What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (4 Viewers)

How many of those seasons were playing for an Andy Reid offense?  What was Damien Williams' ypc when he was playing for a non-Andy Reid offense?
This is a fair point. When Damien was with the Dolphins, he was considered a good pass blocker and receiver, but as a runner, his YPC was pretty poor and he was effectively pushed to the bench by Kenyan Drake.

As we've seen countless times, situation matters a lot for RB success. Hyde may not be that good anymore, but could thrive as well given the opportunity in KC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that I find interesting about Reid signing Hyde is that there was talk about Hyde not fitting the outside zone west coast offense.

Andy knows something about this and he seems to see things differently...

The thing that I find interesting about Reid signing Hyde is that there was talk about Hyde not fitting the outside zone west coast offense.

Andy knows something about this and he seems to see things differently...
The simplest answer is that hyde is not cut out to be a feature back in an outside zone offense or a primary receiving threat but is capable in the ware role, and that williams is not cut out to be a 300 carry guy but is capable in the hunt role.  

How many of those seasons were playing for an Andy Reid offense?  What was Damien Williams' ypc when he was playing for a non-Andy Reid offense?
Williams averaged 3.58  in his 4 years with Miami. This was while Ajayi was averaging 4.3 and Drake was at 4.95 on the same offense. Hyde averaged 4.2 in his 4 years with the 49ers. Hyde won't put up monster numbers but he will impact Williams more than many want to admit.

The biggest concern to me is injury.  He didn't last long in Miami when Ajayi got dealt.  That's the only thing stopping me from buying everywhere possible because if he's on the field I'm convinced there's a strong RB1 season on the way.  

In a 12 team PPR league I believe his pick value is a late 1st rookie pick (1.10 - 1.12), but wouldn't blame anyone if they could get an early 2nd for him (say 2.1, 2.2, or 2.3).  I believe he will do very well in 2019 but I wouldn't bet the farm on him long term, not in a NY minute.   I suppose most would say that a rebuilding team should do this but not a contender.  Normally I would agree with that, but not in this case.  Williams will be 27 this April and doesn't have a history of success as a 3 down back and could be passed easily if the Chiefs spend a 4th round pick on a RB.  That's a big IF and it's not likely that RB takes over immediately like Hunt did.  One could also argue they should hold out for a late 1st or a 2020 1st in a trade,  but I don't think owners will bite on that in most cases because they see the uncertainty with Williams long term.  So, an early 2nd is probably the buying rate for most knowledgeable  owners.   Am I wrong on that?

Thoughts?

One wild card that could be part of the equation is the "other" Williams - Darrel. While we did not see much of him beyond special teams, he is a big kid that is also good out of the backfield catching the ball. The team thought enough of him to keep him on the practice squad early last year despite having Hunt, Ware and West all in the fold.

It may take an injury or two for Darrel, but he's someone to keep an eye on. 

One wild card that could be part of the equation is the "other" Williams - Darrel. While we did not see much of him beyond special teams, he is a big kid that is also good out of the backfield catching the ball. The team thought enough of him to keep him on the practice squad early last year despite having Hunt, Ware and West all in the fold.

He's got the potential to have the biggest swing in value in all of FF this season. It's important to note the Chiefs chose to roster Darrel & not risk losing him on the PS, despite having Hunt & company.

Darrel is a bruiser with very good receiving ability. A rare combination. He's closer to Hunt than any of their other backs.

It's hard to say what Darrel is capable of because he was hidden behind Fournette & Guice at LSU, but he's a legit prospect.

The biggest concern to me is injury.  He didn't last long in Miami when Ajayi got dealt.  That's the only thing stopping me from buying everywhere possible because if he's on the field I'm convinced there's a strong RB1 season on the way.  
Wait to 'buy' until,after the nfl draft...i would still think of him as a 1 year rental in dynasty....i would be very hesitant to overpay for him

This is a guy I was crushing all over until he didn't get drafted.  He was quite productive when he got his shots at LSU, and being behind Fournette and Guice isn't exactly a huge condemnation as to why he didn't get more touches - kind of the pre-Josh Jacobs model.  But going undrafted was a huge sign and I listen intently to NFL guys' actions.  I'm so torn on this guy and I have flipped my thoughts from "must stash" to "don't waste precious resources" probably a dozen times.

This is a guy I was crushing all over until he didn't get drafted.  He was quite productive when he got his shots at LSU, and being behind Fournette and Guice isn't exactly a huge condemnation as to why he didn't get more touches - kind of the pre-Josh Jacobs model.  But going undrafted was a huge sign and I listen intently to NFL guys' actions.  I'm so torn on this guy and I have flipped my thoughts from "must stash" to "don't waste precious resources" probably a dozen times.
The thing with these types of players is there's no investment so resources don't come into play. The worst you're wasting is a roster spot & while there's always a limited number of them, the last few are typically fluid. If another team already owns him, offer a 4th & see what happens. 4th-rounders are throw away picks the vast majority of the time, anyway. If push comes to shove, I'd probably give a late 3rd (2019 class) for Darrel.

There's absolutely no reason NOT to roster Darrel right now. At least until we know more. The payoff is too big (upside-to-cost ratio).

I was offered an early 2nd for( Damien Williams + a late 2nd) but turned it down.  If I can't get a late first or 2020 1st I'll just use him for 2019 and take whatever happens down the road.  My team is not in rebuild mode.

I was offered an early 2nd for Damien Williams and a late 2nd but turned it down.  If I can't get a late first or 2020 1st I'll just use him for 2019 and take whatever happens down the road.  My team is not in rebuild mode.
I turned down 1.08 for him a month or so ago, and in a second offer from someone else in a different league I turned down two 2nds from this year. I might regret the 1.08, but for this year's draft I think the 1.08 is right on the cusp of being worth a 1 year rental of high RB1 numbers. I just don't think I'm going to like anyone at 1.08 this year. 

Not saying Darrel will be another example, but we've seen plenty of productive RBs go undrafted. It's just not a position that NFL GMs place at a premium unlike in fantasy land.

The thing with these types of players is there's no investment so resources don't come into play. The worst you're wasting is a roster spot & while there's always a limited number of them, the last few are typically fluid. If another team already owns him, offer a 4th & see what happens. 4th-rounders are throw away picks the vast majority of the time, anyway. If push comes to shove, I'd probably give a late 3rd (2019 class) for Darrel. 

There's absolutely no reason NOT to roster Darrel right now. At least until we know more. The payoff is too big (upside-to-cost ratio).
You aren't in my leagues and no, the resources are not nearly that unconstrained.

Not saying Darrel will be another example, but we've seen plenty of productive RBs go undrafted. It's just not a position that NFL GMs place at a premium unlike in fantasy land.
Oh I hear ya and agree, I haven't at all written him off by a long shot.  But the predictive value of draft position is pretty positive and I can't recklessly hunt exceptions when working within a budget.

You aren't in my leagues and no, the resources are not nearly that unconstrained.
It doesn’t matter if I’m in your league or not. What resources? Even if it requires some form of “payment”, Darrel costs little to nothing. If somebody already owns him, that’s a different story.

It essentially requires the use of a roster spot. He shouldn’t be a FA in ANY league. Period.

It doesn’t matter if I’m in your league or not. What resources? Even if it requires some form of “payment”, Darrel costs little to nothing. If somebody already owns him, that’s a different story.

It essentially requires the use of a roster spot. He shouldn’t be a FA in ANY league. Period.
It matters because last year Rico was the best stash ever and this year the backup D. Williams is a good stash at no cost according to you. At some point you have to choose what stash to make.  For you it seems like you have unlimited benches at no cost according to your posts. I see your posts and you made good points about the backup D. Williams until I remember last years posts about Rico.

It matters because last year Rico was the best stash ever and this year the backup D. Williams is a good stash at no cost according to you. At some point you have to choose what stash to make.  For you it seems like you have unlimited benches at no cost according to your posts. I see your posts and you made good points about the backup D. Williams until I remember last years posts about Rico.
What part of stash don’t you understand? It essentially means a player that likely won’t pan out, but has an outstanding upside to cost ratio.

Of course the hit percentage is going to be low on these types of players. Anyway, if you had followed every one of my recommendations on this board since I’ve been here, you’d be WAY ahead of the game. Regardless, I’ll never understand posters like yourself. I don’t get it. Just blows my mind, lol.

As far as Darrel, I’m simply saying he should be rostered in every single league (whether he ultimately pans out or not). Whether you or anyone else specifically does it is up to your/their discretion.

Daryl Williams is rostered in all 8 of my dynasty leagues,

What part of stash don’t you understand? It essentially means a player that likely won’t pan out, but has an outstanding upside to cost ratio.

