Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Damien Wiliams - RB - Oklahoma


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad omen for Damien.

You are an intelligent, diligent and valuable poster. But you're coming across as wearing heavy Williams-colored glasses, starting the last couple weeks, and much more so after yesterday's game. You'r

A lot.  It happens.  But it's lazy analysis to just ask that one question. When was the last time you saw someone in kc emerge late in the previous season and be hailed as a high draft pick

5 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

I looked at those last two playoff runs... he was at 3.9 a carry.  He does have 10 TDs.

He has been good and usable, but the Helaire talent is huge and will push Williams to an afterthought by the end of the year.

Looks like 4.4 yard per carry over the last 2 playoffs with KC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously he has the trust of the coaching staff and will still be used.  However, he is not the talent of CEH and gains a lot of his stats because of the position he is put in and the other weapons on the team.  This is why CEH has skyrocketed up draft boards because people see a more talented player getting the benefit of the system around him.  That is not to say that the Chiefs will just through Williams to the curb (yet). 

 

Williams will have value and is a bargain in drafts right now.  He will still be used until he gets injured which may be when CEH begins to take over.  For redrafts, I would much rather get Williams at his price than CEH at his and that is the value here.  The Chiefs like Williams and trust him and that will go a long way at the beginning of the season to seeing the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gally said:

Obviously he has the trust of the coaching staff and will still be used.  However, he is not the talent of CEH and gains a lot of his stats because of the position he is put in and the other weapons on the team.  This is why CEH has skyrocketed up draft boards because people see a more talented player getting the benefit of the system around him.  That is not to say that the Chiefs will just through Williams to the curb (yet). 

Are we 100% certain that CEH isn't also a product of a system? In 2018, he had less carries and receptions than Nick Brosette and wasn't anything remotely close to a star player. The 2019 LSU offense breaks nearly every college record possible and CEH shined but so did everyone. Burrow had 65 TDs, Jefferson had 1500/18, Chase had 1700/20, Marshall had 600/13 and Moss had 500/4. These are video game numbers and I don't think it's easy to parse out who/what was driving this production and who was along for the ride. I think it's a very bold stance to assume Damien is the inferior talent to CEH. 

1 hour ago, Gally said:

 

Williams will have value and is a bargain in drafts right now.  He will still be used until he gets injured which may be when CEH begins to take over.  For redrafts, I would much rather get Williams at his price than CEH at his and that is the value here.  The Chiefs like Williams and trust him and that will go a long way at the beginning of the season to seeing the field. 

Agree here 100%

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Are we 100% certain that CEH isn't also a product of a system? In 2018, he had less carries and receptions than Nick Brosette and wasn't anything remotely close to a star player. The 2019 LSU offense breaks nearly every college record possible and CEH shined but so did everyone. Burrow had 65 TDs, Jefferson had 1500/18, Chase had 1700/20, Marshall had 600/13 and Moss had 500/4. These are video game numbers and I don't think it's easy to parse out who/what was driving this production and who was along for the ride. I think it's a very bold stance to assume Damien is the inferior talent to CEH. 

My comments were in regard to Williams and that he isn't going to be tossed aside.  I was also stating that many people see CEH has much more talented (I am one of those guys) which is why he moved up on draft boards.  CEH could be a product of a system but if so he has shown he can succeed in that type of system.  He has the tools and should be put in a position to maximize his ability to succeed.  It is yet to be seen if he will actually take advantage of that opportunity. 

 

I think Williams is the better redraft value but I also have CEH at the top of my dynasty board.  I was a believer in his talent before the landing spot.  The landing spot has just made it virtually impossible for me to get him now since I am at the back end of the first in my drafts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gally said:

My comments were in regard to Williams and that he isn't going to be tossed aside.  I was also stating that many people see CEH has much more talented (I am one of those guys) which is why he moved up on draft boards.  CEH could be a product of a system but if so he has shown he can succeed in that type of system.  He has the tools and should be put in a position to maximize his ability to succeed.  It is yet to be seen if he will actually take advantage of that opportunity. 

 

I think Williams is the better redraft value but I also have CEH at the top of my dynasty board.  I was a believer in his talent before the landing spot.  The landing spot has just made it virtually impossible for me to get him now since I am at the back end of the first in my drafts. 

Yeah, I agree with what you said about value and early usage this year. I am just challenging the assumed notion everyone is making that CEH is for sure more talented than Williams. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah, I agree with what you said about value and early usage this year. I am just challenging the assumed notion everyone is making that CEH is for sure more talented than Williams. 

I believe so but I thought that before his landing spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah, I agree with what you said about value and early usage this year. I am just challenging the assumed notion everyone is making that CEH is for sure more talented than Williams. 

I don't even care if he's more talented.  I'll just concede the point that he is.

Doesn't matter.  Williams has thrived in this offense (he just can't stay healthy for 16 games).  He knows the offense.  He breaks big plays.  He moves the chains.  He pass protects well.  He catches the ball out of the backfield well.  They won a superbowl with him as their starter.  He does everything you want.  It makes zero sense to toss an asset like that on the bench for the entire game. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

 

Quote

Chiefs RB Damien Williams opted out of the 2020 NFL season.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach supports Williams' decision, one that was difficult to make but is in the best interest of himself and his family. Williams will be set to rejoin the NFL in 2021. For fantasy football purposes, it's the biggest player to opt of the season. Williams was a reasonable mid-round selection and hedge to rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who now should be a first-round pick in fantasy drafts. Edwards-Helaire was previously being selected in the late second round.

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

SOURCE: Chiefs on Twitter

Jul 29, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Does he have an underlying medical condition?

 

There was no specific reason cited on his decision to opt-out as far as I can tell:

Quote

Kansas City Chiefs @Chiefs

"As an organization, we certainly understand and respect Damien’s choice, knowing it was made in the best interest of his family. He means a lot to our football team as a player and a person, and we’re going to miss having him around this season.”

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I suppose everyone will be checking the waiver wire for KC's other  backups.  Anyone believe they might bring in another RB that could be relevant? 

McCoy seems obvious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Wasn't he a healthy scratch by year's end and now even a year older?

Yes and even in pressure packed playoff games they went with a late round rookie over him in Darwin.

Put me down as a no on KC bringing anyone in of relevance at RB. They did not when Spencer Ware went down and don't see them doing it now either.

As for who is the backup I don't know but my guess would be if any one RB can seize that role it would be Darwin, but its more likely to me that it's a RBBC if CEH went down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, menobrown said:

Yes and even in pressure packed playoff games they went with a late round rookie over him in Darwin.

Put me down as a no on KC bringing anyone in of relevance at RB. They did not when Spencer Ware went down and don't see them doing it now either.

As for who is the backup I don't know but my guess would be if any one RB can seize that role it would be Darwin, but its more likely to me that it's a RBBC if CEH went down.

I really think this is the spot for D. Freeman.  Yes, he is on my dynasty team so yes I am biased/hopeful.  But, it just makes too much sense.  This is the defending champs and favorites to win it this year.  There is no preseason to get CEH up to speed, and a totally jacked up offseason in general.  Freeman can catch the ball, and bang it between the tackles but most of all is a proven veteran presence who has played in big games and wont need time to adjust to the NFL game.  I loved Darwin in the preseason last year but he showed pretty much nothign in the regular season.  He may prove to be an NFL RB, but he hasnt yet.  If this was not a contending team, I could see them rolling with what they have - but this is a team that can repeat, and having a veteran in the backfield seems wise on many levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

I really think this is the spot for D. Freeman.  Yes, he is on my dynasty team so yes I am biased/hopeful.  But, it just makes too much sense.  This is the defending champs and favorites to win it this year.  There is no preseason to get CEH up to speed, and a totally jacked up offseason in general.  Freeman can catch the ball, and bang it between the tackles but most of all is a proven veteran presence who has played in big games and wont need time to adjust to the NFL game.  I loved Darwin in the preseason last year but he showed pretty much nothign in the regular season.  He may prove to be an NFL RB, but he hasnt yet.  If this was not a contending team, I could see them rolling with what they have - but this is a team that can repeat, and having a veteran in the backfield seems wise on many levels.

it makes so much sense that it probably won't happen.

Also not sure they can afford him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, menobrown said:

Yes and even in pressure packed playoff games they went with a late round rookie over him in Darwin.

Put me down as a no on KC bringing anyone in of relevance at RB. They did not when Spencer Ware went down and don't see them doing it now either.

As for who is the backup I don't know but my guess would be if any one RB can seize that role it would be Darwin, but its more likely to me that it's a RBBC if CEH went down.

PFN speculating that the handcuff might be DeAndre Washington:

 

Quote

Beyond Edwards-Helaire, I think the other running back I would want might be DeAndre Washington. We have already seen how volatile the offseason can be, so taking a late-round flier makes sense. He already has chemistry with the NFL’s $500 million man as they played together at Texas Tech. 

While the three-game sample size is small, Washington did an excellent job when starting in place of Josh Jacobs when he was in Oakland. He averaged 20.5 fantasy points per game and was an RB1 in each of those weeks. 

Source: How Damien Williams’ choice to opt-out affects fantasy football

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, menobrown said:

Yes and even in pressure packed playoff games they went with a late round rookie over him in Darwin.

Put me down as a no on KC bringing anyone in of relevance at RB. They did not when Spencer Ware went down and don't see them doing it now either.

As for who is the backup I don't know but my guess would be if any one RB can seize that role it would be Darwin, but its more likely to me that it's a RBBC if CEH went down.

Fantasy Football Impact: Damien Williams Opts Out Due to COVID-19

Excerpt:

Quote

2) Who are you targeting behind CEH as the backup to own in Kansas City?

I can’t imagine they’ll proceed without signing someone to fill that role, be it Miller, Freeman, or bringing back in LeSean McCoy. Depending on who it is, they may be the best handcuff, but more likely than not, there is no direct replacement were CEH to suffer an injury. This would probably end up being a heavily split backfield as we’ve seen Reid use before when his starter goes down. Darwin Thompson is the best bet who is currently on the roster, though.
– Bobby Sylvester (@bobbyfantasypro)

I’m not targeting anyone as of now because, frankly, we just don’t know who the primary backup will be. But if I’m drafting today, the first Chiefs running back not named Clyde Edwards-Helaire that I’d be drafting is DeAndre Washington. The concerns about the lack of preseason games apply to Washington, too, but the bottom line is that the Chiefs went out and signed Washington, the exact type of veteran back that Andy Reid likes to have in his system, despite having Darwin Thompson and Darrel Williams on the roster. So, if I absolutely had to choose a backup, it would be him. But, because we don’t know how this shakes out, including whether the Chiefs sign someone new, I wouldn’t even bother worrying about it much if you’re drafting today.
– Dan Harris (@danharris80)

I fully expect the Chiefs to sign someone that’s currently a free agent like Devonta Freeman or Lamar Miller, but if you’re in a deep Dynasty league right now and you have an open spot at the end of your bench, DeAndre Washington is worth adding to your roster just in case.
– Kyle Yates (@KyleYNFL)

 

Edited by Faust
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

I really think this is the spot for D. Freeman.  Yes, he is on my dynasty team so yes I am biased/hopeful.  But, it just makes too much sense.  This is the defending champs and favorites to win it this year.  There is no preseason to get CEH up to speed, and a totally jacked up offseason in general.  Freeman can catch the ball, and bang it between the tackles but most of all is a proven veteran presence who has played in big games and wont need time to adjust to the NFL game.  I loved Darwin in the preseason last year but he showed pretty much nothign in the regular season.  He may prove to be an NFL RB, but he hasnt yet.  If this was not a contending team, I could see them rolling with what they have - but this is a team that can repeat, and having a veteran in the backfield seems wise on many levels.

Sight unseen and all but I think CEH can do everything Freeman can at this point but do it better.

Darwin showed nothing because he did not get a chance.

37/128 rushing and  9/43 receiving.

46/193 rushing and 9/86 receiving.

One of those numbers above is Darwins  rookie year and the other is Westbrooks. No not saying he's Westbrook, and if KC thought that they'd not have drafted CEH, just pointing out that I don't think his usage or production his rookie year should be held against him, but I would say being active for the playoffs and SB over McCoy was kind of telling.

I think the lack of preseason games as it relates to RB's is seriously overblown.  RB's barely play in preseason games. He's got a good 40 days of camp to mentally prepare and a few weeks of tackling. I think that's good enough especially since it's my belief they start the season using multiple RB's because this is a team that should feel good about prospects of playing deep into playoffs and having CEH not worn down would seem to be something they will be cognizant about.

If the Chiefs end up adding a RB I think it will be someone struggling to or not making another teams roster. For example the Steelers just signed Smallwood and some beat writers feel it's between him and Samuels for that last spot. The loser of that battle is the kind of RB I think the Chiefs might poke around on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I’m not targeting anyone as of now because, frankly, we just don’t know who the primary backup will be. But if I’m drafting today, the first Chiefs running back not named Clyde Edwards-Helaire that I’d be drafting is DeAndre Washington. The concerns about the lack of preseason games apply to Washington, too, but the bottom line is that the Chiefs went out and signed Washington, the exact type of veteran back that Andy Reid likes to have in his system, despite having Darwin Thompson and Darrel Williams on the roster. So, if I absolutely had to choose a backup, it would be him. But, because we don’t know how this shakes out, including whether the Chiefs sign someone new, I wouldn’t even bother worrying about it much if you’re drafting today.
– Dan Harris (@danharris80)

This is terribly flawed logic.  They didn't go and sign Thompson or Williams over Washington because they already had them under contract.    Signing him doesn't mean they like him better, it just means they need another body. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
Quote

DAMIEN WILLIAMSRB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs RB Damien Williams and RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif are expected to opt-in to the 2021 season.

Both players opted out of the 2020 season but appear ready to return for the team next year. It's difficult to say what the risks of playing will be next season but the 2020 season went well and things should continue to improve in the NFL's second year while operating under COVID-19 protocols. Duvernay-Tardif started 14 games for the Chiefs in 2019 and 60 games dating back to 2015. Damien Williams broke out in 2019 with 711 yards and seven scores before performing extremely well in the playoffs. His return will ensure that the Chiefs don't bring back Le'Veon Bell and could murky the water of their backfield. Clyde Edwards-Helaire cost the Chiefs a first-round pick but hasn't been meaningfully better than UDFA back Darrel Williams. 

The last time Damien played with the Chiefs, they won the Super Bowl  :whistle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, djjosee said:

The last time Damien played with the Chiefs, they won the Super Bowl  :whistle:

And in my opinion was the obvious SB MVP 

Mahomes 286 py, 2 TDs, 2 INTs 4 sacks, 63.5 QBR

Williams 133 tot yards, 2 tds, scored the go ahead TD on a catch and sealed it with a 38 yard rushing TD. Shredded that 9ers D. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kewin316 said:

And in my opinion was the obvious SB MVP 

Mahomes 286 py, 2 TDs, 2 INTs 4 sacks, 63.5 QBR

Williams 133 tot yards, 2 tds, scored the go ahead TD on a catch and sealed it with a 38 yard rushing TD. Shredded that 9ers D. 

 

I agree.  Same as Dominic Rhodes should have been the MVP when the Colts won the Super Bowl but you knew it was going to Manning

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Damien wasn’t a huge thorn in the side of CEH owners next year. 

Yup. As much as CEH drafted crushed Williams value,  Williams' return will crush (what's left of) CEH's value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gally said:

I agree.  Same as Dominic Rhodes should have been the MVP when the Colts won the Super Bowl but you knew it was going to Manning

While we're at it, James White in SB 51.

What's a RB gotta do to get some respect around here?

Edited by jtd13
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...