What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darrin Reaves - RB - Carolina Panthers - UDFA (1 Viewer)

DW still coming back from injury. If good to go, he's probably set to get a lot.

Couple things here:

1) Team still likes Whittaker a lot and had deemed him week-to-week after pulling his quad in the Detroit game. Not sure if he'll be back or not, or if he'd be ahead of Reaves. He was ahead of Reaves following the preseason, however.

2) Poole should know a lot of the system already as he spent 2012 preseason with Carolina, and was set to make the team before being injured late in the preseason. A lot of fans speculated he was IR'd to protect his rights instead of exposing him to waivers. Has bounced around the league since then, but could transition quickly if he is needed.

I don't know what this says about DW or Seastrunk, or both. My gut tells me DW may still not be right and they needed a back on the PS they could pull up and plug in if needed (if Whittaker isn't good to go), even if Poole wasn't the pure talent of the one they cut.

DW still coming back from injury. If good to go, he's probably set to get a lot.

Couple things here:

1) Team still likes Whittaker a lot and had deemed him week-to-week after pulling his quad in the Detroit game. Not sure if he'll be back or not, or if he'd be ahead of Reaves. He was ahead of Reaves following the preseason, however.

2) Poole should know a lot of the system already as he spent 2012 preseason with Carolina, and was set to make the team before being injured late in the preseason. A lot of fans speculated he was IR'd to protect his rights instead of exposing him to waivers. Has bounced around the league since then, but could transition quickly if he is needed.

I don't know what this says about DW or Seastrunk, or both. My gut tells me DW may still not be right and they needed a back on the PS they could pull up and plug in if needed (if Whittaker isn't good to go), even if Poole wasn't the pure talent of the one they cut.
I liked Poole and as you say he should know the system well enough to step in if need be. I think people are forgetting Brockel. We have been here before. And a fullback named Brad Hoover, a fan favorite, came out of nowhere to run for over a 100 yards and catch for over 40. Killed GB that day. Richie isn't quite Hoov but he's close.

We also cannot forget that this Panthers coaching staff has been utterly clueless for years when it comes to using their RBs correctly. Hell, they don't use DeAngelo or Stewart enough when one or either is healthy, so I doubt if this Reaves guy got the call, they'll suddenly decide to wise up and give him a lot of touches. They simply cannot be trusted. As always, avoid Carolina RBs like the plague.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could buy that with Brockel if he had ever carried the ball.

Hoover was an all-state RB in HS and an all-conference RB in college at Western Carolina. Then he bulked up to play FB in the league.

To my knowledge, Brockel has never played anything outside of TE at Boise State and has played FB in the pros.

I could buy that with Brockel if he had ever carried the ball.

Hoover was an all-state RB in HS and an all-conference RB in college at Western Carolina. Then he bulked up to play FB in the league.

To my knowledge, Brockel has never played anything outside of TE at Boise State and has played FB in the pros.
But he does have a 4.0 per carry average in the NFL. Sure the sample size is small. 3 carries but still. Really just reminding people he is out there. He may take the Tolbert role this week and going forward. Guy is 250 and should be good around the end zone.

Who was that other panthers RB that came out of nowhere about ten years ago. Another plodder. Forgot his name. He had a few big games and then disappeared the next year. Light skinned black dude.

Who was that other panthers RB that came out of nowhere about ten years ago. Another plodder. Forgot his name. He had a few big games and then disappeared the next year. Light skinned black dude.
Nick Goings - who will forever be remembered in Panthers lore.

Goings was a hybrid type jack of all trades though... and that OL he ran behind was utterly nasty.

Nick Goings - who will forever be remembered in Panthers lore.

Goings was a hybrid type jack of all trades though... and that OL he ran behind was utterly nasty.
True

Couple things here:

Kind of

If Gaffney was never injured Fozzy likely wasn't even picked up. If Reaves was healthy he might of just made the 53 over Fozzy.

Reaves got a ton of work with the 1st team in OTAs and early camp with Gaffney in school and D will and J Stew being the often injured vets. The staff seemed to love him.

Also, Cam in his presser today when asked about the RB scarcity.... "Don't be so down, Baby D is ready"

some of his metric numbers are also interesting

Couple things here:

Kind of

If Gaffney was never injured Fozzy likely wasn't even picked up. If Reaves was healthy he might of just made the 53 over Fozzy.

Reaves got a ton of work with the 1st team in OTAs and early camp with Gaffney in school and D will and J Stew being the often injured vets. The staff seemed to love him.

Also, Cam in his presser today when asked about the RB scarcity.... "Don't be so down, Baby D is ready"

39.5 inch vertical seems pretty insane. Of the combine, only McKinnon and Seastrunk topped that. I'm pretty excited to see him get touches this week.

Couple things here:

Kind of

39.5 inch vertical seems pretty insane. Of the combine, only McKinnon and Seastrunk topped that. I'm pretty excited to see him get touches this week.
That height and weight are way wrong.

https://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/reaves-vs-mjd.png

5-10 does seem way off. I could see 220.

panthers.com and walter both list 5-10 which is why you can take it to the bank he is 5-8. He looks 5-7 to me.

Couple things here:

Kind of

So we're going to go off of OTAs in July instead of camp in August and three weeks of the season thus far?

As a fan, I hope they put the best guy on the field that can get the job done. Gaffney never got a shot cause he got hurt on the first day - we have no idea where he would have settled out. Reaves got a ton of work as a result, likely because the team wanted to see if the UDFA was worth taking to camp or if they should keep shopping... that's the point of OTAs.

I'm sorry, but I can't knock Whittaker because Reaves got reps in July that then went to Whittaker in August, or that Reaves was exposed to waivers due to injury (subsequently signed to the practice squad) while the team felt strongly enough about Whittaker to keep him on the 53.

If Whittaker is healthy, my bet is he's still ahead of Reaves... he certainly has been every step of the way thus far. :shrug:

5-10 does seem way off. I could see 220.

panthers.com and walter both list 5-10 which is why you can take it to the bank he is 5-8. He looks 5-7 to me.
Walter is one of the worst sites out there. He was simply listed at 5-10 all year before his Pro Day. They just didn't update it. NFLDS is the only reliable source for height and weight.

Couple things here:

Kind of

So we're going to go off of OTAs in July instead of camp in August and three weeks of the season thus far?

As a fan, I hope they put the best guy on the field that can get the job done. Gaffney never got a shot cause he got hurt on the first day - we have no idea where he would have settled out. Reaves got a ton of work as a result, likely because the team wanted to see if the UDFA was worth taking to camp or if they should keep shopping... that's the point of OTAs.

I'm sorry, but I can't knock Whittaker because Reaves got reps in July that then went to Whittaker in August, or that Reaves was exposed to waivers due to injury (subsequently signed to the practice squad) while the team felt strongly enough about Whittaker to keep him on the 53.

If Whittaker is healthy, my bet is he's still ahead of Reaves... he certainly has been every step of the way thus far. :shrug:
I never meant to imply a knock on Fozzy

I just wanted to clarify that you shouldn't necessarily imply Reaves < Fozzy when Reaves was held out because of injury.

Reaves missed most of camp and still made the practice squad. As a UDFA you don't hear about that too much.

Couple things here:

Kind of

I am not sure I get all the Gaffney love I see. Dude is slow. He got run down from behind by JAGs in college. At best he may have been a good fullback at this level.

Very glad for this thread, grabbed him in preseason in several dynos. Looks like he may get some action this week with DeAngelo quasi-hurt.

To recap..

Tolbert - out until week 13

Stewart - knee sprain but did somehow turn in a limited practice late this week, still doubt he'll be good to go anytime soon

Williams - sprained ankle, left stadium in a walking boot, mri scheduled tomorrow, likely out at least 1 week

Fozzy - went down week 2 with a quad injury, put in exactly zero practice time this week, is considered week to week

Poole - 1 touch today and fumbled on that 1 touch

I didn't get a chance to catch the game but the box score says 2.2YPC. It also shows that he had 5 targets on the day (secured 3 for 11 yards). I'm hearing Anderson missed him on one of those targets where he was wide open. Anyway, how do you guys feel about flexing him vs. CHI in PPR? Seems like he's going to at the very least be involved in the passing game and volume should be there.

DeAngelo Williams (ankle) is listed as "week to week."
Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Williams' status for Week 5 against the Bears is in "serious doubt." Jonathan Stewart, Mike Tolbert and Fozzy Whittaker are also all sidelined, leaving just UDFA Darrin Reaves and practice squad callup Tauren Poole as healthy members of this backfield. Williams sustained his sprain during Sunday's loss at Baltimore.
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about a potential starting RB.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Williams' status for Week 5 against the Bears is in "serious doubt." Jonathan Stewart, Mike Tolbert and Fozzy Whittaker are also all sidelined, leaving just UDFA Darrin Reaves and practice squad callup Tauren Poole as healthy members of this backfield. Williams sustained his sprain during Sunday's loss at Baltimore.
Because he had 12 carries for 26 yards. I grabbed him up about a week ago and dynasty so I'm hoping for the best, but it's definitely a long shot. In redraft, he's not worth a bench spot until there's something to see, IMO.

Because he had 12 carries for 26 yards. I grabbed him up about a week ago and dynasty so I'm hoping for the best, but it's definitely a long shot. In redraft, he's not worth a bench spot until there's something to see, IMO.
How does that make sense? We have dudes like Asiata who have been super relevant (he's actually been a RB1 in PPR) over the past 3 weeks due to opportunity alone. Reaves may have less experience and a worse offensive line but he's essentially infinitely more athletic. I don't see how is isn't worth a spot in 12-team leagues.

How does that make sense? We have dudes like Asiata who have been super relevant (he's actually been a RB1 in PPR) over the past 3 weeks due to opportunity alone. Reaves may have less experience and a worse offensive line but he's essentially infinitely more athletic. I don't see how is isn't worth a spot in 12-team leagues.
The system is greatly in Asiata's favor, with Norv Turner and a good line there. Carolina has a terrible line. I still think he's worth a stash, I just don't think he has a very high chance of having an impact.

I think it is because Minnesota had a running game before Asiata got the start. I can't say the same for Carolina.

Interesting pessimism. Maybe I'm completely underestimating the ineptitude of the CAR organization as a whole. Still, opportunity is always the first hurdle to fantasy success, regardless of position.

I think it is because Minnesota had a running game before Asiata got the start. I can't say the same for Carolina.
Yes. Also, he needs both JStew and DWill to be out. It may happen this week but it might not happen ever again. If you have huge benches then sure, but there are plenty of other guys out there in my leagues that I'd rather take a flyer on over him.

He does have a good match up playing the Bears but I would be very hesitant to start him and I am in a 16 team start 1-3 running back league. You would have to be pretty desperate in a 12 team redraft.

My rbs after charles are jbell (concussed), pierce (likes to watch), pt (mystery disappearance), and crowell (caw caw who I dropped mckinnon for ). Id say im desperate :popcorn:

My benches are 10 deep in ffpc, so I was holding this guy everywhere in redraft regardless of desperation. Still, I'm giving this guy serious flex consideration in PPR this week. CHI is allowing an average of 14PPG to RBs in PPR. I'm going to have to rewatch the game before drawing any serious conclusions though. Any CAR homers care to comment on how he looked vs. BAL? Does the box score really tell the entire story? I see DWills was averaging 3.1 himself.

My benches are 10 deep in ffpc, so I was holding this guy everywhere in redraft regardless of desperation. Still, I'm giving this guy serious flex consideration in PPR this week. CHI is allowing an average of 14PPG to RBs in PPR. I'm going to have to rewatch the game before drawing any serious conclusions though. Any CAR homers care to comment on how he looked vs. BAL? Does the box score really tell the entire story? I see DWills was averaging 3.1 himself.
I watched all his plays on Rewind and between the bad blocking and off target passes it was hard to evaluate him. He looks good enough - pretty quick, good hands, but nothing really stood out.

My concern with Reaves, and this is a little tinged by a longer-term dynasty perspective, is that even if he's good there's no way Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert don't get significant touches when somewhat healthy. Unless he performs amazing, which is unlikely given his measurables, there's no way the Panthers don't make use of the RBs they've invested a ridiculous sum into (and can't get out of for at least another year).

That's not to say he's not worth a start or two for those with RB problems, but unlike a Crowell or Taliaferro I don't see any future for him.

My concern with Reaves, and this is a little tinged by a longer-term dynasty perspective, is that even if he's good there's no way Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert don't get significant touches when somewhat healthy. Unless he performs amazing, which is unlikely given his measurables, there's no way the Panthers don't make use of the RBs they've invested a ridiculous sum into (and can't get out of for at least another year).

That's not to say he's not worth a start or two for those with RB problems, but unlike a Crowell or Taliaferro I don't see any future for him.
What's negative about his measurables? Everything aside from long speed is above average.

Also..

Panthers waived RB Tauren Poole.
Poole was just promoted from the practice squad over the weekend. He handled one carry against the Ravens, losing a fumble on the play. It's a sign RB Fozzy Whittaker will be healthy along with Darrin Reaves for Week 5.

Is it too early to start dreaming about Todd Gurley? Looking at the last 3 or so drafts and running backs arent going that high anymore. I think the panthers will finish 9-7ish and still have a shot of getting him. Gurley or a left tackle.

Is it too early to start dreaming about Todd Gurley? Looking at the last 3 or so drafts and running backs arent going that high anymore. I think the panthers will finish 9-7ish and still have a shot of getting him. Gurley or a left tackle.
I think the RBs not going high has more to do with no elite talent at RB in the drafts. I'd be very very surprised if a 9-7 team gets him from their original slot. Also, the panthers might have enough money tied up in RB by now.

Yeah. Investing more premium resources in the RB position is what the Panthers need to succeed.

DeAngelo Williams told fans at a charity event on Monday that he has a high-ankle sprain and will miss a few weeks.
A severe high-ankle sprain usually calls for a 4-6 week timetable. Williams is already doubtful for Week 5, but he's now staring at a multi-game absence if he indeed has a high-ankle sprain. The Panthers' bye doesn't come until Week 12. Fozzy Whittaker, Darrin Reaves, and Chris Ogbonnaya will form a committee against the Bears. Jonathan Stewart (knee) is likely out at least another week.

Users who are viewing this thread