Of course the hit percentage is going to be low on these types of players. Anyway, if you had followed every one of my recommendations on this board since I’ve been here, you’d be WAY ahead of the game. Regardless, I’ll never understand posters like yourself. I don’t get it. Just blows my mind, lol.

As far as Darrel, I’m simply saying he should be rostered in every single league (whether he ultimately pans out or not). Whether you or anyone else specifically does it is up to your/their discretion.
You may not get posters like me, but I will never understand you.  You literally said Rico was the best stash you could ever have, last year.  The problem was that could be the case, but it didn't turn out that way and you will never admit it.  This year is Darrel Williams.  I point out thet you again say there is no reason to not roster him, but there is.  It depends on roster size and again each spot you need to evaluate on who is most important.  You act like this is some complex theory.  It is easy.  You claim guys are the best stash ever that never pan out.

You may not get posters like me, but I will never understand you.  You literally said Rico was the best stash you could ever have, last year.  The problem was that could be the case, but it didn't turn out that way and you will never admit it.  This year is Darrel Williams.  I point out thet you again say there is no reason to not roster him, but there is.  It depends on roster size and again each spot you need to evaluate on who is most important.  You act like this is some complex theory.  It is easy.  You claim guys are the best stash ever that never pan out.
You're simply not getting it.

As far as Darrel, don't roster him if you feel he's not worth it. Simple. That said, he should be rostered in every traditional-type dynasty league without fail. That's the bottom line.

Anyway, this is Damien's thread. I'd be interested at the right price, but his owners are very likely going to want more than I'm willing to pay. I'm very leery of his ability to be anything more than a short-term starter. My main gripe is he's not an instinctive runner. He's got below-average instincts, actually. However, Damien will have outstanding value (at least this season) if he wins the starter's job & it's not a RBBC.

You're simply not getting it.

As far as Darrel, don't roster him if you feel he's not worth it. Simple. That said, he should be rostered in every traditional-type dynasty league without fail. That's the bottom line.

Anyway, this is Damien's thread. I'd be interested at the right price, but his owners are very likely going to want more than I'm willing to pay. I'm leery of his ability to be anything more than a short-term starter. My main gripe is he's not an instinctive runner. He's got below average instincts, actually. However, Damien will have outstanding value (at least this season) if he wins the starter's job & it's not a RBBC.
You keep attacking me as the poster with: I don't understand a stash and I am not getting it.  Let's keep it to the players.

Stashes don't aways break out, but you sell them as a must have when really they are not.  How many catches did Rico have?  When this stash doesnt work out will you ever admit you have no idea what it means when you say "he should be rostered in every traditional-type dynasty league without fail. That's the bottom line." 

To be more helpful maybe the approach would be this is what I see in the player...These are the reasons you should stash him.  

You keep attacking me as the poster with: I don't understand a stash and I am not getting it.  Let's keep it to the players.

Stashes don't aways break out, but you sell them as a must have when really they are not.  Have many catches did Rico have?  When this stash doesnt work out will you ever admit you have no idea what it means when you say "he should be rostered in every traditional-type dynasty league without fail. That's the bottom line." 

To be more helpful maybe the approach would be this is what I see in the player...These are the reasons you should stash him.  
I’ll try one more time. He should be rostered in every single traditional-type dynasty league in existence. Whether you or anyone else does it depends on a lot of factors.

Darrel’s upside to cost ratio is simply too good for every team in a given league to pass on him. I’m extremely confident in saying that. It’s really just common sense.

I’ll try one more time. He should be rostered in every single traditional-type dynasty league in existence. Whether you or anyone else does it depends on a lot of factors.

Darrel’s upside to cost ratio is simply too good for every team in a given league to pass on him. I’m extremely confident in saying that. It’s really just common sense.
I believe the point smbkrypt24 is making is one of opportunity cost.   He feels that he hasn't seen enough from Darrel to value him over anyone on his current roster.  Your point is that someone in the league must have a spot...  And that does depend on factors such as roster size.

I might avoid the term "common sense" as some may be reluctant to invest in a UDFA with a 4.72 40, especially in a league with a smaller roster size...  Not to say Williams couldn't find a major role on that prolific offense - but he has challenges in front of him.

I believe the point smbkrypt24 is making is one of opportunity cost.   He feels that he hasn't seen enough from Darrel to value him over anyone on his current roster.  Your point is that someone in the league must have a spot...  And that does depend on factors such as roster size.

I might avoid the term "common sense" as some may be reluctant to invest in a UDFA with a 4.72 40, especially in a league with a smaller roster size...  Not to say Williams couldn't find a major role on that prolific offense - but he has challenges in front of him.
I explained it's up to the individual whether to roster him. Also, I mentioned I was referring to traditional-type dynasty leagues where rosters are typically pretty good size.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Darrel's talent or 40 time, the Chiefs used a valuable roster spot on him instead of risking the PS designation (& potentially losing him) despite their depth at the position. To be clear, I'm not predicting success for Darrel. Far from it, but his potential value swing is about as big as it gets. You would be hard-pressed to find a better pure stash due to his outstanding cost to upside ratio. And it's not like Damien & Hyde are world-beaters.

I explained it's up to the individual whether to roster him. Also, I mentioned I was referring to traditional-type dynasty leagues where rosters are typically pretty good size.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Darrel's talent or 40 time, the Chiefs used a valuable roster spot on him instead of risking the PS designation (& potentially losing him) despite their depth at the position. To be clear, I'm not predicting success for Darrel. Far from it, but his potential value swing is about as high as it gets. You would be hard-pressed to find a better pure stash due to his outstanding cost to upside ratio. And it's not like Damien & Hyde are world-beaters.
I think this is a good way to look at it.  Full disclosure, I own Hyde and Darrel in a keeper league, hoping something works out for '19 but who knows.

I'm a bit of a combine skeptic, but Darrel's 4.72 doesn't scare me - he doesn't look slow in the limited game time he's had.  For the record, Kareem Hunt's combine 40 was 4.62, but he certainly plays with faster game speed.

One other thing I would add - since joining the Chiefs in 2013, Andy Reid, or the Chiefs front office, have done a pretty good job of identifying RBs who weren't the "pick of the litter," so to speak.  Hunt as a 3rd-round pick, Ware as a cut from the Seahawks, Charcandrick West as an undrafted FA.  We know so little about Darrel, who knows what they may think.

Hopefully I don't sound like a cheerleader - presume Damien's job til he loses it.

Football Jones said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Darrel's talent or 40 time, the Chiefs used a valuable roster spot on him instead of risking the PS designation (& potentially losing him) despite their depth at the position. To be clear, I'm not predicting success for Darrel. Far from it, but his potential value swing is about as big as it gets. You would be hard-pressed to find a better pure stash due to his outstanding cost to upside ratio. And it's not like Damien & Hyde are world-beaters.
I have him on 4 of my 5 rosters, but you're building him up into more than he really is at this point.

Yes, what happened last season (Chiefs keeping him on the roster) was a good sign - but it's not hard to imagine he doesn't survive roster cuts this season. Williams and Hyde are locks at this point, and we still have the upcoming draft to worry about. And any roster stash has a great cost to upside ratio (that's pretty much the point of end of the bench fliers).

I have him on 4 of my 5 rosters, but you're building him up into more than he really is at this point.

Yes, what happened last season (Chiefs keeping him on the roster) was a good sign - but it's not hard to imagine he doesn't survive roster cuts this season. Williams and Hyde are locks at this point, and we still have the upcoming draft to worry about. And any roster stash has a great cost to upside ratio (that's pretty much the point of end of the bench fliers).
I'm not building him up. People need to understand the concept of a pure stash/flier/whatever you want to call it. I like to use the very bottom of my roster on super-high upside guys as opposed to safer, lower upside guys. I'm simply sharing my thoughts on the matter.

You don't have to have a high hit percentage on these types of players to make this strategy worthwhile. Identifying them is kind of an art, IMO. The chances are against Darrel & he may very well not amount to anything (& likely won't), but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the upside. If you don't like risk, don't roster him.

I don't know what else I can do to try to explain it. I literally said I wasn't predicting success for him. If I was confident, believe me, I'd make a statement to that effect (like I've done many times on here about certain players).

You are still wrong, since you clearly don't know my leagues' rules.

Stop acting like no one else understands this concept.
Who says it’s hard to grasp? I’m sure most do, but it’s obvious some people don’t by their comments.

That’s fine in & of itself, but it’s clear some people are simply looking to pick a fight.

It’s easy to hide behind the keyboard.

You are still wrong, since you clearly don't know my leagues' rules.
If Darrel was a FA in your league it would require a big investment?

I have no idea what kind of league you’re in, but as I’ve stated numerous times, I’m only referring to typical dynasty leagues.

Who says it’s hard to grasp? I’m sure most do, but it’s obvious some people don’t by their comments.

