ourselves.

Here is one that you can buy - my cousin made his own in a similar design

http://dixiediver.com/shopping/products/73-Lobstering-Gear/43-SEA-SCANNER---LOBSTERING-SLeD/

Shtick?
I'm not sure why the thrill of the hunt in the open seas is lost on you.
:lmao:

It corresponds to high tide / low tide. When it's beginning to switch from one to the other it's the calmest. That said, we are generally on the boat on our way out to our spots (marked in a super duper secret GPS device) before the sun comes up. It's quite the site to see on the boat too. You'll never see more boats in such close proximity anywhere else in your life and the gaming crew are out and about in full force. Limits are serious business down there. I've seen boats confiscated for going over limit or having lobsters too small.

This is awesome. Is this what goes for bachelor parties these days?

We would just go get drunk and drop a few bucks at the local stripper bar. Maybe tear up a hotel room and bring a couple of strippers that may or may not actually rub one one out.

Note: "if" that ever happened, none of us ever saw it, nobody was into watching other guys getting some (or would at least admit it).

Note II: sorry to to interject this filth into a very high class thread. :hey:

Here is one that you can buy - my cousin made his own in a similar design

http://dixiediver.com/shopping/products/73-Lobstering-Gear/43-SEA-SCANNER---LOBSTERING-SLeD/
Cool. Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

The Commish said:
Buckfast 1 said:
The Commish said:

It corresponds to high tide / low tide. When it's beginning to switch from one to the other it's the calmest. That said, we are generally on the boat on our way out to our spots (marked in a super duper secret GPS device) before the sun comes up. It's quite the site to see on the boat too. You'll never see more boats in such close proximity anywhere else in your life and the gaming crew are out and about in full force. Limits are serious business down there. I've seen boats confiscated for going over limit or having lobsters too small.
Let me qualify this with the fact that I am talking about mini-season...just realized you'll be down there for the opening of regular season. I'd imagine it will still be pretty crowded and you'll see a lot of "parts" on the bottom denoting some epic battles between man and bug :thumbup:

Also about 6 miles or so south of Ramrod Key is Looe Reef - go diving/snorkeling there on a day - best reef spot in the Keys

Also about 6 miles or so south of Ramrod Key is Looe Reef - go diving/snorkeling there on a day - best reef spot in the Keys
Agreed...that's where we go a couple days before to make sure all our stuff works correctly. Just can't catch lobsters out there :P

Binky The Doormat said:
This is awesome. Is this what goes for bachelor parties these days?

We would just go get drunk and drop a few bucks at the local stripper bar. Maybe tear up a hotel room and bring a couple of strippers that may or may not actually rub one one out.

Note: "if" that ever happened, none of us ever saw it, nobody was into watching other guys getting some (or would at least admit it).

Note II: sorry to to interject this filth into a very high class thread. :hey:
We're definitely going big for this one. As of yesterday, the groom-to-be said that there is a 95% chance that we will also have a celebrity guest (who is a pretty good friend of his) coming along with us to Key West for the bachelor party. Our celebrity guest may or may not have been the real life inspiration for "Eastbound and Down." It should be a pretty ridiculous weekend. I'm really hoping the celebrity guest pulls through for us.

I have friends that did this last year. They had a boat, but didnt hire a guide and no one with them had ever done it. They didnt catch anything the first day-and-a-half, but then they found a honey-hole and were able to go back and grab enough for dinner each day from the same spot, so if you find some, be sure to mark your spot. Sounded pretty awesome, have fun. :thumbup:

Make sure you follow the laws. Florida Fish & Wildlife doesn't play around. You can catch a hefty fine, a felony, and even lose your boat. And they watch from far away with really good binoculars.

We're having a bachelor party for a buddy of mine next month. No ocean so I think we'll just head over to the nearest cattle ranch with some hammers.

Awesome trip....freezer is packed with fresh fish and lobsters. Good vacation :thumbup: Sucks to be back at work <_<
Was it hard to get the lobsters?
It was time consuming this time around because there were so many small ones we had to weed through. It didn't help that my partner kept directing the shorts back into the same holes. I'm pretty sure we caught some lobsters 5-6 times each. We were there for start of regular season too. We had caught our limit and left another 20ish in the hole...definitely marked that one for next time.

Awesome trip....freezer is packed with fresh fish and lobsters. Good vacation :thumbup: Sucks to be back at work <_<
It was time consuming this time around because there were so many small ones we had to weed through. It didn't help that my partner kept directing the shorts back into the same holes. I'm pretty sure we caught some lobsters 5-6 times each. We were there for start of regular season too. We had caught our limit and left another 20ish in the hole...definitely marked that one for next time.
So you dive down, hit them with a stick, and they come out of the hole? Is that all there is to it? Does the meat taste like Maine lobster?

I really like warm water spiny lobsters as well. I had a jerk spiny lobster in Jamaica one time that was fantastic. I think I am going to grill some spiny lobster tails and baste them with various compound butters (jerk butter, garlic butter, cajun butter, etc.).
IN

So you dive down, hit them with a stick, and they come out of the hole? Is that all there is to it? Does the meat taste like Maine lobster?
Superior to Maine lobster in every regard IMO. Several different ways to get them. We suit up in scuba gear, go down with thick gloves, a bag to hold the lobster, a net to catch the lobster and a tickle stick to coax them out of their hole. Happy path catch is to poke them on the butt a few times, put the net behind them and let them back into the net. Then you untangle them from the net, measure them and bag them. It's certainly not rocket science. Conditions usually pose the biggest challenge. Where we go, there is a significant current and it's pretty murky water. At times it feels like you're diving in oatmeal.

Superior to Maine lobster in every regard IMO. Several different ways to get them. We suit up in scuba gear, go down with thick gloves, a bag to hold the lobster, a net to catch the lobster and a tickle stick to coax them out of their hole. Happy path catch is to poke them on the butt a few times, put the net behind them and let them back into the net. Then you untangle them from the net, measure them and bag them. It's certainly not rocket science. Conditions usually pose the biggest challenge. Where we go, there is a significant current and it's pretty murky water. At times it feels like you're diving in oatmeal.
Ah, my BIL snorkels down. I think he nets them and then brings them up to the boat for the rest. Your way seems way more efficient.

Ah, my BIL snorkels down. I think he nets them and then brings them up to the boat for the rest. Your way seems way more efficient.
His way is much more difficult. If you don't get them on the first shot down, you most likely start over on the second as they've probably backed back into their holes by the time he gets another breath.

I snorkel - the problem with scuba gear is you go into shallow depths a lot of time - it is just too cumbersome and a bunch of work to deal with pre-post dive

I snorkel - the problem with scuba gear is you go into shallow depths a lot of time - it is just too cumbersome and a bunch of work to deal with pre-post dive
Can see this argument too, if you're not in a time crunch and are on small holes with just a few lobsters. It'd take me a whole day to collect a single hole if I were using snorkeling gear and I'd be exhausted. Not sure I could fight the current for that long that many times going back and forth where we dive. To combat the cumbersome aspect of dive gear, lots of folks use those buddy breather things or whatever they're called. It's an air compressor hooked to a scuba tank that floats on the water, then you have a long hose down to the regulator, so the diver only has on a weight belt if necessary. I don't like them because I find myself battling the current with that thing floating on the top and me holding on to the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread