What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (1 Viewer)

Amazing to see this guy's transformation as a QB.  For so many years in his career, he used his strength and legs to extend plays.  For the past few years, he realizes his physical limitations and has turned into one of the better quick release pocket QBs in the league.  

BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

The Steelers have the third highest neutral pass rate in the NFL through Week 11. 

Only the Seahawks and Bengals have higher neutral pass rates this season. Despite having game script on their side for almost all of 2020, the Steelers only run the ball on 40.2 percent of their plays -- the 17th highest rate in the league. This gives James Conner an iffy weekly floor and rare opportunities for a ceiling while Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh pass catchers reap the benefits of a pass-heavy attack. The commitment to the pass gives Roethlisberger -- fourth in pass attempts this year -- a solid weekly floor even in poor on-paper matchups like this week against Baltimore. 

RELATED: 

James Conner

SOURCE: Hayden Winks on Twitter 

Nov 24, 2020, 10:37 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 36-of-51 passes for 266 yards, one touchdown, and an interception in the Steelers' 19-14 Week 12 win over the Ravens.

Somehow Roethlisberger managed to turn 51 passing attempts into a snooze fest. He turned four redzone trips into a single touchdown, a quick out by JuJu Smith-Schuster, and threw a disgusting fade away interception to Tyus Bowser in the endzone. Even the game-sealing lofted pass to James Washington momentarily dropped the hearts of all Steeler fans. The Ravens defense should be applauded for their fight, considering the team's offense was decimated by injuries and players on the COVID-19 list. Still, the Steelers accomplished their goal of reaching an 11-0 record, and it is notable the team elected to attempt 51 passes compared to just 20 runs despite carrying positive gamescript throughout.

Dec 2, 2020, 6:40 PM ET

And that the "disgusting fade away interception...in the endzone" was on 4th down when he was about to be sacked. 
So?  He should have thrown it out the back of the EZ.  Then Baltimore would have been backed up to the 1.  As it was, Pitt got lucky the Raven who picked it off tried to run it out & got tackled around the 5.  If he'd have just taken a knee in the EZ, Baltimore would have started at the 20.  

That was a disgusting INT, there's no way to argue it was anything but a horrible decision.

So?  He should have thrown it out the back of the EZ.  Then Baltimore would have been backed up to the 1.  As it was, Pitt got lucky the Raven who picked it off tried to run it out & got tackled around the 5.  If he'd have just taken a knee in the EZ, Baltimore would have started at the 20.  

That was a disgusting INT, there's no way to argue it was anything but a horrible decision.
Agreed and I said exactly that at the time he threw it. But someone who didn't watch the game reading that article would believe that the interception in the endzone stopped a Steeler drive and prevented them from scoring points. It didn't.

Agreed and I said exactly that at the time he threw it. But someone who didn't watch the game reading that article would believe that the interception in the endzone stopped a Steeler drive and prevented them from scoring points. It didn't.
OK, I see what you're getting at.

Do we really think there is a chance he does not play this week? I'm thinking he is out there unless something crazy pops up, just a problem being a Monday game.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 33-of-53 passes for 305 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in the Steelers' Week 13 loss to Washington.

Roethlisberger's interception came on a batted pass that was brought down by LB Jon Bostic. It was just before the two-minute warning and in field goal range for Washington. Roethlisberger routinely had passes knocked down or tipped at the line of scrimmage. Despite logging zero sacks, the Washington defensive line was the difference in Pittsburgh finally losing. Eric Ebron and Diontae Johnson each logged multiple drops. Overall, Roethlisberger's pass-catchers logged five drops at a minimum. It wasn't a perfect outing from the 38-year-old quarterback but his supporting cast did him no favors. He should bounce back as a high-end QB2 versus Buffalo next week. 

Dec 7, 2020, 9:49 PM ET

2020 Week 14 QB Review: Jalen Hurts' Eagles debut, Drew Lock running out of time in Denver and more

Excerpt:

ROETHLISBERGER HAS BEEN THE SAME QUARTERBACK OVER THE LAST TWO WEEKS

After unwarranted MVP hype due to the Steelers' 11-0 start, Ben Roethlisberger is no longer a part of the MVP conversation, and now there are question marks about his current ability at the age of 38.

The reality is that the last two games — both Steelers losses — are right in line with Roethlisberger’s play over the rest of the season; he just hasn’t had nearly as much help from his playmakers or his defense. He posted a solid 77.6 passing grade against the Washington Football Team last week, but six drops and a batted pass for an interception led to a much worse statistical outing.

Then, this week against the Buffalo Bills, Roethlisberger produced a 53.4 passing grade, his worst of the season. However, this grade is not some 2020 anomaly, as it’s Roethlisberger’s fourth passing grade in the 50s; the Steelers just won the previous three outings, so they went overlooked.

We’ve seen a limited passing attack in Pittsburgh all season as Roethlisberger has struggled to throw the ball down the field, and he’s run the quickest-hitting passing attack in the league, eschewing his prototypical big plays for letting his playmakers create after the catch. The only difference in recent weeks is the Steelers getting a case of the dropsies and Roethlisberger no longer getting away with some of the poor passes he made earlier in the season that fell incomplete and protected his stat line.

Big Ben has been playing with a limited skill set all season, but the Pittsburgh offense can still move the ball with a solid group of playmakers. At some point, however, they must find a way to get the ball down the field, where Roethlisberger’s 72.3 passer rating on 20-plus-yard throws ranks just 31st in the NFL.

I want to bench him this week for someone like Phil rivers, but this could be a good comeback game for him. I doubt they rely on the non existing running game this week

TeeDub said:
I want to bench him this week for someone like Phil rivers, but this could be a good comeback game for him. I doubt they rely on the non existing running game this week
I’m actually thinking of starting him over R Wilson.  I have Claypool also and need some upside.  Not sure that comes from RW.  

My gut keeps telling me to start him, that the Steelers come out and just air raid vs Cincinnati. Just dont know

My gut keeps telling me to start him, that the Steelers come out and just air raid vs Cincinnati. Just dont know
Ive been feeling all week that Pitt is going to try to get away from being so pass happy this week, especially after they go up on Cincy who might not score this week against this D

Ive been feeling all week that Pitt is going to try to get away from being so pass happy this week, especially after they go up on Cincy who might not score this week against this D
As a Steelers fan (but don't have Ben in Fantasy) I hope you are right.  They desperately need to get the running game going but I honestly don't know if they can with the banged up o-line and Connor hurt again.   I know the Bengals aren't a good team but they struggled against the Ravens JV squad.

ETA:  Ben normally does well in prime time, against Ohio teams, and he's coming off a mediocre performance.  When Ben says stuff like "if I don't start playing better it is time to hang it up" he usually steps it up.  He's got something to prove and I think he'll make a statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Steelers fan (but don't have Ben in Fantasy) I hope you are right.  They desperately need to get the running game going but I honestly don't know if they can with the banged up o-line and Connor hurt again.   I know the Bengals aren't a good team but they struggled against the Ravens JV squad.

ETA:  Ben normally does well in prime time, against Ohio teams, and he's coming off a mediocre performance.  When Ben says stuff like "if I don't start playing better it is time to hang it up" he usually steps it up.  He's got something to prove and I think he'll make a statement.
I hope you’re right about Ben

thanks Godsbrother 

I hope the opposite. This team is not good at running the ball. I hope they run spread offense the rest of the year with draws and screens as the "running game".

Ben Roethlisberger intends to play for the Steelers in 2021. 

It would be Roethlisberger's 18th season in Pittsburgh. At 38, Roethlisberger has one more year on his contract after this season. He's returned from a chronic elbow condition that required surgery and knocked him out for almost the entire 2019 season, leading the Steelers back to the top of the AFC North with an 11-2 record going into Monday night's game against the Bengals. The grizzled veteran, headed into Week 15, led the league in pass attempts in Pittsburgh's pass-heavy attack. He was 14th in passing yards and fifth in passing touchdowns headed into Week 15. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 21, 2020, 8:43 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed just 20-of-38 passes for 170 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Steelers' 27-17, Week 15 loss to the Bengals Monday night.

Big Ben turned the ball over two times in the first half, fumbling early before throwing an interception right to CB Mackensie Alexander. The Steelers simply couldn't move the ball in the first 30 minutes. This is a team that tends to play down to its competition, and that appeared to be what happened tonight again, as the Steelers lost their third straight after an 11-0 start. Big Ben finished the first half with just seven net passing yards. His lone touchdown was a 23-yarder to Diontae Johnson in the third quarter. Ben later missed Chase Claypool on what could have been a second score. The Steelers were down by 17 at one point and cut it to seven but never got any closer. Next week's date with the Colts is suddenly very important for the AFC North title.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:25 PM ET

David Todd@DavidMTodd

If you needed another problem to dwell on. This is a BIG one. #Steelers

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk

Ben Roethlisberger has a $41.25M cap hit in 2021, with a compensation package of $19 million. If he plays next year, they'll have to extend his contract to knock down that cap charge. Eventually, a major cap reckoning is coming.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 34-of-49 passes for 342 yards and three touchdowns in Pittsburgh's 28-24 Week 16 win over the Colts.

It was a tale of two halves for Roethlisberger, who fought through a near-benching with 98 total yards through two quarters before tossing for 242 yards and three touchdowns while rattling off 21 unanswered points to complete Pittsburgh's second-half comeback. Although there were no signs of life from the Steelers in the first half, rushing seven times for four yards and scoring on a three-play drive that started from Indy's three-yard line, its offense averaged 7.2 yards per play over the last 30 minutes including a 39-yard strike to Diontae Johnson and beautiful 25-yard toss into a bucket over a zone scheme to JuJu Smith-Schuster. There's a chance coach Mike Tomlin chooses to bench his starters for Week 17 now that the AFC North championship has been decided, but playing his backups in a win-and-in spot for Cleveland could also potentially allow the Browns to sneak into the postseason with a victory. That will be a key situation to monitor for the regular season finale before the Steelers return in the Wild Card round.

- Rotoworld

Ben Roethlisberger completed 47-of-68 passes for 501 yards, four touchdowns, and four interceptions in Pittsburgh's 48-37 Wild Card deficit to the Browns.

Some would consider 38-year-old Roethlisberger’s campaign a success since he was available for 15 games despite recovering from offseason shoulder surgery and having not thrown a pass since Week 2 of 2019. He did toss the second-most touchdown passes (33) of his career in leading the Steelers to an 11-0 start and AFC North title, but the wear and tear of the league’s third-most pass attempts (608) coupled with Pittsburgh’s forced bye week due to Tennessee’s COVID outbreak in Week 4 caused Roethlisberger and the team’s offense to lose five of its last six games, score no more than 28 points from Week 11 on, and eventually get buried behind four interceptions and cowardly coaching in the Wild Card round. Roethlisberger has already said he’ll be back in 2021, but the organization would be wise to start prepping for the future as early as this year’s draft. 39 in May with no rushing floor to speak of, the veteran should merely be considered a QB2 on his last legs ahead of offseason drafts.

Jan 10, 2021, 11:46 PM ET

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said "it’s reasonable to assume there is a chance [Ben Roethlisberger] is going to be back, certainly."

You won't find more tortured coach-speak if you dedicated your life to finding it. The takeaway from Tomlin's carefully phrased comment is that no one really knows whether Roethlisberger, 38, will play out his contract, which ends after the 2021 season. He appeared emotional at the end of Pittsburgh's Wild Card loss to Cleveland, but didn't address his 2021 status after throwing four interceptions against the Browns. Roethlisberge's adjusted yards per attempt has plummeted over the past couple seasons and he struggled with accuracy at times in 2020, coming off elbow surgery. The Steelers would certainly make one more run with Roethlisberger if he's willing to give it another go in 2021. 

SOURCE: Joe Rutter on Twitter 

Jan 13, 2021, 2:27 PM ET

Steelers owner Art Rooney II said there would have to be "significant concessions" for Ben Roethlisberger to be back with the team in 2021. 

Roethlisberger's $41.2M cap hit won't work for the Steelers with the reduction in salary cap, Rooney said. It's a loaded statement about a soon-to-be 39-year-old QB who struggled mightily through large parts of the 2020 season. Roethlisberger's adjusted yards per attempt has plummeted over the past couple seasons and he struggled with accuracy at times in 2020, coming off elbow surgery. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said "it’s reasonable to assume there is a chance [Ben Roethlisberger] is going to be back, certainly," shortly after the team was embarrassed by the Browns in the Wild Card round. Rooney's statement creates real questions about whether Roethlisberger will give it one last go with Pittsburgh. The Steelers will have to grapple with difficult salary cap decisions in the coming months. 

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter 

Jan 28, 2021, 2:26 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger said he wants to restructure his contract. 

"I want to do everything I can and made that very clear to them from the very beginning that it was my idea to basically help the team however I can this year," Roethlisberger said. It puts team owner Art Rooney's Thursday comments in a very different light. Rooney said the Steelers would require "significant concessions" from the veteran if he was going to play another season in Pittsburgh. It seems Roethlisberger -- who has a $41.2 million cap hit in 2021 -- is on board with making the necessary adjustments needed to keep him at the head of the Steelers' offense for at least one more season. 

SOURCE: Ed Bouchette on Twitter 

Jan 28, 2021, 4:19 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger said he doesn't care about how much the Steelers pay him in 2021. 

Apparently Roethlisberger will play for the love of the game next season as he's trashed any leverage he may have had with the organization. After team owner Art Rooney said Roethlisberger could not play for the Steelers without a contract restructuring, the veteran QB was quick to concede if it meant another year in Pittsburgh. The Athletic's Ed Bouchette said it "sounds as if both sides are looking at just one more season for him." It seems Roethlisberger, who will be 39 next month, doesn't want to go out with a spectacular late-season collapse that ended with a Wild Card loss to Cleveland. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 2, 2021, 12:29 PM ET

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said he has to "look at this current [cap] situation" when asked about Ben Roethlisberger being the 2021 starting quarterback.

