What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When the Game Stands Tall (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Inspired by a true story, When the Game Stands Tall tells the remarkable journey of legendary football coach Bob Ladouceur (played by Jim Caviezel), who took the De La Salle High School Spartans from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak that shattered all records for any American sport.
My wife and I caught this movie this past weekend. I enjoyed it even after thinking several times how corny it was with below average acting and overly dramatic music in many scenes. I felt the director often tried too hard to make it inspirational.

The on-field action is typical for the inspirational sports movie. The star RB, when determined, plows through would be tacklers like a fresh Christian Okoye in Super Techmo Bowl on his way to yet another TD. Undersized linemen show how heart overcomes size and strength. Prima donna WR who puts himself above the team. Lots of decleating tackles by the good guys, and so forth.

The movie is predictable and has more than its share of cliches and story lines of some other movies. A little bit of Remember the Titans, some Boyz in the Hood, a smidge of The Blind Side, and even a drop of Rudy for good measure. And don't forget Varsity Blues, Friday Night Lights and Invinsible. It even had a scene reminiscent of White Men Can't Jump. It has the requisite over-bearing father who puts a great deal of pressure on his athletic son. The only thing missing is a special needs equipment manager (Radio).

It seems audiences like the movie but critics not so much (at least on RT). Perhaps that has something to do with its obvious Christian undertones, I'm not sure. The story has a good message... building responsible young men with character is more important than winning ball games and the team is more important than the individual.

Despite a few eye-rolling moments, I really enjoyed it. It is rated PG with no bad language that I can remember. Overall, a good movie the whole family can see. There aren't enough of those, IMO.

3.5 out of 5 for me.

Inspired by a true story, When the Game Stands Tall tells the remarkable journey of legendary football coach Bob Ladouceur (played by Jim Caviezel), who took the De La Salle High School Spartans from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak that shattered all records for any American sport.
It seems audiences like the movie but critics not so much (at least on RT). Perhaps that has something to do with its obvious Christian undertones, I'm not sure. The story has a good message... building responsible young men with character is more important than winning ball games and the team is more important than the individual.

3.5 out of 5 for me.
So is the take away pray hard enough and God will lead you to a 151 game winning streak?

Meh. 2.5/5 Predictable, but interesting.

Might have upped it to 3/5 but the acting of the guy who played the head coach was so bad...

...how corny it was with below average acting and overly dramatic music in many scenes.

I felt the director often tried too hard to make it inspirational.

The on-field action is typical...

The movie is predictable and has more than its share of cliches...

Despite a few eye-rolling moments...

3.5 out of 5 for me.
Let's ease up on the hard sell here, guy.

...how corny it was with below average acting and overly dramatic music in many scenes.

I felt the director often tried too hard to make it inspirational.

The on-field action is typical...

The movie is predictable and has more than its share of cliches...

Despite a few eye-rolling moments...

3.5 out of 5 for me.
Let's ease up on the hard sell here, guy.
:shrug: It wasn't the best sports movie but I enjoyed it. It is certainly a wait for rental flick.

Meh. 2.5/5 Predictable, but interesting.

Might have upped it to 3/5 but the acting of the guy who played the head coach was so bad...
Gotta agree. Jim Caviezel (playing Head Coach Bob Ladouceur) seemed like he was a minor character in the film, and it was basically about the coach's life at DLS HS. Was pretty disappointed overall. Thought the best part of the film was during the credits when they showed the real Bab Ladouceur speaking to his players.

Last edited by a moderator:

3.5 out of 5 for me.
So is the take away pray hard enough and God will lead you to a 151 game winning streak?
no but it doesn't hurt, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread