What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darrin Reaves - RB - Carolina Panthers - UDFA (1 Viewer)

Xue

Footballguy
Dynasty

If you are looking for an MJD-esque RB, Darrin Reaves is your guy. He put up really good testing numbers outside of the 40. While he doesn't have the pure speed of Jones-Drew, he betters him in every other category. Just a note: he ran all his timed drills on natural grass, so he "could" be a little better than he measured.

He's also 21 years old as a rookie, same as MJD was as a rookie. (I don't think the majority of Dynasty owners realize how important this is.)

I liked what I saw on tape. Looked good vs LSU. Reminded me of a lot of Devonta Freeman when I was evaluating him. Though, I don't believe Reaves is any less talented than Freeman.

Here is some close up video of him in practice if you want to see his thick, compact, build a la MJD.

Here is another run from practice. Here is the 6-yard TD run from Wk 1 preseason.

For those questioning Reaves' "production" in college on why he wasn't the clear-cut feature RB for his own team, MJD wasn't either. Also, MJD didn't become the feature back in the NFL until his 4th season.

He's basically free right now, so why not take a chance. Gaffney owners should make the switch, especially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina fans were pretty happy Gman snagged him as an UDFA and they're certainly liking what they're seeing so far. I'm wondering if he's going to get a shot on returns as well considering Carolina doesn't have a locked and loaded returner.

Makes us more frustrated with the Gaffney pick honestly, but... GMan has done a whole, whole lot more right than wrong thus far.

Almost made this thread yesterday. I'm also surprised about the general lack of buzz considering the buzz around Oliver.

Here is some college film

"where he wins" is the type of stuff that can get you snaps early in a career... decisive, north/south, finishes tough, falls forward, adequate pass pro, pass catching

I think many see the situation at RB in Carolina and immediately pass. You could make the argument the situation is perfect for a guy like Reaves.

why?

1) I do not believe Panthers wanted to keep Stewart + Dwill long term at all. They simply spread $ over the longterm to win in 13 + 14 and accepted their fate.

2) an UDFA Reaves won't ever be relied on early in a career. What better duo to be in front of him than an often injured vet, and one who can't catch and isn't physical? Both of whom are essentially gauranteed gone by 2016.

3) Tolbert turns 30 and contract ends in 2015.

4) Looks like the Panthers are done with Barner

5) The Panthers seem to be over D Will somewhat also considering how quickly they appointed Stewart as the starter in the offseason when he had not even put pads on yet

I like what I have seen of him on tape. He is a smart runner with good vision. Not a burner per se but fast enough. Strong, low center of gravity. I liked him better as an RB than Gaffney from day one.

How come this dude didn't get any touches last night.
Mainly because Fozzy Whitaker has caught the coaches eye. He has looked explosive in camp and they wanted to see him in game. He is a bit smaller than Reaves but he is faster and he runs strong.

How come this dude didn't get any touches last night.
Mainly because Fozzy Whitaker has caught the coaches eye. He has looked explosive in camp and they wanted to see him in game. He is a bit smaller than Reaves but he is faster and he runs strong.
Reaves was inactive because of a knee injury
Missed that news. I had been hearing a lot about Fozzy from coaches and wanting to see him in game time and thought it was that.

I hope he gets a few touches this weekend, I've held him so far in my deep leagues waiting for him to get promoted to the active roster due to injury.

He's replacing Fozzy Whittaker, the 3rd RB (or really 4th behind Tolbert), who's doubtful. And I hear DeAngelo will play. Reaves not likely to get any touches if he does.

Rivera on banged-up RB situation: “Darrin Reaves may have to oil it up and play some football.”

Stewart and Williams are making too much money for both of them to hit the bench if healthy (big if, of course). The question is how long will team brass keep putting one or both of these guys before they give up on them and give another guy like Reaves a shot.

Any RB on this team is virtually worthless.
I disagree. Notwithstanding last night, the Panthers have a strong defense and are not looking for Cam to throw the ball 30-40 times.