In a Wednesday press conference, Colbert had multiple chances to endorse Roethlisberger as his 2021 starting quarterback but repeatedly dodged questions. "As we sit here today, Ben is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers," Colbert continued. "What type of team can he anticipate being around him if we decide we can move forward together?” Roethlisberger comes with a $41.2 million cap hit if no contract adjustments are made this offseason. Teams don't like to end Hall of Fame careers with a sour taste, but Pittsburgh could cut Roethlisberger and save $19 million against the cap. Because the Steelers are $30 million over the cap, Colbert will have to make some very tough decisions in the next few weeks ahead of free agency. Roethlisberger tentatively remains the favorite to be the 2021 starter, but it's not a lock after the deliberate word choice by an experienced general manager. 

Feb 17, 2021, 1:06 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger's player rep said the Steelers have confirmed they want him back for 2021. 

GM Kevin Colbert Goff'd Roethlisberger a bit in a press conference last week, saying "as we sit here today, Ben is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Not a glowing endorsement, though Colbert hinted the main issue was Roethlisberger's mammoth $41.2 million cap hit. His agent insists they are willing to get "creative" to ensure Roethlisberger remains with the only team he has ever known. This situation seems like it will resolve with Roethlisberger remaining under center in Pittsburgh. 

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala on Twitter 

Feb 23, 2021, 6:39 PM ET

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Steelers owner Art Rooney II is expected to announce Ben Roethlisberger's return for 2021 on Wednesday. 

This firms up Tuesday words from Big Ben's agent. Roethlisberger's contract and $41.2 million 2021 cap hit need to be reworked, but it would appear neither side views that as much of an obstacle. Roethlisberger became a liability down the stretch of 2020 as his surgically-repaired throwing elbow appeared to die out, but he is the sort of player who has earned one more chance with his organization. The Steelers possess a readymade Super Bowl roster. Roethlisberger will be the weak link if he can't improve upon this winter's finish. 

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Feb 23, 2021, 9:26 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger said his 2020 offseason elbow procedure constituted a "total" reconstruction. 

"You know I had total reconstruction on my elbow," Roethlisberger told reporters Tuesday in an exchange about his struggles on downfield attempts in 2020. "That might have something to do with it. But no excuses." It's quite the admission, and sheds more light on how severe Roethlisberger's injury was after he missed almost the entire 2019 season. Roethlisberger, 39, said last year that he had dealt with elbow discomfort for most of his NFL career. He was 31st in accuracy on deep throws last year, completing 23 of his 76 attempts (30.3 percent) of over 20 yards. Roethlisberger has never been an accurate downfield passer but the Steelers offense became constrained by his arm issues in 2020. Roethlisberger insisted his arm felt good during Pittsburgh's voluntary offseason workouts.

Jun 1, 2021, 12:19 PM ET

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette said Ben Roethlisberger's surgically repaired right elbow should be stronger this year than it was in 2020.

Bouchette reports the Steelers in 2020 "devised a short passing game with a quick release from Roethlisberger" after the quarterback underwent surgery to reattach three flexor tendons that had torn off the bone. This naturally led to career lows in Roethlisberger's yards per attempt and yards per completion. Roethlisberger and the team expect him to have a stronger, more fully recovered throwing arm headed into the 2021 season. Bouchette said Roethlisberger is throwing far less this offseason than he was in the months leading up to Steelers training camp in 2020. “Last year, I threw thousands of balls in the offseason because we were rehabbing,’’ Roethlisberger said last week. “This year, it has gone back to the normal routine of throwing here, doing a little bit at home with the trainer. But mostly taking time off. I took a lot of time off from throwing so I hope and think and really believe it will pay dividends this year.” Roethlisberger was fantasy's QB12 before the team rested him during their season finale against Cleveland. His pass catchers -- especially deep threat Chase Claypool -- could be underdrafted if the 39 year old's reconstructed elbow has indeed gotten stronger.

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 7, 2021, 11:13 AM ET

“Ben will never mention the beating he has taken in the media but says from a dedication standpoint has never seen anything from Ben close to this in past. Source say obsessed with diet & workouts. “

Ben camp says biggest concern is weight loss. He has been so driven since season ended. Source says his diet is stricter than Brady.

Source goes on to say from an arm standpoint, Ben is more likely to win his first league MVP than finish outside top 10 in passing.

https://twitter.com/RyanBurr/status/1414659558358884353

Assuming this is accurate, a "svelt" Ben with a suspect o-line doesn't fit his previous MO. He extended plays by being hard to take down. Can't imagine he's adding "mobile" to his repertoire this late in the game...

Users who are viewing this thread