That’s fine in & of itself, but it’s clear some people are simply looking to pick a fight.

I'm not seeing this at all...  people seem to be beyond polite here.

Try the political threads if you want to see some panties fly.

I'm not seeing this at all...  people seem to be beyond polite here.

Try the political threads if you want to see some panties fly.
LOL. No thanks.

Anyway, in regards to Darrel, when I say he's simply a great stash, but I get snarky feedback, it shows where they want to go. LOL.

I don't know how many times I need to say I'm not recommending him as an FF asset (yet). Only that he's a fantastic stash (which he is) & should be rostered in every typical dynasty league.

You’re being a bit bizarre here. People are disagreeing with your extreme stance (must be owned under all circumstances!!!) and you’re lecturing as if they’re not smart enough to understand what a flier or stash is. We all get it, and while like I said I own him in 4 of 5 leagues, he’s really not better or worse than most end of bench stashes. He’s far more likely not to pan out than to return huge dividends but of course I agree he offers that potential huge dividend.

No one was “picking a fight”. So stop with that also.

You’re being a bit bizarre here. People are disagreeing with your extreme stance (must be owned under all circumstances!!!) and you’re lecturing as if they’re not smart enough to understand what a flier or stash is. We all get it, and while like I said I own him in 4 of 5 leagues, he’s really not better or worse than most end of bench stashes. He’s far more likely not to pan out than to return huge dividends but of course I agree he offers that potential huge dividend.

No one was “picking a fight”. So stop with that also.
He needs to be owned in all typical dynasty lesgues, but as always, take or leave what you read on this site.

I’m simply giving my opinion. Deal with it. I’d suggest doing what I do when I don’t agree with something on here & there’s nothing to be gained by debating it. I just go on to the next post & save the SP aggrevation.

At the same time, if I get a snarky response, I just might get snarky back. People get awfully brave behind a keyboard, much like yourself.

Bottom line, I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t agree with my stance on Darrel. My advice is to do what I suggested. It sounds like it would definitely save you a lot of grief.

He needs to be owned in all typical dynasty lesgues, but as always, take or leave what you read on this site.

I’m simply giving my opinion. Deal with it. I’d suggest doing what I do when I don’t agree with something on here & there’s nothing to be gained by debating it. I just go on to the next post & save the SP aggrevation.

At the same time, if I get a snarky response, I just might get snarky back. People get awfully brave behind a keyboard, much like yourself.

Bottom line, I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t agree with my stance on Darrel. My advice is to do what I said. It sounds like it would definitely save you a lot of grief.
Actually, I take back what I said, YOU seem to be the one looking for a fight.

Guys, take this to another thread or better yet just stop this irrelevant bickering and reliving past debates about different league settings where rico gathers or some practice squad rb may or may not be rostered in hank's league or whether they're always worth acquiring or whatever this worthless offseason argument has devolved into. 

There are no winners in this debate

Guys, this is the Damien thread. Let’s talk Damien.

Pull up the Darrel thread if you want to discuss him further. I’ve pretty much said all I’m going to say for now, but he makes for interesting discussion since the potential payoff is so high.

Guys, take this to another thread or better yet just stop this irrelevant bickering and reliving past debates about different league settings where rico gathers or some practice squad rb may or may not be rostered in hank's league or whether they're always worth acquiring or whatever this worthless offseason argument has devolved into. 

There are no winners in this debate
Agreed. I posted at the same time you did saying essentially the same thing.

This guy is 90% situation/opportunity and 10% talent/skills. 

He's a huge sell right now IMO if you can get near some of the high prices he's going for.  Value could get crushed by a draft pick... And only stands to gain slightly from the lack of a draft pick.

Also don't know about how Hyde factors in. 6 months ago it would have been crazy talk to suggest Damien had better talent than Hyde. 

This guy is 90% situation/opportunity and 10% talent/skills. 

He's a huge sell right now IMO if you can get near some of the high prices he's going for.  Value could get crushed by a draft pick... And only stands to gain slightly from the lack of a draft pick.

Also don't know about how Hyde factors in. 6 months ago it would have been crazy talk to suggest Damien had better talent than Hyde. 
I’m concerned about Hyde, too. He’s much more than just a guy.

I was offered an early 2nd for Damien Williams and a late 2nd but turned it down.  If I can't get a late first or 2020 1st I'll just use him for 2019 and take whatever happens down the road.  My team is not in rebuild mode.
That sentence hurts my head. 

Users who are viewing this thread