I think the team would love to develop a consistent running game, but consistency has been all but impossible with the constant alternating injuries between Williams and Stewart.

If I made a move on this guy, with Stewart and Tolbert out, (Yeah, they won't be playing this week), I would hope he goes big and dump him on the 1st owner I could. He definitely now has value in securing a dynasty draft pick with those 2 guys shelved.

If I made a move on this guy, with Stewart and Tolbert out, (Yeah, they won't be playing this week), I would hope he goes big and dump him on the 1st owner I could. He definitely now has value in securing a dynasty draft pick with those 2 guys shelved.
What "owner" of any RB in this CAR backfield will pay a premium for Reaves? I doubt people are actually relying on any piece of this backfield let alone would want to trade for a sort of handcuff.

Should be interesting to see if Lache gets promoted as well. Possibly too soon for him to have learned the offense.

What "owner" of any RB in this CAR backfield will pay a premium for Reaves? I doubt people are actually relying on any piece of this backfield let alone would want to trade for a sort of handcuff.
You would be amazed at what a 2 TD performance will do early in the season.

The one that has this as his 4 man RB crew: Sproles, Forsett, Moreno, Gerhart.

You would be amazed at what a 2 TD performance will do early in the season.

The one that has this as his 4 man RB crew: Sproles, Forsett, Moreno, Gerhart.
I'm sorry I misread your post. I thought you said you were going to try and sell to a Stewart/Tolbert owner.

Likely. Then again I think they are watching last night's tape and realizing they lost in large part because they abandoned the run.

They just might be forcing carries to whoever they can and it just so happens to be the same week Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Whitaker are all out.

Likely. Then again I think they are watching last night's tape and realizing they lost in large part because they abandoned the run.

They just might be forcing carries to whoever they can and it just so happens to be the same week Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Whitaker are all out.
You put DeAngelo as the man, he will put up nice numbers. He will have some stinker carries but those will average out with the big runs...if they had the brains to give it to him. His career ypc proves that. But until their philosophy changes no RB has FF value.

This seems almost too good to be true - Reaves will be getting all of the Panthers' RB touches almost to himself?
No williams is going to play this week
Yep, I doubt they let any RB but him touch the ball. This guy doesn't even have a preseason touch to his credit.
He had 8 carries in preseason week 1, but wasn't very good at all with them. However, despite that he made the PS; which does say something.

This seems almost too good to be true - Reaves will be getting all of the Panthers' RB touches almost to himself?
Yep, I doubt they let any RB but him touch the ball. This guy doesn't even have a preseason touch to his credit.
He had 8 carries in preseason week 1, but wasn't very good at all with them. However, despite that he made the PS; which does say something.
Actually he showed more than our 6th rounder from last year. And regardless they will want to spell Williams considering the injury is lingering a bit. So someone is going to get some touches and there isn't anyone else left at this point

We'll see.

He tried to do the same thing last week he is doing this week, limited practice and try to play, but he reaggravated his hammy. We all know how those persistent hammy injuries can go. It also sounds like Stewart is potentially out for a month.

The guy is all legs and can move a pile. Does he lack elite speed? sure. But the 39 in vertical makes me think his explosiveness might be underrated.

Tolbert has a hairline fracture/bone bruise in his left leg below his knee and is expected to miss at least a month. Stewart has a severely sprained right knee.

Shula said a few bumps in the road were to be expected.

“It’s a new offensive line that’s growing together. I think we’re going to get better every week,” he said. “We’ve got younger guys playing new positions than we had last year.”

Despite the spate of injuries, Shula said he’s committed to establishing the run.

“If there’s a guy back there that’s a running back, we’re going to run the ball,” he said.

They may have some new running backs, too. In addition to Tolbert and Stewart, fourth-string back Fozzy Whittaker (strained quadriceps) is also hurt.

That leaves Darrin Reaves, who was activated from the practice squad last week, and Lache Seastrunk, who was signed to the practice squad last week, as the only healthy options behind Williams on the roster.

Rivera indicated the Panthers would evaluate free agent options.

Despite the spate of injuries, Shula said he’s committed to establishing the run.

“If there’s a guy back there that’s a running back, we’re going to run the ball,” he said.

Byron Bell, who shifted from right tackle to Gross’ former spot, said getting the running game in gear is more of a mindset than anything else.

“We’re going to have to change our attitude. Running the football ain’t nothing but attitude,” Bell said. “We got to get the snot bubbles going. We’ve got to fit up on our guys and stay on ‘em. If we do that, we’ll be fine.”

Actually he showed more than our 6th rounder from last year. And regardless they will want to spell Williams considering the injury is lingering a bit. So someone is going to get some touches and there isn't anyone else left at this point
It would be pretty funny for all the dollars they have spent at RB if this PS RB steps in and outproduces all of them put together....

It would be pretty funny for all the dollars they have spent at RB if this PS RB steps in and outproduces all of them put together....
We here in Carolina have been saying for a long time they overspent on too little production. If that happens the "I told you so" will be heard all up and down the East Coast.

We here in Carolina have been saying for a long time they overspent on too little production. If that happens the "I told you so" will be heard all up and down the East Coast.
You gentlemen both know this, but honestly... :deadhorse:

Interested to see what either one of them could do. DeAngelo, for as much as I like him as a Panthers fan, has lost a step or three over the past few years. He's not the same guy he once was. Reaves apparently can push the pile, which will be needed with the OL blocking. I do wonder if Lache's ability to make someone miss will be of more value ultimately. Generally a Carolina RB is going to need to make at least one DL miss to gain any yardage.

Tolbert to des IR. Will be out until wk 13. LB DJ Smith promoted to the 53 (not Seastrunk)

Interesting

They won't play this weekend with only two active RBs. The question is who.

I would think Brockel could assume Tolbert's fullback role (while likely removing Tolbert's designed plays)

Technically they had 2 active vs the Steelers if you consider Tolbert a FB

You gentlemen both know this, but honestly... :deadhorse:

Interested to see what either one of them could do. DeAngelo, for as much as I like him as a Panthers fan, has lost a step or three over the past few years. He's not the same guy he once was. Reaves apparently can push the pile, which will be needed with the OL blocking. I do wonder if Lache's ability to make someone miss will be of more value ultimately. Generally a Carolina RB is going to need to make at least one DL miss to gain any yardage.
Yeah it is.

I was very excited by how powerfully Reaves ran in the pre-season. I looked at some college tape of him and he showed patience plus the ability to get a defender to set and go around. He doesn't have breakaway speed but he could be a very good power type back .

I would think Brockel could assume Tolbert's fullback role (while likely removing Tolbert's designed plays)

Technically they had 2 active vs the Steelers if you consider Tolbert a FB
They're likely exploring options, or else Whitaker is closer to returning than given credit for. Riverboat Ron said they were going to look at some FAs likely, so I'd imagine some guys come in for workouts on Tuesday with a decision made this afternoon. Lache has a head start on the playbook and could still be promoted.

Brockel can play FB, but Brockel, to my knowledge, isn't nearly the pass blocking maven that Tolbert is, a role that is right now of ultimate importance with Cam so banged up.

So I see a few things here:

1) DW must be close (hopefully practices tomorrow)

2) Reaves next in line / Whitaker close to a return

3) someone else brought in if Whitaker not close or if DW still hurting (likely Lache)

I believe you're confusing Reaves with Branden Oliver. Currently it's just DeAngelo and Reaves, but there's no chance Carolina goes to gameday like that. Whittaker may be close to a return (haven't heard anything about his quad injury), and, if not, I'd expect either a FA to be signed or Lache to be brought up from the PS.

Losing Tolbert sucks for the panthers, but really helps us losers that need deangelo or Stewart to produce well, when either happens to be healthy. If deangelo can time his next injury for when Stewart comes back, perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread